*** ETERNALS ***

26,456 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the final trailer just released, I figure it's time for an official thread...

Eternals
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9032400/
November 5, 2021
Theatrical Exclusive

TCTTS
AG
Max Power
AG
Honestly this is one of the very few MCU trailers that doesn't do much for me. The cast looks great, but the trailer doesn't give me much to get excited about. Perhaps Eternals is part of the Nomadland universe and the villain is Jeff Bezos.
wangus12
AG
Man I'm really excited to see Kit Harrington as Black Knight.

schmendeler
AG
this was a good trailer. i was ambivalent before but now i'm interested.

i wonder, did half of them get snapped, too, or are they immune to such things?

when does the TVA come into play?
wangus12
AG
I think a lot of the TVA/Multiverse stuff isn't going to come into play until Spiderman NWH and Multiverse of Madness.
schmendeler
AG
ah ok
FightinTexasAg15
AG
wangus12 said:

Man I'm really excited to see Kit Harrington as Black Knight.

Ramin Djawadi is doing the score too - only thing about game of thrones I still like
The Dirty Sock
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The one Marvel movie I'm actually excited about. (Of the trailers we've seen.)
JJxvi
DallasTeleAg
I'm excited for this one.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm going to have to put myself in the "I don't get it" camp. If it didn't have Marvel's name on it, it would look like a Big Movie Star bloated fantasy piece with not that cool costumes and vaguely superheroy powers and CGI monsters.

And let's be real, no way anyone is calling Richard Madden and Kit Harrington anything but Jon Snow and Robb Stark, if there's not an in-joke in the movie, I'll be the most disappointed I've been since Man of Steel didn't have a Battlestar Galactica joke when Helo and Gaeta were in a scene together.

I think I would dig it a lot more if this was set on anywhere but Earth. I'm a lot more interested in the rest of the galaxy after the culmination of Endgame, that's why I'm a lot more excited about Thor, GOTG3, DS2, and Spiderman going either out of this world or out of this multiverse.

The Dirty Sock
Well, I'm hoping I'm Antman/GotG wrong about this one.
jeffk
AG
Pretty excited about this. Looks pretty amazing and it'll be fun to get introduced to some new characters.
TCTTS
AG
4K version of the latest trailer...

Sea Speed
AG
i hope angelina jolie's role is limited to what you see in the trailer. I will have to agree with several others as well that it looks kind of boring. Could also be a product of not being at all familiar with their story.
Belton Ag
AG
So I'm not familiar with the comics. Is this working with an exogenesis theme, a la Prometheus, when it comes to humans?

I wonder if whomever is behind these people is the same one behind the TVA/Kang.
The Dog Lord
AG
I've been really looking forward to this one, but honestly the final trailer was the worst one IMO. Some of the CGI doesn't look that great, but I'm still hopeful that it'll end up surprising us.
Sea Speed
AG
The Dog Lord said:

I've been really looking forward to this one, but honestly the final trailer was the worst one IMO. Some of the CGI doesn't look that great, but I'm still hopeful that it'll end up surprising us.

One thing I have learned on this board is that trailer CGI is often not the final product, but good enough for advertisements. They are still working on polishing it up, so expect it to be better in the actual movie.
TCTTS
AG
Typically, this is true. However, this was supposed to release nearly year ago, got pushed due to Covid, and has likely been complete for months now.
Sea Speed
AG
Woof. Way to go, marvel.
Sea Speed
AG
Could they have had this trailer cut and then just sat on it because delays, thereby not having to make a new one? It would save some money and they already have a big marvel fan base so may not be worried that the cgi may be a turnoff for some, even though they have the finished project available.
C@LAg
Belton Ag said:

So I'm not familiar with the comics. Is this working with an exogenesis theme, a la Prometheus, when it comes to humans?

Yes-ish. Celestials seeded the planets. The Eternals on each planet are its guardians of sorts.

I wonder if whomever is behind these people is the same one behind the TVA/Kang.

Definitely not. Kang is his own thing very much separate from the Celestials.
The Dog Lord
AG
Just FYI, I'm seeing tickets for sale in SA if others are interested in pre-ordering as well.
FancyKetchup14
AG
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Gotta support my fellow Korean, Don Lee...
YNWA_AG
AG
Worst metacritic score since thor 2. Yikes. We were thinking eternals had best picture nomination potential
The Dirty Sock
Yikes, some pretty bad early reviews.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
This makes me think to a few years back when Marvel had a bad wrap for not giving directors free reign to implement their vision.

Here, an award-winning director was given free reign and it sounds like it might be the one of the two or three worst Marvel movies ever.
Thanks and gig'em
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

Yikes, some pretty bad early reviews.
It's at 75% right now on Rotten Tomatoes.

Just for current reference: One Night in Soho is at 73% and Ghostbusters: Afterlife is at 79%
PatAg
AG
Critic score or audience score?
Feel like marvel movies only the audience score matters, for the most part
rhutton125
AG
That's a very good point and I'm glad someone said it. For better or worse, Marvel is letting filmmakers run wild a little bit. If it doesn't always work, it's seemingly not due to studio meddling.

Personally, the reviews intrigue me even more since they're so torn. Not that I want to leave the theater scratching my head, but at least its problems won't be the problems from, say, Captain Marvel or Thor 2 or Iron Man 2.
YNWA_AG
AG
Metacritic score is horrible
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.