*** ETERNALS ***

26,529 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got out

Well. That was certainly a very interesting movie. It's hard for me to describe it. It's a well-made and good movie, but it's not anywhere close to being a typical MCU comic book type movie. This is a 2.5 hour movie with very little in the way of "action" scenes and really doesn't have a real protagonist.

This is one of those movies where the trailer perplexed people. If you weren't wowed by it or if it did nothing for you...I completely understand. However, when the actual plot and purpose of the movie was slowly revealed during the film, it was one of the most interesting storylines from an MCU movie I've seen in awhile. And I am very grateful that the trailer told us absolutely NOTHING about this movie. Things happened in this movie that shocked me. I mean, legitimately shocked me.

I don't know how many times I will watch this movie, but this is a good movie that MCU fans should not be disillusioned to see.

Oh, and while I knew all the characters introduced in the two post-credit sequences, I'm pretty sure they'll go over the heads of non-comic readers.

I want to give a special shout-out to a great performance by actor Harish Patel, who beautifully played Kumail Nanjiani's personal valet throughout the film. I loved this guy. Just such a well-written and well-acted secondary role that really stuck with me. He was great.
Saxsoon
AG
I will say, despite loving it, they copied GotG2 with seeding planets
C@LAg
Saxsoon said:

I will say, despite loving it, they copied GotG2 with seeding planets
Ego (in the MCU) was a Celestial, so....
GiveEmHellBill
AG
imjustsayin said:

Also, post credit scenes meant nothing to me… I guess I'm clueless on what they mean, but I'm intrigued.
I can't get the spoiler tags to work, so I'll just delete the post to avoid spoiling anything....

In the first scene, we are introduced to Pip the Troll (voiced by Patton Oswalt) and Starfox (or Eros) played by some boy band guy.

Starfox was kind of a shock to see in an MCU movie, as his powers are a little rapey in this day and age. Along with standard powers like flight and super strength, his main power is that he can manipulate people's emotions. He's a bit of a partier and fun-seeker in the universe and has been known to use his powers to, well, get laid. Though it's not so explicit in comic books in the 80's, they usually just showed women draped all over this shoulders, but you know he was getting some later. There was even a plotline recently where he was accused of sexual assault and had to have She Hulk (who is a lawyer) defend him. With things like this, it really surprised me see him show up in an MCU movie in the MeToo era.

He's also Thanos' brother and during the Infinity Gauntlet was bound and gagged (Thanos actually removed his mouth so he couldn't charm his way out) and forced to watch his mad brother wipe out half the universe with the infinity stones. Yeah, they don't like each other. It's weird to think now that Harry Styles is Josh Brolin's younger brother in the MCU.

Pip the Troll I only know of from the Infinity Gauntlet limited series, where he was sent to Earth to help Doctor Strange and the Silver Surfer plan on taking on Thanos after the snap.

As for Kit Harrington's character: he's actually a very old comics character known as the Black Knight, continuing a legacy passed down from his descendants. That sword we saw is called the Ebony Blade, an indestructible sword with mystical powers.

When I started reading comics back around 84-85, both the Black Knight and Starfox were members of the Avengers for a time. But these also weren't the most exciting post-credit scenes, I'll admit.
C@LAg
GiveEmHellBill said:

imjustsayin said:

Also, post credit scenes meant nothing to me… I guess I'm clueless on what they mean, but I'm intrigued.
I'll put this in spoiler text

no you won't
GiveEmHellBill
AG
C@LAg said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

imjustsayin said:

no you won't
Sorry. That was really starting to pi$$ me off that I couldn't get it to work. I even did a test in the stickied thread and it worked, so I copied what I did and pasted the post inside it and it still wouldn't work. I even removed any colons as I saw that this was causing issues.
C@LAg
GiveEmHellBill said:

C@LAg said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

imjustsayin said:

no you won't
Sorry. That was really starting to pi$$ me off that I couldn't get it to work. I even did a test in the stickied thread and it worked, so I copied what I did and pasted the post inside it and it still wouldn't work. I even removed any colons as I saw that this was causing issues.
you have to [ sp ] [ /sp ] each paragraph for some reason. at least i do
C@LAg
either the ... or the # is causing your last problem.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
FINALLY!
C@LAg
GiveEmHellBill said:

FINALLY!
i think that is more edits than TCTTS has done in a single post
GiveEmHellBill
AG
C@LAg said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

FINALLY!
For information most people probably won't give a sh*t about.
bbattbq01
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

FINALLY!

12th times the charm.

I enjoyed it for the most part. Liked the ancient world sets. Good to see Jon snow and rob stark back together for a time, shame things ended the same for rob.

Was hard to understand what the celestial was saying sometimes, not sure what he said to them at the end.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Oh, back to my thoughts on the movie:

It was so refreshing to see such gorgeous scenery and less obvious green-screen sets. I'm sure green-screens were used, but most of the locations looked like honest-to-God real locations and they were just beautiful.
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

FINALLY!

12 edits is child's play.
wangus12
AG
I really enjoyed it. Beautiful cinematography. It was a little long. Hard to set up that many characters in one go. I like setting up Celestials as the next big bad. It the obvious choice.

They gave Kit an end credit scene so I wonder if we get an actual Black Knight film.

Also Barry Keoghan and Harry Styles were in Dunkirk together
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Didn't hate it.

But, about 3/4 of the way through, we decided to leave. The movie had become boring, and we just didn't care what happened to the characters or how the plot resolved.

Someone who watched it all might have a better take.
Saxsoon
AG
I am taking with a bit of a grain of salt because it is Kumail Nanjiani being a comedian and could have been trolling but he seemed deadly serious and wondered if he would get in trouble

In an interview with the Midnight Boys on Into the Ringerverse podcast Kumail said the voice talking to Dane was straight up Blade (Mahershala Ali)
Sea Speed
AG
Didn't hate it but you left? Tough crowd
imjustsayin
AG
I think it's noteworthy of two things, a straight up sex scene with thrusting and a gay man kissing scene. I think this is definitely something parents would want to know before taking their kids to see this movie. Maybe they don't care, but it's definitely a shift from a typical marvel movie.

As a father with kids who have loved marvel movies, I view this as a disappointing and unnecessary shift (but I knew it was bound to happen )
wangus12
AG
There have been people kissing before in Marvel films so Phastos and his husband kissing isn't an issue. The sex scene was out of place in a Marvel film imo. Also I thought they maybe pushed the envelope with Kro's death with head sliding into several pieces like the guy in Resident Evil.

These superhero films are massive draws for young kids and families so those things were probably too adult for a comic book movie
Sea Speed
AG
Kissing is nbd. If they legit have a full on sex scene that is inappropriate imo.
Saxsoon
AG
Sea Speed said:

Kissing is nbd. If they legit have a full on sex scene that is inappropriate imo.
But it's GAY kissing
Sea Speed
AG
Gangnam Style
AG
the "I love you Sersi" Iine killed me.

overall: def not anywhere near the worst MCU movie. Beautiful cinematography and I enjoyed the flashbacks and overall mythology but they tried cramming way too many characters and plot line into a single movie.
TexAgs91
AG
It was a good story, but this didn't feel like a Marvel film. The chemistry between the characters wasn't there. And it is what I feared every Marvel movie would be after End Game: Too much woke crap.
rhutton125
AG
I think I liked it overall. Bottom-third but not the worst MCU film.

I thought it handled the concept really well. Consistent tone and vision, I felt the flashbacks were used well (whereas in Shang-Chi it was maybe one or two too many). I didn't think there were forced jokes or tie-in references, though some of the jokes weren't great. But I liked that this wasn't just "hey check out these new superheroes," but truly a film about immortal beings having a crisis of faith. Maybe the best part is that none of these characters are on Earth at the end of the film, so if they don't want to come back to this stuff, they really don't have to. But by the end of the film, I did want to see more of some of them - specifically Thena and Sersi, and I wouldn't mind seeing Ikaris again either.

Where I think it does falter a bit is execution at times. Thena's finale with the head deviant was... just kind of there? The action was definitely competent but the pacing of the finale had a few moments that might have felt triumphant or thrilling but instead just kind of happened. A few tweaks and that might have been better.

I'd give it a 7, but it could have been an 8 with some small changes. But it also could have easily been a 4 given how many characters and concepts they had to introduce. There's more action there than reviews would have you believe - but less than most MCU films.

Miscellaneous thoughts:
- the original Eternals run was cancelled and eventually had its plot threads wrapped up in a few Thor issues. If they don't do an Eternals 2, they could have some of these characters pop up in Thor 5 or Guardians 4 or something, or one or two of them appear as a harbinger of some incoming cosmic threat in a Fantastic Four movie.
- for those who ***** about woke culture, Marvel checked a lot of boxes with this one. I know they'll keep pushing for representation but for every gay or gender/race-swapped Eternal, your odds of a traditional white Fantastic Four cast improve. We're about to have a Muslim Pakistani hero and a deaf Native American hero, for example. The conversation of "Marvel is too white/male/straight" may go away soon, and you can thank Eternals for a lot of that. Just one way of looking at it!
- Moon Knight rumors include introducing the character of Werewolf by Night. Him + Moon Knight + Blade + Black Knight + Doctor Strange + Wanda? = we may just be a couple years away from some kind of supernatural horror team-up. Noice.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Gangnam Style
AG
Next week's drop at the Box office will be interesting to see with the mediocre reviews. They really need to get some of these characters some room to develop on D+ shows before the next Eternals movie.

Some other random movie thoughts:
Makkari was a speedster done right and she easily became my favorite Eternals character. Also, her & Druig's relationship worked sooo much better than Sersi & Ikarus. We need more Makkari moving forward.
Ambres
AG
Just saw it and enjoyed it. It ran a little long and they could have edit it down. Enjoyed the characters. This could have been another GoG but it wasn't. It didn't have the humor... it took itself way to serious.

Like GoG it did a great job w/ the world building. The imagery in the movie was awesome. Principal photographer killed it and love Tiamut shots.

Finally, love what they did w/ Black Knight .. he is in it but he is not.

Overall: I felt this movie was a large setup for the rest of this phase. The payoff will determine how good this movie really is.

Oh did anyone think that the eternal technology mirror a little close to the 10 rings from Shang Chi.
MBAR
AG
I mean I'm glad they didn't try to just be another GoTG. Its good to see them trying different things.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing I found odd was Kumail's character being left out of the final fight completely.

Wonder the reasoning behind that as I suspect he's many people's favorite.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, crazy how $70M+ is "bad" for Marvel and yet nearly doubled what Dune did.

Puts in perspective how massively successful this universe is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Couldn't remember what Solo opened to. Just looked it up and it did $114M, which is by far the worst Star Wars opening. That is even more impressive. Now granted that's not really a fair comparison since it was pre-covid.

Edit: That was a 5-day holiday weekend. Nevermind.
Gangnam Style
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

One thing I found odd was Kumail's character being left out of the final fight completely.

Wonder the reasoning behind that as I suspect he's many people's favorite.
I think it made sense story-wise. Kingo agreed with Ikarus re: the objective to birth Tiamut but he didn't want to fight his family so he just sat out instead of getting involved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.