Outer Range

18,817 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Gigem314
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really liked the whole season. I kind of liked the drama over action. I think some of you think every movie needs to be comic level action or something. And really - was any of this crazier than say...Lost? Stanger things? Or any other number of shows like this?
91_Aggie
AG
javajaws said:

I really liked the whole season. I kind of liked the drama over action. I think some of you think every movie needs to be comic level action or something. And really - was any of this crazier than say...Lost? Stanger things? Or any other number of shows like this?

I had no problem with the pacing.
My problem is with the incomprehensible mystery/story actually is
Enviroag02
AG
I got to the end and realized I really didn't like this show at all.
Mike Elko
AG
I dig it. Strong start, meandering middle (like every show ever made), intriguing end. Looking forward to S2.
ZoneClubber
AG
Same. we like it.

The Tillerson family are awesome. I even like crazy Autumn, but not mumbling, weak Perry.

The only unforgivable thing is the gawd awful CGI, especially the animals.
Gigem314
AG
Enviroag02 said:

I got to the end and realized I really didn't like this show at all.
So in other words you arrived at this...

"There is a great void and I'm asking you to fill it!!!!"
Gigem314
AG
I really enjoy Josh Brolin in a cowboy role. He's truly a younger version of his friend Tommy Lee Jones. That was my motivation for watching it, and I thought he delivered well.

That being said...the storyline of this thing definitely fell apart and went into the weeds. I noticed after the first couple of episodes some were saying "This is like Yellowstone but with less silly drama!" ....is it though? /Thor

I can appreciate seeing something creative and out-of-the-box. Especially sci-fi that doesn't involve aliens (just so overdone these days). But yeah, this kind of fell apart as it went along, then left some puzzling questions at the end.

I'm a sucker for modern westerns though.
javajaws
AG
I don't think it fell apart...I just think they didn't go far enough in s1 to satisfy a lot of people's curiosity. And I get that - people have various expectations they want met. But I was fine with what was there as well as ending the season without knowing everything and left guessing.
AgGrad99
AG
javajaws said:

I don't think it fell apart...I just think they didn't go far enough in s1 to satisfy a lot of people's curiosity.
Agreed.

People wanted answers, and it threw a ton of questions at us, at the end. They'll need to answer some of those early in S2, or they'll lose the audience...but I wouldnt say it fell apart, at all.
scoop12
AG
So what all did they wrap up/reveal?
1. Royal traveled through the hole as a child after accidentally killing his father in 1886 and met Will Paxton's character (assumption here)
2. Autumn is actually Amy
3. Rebecca is still alive

Open questions:
1. Where did Perry end up?
2. What was Amy's journey to becoming Autumn (and why did Autumn tell Royal 'its nice to finally meet you' when they first met?
3. Where has Rebecca been this whole time and why did she leave?
4. WTF is going on with Will Paxton's character?
5. Why does the hole go away?
6. Is the sheriff in another timeframe now? I missed how she got where she was
7. Will they lose the ranch because of Perry disappearing (seems an obvious yes at this point)?
8. Why all the weird out of nowhere behavior from Autumn and the singing brother?
9. What is the significance of the mining company teased mid-season?
10. How does Royal die?
Etc etc.

The season ending felt more like a mid season break as they didn't really conclude anything in this season. Sure, they peeled some layers back, but nothing really substantive. I like the mystery overall, but don't think this was a very satisfying season given the number of story lines they teed up without any payoff.
Gigem314
AG
Yeah, it left a lot of questions. It just seemed to get too into the weeds with everything they started throwing into the storyline. I get that they wanted to leave some things unanswered, I just feel like all the numerous side-stories got distracting toward the end and took it off course. And the whole 'bear' thing was just stupid. It added nothing to the storyline.
Max Power
AG
I'm through 7 episodes now and this show has gotten really frustrating. It doesn't feel like there's any point to anything right now. It's getting weirder, and not in a way that I'm intrigued anymore. It just feels like they're throwing nonsense around. They have a great cast and it just feels like it's being wasted on something with no real purpose. Nothing has been remotely explained so far, I would have no issue with the weird factor growing, if some of the weird had some sort of explanation.
NASAg03
This reminds me so much of The Leftovers, which I liked but also left me constantly confused and ultimately disappointed. Honestly this could be a prequel to The Leftovers.

I loved the final episode though. The music, the random singing, the cinematography of the rodeos, the building drama. The pace of the last episode and the adrenaline rush made it worth it, even if there are more questions than answers.

I have very mixed feelings about any show centered on time travel. It gets too confusing, too fast.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Rascal
AG
scoop12 said:

So what all did they wrap up/reveal?
1. Royal traveled through the hole as a child after accidentally killing his father in 1886 and met Will Paxton's character (assumption here)
2. Autumn is actually Amy
3. Rebecca is still alive

Open questions:
1. Where did Perry end up?
2. What was Amy's journey to becoming Autumn (and why did Autumn tell Royal 'its nice to finally meet you' when they first met?
3. Where has Rebecca been this whole time and why did she leave?
4. WTF is going on with Will Paxton's character?
5. Why does the hole go away?
6. Is the sheriff in another timeframe now? I missed how she got where she was
7. Will they lose the ranch because of Perry disappearing (seems an obvious yes at this point)?
8. Why all the weird out of nowhere behavior from Autumn and the singing brother?
9. What is the significance of the mining company teased mid-season?
10. How does Royal die?
Etc etc.

The season ending felt more like a mid season break as they didn't really conclude anything in this season. Sure, they peeled some layers back, but nothing really substantive. I like the mystery overall, but don't think this was a very satisfying season given the number of story lines they teed up without any payoff.

And how did time traveling Amy meet modern day little girl Amy at the mountain? How could they both exist at the same time and place and be talking to each other?

This show has sort of a Man in High Castle feel to it to an extent. I loved that show. Still unsure about this one although I love Brolin in this role and the setting/cinemetography.
Max Power
AG
Finished it, what a waste of time that was.
goadius6
AG
NASAg03 said:

This reminds me so much of The Leftovers, which I liked but also left me constantly confused and ultimately disappointed. Honestly this could be a prequel to The Leftovers.

I loved the final episode though. The music, the random singing, the cinematography of the rodeos, the building drama. The pace of the last episode and the adrenaline rush made it worth it, even if there are more questions than answers.

I have very mixed feelings about any show centered on time travel. It gets too confusing, too fast.
Whoa...Leftovers was phenomenal, show some respect
Mike Elko
AG
Max Power said:

Finished it, what a waste of time that was.
Cool. Less complaining on this thread for S2. (You and several others.)
oragator
I'm just peeved that I just missed it…I had guessed autumn was a time displaced family member, but thought it was from his past and not the present/future.
Glad the season ended when it did, I enjoyed it but the last few episodes it felt like they were killing time til the big final 15 minutes of this one. They kind of ran out of ideas. They need a reboot if it comes back, start fresh - even with all the open questions there are.
AgGrad99
AG
I didnt feel that way at all.

A lot happened the second half of the season. All the various characters were working out their own personal battles, while intertwined with the main storyline.
oragator
To each their own, but in the end, what purpose did Billy serve to the overall story at all for instance? It could have easily been written without him and nothing would have been lost, other than not having to hear that annoying singing. Or Patricia? Or having the dude in a coma for half the season? Speaking of which, how nice is it to be in a coma and need almost no medical care? I was fine that they left it in, but did anyone really care about the police chief election?

And then the whole downtown shoot out made no sense for anyone. Come find me downtown, and let's have a public duel with business security cameras catching the whole thing? Shooting up cars, businesses etc. who would do that?

As I said I liked it, but it needs to go somewhere. Decide on a few storylines, and do them justice. And after 6 or 7 hours of TV, every single story line is open, nothing was resolved. Rhett isn't happy, Perry is missing, Amy is missing, mom is in a breakdown, Rebecca was kind of found but we know nothing there, Autumn may or may not be ok with being at the house, Royal is all over the map, the neighbors are still fighting for the land, dad is still in a coma, and amidst all that, the story behind the hole was barely revealed other than Royal coming out of it along with a crap ton of Buffalo.
We did learn where Autumn and Royal came from, and that's about the only actual resolution in the whole season, other than a couple of dead brothers. I am ok with mystery, but at some point, solve a thing or two.

Jmo.
AgGrad99
AG
I thought Billy's arc was interesting. He went from the 'weird mentally challenged singing bro' to a guy who was pulling the strings of the family by the end. He knew more than anyone thought, and had his older bro by the short ones.

I also noticed that the people who'd been exposed to the hole/black rock stuff started to lose it mentally. Royal, Autumn, Billy, Wayne.

Patricia wasn't distracting or anything. She was just an ancillary character...the former ex-wife in it for the money/power. The dad in the coma allowed Luke to assume control, until we realized he wasnt. You saw that Luke was like her, and Billy like his dad.

I guess I dont really need stuff resolved at the end of 8 episodes. I do agree that they'll need to answer some questions to move the story along with S2 starts up.

Again, it was weird. I get why people would hate it. I kinda liked it.
AgGrad99
AG

To your point about the shootout, that was pretty dumb. It especially stands out, since we now know that Royal is that girl's grandad. Was she good with her grandad dying? Does she know that he is her grandad?

The bear thing with the mom was odd. I guess it was supposed to show the momma bear meeting her demise, trying to protect/get revenge for her baby. A simile for what Cecilia is going through maybe? But it was kind of stupid.
lazuras_dc
AG
Started off really good. To me it was Yellowstone meets Dark. It's sort of has some Lost elements to it I suppose.

I started to get kind of weird with autumn and all the cult stuff: cutting herself and making out with the singing dude. And CGI animals was cringeworthy.

What's with the mom using a dead baby bear to bite her hand ?

This explanation had some good points to it:

Straight Talk
AG
I was ready to abandon ship halfway through the first episode for one specific reason. Turn on some f*****g lights! I can't stand scenes where it is so dark you can't see anything. But the spouse was fascinated so on we went.

I like to try and figure plot lines and character development in drama series but when dealing with time travel fiction there is very little you can guess. The writers are not bound by logic, physics or science. It means the talent needed to make an intricate story work is not high, just make up some unexplainable time travel sh*t. Another thing about super low lighting is there is little need for detailing scenery. Just turn all the lights off and claim artistic license.

The aforementioned spouse will watch season 2 and I'll be on the couch next to her on TexAgs.
cbr
AG
Just here to say im about 5 episodes in and its pretty good
oragator
Season 2 confirmed.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/outer-range-renewed-season-2-193000241.html
An L of an Ag
AG
Well ****, we'll probably end up watching this. The first season was juuust compelling enough and had a loose end or two that I was wondering about.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
It's coming May 16th.

https://www.screennearyou.com/news/prime-video-unveils-outer-range-season-2-premiere-date-and-details/

Quote:

Fans can rejoice as the gripping saga returns with all seven episodes dropping at once, promising an intense and thrilling viewing experience.

In this season, viewers will dive deeper into the enigmatic world of rancher Royal Abbott, portrayed by the talented Josh Brolin. Set against the vast and mysterious backdrop of Wyoming's wilderness, the Abbott family finds themselves grappling with new challenges and unexplained phenomena, including a haunting void that threatens everything they hold dear.

Quote:

Moreover, the new season welcomes Christian James, Megan West, Daniel Abeles, Kimberly Guerrero, and Monette Moio in recurring roles, promising a dynamic ensemble cast.

The Vanity Fair article goes into much more details, but - warning - is full of spoilers from S1 and talks about S2:
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/josh-brolin-outer-range-season-2-first-look

I stopped reading when it started to talk about how season 2 starts.

Main surprising fact, to me, is that Brolin apparently forced a change at showrunner, parting with the creator for a more experienced TV guy. I liked the first season a lot, so I'm kind of surprised he was unhappy with the pacing of it. But it could mean that S2 is more direct in addressing the mysteries.

Quote:

"We were all waiting." That's how Josh Brolin describes the six-month gap between when his first TV series in 20 years, Outer Range, premiered on Prime Video in April 2022, and when the streamer finally announced the commissioning of a second season that October. "There was a big fan base, but it wasn't a runaway hit," says Brolin, both a star and executive producer on the project. "I was like, 'Look, I feel that this is worth it. I can go do a movieI don't have to do thisbut there's something in this that's golden. Let's keep exploring it.'" After receiving the official green light, Brolin jumped at the chance to "refine our idea" for the high-concept series, an effort which pays rich rewards in Outer Range's second season, all seven episodes of which will premiere on May 16. It required a makeover behind the scenes.
TCTTS
AG
Outer Range
Season 2 (7 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11685912/
May 16, 2024
Amazon Prime Video

Gigem314
AG
Looks like I'm gonna get sucked into this again. Such a great role for Brolin.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.