The Crown - Season 4

6,465 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TriAg2010
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fantastic season.

I feel like they had been somewhat "objective" in their portrayal of Charles and Diana's deteriorating relationship...until I got to episode 9.

I'm not saying the show was biased or inaccurate, but after that one, it's hard to see Charles as anything other than a completely selfish, whiny, immature, and hypocritical dewsh.

Diana had her moments, but she at least attempted to repair the relationship, and Charles had absolutely no interest in doing so.

Again, I'm not sure if this is all creative license or not, so I'm just basing it off what they showed us.

I really loved when the Queen basically told them both to stop behaving like children and to get their **** together. Even though she wasn't as focal of a character in her two seasons, I thought Olivia Colman was a fantastic Elizabeth.

Really looking forward to the new cast coming in next season, though I hate to lose this Diana so quickly. Such perfect casting. Although I do have to say Jonathan Pryce as Phillip is a bit of a WTF. He looks nothing like the first two actors, or the man himelf, and it'll be hard to see him as anything other than the High Sparrow or the Pope.
aTmAg
AG

The portrayal of Charles goes beyond creative license. It's flat out false.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
flat out character assassination.

He certainly is not blameless but his portrayal is completely one sided. I've decided they just wanted to be sympathetic to Diana for the publicity/ratings angle and it's easier to pick on someone living and not get as much blowback as they would for anything seen as an attack on Diana's character.

Even Diana's brother calls it fiction not referring to Charles but the entire potrayal - "It is very hard, there is a lot of conjecture and a lot of invention, isn't there? You can hang it on fact but the bits in between are not fact."

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/entertainment/princess-diana-s-brother-blasts-netflixs-crown#:~:text=Princess%20Diana's%20brother%20has%20blasted,depiction%20of%20his%20late%20sister.&text=Earl%20Spencer%20says%20he%20refused,with%20inaccurate%20and%20misleading%20information.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can definitely see why this was the first season the royal family spoke out this strongly about, then.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

The portrayal of Charles goes beyond creative license. It's flat out false.

Good article.

The things Charles has done are actually quite impressive. I think he was at a loss as how to handle Diana.

The man has quite a reputation for humanitarian and environmentalist (whether you agree with it or not).

The Prince's Trust he established and heads up helps thousands of young unemployed people 18-30, he is a patron or member of over 400 other charities, he has worked on architectural restoration and preservation and urban planning efforts, and many many other efforts besides his official duties. He has laos written books on architecture and other topics.

He does not strike me as uncaring although personal relations can be different.

Diana is portrayed even now whenever the press shows her as this humanitarian, and yes she was active in that too, but it seems to always completely ignore that aspect of Charles. Very biased imho.

Ag Since 83
AG
I'm surprised they didn't feature The Troubles more than they did, particularly the omission of the assassination attempt in Thatcher in 1984. Maybe they will deal with Ireland more in the 90s in season 5
powerbelly
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I'm surprised they didn't feature The Troubles more than they did, particularly the omission of the assassination attempt in Thatcher in 1984. Maybe they will deal with Ireland more in the 90s in season 5

They went out of their way to make Thatcher look weak. There is no way they were going to deal with the assassination attempt.
aTmAg
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

The Pope, Reagan, and Thatcher all had assassination attempts during this period. All 3 of them worked closely together to defeat the Soviet Union. All of this was ignored. That's almost as bad as having a show about George VI and forgetting to mention WW2.
Anti-taxxer
AG
One Louder said:

The episode about the cousins broke my heart. I looked it up and there was a documentary made about them in 2011. I can't believe one of them lived until 2014.

What's the doc?
YouBet
AG
aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

The Pope, Reagan, and Thatcher all had assassination attempts during this period. All 3 of them worked closely together to defeat the Soviet Union. All of this was ignored. That's almost as bad as having a show about George VI and forgetting to mention WW2.

Yes, I'm surprised we didn't see Reagan and heard zero about the Cold War. Reagan literally wasn't even mentioned in passing and I think the Cold War was mentioned once.

As much as backdrop is used in these shows, that seems like a big thing to ignore. Regardless, it's a great show and you have to know this is historical fiction.

Will be fascinating to see angle they take on Diana's death. Wonder if they will go the conspiracy route.
Southlake
What's white and flies over the Irish Sea?

Lord Mountbatten's deck shoes
TriAg2010
AG
I was also hoping for more Margret Thatcher and 80s historical events, but the show is The Crown and not The Prime Minister.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.