Part 2 of Watching MCU movies for the first time. Done with Phase 2.

3,659 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Collective
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TLDR: This is part 2 of at least 4 of watching the entire MCU with my family for the first time. Just completed MCU Phase 2 tonight. Enjoy more nostalgia! Here's a link to my reactions to Phase 1: https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3278723/1]https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3278723/1]https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3278723/1

Rankings:

6. Iron Man 3
5. Thor: Dark World
4: Ant-Man
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
1. Captain America: Winter Soldier

Long Version (like REALLY long):

Oh boy. Oh boy. OH BOY! Good grief did things get crazier in Phase 2. I won't re-type the idea behind this as that's all mentioned in my original post on Phase 1. So let's jump right in to it!

6th Iron Man 3
Boy was this movie the hidden raisin in a perfect batch of brownies. Honestly while I'm writing this tonight I'm having a difficult time even remembering what the hell happened in this one. I actually just got done reading the Wikipedia plot for Iron Man 2 because I couldn't remember if it was this film or the previous one where he gets drunk at his birthday party. Turns out it was 2.

Wow this was bad. So due to the events of Avengers Tony Stark has PTSD…ok he did rocket himself with a nuke through an interdimensional portal assuming imminent death…might be a tad messed up from that. But…REALLY? Drunk actor half way through is the bad guy and we get a super rich dude who throws a fit cause Stark ghosted him at a New Years Eve party? And people can…..turn red and over heat to explode?

If you liked this movie, then hey, more power to you. But this was me through most of the movie:

5th Thor: Dark World
First off, even though this is 5th on the list it was WAY better than Iron Man 3. Way. Better.

Probably the best part of this whole movie (and something that I really hope gets explored more) is the relationship between Thor and Loki. The entire time during the 2nd act where both of these guys were on screen at the same time was just great banter back and forth. And while that was entertaining, you're always left wondering what Loki's true intentions are.

Asgard is still an amazing place to see. And I loved that the villians in this movie were elves. And not your Legolas, nice accented, LotR elves….no no these are alien elves with ray guns that can blow crap up. Was a fun little twist on the character type.

Thor as always is a lot of fun as a character. And it was nice to see his Earth squeeze actually have a stronger purpose in the film and develop her character a bit more. But just like the first Thor they had to screw it all up with…wait for it…another crappy run-of-the-mill love interest. But this time it's even more pointless cause it's Thor's Earth squeeze's science friend getting tail (I don't remember her name and I promised myself this whole type up would be without getting reminders from the Internet and I already screwed that up with Iron Man 3 so can't do it again).

And they also had old man science guy running around Stonehenge naked because….lazy writing?

Action: awesome! Thor: awesome! Loki: awesome! Red cloud of power: awesome!

Everything else:

Speaking of which…..

4th Ant-Man
Wow. Um….Wow. Knew this was going to be a different one when our villain shrunk a guy to a pile of red goo in the bathroom then flushed him down the toilet. Would've loved to have been an ant on the wall when that scene was first pitched and read to the mouse.

Seriously though I really enjoyed this one. Quite possibly next to another film yet to be named on this list was the most well done while being insanely bizarre movie so far in the MCU. With the most insane thing being Michael Douglas actually plays a good guy. I didn't know he had that type of range as an actor.

You could tell they had a lot of fun with the action scenes on this one. Every time Paul Rudd had the suit on I was glued to the screen cause I was expecting something imaginative and every time I frieking got it. Especially the final fight scene. I straight up can't remember smiling/laughing that much through the final good guy vs bad guy fight scene in a movie since Undercover Brother. The train tumbling over was just….just hilarious.

Alright so what were the problems with this one? Mainly it was the villain. It didn't help that every time I saw this guy on screen all I could see was a whiney Howie Mandel. But whenever I see this clich in a movie I just roll my eyes….so we have a CEO of this massive company who's got all the money in the world and what's his evil plan??? Sell a weapon to evil people so he can get…more money????

The only other problem I had was how it abruptly ended. We get this weird explanation from chubby John Leguizamo impression and then bam. Over. Was hoping after all the build up with Paul doing all this for his daughter and her future that there would have been a little more interaction at the end rather than dinner at the table (with a giant ant no less) and he ups and leaves cause he gets a call on his cell phone. But maybe that's the father of 3 in me talking.

Overall this movie had me smiling/laughing through most of it and even a tiny bit emotional from Douglas finally explaining what happened to mom/original wasp.

Good flick.

3rd Avengers: Age of Ultron
Boy I wanted to rate this one higher. I really did. But this one just didn't add up to nearly as much as the first Avengers movie. Not that it didn't have its high points as it's always fun to see these characters on the big screen together. But this movie just had me too many times going:

So why was that?

1. The entire plot was JUST DONE in Winter Soldier (and way better in that movie). As soon as Stark was trying to pitch to Banner the whole "super smart A.I. that will make everyone safe" I thought didn't we just see this? And of course (big surprise) it doesn't go well. Shocked.
2. Hulk still doesn't have his crap together? Seriously? Again, he's just chilling under a rock hanging out with his girlfriend (where the hell is she by the way) in his debut movie with no problems. And still in this one he's "scared to bring out the green guy" every time. And ok, yes the Scarlet Witch screws with his memories but so did all the other Avengers and they were able to lock it up and get their crap back together. Let Hulk smash.
3. Vision. Ok, I love the actor that plays him and never realized it was him doing the voice of Jarvis this entire time. But the mind stone basically gave live to Jarvis and it's a dude named Vision? Not saying he's not a cool character cause he is…..just gotta read up on this guy more to wrap my head around it and if anyone has any SPOILER FREE explanations that'd be awesome.
4. Speaking of Jarvis….this Ultron thing is supposed to be this super smart A.I. So….if it's super smart A.I. you're after….then…..WHAT THE HELL IS JARVIS? Is that not enough A.I. for you dude? He practically builds all your suits for you (you even pretty much say so yourself at the beginning of the movie) but nope….that's 500 free minutes of AOL cd-rom software compared to Ultron. And isn't the base of Jarvis what creates Vision?

So if I'm complaining this much then why is it #3? Cause the characters overall are awesome as hell yet again and sometimes that's enough. Captain America isn't as high and mighty which is refreshing (and yes the dang hammer shifted a tiny bit when he grabbed it). Hawkeye is in this a lot more and I enjoyed that….of course I can't wait to see his family tragically get killed so he can have a reason re-join the Avengers (sarcasm and while I don't know if this actually happens I'm calling my shot). Seeing Banner and Widow having some love interest was fun to see. And even Ultron surprised me a little being a robot with some sass. I was pleasantly surprised with his interactions with the characters and him being humanized a bit.

Speaking of Ultron, another compliment here was his first appearance to the Avengers. Something about the way he spoke but no lip movement and from a broken-down machine with missing parts. That was very menacing to see. While that scene played out, I took quick glances at the rest of my family watching and I could see just how tense they were seeing this creepy faced machine that can barely stand and move appear to be a legitimate threat to our heroes.

And while the Vision character still has me confused….I cheered…I literally cheered when after that entire conversation of "how do we know we can trust you" was done he just picks up Thors hammer and goes, "no idea but let's go anyway." So good. Oh man that was so good.

But what shocked me the most (in a good way) was the death of Quicksilver. I straight up did not see that coming. The build up to it. The line delivery. The reaction from his sister. All of it carried this big emotional weight that caught me way off guard and I let out an audible gasp when he first showed up on screen with all the bullet holes in him. That friekin sucked. And the way they showed Scarlet Witch reacting to it with the slow motion scream and then taking revenge on Ultron….man…..

2nd Guardians of the Galaxy
I have no idea where to start…..so I'm just going to start at the beginning….

Who is this kid? Why is he in a hospital? Oh that must be his mom. No hair and she appears to be dying of cancer. Sad. I barely know these characters and the mother just died. So why in the hell am I fighting back tears from characters I don't know??? I'm supposed to be watching a fun movie about a smart-ass trigger happy, mutant racoon with his pet tree and I'm dang near crying over a woman who I don't know who just died of cancer and her son who is now without both parents having an emotional breakdown over it. Good grief.

Oh look it's Chris Pratt pretending an alien lizard is a microphone. Funny. Oh must be the same kid from the beginning because even in alien space there appears to be an endless supply of AA batteries for tape players.

Wait, didn't realize the racist dude from Walking Dead was in this. Oh crap! Thanos actually has some dialogue in this one. It's getting real now. And he has kids? Wait the green chick is a bad guy?

Oh THERE'S the racoon and his pet tree. Wait they're bounty hunters and they don't like Chris Pratt either? I thought these guys were supposed to be a team.

You get the idea.

I had so much fun with this movie I was smiling through dang near all of it. And I feel this scene with Drax sums up the entire movie perfectly:

In the wrong hands, this line by Drax would be insanely corny and dumb as hell. But somehow the line is delivered in a way that makes it insanely awesome and funny. And that's essentially this movie. This could have been the biggest flop ever. And yet all these crazy concepts were brought together to make a perfectly awesome super hero movie filled with misfits.

And the climax. OMG the climax to this movie was incredible! Action was awesome! Character interaction was awesome! Villain was awesome! And just when I thought it was over…."We are Groot."

Seriously. I'm getting choked up over a talking tree. Are you friekin serious!?

But no, they had to punch me in the balls yet again. You have Rocket crying and holding parts of Groot on the ground, and Dave Bautista petting him. Dave Bautista is petting a crying wise-ass racoon that isn't even there, and I'm getting emotional yet again. Good grief what the hell is this movie anyway?

And who the hell is Star Lord's dad??? Obviously, he's not from Earth the story established that. So it's got to be a character we haven't seen yet. Right? Cause if it's not the way the line was delivered from blue whistle head it really limits our options to:

1. Thor: but very unlikely as I don't see him as the kind of guy that would hit it and quit it.
2. Loki: actually this could be possible seeing how he is kind of a dick.
3. Thanos: just….no….
4. Howard the Duck: 0% chance. But I wanted to have more than 3 names listed.

Anyways this has me intrigued as hell and very curious to see when we get the reveal on this one. I believe Vol. 2 of Guardians is in Phase 3 which we will be starting soon so hopefully we'll get the answer there.

1st Captain America: Winter Soldier
This is the most I probably ever yelled at a TV while watching a movie. And I mean that in a good way.

"Wait! Rewind that!"
"Holy crap did you see that!"
"He's in this!?"
"Where did that come from??"
"WOAH!!!!"

Seriously this movie was just a few blood spatters away from being rated-R. Right after viewing this I had to lookup the release date and see when Disney acquired the MCU because I couldn't believe Disney would be cool with a movie with this high of a body count. And clearly they are ok with it. Please take note of this in the future creators of Book of Boba Fett….

Cap in this is just….awesome. Just awesome! I love that he questions everything and isn't this boy scout character anymore. I love that he questions Fury over the whole plan from the start and turns out to be right. And dang….Hydra don't play games!

This movie is as if someone said, "Hey. Do you think we could do a Mission Impossible/Jason Bourne type movie in the MCU?" And turns out you can. And turns out it's the best thing ever.

The way they made Hydra so threatening in this was the most believable of any villain plot in the MCU thus far and by far the best executed. I never once felt comfortable for any of the characters in this movie and found myself leaning forward in my chair half way through because I just couldn't sit back and watch I was so engrossed.

But here's the most incredible part of this movie. I'm watching this knowing (for the most part) who's going to live through it. I know Nick Fury is going to live. I know Cap is going to live. I know Bucky is going to live. I know this because while I haven't seen the other movies, I remember the trailers and I remember (vaguely) their plots. So because of that I'm going to be a harder audience to entertain through it all. But even with knowing what I do, I still loved this movie from start to finish.

And yes we've still been going through the credits of every movie we've seen to make sure we don't miss any of the extra scenes. While it's hard to remember them all, I'll give it my best shot here:

1. Howard the Duck is with the Collector. Weird.
2. The red cloud of crap is also with the Collector thanks to Thor's buddies.
3. Bucky now knows he was once a good guy.
4. Thanos realizes if you want a job done right you've got to do it yourself…so the gloves coming on.
5. Cap and Falcon have Bucky who's apparently stuck in something.
6. Wasp 2.0 is about to join up.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a few end credits scenes but those are the main ones I can remember.

Anyways it's late as hell and I've been writing this up for over an hour. Time to crash and I'll most likely think of more to add once I've slept.

Alrighty! On to Phase 3 which I believe starts with Civil War. Oh crap.
DallasTeleAg
And in Phase 3...

Captain America: Civil War - Just as good, if not better (just depends who you ask)
Dr. Strange - What? How was this goofy movie so damn enjoyable?!
Guardians 2 - Just as good, if not better (just depends who you ask)
Thor: Ragnarok - Top 3 movie in the MCU, imo.
Spider Man: Homecoming - Fun movie
Avengers: Infinity War - Yeah, was a freaking amazing Avengers movie until...
Avengers: End Game - EPIC!

Edit: Unfortunately, you do have to deal with the stinker that is Cpt Marvel, but at least you only have to see it once!
BenFiasco14
AG
Howard the duck is voiced by Seth green
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
I absolutely love these reaction threads and love revisiting the MCU through your eyes. Really, this whole thing has been legit fun to follow.

That said, you should be lined up and shot, never to finish the MCU, for putting Iron Man 3 last, especially behind Thor: The Dark World. Shame on you for doing Shane Black, and one of my favorite MCU movies, so dirty.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's not a good movie.
TCTTS
AG
You're right.

It's a GREAT movie.
CubbieAggie
AG
Interesting that you have IM3 behind the Dark World. I think most people have IM3 as a step up from IM2 and the Dark World as a clear bottom 5 MCU movie, if not the worst. To me, TDW is clearly the worst. IM3, AntMan, and Age of Ultron are jumbled in the middle. I enjoy all of them and each have their strengths, but there too many issues to ignore. Winter Soldier and Guardians are clearly the top 2. Winter Soldier was when I knew that the MCU would be around for a while and wouldn't lose steam after the big Avengers team up. Incredible movie and also my #1 in phase 2 (by a very slim margin, Guardians is also fantastic).

The only real gripe I have is calling Michael Peña a "chubby John Leguizamo". Luis is a treasure, and I won't stand for that slander.
rhutton125
AG
Good stuff! Let's all please be careful not to tip him off on anything.

I'm not going to go out of my way to defend Thor 2 but I do think it has good stuff that he highlighted. It's bottom-5 but shouldn't be the default whipping boy of the MCU that the internet makes it out to be.
BenFiasco14
AG
CubbieAggie said:

Interesting that you have IM3 behind the Dark World. I think most people have IM3 as a step up from IM2 and the Dark World as a clear bottom 5 MCU movie, if not the worst. To me, TDW is clearly the worst. IM3, AntMan, and Age of Ultron are jumbled in the middle. I enjoy all of them and each have their strengths, but there too many issues to ignore. Winter Soldier and Guardians are clearly the top 2. Winter Soldier was when I knew that the MCU would be around for a while and wouldn't lose steam after the big Avengers team up. Incredible movie and also my #1 in phase 2 (by a very slim margin, Guardians is also fantastic).

The only real gripe I have is calling Michael Peña a "chubby John Leguizamo". Luis is a treasure, and I won't stand for that slander.

The Luis scenes always have me in borderline physical pain from laughter when he's telling a story
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I will say that I rewatched Dark World I think last year (had only seen it once when it came out), and I mostly enjoyed it. Granted I was expecting a complete trainwreck.

Still, not nearly as good as [redacted].
jokershady
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

And in Phase 3...

Captain America: Civil War - Just as good, if not better (just depends who you ask)
Dr. Strange - What? How was this goofy movie so damn enjoyable?!
Guardians 2 - Just as good, if not better (just depends who you ask)
Thor: Ragnarok - Top 3 movie in the MCU, imo.
Spider Man: Homecoming - Fun movie
Avengers: Infinity War - Yeah, was a freaking amazing Avengers movie until...
Avengers: End Game - EPIC!

Edit: Unfortunately, you do have to deal with the stinker that is Cpt Marvel, but at least you only have to see it once!
good grief i thought the final avengers movies were in phase 4.....dang.....

it's probably going to be late summer before i make a post on phase 3 and based on what i've heard i'll probably keep the final avengers movies separate from it all....

but with how epic these films are combined with the obi-wan series coming out at the end of may there's probably going to be a few weeks where we miss watching a film...

really looking forward to Civil War though and mainly because of my kids. Yes I'm genuinely excited for it but I know that spidey shows up in this one, but my kids don't. And they LOVE spider man (we've seen the toby mcguire films but not the andrew garfield ones).

on top of that, my older boys (they are 8 and 10) after seeing the picture on disney + go, "Hey dad. How come they look mad at each other?"

"Gee I don't know son guess we'll have to watch and see what happens."

jokershady
AG
maybe if he wasn't the first death in Predator he would have made a better iron man 3 movie

actually i hadn't heard of this guy until your post and dug up his IMDB page and saw he's had a hand in some pretty decent flicks....just funny that he was in the original predator.

Lethal Weapon? Amazing

Predator? Amazing

Iron Man 3? Not amazing
jokershady
AG
CubbieAggie said:

hey it's a lot of characters to keep track of. for this to be genuine i don't want to look anyone up so unless a name is repeated plenty of times in a film im going to default to a terrible (but hopefully entertaining) description instead.

for example....can't remember the name of the Thanos' green adopted mistake....but she's still cool.

hang on....she's adopted by Thanos and to my knowledge we don't know the origins of her parents from GotG....and we don't know who Star Lords father is yet......did this guy get around and we find out they're half siblings? DONT ANSWER THAT

and for the record, i did like Pena's character. it was killing me that I did recognize him but I couldn't determine from where and then it hit me...it was from seeing Tom & Jerry The Movie with my kids...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
Do people really think Civil War is better than Winter Soldier? I've never seen that opinion before.

Kudos to the OP for being the first person on Planet Earth to compliment the Dark Elves.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean to be fair, OP preferred Incredible Hulk to Iron Man, so there's varying MCU opinions out there.

But I would definitely rank Civil War at the bottom of the Cap trilogy.
The Collective
AG
These threads are my favorite thing going here right now.
Ulrich
"Why are there so many shoes in here?" is low-key one of my favorite lines in the MCU. That's one point for Dark World.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean to be fair, OP preferred Incredible Hulk to Iron Man, so there's varying MCU opinions out there.

But I would definitely rank Civil War at the bottom of the Cap trilogy.
you sure you haven't taken a quick trip to the quantum realm? i clearly have iron man ahead of the incredible hulk
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry, thought it was you. Some crazy person on your thread then.
jokershady
AG
As a matter of fact....based on my completely un-changed...very original movie rankings from my phase 1 post that apparently has a few posters coming from some weird altered reality that i would for some reason put hulk over iron man...i'll go ahead and rank all 12 of them thus far:

12. Iron Man 3
11. Captain America
10. Iron Man 2
9. Thor: Dark World
8. Thor
7. Ant-Man
6. The Incredible Hulk
5. The Avengers: Age of Ultron
4. Iron Man
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. The Avengers
1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
jokershady
AG
don't take my word for it go back and check the original thread....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Edited"...

Decay
AG
The more I rewatch the MCU, IM3 moves up in my rankings. It really was a mess the first time you watch it though.

Thanks for this. I'm glad you enjoyed Winter Soldier so much. It really made me realize the MCU can be a special part of cinema forever, beyond the financial and crossover success.
rhutton125
AG
Civil War is my personal fave so I hope you enjoy it. It almost feels small and quaint after IW/Endgame but it handles a cast of 12 superheroes pretty damn well IMO.
Beat40
Decay said:

The more I rewatch the MCU, IM3 moves up in my rankings. It really was a mess the first time you watch it though.

Thanks for this. I'm glad you enjoyed Winter Soldier so much. It really made me realize the MCU can be a special part of cinema forever, beyond the financial and crossover success.

You have phase 1, and even though The Avengers is a level up movie that bought a ton goodwill, Phase 1 distinctly feels like a comic. Nothing wrong with that, except we had many comic book movies prior to that.

Winter Solider, I believe, is the real level up moment for the MCU. The Russo brothers making a genre specific Super Hero movie was a stroke of genius and seemed to unlock something for the MCU - making new super hero movies while keeping a fresh feel. It brought weight to the MCU.

Winter Solider is my favorite of the MCU, and I believe changed the tone of the MCU going forward.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it was mainly Winter Soldier, but I also think it was the one-two punch of Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy (in April and August of 2014, respectively), that sealed the deal and truly level up the entire MCU. I remember people thinking it was so weird and goofy that the MCU was going to space, or at least setting an entire movie not on earth. That was a really big deal, and such a departure. Now, it feels completely normal.
The Porkchop Express
Winter Soldier was the first movie to really veer off from the trailer and the title and give you something new. If you watch the trailers, it looks like all the other early Marvel trailers - good guy fights bad guy, the end. Winter Soldier throws you completely off with the enemy within, the intense Nick Fury subplot, and getting freaking Robert Redford to be in the movie as a dick.

Before that you had Jeff Bridges in Ironman, William Hurt in Hulk, and Anthony Hopkins was a big casting in Thor, but you could chalk a lot of that up to the Shakespearean nature of the film and Kenneth Brannagh directing it. Getting Robert Redford for the sequel to the movie that made way less than Ironman 1 and 2, and even less than Thor, was monumental in how things went forward. Now you just sort of expect massive older stars to show up in key roles - Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jeff Goldblum, Cate Blanchett, Angela Basset, Forrest Whitaker, Laurence Fishburne, Kurt Russell, now Crowe AND Bale both in Thor.

Makes you wonder who second choice for Alexander Pierce would have been.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
jokershady
AG
good grief all those big names are still to come in these movies? that's pretty insane.

also....and if you can't do this without spoilers it's perfectly find to leave me hanging....but can anyone help me understand Vision? Cause from what I saw the only conclusion I can make is....

Ultron was trying to evolve and become greater than what he was as a machine since he was already in the Internet like a virus. So he steals a bunch of vibranium to cast over another body....what was the original body in that metal casket? was it just one of the random robots that were flying around?

anyways so there's this metal body getting covered in all this vibranium and before that he takes the yellow mind stone out of Lokis scepter and places it on the body assuming that he'd be able to use it.....but if he already has a robot in there and he's just covering it in vibranium then isn't his conscious already there? or was the body of Vision created from nothing other than the vibranium itself?

so....there's this body and he's trying to implant his consciousness in it but fails from the avengers intervening....and instead they find a way to put Jarvis in it, correct?

i dont know i just feel lost on this character because it honestly feels like they created life through a combination of the mind stone and jarvis which just seems too crazy even for a MCU movie which is why i feel like im missing something.
BenFiasco14
AG
The easiest way to understand it is to realize Vision is the product of attempting to combine Jarvis and Ultron.
jeffk
AG
Iron Man 3 was half really good and half super dumb. All the character development of Tony and his basically reinventing himself was excellent. The Mandarin switcheroo was great too. The actual villain and their fire powers and the final showdown were really lame.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From what I can even remember of Iron Man 3, the scene where he saves everyone from a plane crash was pretty cool.
DallasTeleAg
I enjoyed Iron Man 3. Great movie? No. But was entertaining, to me. I also always love seeing grown-ups being snarky towards kids.
rhutton125
AG
Yeah - making these disabled veterans into flaming mutants who are willing to kidnap the president or dive at a flying Iron Man suit was pretty silly to me.

Airplane rescue is still pretty sweet.
jeffk
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I enjoyed Iron Man 3. Great movie? No. But was entertaining, to me. I also always love seeing grown-ups being snarky towards kids.

You'd probably love The Adam Project then.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.