Mortal Kombat

17,461 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 213 Grove
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Loved the movie. Writing was about as ****ty as I expected, but man did they capture the feel of the game, particularly with the fatalities. Looking forward to seeing more.
King moto moto
AG
Loved the movie. Was everything I would hope for plus more.
Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
mavsfan4ever
AG
Really enjoyed it. All the call backs to the game were great. Makes me want to go back and watch the original. In my head, the original is better but it's been forever since I watched it.

My only complaint is that I wish they would've done a tournament format like they did in the original. That made it much more intense and entertaining (at least from what I remember) and helped the plot. But I'm guessing the sequel will be a tournament format.
Post removed:
by user
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
They'll bring back some characters they killed for sure. I'd bet money on Sub Zero and Kano.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Tibbers
Rendered Fat said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Really enjoyed it. All the call backs to the game were great. Makes me want to go back and watch the original. In my head, the original is better but it's been forever since I watched it.

My only complaint is that I wish they would've done a tournament format like they did in the original. That made it much more intense and entertaining (at least from what I remember) and helped the plot. But I'm guessing the sequel will be a tournament format.

I haven't paid attention to anything "Mortal Kombat" since I was a kid, but remind me, do they still have enough bad guys to make a sequel? Seems like they used everyone up in this film.

They didn't even scratch the surface. Plenty left. Just watch Mortal Kombat Annihilation to get a taste. Ok don't actually watch that movie, but there are a a bunch more characters in it.
fig96
AG
I put on Annihilation the other afternoon out of curiosity. Holy 90s greenscreen Batman!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Watched it last night as well.

My God. I forgot how awful it is. The cinematography looks amateur. The awful greenscreen. The laughably bad costumes. (Looking at you Sheeva.) The ATROCIOUS acting. The PS1-level animality fight. And that super abrupt ending where it just kind of ends.

Not to mention discount Raiden is freaking terrible.

The 2% RT score seems high to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

They'll bring back some characters they killed for sure. I'd bet money on Sub Zero and Kano.
For those unaware, Bi-Han becomes Noob Saibot in the game lore after his death.

The black armor near the end of the fight definitely foreshadowed that for the next one.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Mileena tho.
toucan82
The ****? Spoiler warning, bro
Bruce Almighty
AG
We need a Street Fighter movie so the great 90s debate can be renewed.
redline248
AG
Wasn't there one like 10 years ago?
Bruce Almighty
AG
redline248 said:

There was a Chun Li movie.
Red Five
AG
Loved this movie! Kano was great. My biggest complaint was not having the greatest theme of all time in the movie somewhere. They teased it in the final Scorpion vs Sub-Zero fight but didn't fully commit to it and the end credit remix was garbage.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought it was okay. The fights were cool, but when there was no fighting, the movie was pretty boring.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
PneumAg
This movie was utter garbage.
redline248
AG
You are!

captkirk
AG
Better than expected
AMW2010
AG
Saw it in theaters tonight, I think I was the only person in the theater. Kano had me rollin! He was absolutely great!!! Wish there was more to it. Cole young's powers are he is literally a human punching bag to absorb peoples hits.... come on.... he was probably the worst if everything. I really want more kabal, he came off as pretty cool too. Sad Kung POW got his soul taken.

It was a mortal Kombat movie and I left happy, I'd call that a successful Friday night
FL_Ag1998
AG
Everyone keeps saying the main character's power was to sit and take punches, but am I wrong in seeing that he absorbed the kinetic energy from the punches then released it in super powerful punches/kicks of his own?

I mean, not saying its a great power or anything, but either I imagined that part or everyone's leaving that part out.

And yeah, really liked it for what it was but Goro was killed off way too easily and early.
rhutton125
AG
Everything posted so far in this thread is true.

I thought it was a great movie to watch with friends who would enjoy poking fun at it. It hit all my nostalgia, the fights were strong, and we could all laugh at how Sonya was somehow able to discover the existence of multiple realms and unknown species.
J182
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Watched it last night as well.

My God. I forgot how awful it is. The cinematography looks amateur. The awful greenscreen. The laughably bad costumes. (Looking at you Sheeva.) The ATROCIOUS acting. The PS1-level animality fight. And that super abrupt ending where it just kind of ends.

Not to mention discount Raiden is freaking terrible.

The 2% RT score seems high to me.
It was guaranteed to be a classic five min in with this classic delivery.

👽
brillag
AG
Cole Young's suit = Black Panther's suit.
tk for tu juan
Bruce Almighty said:

redline248 said:

There was a Chun Li movie.

Tibbers
Watching it again and golden boy's power is even sillier the second time around. All he does is take an absolute beating. That's his power. The power to get ****ing wailed on. Neat character. And not in the fun Rocky Balboa "yo Adrian" underdog style. There is zero reason to root for the guy. Is the shoe horned family dynamic/mma fighter supposed to make us root for the guy? The guy quits mid way through training and then gets rewarded? and goes on to kill goro? What kind of message is that? He's a quitter. **** that character. If you're going to introduce a character, you have to get the audience to at least care.

The movie is pure trash. They turned Johnny Cage into Kano. Why in the world would Sonya have trusted Kano at all, to use his plane and connections? Doesn't it make more sense to have Johnny Cage in that role?

So jax and Sonya have been tracking Kano forever, finally capture him and then he just says "deuces, I somehow know that smoke monster sub zero is gonna roll up and try to murderize captain beat down. Just throw some chains on that ***** Kano. I'll be back in a bit and bring home some burgers."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

So jax and Sonya have been tracking Kano forever, finally capture him and then he just says "deuces, I somehow know that smoke monster sub zero is gonna roll up and try to murderize captain beat down.
I think you're confused. Smoke wasn't in this one.
Tibbers
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

So jax and Sonya have been tracking Kano forever, finally capture him and then he just says "deuces, I somehow know that smoke monster sub zero is gonna roll up and try to murderize captain beat down.

Could have fooled me. I missed the part in the game where Sub-Zero could turn into a black mist. And it's clear that sub zero could just drop in at any time to **** **** up in the real world, so why not show up when captain beatdown just got his ass kicked and is in the ring at the MMAmateur fight? Wouldn't that have been one of those golden opportunities? He's in a cage and weak from his latest beatdown. Would have been cool, naw, let's go after him when he's chilling with his fam eating burgers cause you know how much sub zero loves killing wives and kids. Makes no sense man.

Wasn't it cool though how sub zero rained down hail and did no damage to Jax's brand new suv? Hey wait, I thought jax and Sonya were broke and living in a damn junk yard? Oh right, jax spent all his money on his ride..
redline248
AG
Quote:

jax spent all his money on his ride
Most realistic part of the movie
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm not arguing the movie wasn't dumb, but I'm pretty sure subzero was teleported there by Shang Tsung.

You appear to be overthinking this. The movie made no sense, was funny, and awesome.
Tibbers
Naw bro, I'm deep diving this *****
PatAg
AG
Tibbers said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Could have fooled me. I missed the part in the game where Sub-Zero could turn into a black mist. And it's clear that sub zero could just drop in at any time to **** **** up in the real world, so why not show up when captain beatdown just got his ass kicked and is in the ring at the MMAmateur fight? Wouldn't that have been one of those golden opportunities? He's in a cage and weak from his latest beatdown. Would have been cool, naw, let's go after him when he's chilling with his fam eating burgers cause you know how much sub zero loves killing wives and kids. Makes no sense man.

Wasn't it cool though how sub zero rained down hail and did no damage to Jax's brand new suv? Hey wait, I thought jax and Sonya were broke and living in a damn junk yard? Oh right, jax spent all his money on his ride..
I dont think it was ever stated that Jax lived there, that was Sonya's place right?
Not a Bot
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't know if there'll ever be a movie opening cooler than this.

The guy screaming Mortal Kombat is apparently an Aggie.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/local/longview-man-is-voice-behind-epic-mortal-kombat-scream/article_4cb440b4-a9cd-11eb-b84b-237b2cc8bf34.html
AMW2010
AG
Wow, I wouldn't believe that story unless I saw it happen with my own eyes. I wonder how hard to is to convince people... yea, I'm the mortal Kombat scream guy... no biggie hahaha especially in it's prime!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.