*** ETERNALS ***

26,749 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These don't really seem like "new" characters to me though.
I know I haven't heard of them before, but it doesn't seem like a fresh idea.
Claude!
PatAg said:

They don't really seem like characters to me, new or otherwise. Granted, the trailer can't show everything, but there was almost no evidence of any distinct personality. Contra that with the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy, that also introduced an obscure set of heroes.
Quad Dog
AG
I do agree that The Eternals do seem like they have all the powers of other heroes we've seen, just one power per Eternal, not all in one person. Also, it seems like there are just too many characters. I know the later MCU movies have a ridiculous number of characters running around, but we have 18 movies to learn them all. I feel like if I see Eternals I'll leave the theatre saying "the fast character was cool, and the laser guy was lame" I doubt I'll learn and remember many names.

Maybe if the trailers focused on the new different powers and different characters?
The Porkchop Express
double aught said:

Quad Dog said:

Madmarttigan said:

Funnily enough I'm most excited about the Batman movie which looks like a return to a more simplistic but deeper comic book movie versus possibly crazy a marvel multiverse with insane possibilities on a huge scale.
Also funny that stereotypically we'd appreciate new characters, new stories, and an attempt at something different. As opposed the 6th? attempt at retelling of Batman.
I just hope the Waynes get shot in that alley again!
Wait, did something happen to his parents?
double aught
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

I'd also prefer they would have just to their efforts into getting Blade going with Mahershala Ali. Fun character, great actor. He's also not an unknown character or actor, there's a built in audience there.
Yeah, can we talk about this for a second?

Because, apparently there are freakin' vampires walking around the MCU right now.....

What I wouldn't give to see Tony Stark or Steve Rogers reactions when they are told that there are freakin' VAMPIRES out there....

Maybe get Nick Fury saying that he's tired of these mf'in vampires on this mf'in Helicarrier.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Peter: "Has anyone seen this super old movie Twilight?"
BowSowy
AG
Claude! said:

PatAg said:

They don't really seem like characters to me, new or otherwise. Granted, the trailer can't show everything, but there was almost no evidence of any distinct personality. Contra that with the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy, that also introduced an obscure set of heroes.
This is the biggest thing for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but this feels like a one-off that I'll watch someday when someone mentions some tie-in to the more core MCU. As it stands now, I have no desire to see this in theater, especially after the middling reviews. This is a Disney+ movie for me.
YNWA_AG
AG
Eternals went rotten
mazag08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Peter: "Has anyone seen this super old movie Twilight?"

I just spit out my beer after reading that. I could totally see that scene happening.
rhutton125
AG
Was just about to post that. I suppose it had to happen eventually, but this is Feige's first rotten film since… what… Spider-Man 3? Blade Trinity? Pre-MCU for sure.

I guess the slow/talky/artistic Oscar-winning style just doesn't mesh with the popcorn superhero style. Or maybe an ensemble film with 10 characters that even huge Marvel fans don't know was just too damn much to introduce in one film.

Edit: another way to look at it - these characters didn't work for Jack Kirby - why did we think this was a good idea again? (Although I think the answer is, a soon-to-be-Oscar-winning director had a compelling pitch for it. Too bad it didn't translate to the screen.)
DallasTeleAg
Too bad... I thought the movie looked interesting. Definitely moreso than Black Widow or Shang Chi
mazag08
AG
I think a part of this is also that we're still in the "wait a second, what exactly is the reason the marvel universe is still going on?" phase. The common movie goer likely hasn't seen Wandavision or Loki. They don't know that the next big bad has been set up. And even if they do, they don't know why they should care. None of the shows or movies to this point since Endgame have really laid any groundwork into why we are still following these characters, why there are new ones, and where they are going. So these shows and movies are really only for the commuted fan at this point. And it's not like setting up the beginning of the MCU when your new characters were some of the most iconic famous popular characters of all time. And it's not like guardians either. Without the humor element guardians never gains a following. Maybe the humor in Eternals just isn't good enough or frequent enough.

Let's get this show rolling toward the point we are supposed to still care about the MCU.
Tibbers
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

I'd also prefer they would have just to their efforts into getting Blade going with Mahershala Ali. Fun character, great actor. He's also not an unknown character or actor, there's a built in audience there.

Because, apparently there are freakin' vampires walking around the MCU right now.....

What I wouldn't give to see Tony Stark or Steve Rogers reactions when they are told that there are freakin' VAMPIRES out there....

Maybe get Nick Fury saying that he's tired of these mf'in vampires on this mf'in Helicarrier.

Isn't Blade in the Marvel universe?
PeekingDuck
AG
This seems like a DC (non-Batman) version of an MCU movie.
Sea Speed
AG
PeekingDuck said:

This seems like a DC (non-Batman) version of an MCU movie.

Perfect.
Sex Panther
AG
Tibbers said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

Isn't Blade in the Marvel universe?

Blade is Marvel and I'm sure he's had plenty of run-ins in the comics with Marvel characters (no clue about comics Blade). But the original Wesley Snipes movies have nothing to do with the current MCU.
Ornithopter
AG
I think they announced a Blade movie is coming out.. someday.
Sex Panther
AG
Yes they did... not even sure what the question was asking at this point, but Bill was saying that since Blade is coming, there are vampires that exist in this universe (we just haven't seen them yet)

Of course it could be a multiverse thing and it's one of the other earths. I actually wouldn't be surprised if that's the post-credit scene in No Way Home, or they have an easter egg tease like in Ant-Man when they mentioned "guys climbing walls"
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Another tricky thing about Blade and vampires in the MCU:

One day, they will release the COVID-delayed Morbius movie, where Jared Leto will become the titular Marvel vampire. Of course, this is being made by Sony and will exist in the Spider-Man universe along with Venom. Whether or not that also means Feige will consider this to be a part of the MCU is unknown right now.
Sea Speed
AG
Speaking of morbius, that is one of the trailers I got when I saw dune. Looks absolutely terrible
double aught
AG
Hawkeye on Disney+ looks much more fun than Eternals.
rhutton125
AG
First Rotten movie in the MCU. Sounds like it's too comic-y for artsy types and maybe too artsy and long-winded for popcorn types. But we'll see how the general audiences react.

Anyone seeing this tonight or this weekend? I've got tickets for Saturday.
YNWA_AG
AG
I have tickets for tonight at 9 but I might wait to see it tomorrow. Not that excited though
wangus12
AG
Going tomorrow. Happy to have another Marvel film, but other than that not really super excited. I'd rather be seeing Dune for the 3rd time
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Let's get one thing straight. This is in NO way a bad movie, much less the worst MCU movie.

I thought it was pretty damn good. Plenty of laughs throughout, enjoyed the characters, and the fight scenes were pretty awesome. Got a bunch of applause in the big moments in my theater, for what it's worth.

Anyone on the fence should absolutely give this a chance. And the IMAX shots are stunning, btw.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In the scene where Kit Harrington says "my family history is complicated", a guy in the back yelled "Yeah! Jon Snow!"

That was pretty funny.
Saxsoon
AG
I loved this. The cinematography and choreography were incredible. Did appropriate things that they weren't as broken as in the comics. And good god the scale of the celestials
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

In the scene where Kit Harrington says "my family history is complicated",
Mephisto confirmed!
MBAR
AG
Well, just got out. A lot of people are not going to like this film. Super different. Definitely not my favorite marvel film. Not sure what to think of it as a whole and it had some cool parts but I 100% get the mediocre at beat reviews
MBAR
AG
Tibbers said:

Does this signal marvel fatigue? Can we please have less of these movies made? Please?
Why? If you don't want to see a particular movie, then don't see it, but why does it bother you that they're made? There are literally endless entertainment options for whatever type of content anyone wants right now so why would you want to limit that?
schmidthead
Just got out and thought it was pretty solid. Definitely better than Thor 2 and quite a few other Marvel movies (a lot better than Black Widow and Shang-Chi).
imjustsayin
AG
Just got out as well… historically enjoyed the MCU movies… I'm in the camp of did not particularly enjoy. It was alright. Wasn't a bad movie but it didn't have the comic beats or light-heartedness of previous films. Just felt sort of slow and drag-gy (that's a word).

Of the last three MCU movies for me it's 1) Shang chi, 2) Black widow (played much better for me on 2nd watch), and 3) Eternals.

For me I kept looking for tie-ins and relevancy to the world we've come to love snd while they wrote them in, they feel forced or disingenuous.

NOTE: Our entire audience was handed a scantron post movie review survey. I thought that was interesting… it's like marvel knows they may have a booger and need to know if a redirect is necessary. I tried to review it objectively but found my responses on the survey pretty low.

Still think you should see it, and in the theaters… maybe you'll see it differently.

Also, post credit scenes meant nothing to me… I guess I'm clueless on what they mean, but I'm intrigued.
AggieLitigator
schmidthead said:

Just got out and thought it was pretty solid. Definitely better than Thor 2 and quite a few other Marvel movies (a lot better than Black Widow and Shang-Chi).

Agree. It's a lower-middle tier Marvel movie but better than those three mentioned. Easily
AggieLitigator
I was shocked and disappointed to not have a Spider-Man trailer in my showing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.