Mortal Kombat

17,457 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 213 Grove
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just watched it.

By no means a "great" movie. After all, it's based on a video game.

It was good.
Cool fight scenes.
Typical plot holes and demands for suspended disbelief .
Acting was good for what this is.

Worth watching on HBOMAX? Yes.

Would I go out of my way to see this.... no.
But killing time or just want fun fighting on a Friday night.... sure.
Kampfers
AG
I for one thought it was great.

If you were looking for a movie that made you think, you picked the wrong movie. I don't know what the point of complaining about plot and things like that is for a MK movie. The fight scenes were incredible. Effects were great. Loved the way they incorporated the move-sets from games/previous movies.

IDK what Tibbers is on about with his response. Did we even watch the same movie? Sonya and Kano definitely aren't pals. And Kano performed his traditional role. They set it up well to introduce Cage for the second movie if this one is successful enough.

It's not gonna win any oscars, but it's exactly what you want from a MK movie. When you first hear the full MK theme... shivers. Followed up by a signature character line. What more could you want?
Scruffy
AG
Fully agree.

I'm on break.
Madmarttigan
AG
It's kinda just as bad as the old one it just has new special effects and production value. It is what you think it will be though.

Acting is sooooo bad still lol
PneumAg
Kampfers said:

What more could you want?

Maybe a plot, some character development, and half decent acting?
Stupid@17
AG
The level of gore/violence is a new feature compared to prior MK shows. Solid movie for the content.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LOL at Liu Kang spamming the leg sweep when training Kano. Great nod to the game.

Fing hated when people did that to me.
fig96
AG
PneumAg said:

Kampfers said:

What more could you want?

Maybe a plot, some character development, and half decent acting?
I actually feel like they kind of did this right, particularly looking at how bad Godzilla vs Kong was.

Was this a great movie? Absolutely not. But they put in some great action and fight sequences, the expected game related brutality, and just enough plot to get you from A to B. Godzilla, on the other hand, had these weirdly complex and nonsensical subplots and side adventures that had no real bearing on anything with the main story.

And fair or not, I also went into Godzilla expecting more because the previous films were decent to really good (Skull Island). With Mortal Kombat I knew what I signed up for and it's exactly what I got.
Zombie
What are you smoking? Kano was the best part of the movie! When he told them to get on their knees and suck his sack I literally laughed out loud. And Young is a perfect new character. He is a neutral character that no one expects anything out of because he is unknown to the audience. And it sounds like you didn't watch the end when they tease the sequel with Cage in it. The one time they used the music during Scorpions revenge was perfect. This movie is all about the fighting. If you want story line and character development, go play the games. This movie is a perfect homage to the games and Kung fu movies and expects you to know who the characters are already. This was made for fans of the games and nothing more. And as a fan that remembers playing the arcade version at my local convenient store in the 90s, I thought the movie was about as close to perfect as it could be.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's stupid fun, just as is to be expected.

Sub-Zero is so ****ing badass. Cole was a nice surprise.

Kept hoping we'd get a Johnny Cage tease at the end. Hell yes.

Noob Saibot coming?
fig96
AG
Sonya: "I don't have the mark."

Kano in background: "Wah-waaaahhh"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What's his name? Kung Pao?
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
9l10 movie was great IMO

Loved it and will watch again. The first two post watch replies don't make sense to me.

Plot was find your power and fight or lose the Earth. Character development? LMAO It was a 90 min fight movie. Go watch 3 seasons Cobra Kai and all 50 Karate Kids if you're looking for character archs.

Liked how they did signature lines after finishing moves. Even the wife enjoyed the hell out of it.

tk for tu juan
That move Kung Lao put on Nitara, straight out of a shop class safety video

One negative, the theme at the end credits didn't hit as hard as the 90's MK movies.
OasisMan
AG
watched it with the kids last night (hbo)

we enjoyed it -- lotta good ref to the MK series

its clear they plan on making a part 2 w/ Cage
jr15aggie
AG
I liked it! Sonya actress was the weak link and she's not exactly easy on the eyes (pun intended).

But very well done otherwise. The Liu Kang fire dragon was pretty sick. Kung Lau's saw blade fatality was fantastic. Looking forward to a sequel.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It's on track for a $20+ million opening weekend.

That is incredible for a movie that's also streaming on HBO Max. (edit) That's in addition to the $20+ million that the Demon Slayer movie is on track for as well (which I will be taking my son and his friend to tomorrow). That's TWO movies opening to huge numbers this weekend.

Memo to Hollywood: there is a HUGE pent-up demand for entertainment in theaters right now. Quit pushing these releases back. We are ready for them now.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I'm 30 minutes in and I already want a Kano prequel series......he's awesome.

Okay, that movie was actually pretty good. The fatalities were good and gory. Kano was freakin' awesome and the Goro CGI was pretty great. The ending with Scorpion and Sub Zero was a highlight.
redline248
AG
I f-cking loved that movie. Kano was so awesome. I don't know what else to say. Every time they showed that handheld fan I kept expecting Kitana to show up. I was legit arms in the air yelling f-ck yeah Johnny Cage!

I could watch a 2 hour long movie of Scorpion killing dudes.

Sign me up for 10 more of these.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Loved it. This is exactly what I hoped for in a MK movie.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Fun fact:

The character of Kabal was portrayed by a stuntman, but voiced by Dewey Crowe himself.

PatAg
AG
Outside of the intro scene in Japan, this movie was meh at best.
Max Power
AG
Just remembered where I recognized Cole Young from.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Liu Kang was the black Power Ranger in the reboot.
Bunk Moreland
PatAg said:

Outside of the intro scene in Japan, this movie was meh at best.

Yep. Had a chance to be a really good movie but they made a lot of dumb decisions.
Cromagnum
AG
rhutton125 said:

This morning it was floating around 60% on RT after ~15 reviews.

Cautiously optimistic! Not expecting Citizen Kane - just want blood icicle stab moves and good fight choreography.

In all fairness, Citizen Kane sucked balls.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
It's at 55% critic score / 87% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and 88% positive from Google users. Definitely not going to win any Oscars, but I watch movies to be entertained, not to take notes on art theory to prepare for awards season. I enjoyed it.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Tibbers
The main dude's unlocked power was the power to get his ass kicked. The fact that that scrub took down Goro is ridiculous. His arcana or whatever the **** they called it is comparable to Homer Simpson's in a boxing ring. Homer had a thick skull. This guy has goofy golden armor. Give me a break.

Even the scene leading up to Jax getting his arms ripped off was ridiculous. Why not just stay in the car, protect the people you just said you would and drive away. Smoke monster Sub Zero isn't faster than a car.

And what the hell was up with him getting robot arms from the two shaolin monk looking dudes? ****ing trash man.

The fatalities were cool, but that was it.

Even the opening in Japan was told much much better in Scorpion's Revenge, a ****ing cartoon.
cav14
Tibbers said:

Smoke monster Sub Zero isn't faster than a car.
Seeing how the smoke was basically teleportation don't understand why would you think a car would be faster than that.
Cromagnum
AG
Cromagnum said:

rhutton125 said:

This morning it was floating around 60% on RT after ~15 reviews.

Cautiously optimistic! Not expecting Citizen Kane - just want blood icicle stab moves and good fight choreography.

In all fairness, Citizen Kane sucked balls.

Now we're talking.

Post removed:
by user
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So how about a bit of fan casting for Johnny Cage?

Who would you cast?

fig96
AG
That's pretty good, would be curious to see if a bigger name like him would take the part.

My first thought, he's probably getting a bit old for the character but they could totally spin it as "washed up action star". He's definitely got the energy and I just remembered he actually voiced the character in the recent animated film:

MW03
AG
It has been a while since I made it a point to sit down and watch a movie, but I did exactly that for Mortal Kombat.

I found it to be entirely stupid and incredibly enjoyable. As I told a buddy yesterday, by no means is this a "good" movie, but it is a great movie. Kano absolutely saved it. Without him, it would have felt very direct-to-video, despite the solid effects/action sequences.

Lots of great callbacks to the video game. Even the crazy blood felt like a callback to the original game and "blood mode". Spamming leg sweeps, "flawless victory", all the fatalities were awesome (Shang Tsung eating souls, Kao Lang's razor heat, Kano ripping hearts, Jax smashing heads), but I think my favorite was Scorpion cooking Sub Zero by pulling off his mask. All of that was straight out of the game.

Not sure a sequel could have the same amount of nostalgia factor, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
toucan82
Hi, my name is toucan82 and I was a Liu Kang leg sweep spammer

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.