Jeopardy! Guest hosts.

35,456 Views | 336 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Proposition Joe
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wish it would have been Jennings. I know his speech isn't exactly tv host material, but it didn't bother me and I thought he managed the flow of the game really well, along with having a sharp sense of humor. Even though Richards produced for Alex, I also just sense that Jennings provides the most connection to Alex. Richards is kind of the milquetoast choice IMO, which I guess is better than being stuck with one of the random tv celebs.
Southlake
I thought Richards was the best with a pack of 4 or 5 a few steps behind him.
Bunk Moreland
DannyDuberstein
AG
From the replies

MW03
AG
Wish they would've given Bruce Campbell a run.
The Milkman
AG
Levar Burton ratings were down 40% from week prior and lowest of 2021 by the way for all the random fandom he seems to have on the internet.

I'm pulling for Ken or Buzzy, but Mike will be fine. No matter who it is people will be disappointed because they've identified their own favorites. Then after a few months it'll fall back into rhythm and feel normal again.
Southlake
Actually, Joe Buck has done a nice job, but we have to turn down the volume to half because he must be going deaf. I thought Dr. Oz was loud but JB makes my dogs leave the room. How does Aikman deal with that?
Counterpoint
AG
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've actually liked Joe Buck so far
double aught
AG
I've never gotten the Joe Buck hate. I think he's pretty good at his day job.
LawHall88
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Oy vey. She was one of the worst fill-ins. Wtf
txagman1998
AG
I think the tweet is a little misleading. I read the story and Richards is going to be the everyday host. Bialik will be hosting special tournaments and prime time specials. The story specifically mentioned a college championship they are planning for next year. I think it would make sense to have a younger celebrity host like Bialik who is going to be more relatable for contestants in these types of special shows. And to be honest, I think she did fine as guest host.

I think the show had lots of good options to work with, though if they wanted their everyday host to be exclusive to Jeopardy that would eliminate some of the contenders like Aaron Rodgers.
gunan01
AG
txagman1998 said:

I think the tweet is a little misleading. I read the story and Richards is going to be the everyday host. Bialik will be hosting special tournaments and prime time specials. The story specifically mentioned a college championship they are planning for next year. I think it would make sense to have a younger celebrity host like Bialik who is going to be more relatable for contestants in these types of special shows. And to be honest, I think she did fine as guest host.

I think the show had lots of good options to work with, though if they wanted their everyday host to be exclusive to Jeopardy that would eliminate some of the contenders like Aaron Rodgers.
I completely disagree with this. Her constant fake smiling/laughing was off-putting to the flow of the game. There were much better choices. They chose her because she is a woman, but the truth is there were much better women who were guest hosts like Robin Roberts and Savannah Guthrie. Either of those two I would understand.

Richards wasn't that great either. I'm guessing he chose himself because there is a ton of money involved. He probably felt like the show can sustain itself regardless of the host, so he might as well cash in and make himself the everyday host. I might have to start watching the show with close captions on.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Richards is the milquetoast choice, but I get it. Safe move and one where the audience doesn't have any predispositions based on his past work like the other celebs.
Counterpoint
AG
I think Bialik can be good if she stops the laughing thing, which SURELY they talked to her about.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I think Richards was probably my favorite so I'm good with this.

Hate Bialik though. She was just terrible. I thought I would hate Guthrie but she was actually pretty good. Couric was the absolute worst though.

David Faber was freaking awesome though. Wish he could have done it but it may not have worked out with Squak on the Street.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
When does Will Ferrel host?
Rudyjax
AG
Honestly, there were 2-3 people I would've preferred over them. Oh well.
Southlake
Not sure every guest host was trying out for the job as permanent host. Many of them already had other gigs.

Richards was excellent, Bialik not so much. Could have been some political posturing to include her in the selection.

Also, Current champ Matt Imodio has won over 400k, however, he's lost 70k in Final Jep. the last two games. I wonder if that's a record?
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Counterpoint said:

I think Bialik can be good if she stops the laughing thing, which SURELY they talked to her about.

Couldn't agree more - this was my complaint about her from the fourth page of this thread.

Quote:

I can not stand Mayim Bialik. She laughs almost every time she provides the answer and there's never anything funny.
Tanya 93
Southlake said:

Not sure every guest host was trying out for the job as permanent host. Many of them already had other gigs.

Richards was excellent, Bialik not so much. Could have been some political posturing to include her in the selection.
What is the political thing about using her?
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

As you mentioned, many of the guest hosts already have jobs, so it makes sense that one of the "Jeopardy insiders" ended up as the everyday host. Robin Roberts would have done very well as host, but she isn't leaving Good Morning America. Joe Buck's experience as a sportscaster seems to translate well to Jeopardy, but he isn't leaving Fox Sports.

As for Mayim Bialik, I'm obviously in the minority here as I thought she did just fine. Of course, I am a fairly casual Jeopardy fan, so I wasn't going to be overly critical about any of the guest hosts. I think the important thing to note is that she will only be hosting special tournaments, like the College Championship, that the NYT article stated was going to run in prime time on ABC for two weeks next year. I assume Jeopardy is trying to attract the more casual fans and younger viewers for these special events, so it makes sense that they would go with a celebrity actress that is relatable and can play the part (PhD in Neuroscience from UCLA). I don't think her choice was driven by politics, I think it was driven by demographics.
Southlake
^ I too thought Robin Roberts did a fine job. And yes, Bailik was one of the youngest, but Buzzy is younger and I thought a better host.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
****SPOILER FOR TODAY'S EPISODE******

Quote:

Based on a 1974 novel, this film has been described as combining "An Enemy of the People" & "Moby Dick"
How in the hell do you not at least guess "Jaws?" 2 contestants left it blank.

Sidenote: Not a Joe Buck fan, but he's gotten better as his stint went on.

Does anyone else think the judges have gotten a little more permissive on the specificity of answers?
txagman1998
AG
Yeah, "Jaws" was the obvious guess and I was stunned she didn't know that. At least there was a little bit of drama going into Final Jeopardy. Watching Matt steamroll his opponents day after day is boring.
Southlake
Matt is now #3 all time. It's rare to watch this level of domination and I'm really enjoying this quirky dude.
Watch Matt when an answer is given and he's thinking with his mouth agape, making funny faces.

And Joe Buck has improved so much that I got him in the top third of hosts. ( Usually I can't stand him)

PS. I thought Jaws was so easy that it had to be a trick question!
cr06gis
AG
Matt's first couple wins I couldn't stand him. Now I really like him. Plowing thru the high dollar clues to start off has put him out of reach early in just about every game.

His shyness has worn off, he's pretty enjoyable now
Rudyjax
AG
cr06gis said:

Matt's first couple wins I couldn't stand him. Now I really like him. Plowing thru the high dollar clues to start off has put him out of reach early in just about every game.

I'm not sure why everyone doesn't play the higher value clues first like James and Matt do.

And Matt is not nearly the gambler James was.

I just hope everyone doesn't steal his, What's.....

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
cr06gis said:

He basically starts every game off with a $5000-$10000 pt lead going after the hard clues before the newcomers can get in a rhythm and figure out the timing of the buzzer.
cr06gis
AG
Wow. Matt's latest win was a nail biter
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep. Purple hair had him on the ropes until the last daily double did her in
Southlake
Then he bet a dollar
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
***SPOILER***

When you check your dvr tonight, there will be no Jeopardy!

Forgot about the break.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Harry Lime said:

***SPOILER***

When you check your dvr tonight, there will be no Jeopardy!

Forgot about the break.

What's a DVR?!?!?!

lol
West Point Aggie
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Southlake said:

What is the political thing about using her?

None!
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.