*** THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS *** (SPOILER THREAD)

10,602 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jorgerr96 said:

I saw The Matrix for the first time like 3 weeks ago when they had it on Imax at AMC, and I really liked it so I went ahead and watched Resurrections (I skipped both Reloaded and the other movie). It had some fun jokes but that's about it lol

Reloaded is worth a watch. Not as good as the matrix but still a good action flick. You can skip Revolutions.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
bobinator
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The entire resolution to the trilogy hinged on destroying Smith, and yet now he's back without explanation, with no discernible motivation, and then never even resolved.

Wait is the whole thing also actually a Star Wars metacommentary because now I need to rethink things
Tobias Funke
AG
It wasn't great, but after rewatching 2 and 3 in the past month, I found this to be a heck of a lot more entertaining.

Low bar, though, because I didn't understand a lot of this and I don't really care to watch it again. Glad I just HBOMaxed it.
Prosperdick
AG
Feel like most on here after watching it last night (kids are finally past the Santa age so a lot less stressful Christmas Eve). Anyway, something that bugged me and I suppose is prevalent in the other movies but really hit home in this one is why do all the agents have stormtrooper aim when shooting at Neo and others?

It was especially egregious in the train where they had easy open shots but somehow missed them. They supposedly are super soldiers who can dodge bullets but apparently can't aim and hit the broad-side of a barn.

I realize there are much bigger issues with the film (especially the lack of exciting fight sequences) but it really bugged me.
fig96
AG
This is a recurring issue in any film dealing with super powered beings.

In Star Wars/Harry Potter/Matrix, why can't the Jedi/wizards/agents just fire up their abilities to take over the encounter at any point in time?
The Porkchop Express
AG
HBOMax streaming and COVID such, but this to be among the all-time tank jobs for a known property at the domestic box office

12/22: $6.4 million
12/23: $4.1 million
12/24: $2.7 million

$13.2 million domestics, $22.3 million worldwide

Screen Rant estimates its budget was $175 million and would need to make $350 million to recoup all costs.

Tibbers
helloimustbegoing said:

HBOMax streaming and COVID such, but this to be among the all-time tank jobs for a known property at the domestic box office

Screen Rant estimates its budget was $175 million and would need to make $350 million to recoup all costs.

Oof, that's worse than cutthroat island. You think Warner Brothers will be done with the Transchowskis after this?
Prosperdick
AG
Tibbers said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Oof, that's worse than cutthroat island. You think Warner Brothers will be done with the Transchowskis after this?

The irony that Warner "Brothers" bankrolled this.
Tibbers
Prosperdick said:

Tibbers said:

helloimustbegoing said:

The irony that Warner "Brothers" bankrolled this.

I'm surprised Hollywood will still allow them to be called that hateful term.
fig96
AG
Can we skip the transphobic jokes?
Tibbers
fig96 said:

Can we skip the transphobic jokes?

No. It's funny. Its also not transphobic. It's comedy. It's a movie where the antagonist is a psychiatrist and it's directed by someone with a mental illness. Now that's comedy!
TCTTS
AG
Seriously. Super weird to see.
TCTTS
AG
People used to refer to the gay community as suffering from mental illness too. Yet we've moved far, far past that. This really is no different. And even if it were purely due to mental illness, it's incredibly insensitive to mock people going through something like that.

Grow the hell up.
Tibbers
TCTTS said:

People used to refer to being gay as a mental illness too. Yet we've moved far, far past that. This really is no different. And even if it were purely due to mental illness, it's incredibly insensitive to mock people suffering from something like that.

Grow the hell up.

A sex change is different than being gay, but ok. Live your life however you'd like, makes no matter to me. Lighten up however. Life is too short to take it so seriously.

Comedy is surprises. So if you're intending to make somebody laugh and they don't laugh, that's funny.
fig96
AG
Tibbers said:

TCTTS said:

People used to refer to being gay as a mental illness too. Yet we've moved far, far past that. This really is no different. And even if it were purely due to mental illness, it's incredibly insensitive to mock people suffering from something like that.

Grow the hell up.

A sex change is different than being gay, but ok. Live your life however you'd like, makes no matter to me. Lighten up however. Life is too short to take it so seriously.

Comedy is surprises. So if you're intending to make somebody laugh and they don't laugh, that's funny.
I enjoy making fun of people different than me, it's funny And not demeaning of those people at all.
TXAG 05
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Ouch
Tibbers
fig96 said:

Tibbers said:

TCTTS said:

Grow the hell up.

I enjoy making fun of people different than me, it's funny And not demeaning of those people at all.

Uh oh, can't make jokes about things unless we ALL can laugh. Have you ever seen stand up comedy?

But but but! Women are different than men so we can't have jokes about them either!!
fig96
AG
Tibbers said:

fig96 said:

Tibbers said:

TCTTS said:

Grow the hell up.

Uh oh, can't make jokes about things unless we ALL can laugh. Have you ever seen stand up comedy?

But but but! Women are different than men so we can't have jokes about them either!!
Newsflash: you're not Norm McDonald, you're a guy being transphobic on a message board.

Comedians make fun of situations or people by making clever observations or being otherwise insightful. You're just letting your biases shine and somehow thinking that's funny.
Tibbers
Well yeah, he's dead.
The Porkchop Express
AG
fig96
AG
See, unlike your other posts that was actually kinda funny. (Maybe too soon though.)
The Debt
JD Shellnut said:

I thought the concept and ideas were very cool, but the execution was off. Something just wasn't quite right.

No pp in control
The Debt
Desiring to mutilate your flesh because your brain doesnt accept your biology is the very definition of a mental illness.

Progressivism has made leftists lose rational thinking. "Hey this is a civil rights cause." No, it's a sickness that has people sterilizing themselves and you are dumb and evil enough to celebrate them while they do it.
Tibbers
The Debt said:

Desiring to mutilate your flesh because your brain doesnt accept your biology is the very definition of a mental illness.

Progressivism has made leftists lose rational thinking. "Hey this is a civil rights cause." No, it's a sickness that has people sterilizing themselves and you are dumb and evil enough to celebrate them while they do it.

Shh, you can't make fun of that. You can however make fun of death because everyone dies.
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
Since you believe it's a mental illness, what are some other mental illnesses you like to make fun of?
TCTTS
AG
Great question.

I've never understood why "mental illness" makes someone okay to mock. Why not instead have empathy for these people? Mental illness or not, they feel trapped in the wrong body/gender. That must be a hellish existence, and the last thing I would do is make fun of that person and mock their pain.

Now, if you want get angry at a parent who encourages their eight-year-old to start taking hormone pills or get some kind of elective, gender-related surgery? I'll be right there with you in saying that's insane. That, and I can't f/cking stand the type of parents in LA who are disappointed when their children start showing the personality traits of their birth gender (as opposed remaining "gender neutral").

But mocking trans people for having a "mental illness" is A) far oversimplifying the situation, and B) says more about you than it does about them.
Tibbers
TCTTS said:

I've never understood why "mental illness" makes someone okay to mock. Why not instead have empathy for these people? Mental illness or not, they feel trapped in the wrong body/gender. That must be a hellish existence, and the last thing I would do is make fun of that person and mock their pain.

Now, if you want get angry at a parent who encourages their eight-year-old to start taking hormone pills or get some kind of elective, gender-related surgery? I'll be right there with you in saying that's insane. That, and I can't f/cking stand the type of parents in LA who are disappointed when their children start showing traits of their birth gender (as opposed remaining "gender neutral").

But mocking trans people for having a "mental illness" is A) far oversimplifying the situation, and B) says far more about you than it does about them.

Let's hate Ben Stiller then while we're at it! Cancel that clown, am I right?

But to answer your question, the reason things are funny is precisely because you care. "You can't make fun of something you hate, it comes off as spiteful."
TCTTS
AG
You're missing the entire point of that character if you think that's mocking mental illness. Rather, Stiller is mocking the system that *uses* mental illness to try and win acting awards.
Tibbers
TCTTS said:

You're missing the entire point of that character if you think that's mocking mental illness. Rather, Stiller is mocking the system that *uses* mental illness to try and win acting awards.

That's why I included the quote…
The Porkchop Express
AG
This thread is on the verge of sucking worse than the movie.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Tobias Funke said:

It wasn't great, but after rewatching 2 and 3 in the past month, I found this to be a heck of a lot more entertaining.

Low bar, though, because I didn't understand a lot of this and I don't really care to watch it again. Glad I just HBOMaxed it.

Definitely better than 2 or 3 and for that I enjoyed it. I ignored some of the unresolved crap who cares. It was borderline mocking itself with the meta references to the Trilogy of Matrix games. But it worked for me.

My absolute favorite thing about this move is that many years ago this would be itself extended into another trilogy. But instead they just solved everything in an instant and ignored resolving things they didn't care to - I liked that it really moved right along. Very little drawn out - need some Deus ex Machina... boom Smith is here. Neo imprisoned and they made no complex long drawn out way to bust out just walk on the patio (who has a patio in a prison cell) and boom sorta digital dude is there and we move on. Genius. And appreciated. LOL

Thanks for brevity at least. I. don't want to overanalyze or overthink it. I did that too much with 2 and 3. Just wrap it up.
Tibbers
helloimustbegoing said:

This conversation feels like the last third of the movie and I'm talking to a couple of NPH's.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I think they should have gone the opposite way and turned this into an HBO Max series. Because it's not a bad story. It was just badly executed.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Tibbers said:

helloimustbegoing said:

This conversation feels like the last third of the movie and I'm talking to a couple of NPH's.

True the only long drawn out part really was NPH lecture time but it made me want to punch him in the face and then she punched him in the face several times so it felt like justice was served.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Honestly, I think they should have gone the opposite way and turned this into an HBO Max series. Because it's not a bad story. It was just badly executed.

I don't know I would not want to watch 10 hours of a 2.5 hour story.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.