***** Ted Lasso S2 Thread *****

177,049 Views | 1385 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boogieman
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

Thisguy1 said:

Had to try and explain to the wife what offsides was because I said it immediately.

Offsides: when a defender is across the line of scrimmage at the snap.

Offside: when a player is closer to the goal than the 2nd to last defender or the ball and becomes involved in the play. (And other ways)

A CrossFitter, vegan and a soccer fan walk in a bar…you know cause they told you.
Rudyjax
AG
You forgot marathon runner.
htxag09
AG
Pro Ag said:

Great finale. These writers do a good job showing all sides of the characters.

My criticism is that I don't believe Rupert would make Nate a head coach. It is a leap to think Rupert would buy another team and then make the kit guy from his old club the head coach. I realize here it is for the story, just seems out of character for him.

And I just don't buy Nate as a heel. He's weak and petty. The petty part can make a villain but Nate is just a weak punk.
The only reason I could possibly see it is because Rupert believes Ted is an idiot. Same with Beard. He knows they know squat about soccer, so assumes all their success is because of Nate. So he thinks he's getting a knowledgeable coach plus taking the key figure in Ted's success. Only sticking point with that, though, is that Roy is obviously a part of that puzzle now as well. So Ted still has an assistant with soccer knowledge.
JYDog90
AG

Thisguy1 said:

Had to try and explain to the wife what offsides was because I said it immediately.

Offsides: when a defender is across the line of scrimmage at the snap.

Offside: when a player is closer to the goal than the 2nd to last defender or the ball and becomes involved in the play. (And other ways)
FIFY. They're both Offside.
JYDog90
AG
SPullig said:

Why would they promote the kit guy to head coach of a premier league team in less than 2 years? If you start to put logic into your tv watching you're gonna find holes everywhere.

To answer the question though, he respects Ted and the way he motivates the team and wants to be part of the turn around. Biggest critic to working hand in hand? It's got a nice ring to it right?

That said, I also like what others have said with him staying an inside reporter and somehow bringing Rupert down.
Um, the biggest illogical premise of all, you have the pesky inconvenience of Ted Lasso getting hired in the first place.
jeffk
AG
Except that he was hired to fail in the first place.
AgGrad99
AG
rynning said:

"Hire your best friend" is not good advice.
I thought to myself....but her best friend already has a job.
fig96
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I still crack up when I think of Beard trying to explain offsides to Ted in the last episode of season 1 using condiment bottles to represent players.
It's genuinely difficult to explain the offside rule to a newbie without salt and pepper shakers.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I still crack up when I think of Beard trying to explain offsides to Ted in the last episode of season 1 using condiment bottles to represent players.
It's genuinely difficult to explain the offside rule to a newbie without salt and pepper shakers.
Deliberate play by a defender gets it all muddy.
AgGrad99
AG
fig96 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

If you're past the last defender, when the ball is kicked, you're offsides.

That's how I've always explained it.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, the baseline, simplest case offside scenario is pretty straightforward. Past that, you're going to need some visual aides.
AgGrad99
AG
yep. I figure if they're a newbie, who needs offsides explained, it's best to just keep it simple.

it kills me in my son's league, watching players who are onside when the ball is kicked, get called offsides, because they're fast. Last week, we got called offsides, when our players were on our own side of the field when the ball was kicked
Rudyjax
AG
AgGrad99 said:

fig96 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

If you're past the last defender, when the ball is kicked, you're offsides.

That's how I've always explained it.
Last defender not including the keeper. This is generally true, there are many variables that go into this. You have to be active in the play. Being in an offside position is not a foul. If it's kicked by your teammate and then deliberately played by a defender (not a save or reaction), you're onside. In fact, look at the Spain France match from Sunday.

https://streamable.com/sax23e?fbclid=IwAR1siC-iyl3QF6vCMMm5k6h67dMy2kyEFQHw6_Sxm2bu9AXoWaSEApREJ_A

Rudyjax
AG
AgGrad99 said:

yep. I figure if they're a newbie, who needs offsides explained, it's best to just keep it simple.

it kills me in my son's league, watching players who are onside when the ball is kicked, get called offsides, because they're fast. Last week, we got called offsides, when our players were on our own side of the field when the ball was kicked
The worst is when my son got called for offisde when receiving a punt from the keeper.
AgGrad99
AG
Yep. i understand. Played and watched my entire life.

But for someone who's learning it for the first time, it's easiest to just keep it simple.
rynning
AG
"If it looks too good to be true, it's probably offsides."
TXAG 05
AG
Sounds like a pretty dumb rule.
bigjag19
AG

AgGrad99 said:

The worst is when my son got called for offisde when receiving a punt from the keeper.

Why? Was he off when the keeper punted it?
Thunder18
AG

AgGrad99 said:

You can be offside from a punt. If it was a goal kick then he shouldn't have been called off
Rudyjax
AG
You cannot be offside from a kick from an opponent.

XpressAg09
AG
Take it to the Soccer Forum.
bigjag19
AG

You didn't say which keeper. We assumed it was his own.
Rudyjax
AG
bigjag19 said:

Ahhhhhh. I just assumed it was a given that it wasn't from his own keeper.
bigjag19
AG

bigjag19 said:

Ahhhhhh. I just assumed it was a given that it wasn't from his own keeper.

As they get to teenage years receiving a punt from your keeper in opposition territory is normal.
EclipseAg
AG
PatAg said:

Why would someone who was portrayed as a serious journalist take a PR/Marketing job with a football club?
The same reason "serious journalists" have taken PR/marketing jobs for years: More money!
Rudyjax
AG
True. But I would never have posted it if it had been an offside offense.
bthotugigem05
AG
Omg let's get back to Ted Lasso before I start calling everyone peepee fingers
Rudyjax
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Pretty sure Jamie was offside.

And Nate is a ****ing wanker.
LeonardSkinner

bthotugigem05 said:

Pretty sure Jamie was offside.

And Nate is a ****ing wanker.

Oi! And the keeper should have been sent off.
LawHall88
AG

So in soccer you can't use your hands, right? Just trying to get into this rules discussion...
PatAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

So in soccer you can't use your hands, right? Just trying to get into this rules discussion...
You can if the ref doesn't see it
AgGrad99
AG
LawHall88 said:

I mean....it worked out for Diego Maradona...
bthotugigem05
AG
I mean not recently
PatAg
AG
Excited to see what they decide to do with the story for season 3.
85aggie777
AG
Was excited to see 70 new replies talking about the final episode, and then found two pages discussing the definition of an "offside" in soccer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.