The Crown - Season 4

6,407 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TriAg2010
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured I'd get a thread going.

I'm on the third episode, and I gotta say they knocked it out of the park with the casting of Diana. She looks just like her and really gives off the innocent vibe that Diana had.

Gillian Anderson isn't bad as Thatcher, but I just can't stand that weird thing she does with her face all the time.

Overall, loving this season thus far.
mazzag
AG
I'm on episode two. You're so right about Diana. They nailed it. Her hair, clothing and mischief in her eyes. My complaint about Thatcher is how skinny the actress is. Maybe Thatcher was as well but the square jaw made her seem thicker and more of a presence. I'm loving it so far. A bit slow but that's ok. Who is the actor that plays Mr. Thatcher? He's my favorite so far.

Oh wow. It's is Gillian Anderson! She's doing a phenomenal job, IMO.
YouBet
AG
Just finished E1. Really, really good but we love this show.

I somehow was not aware of Dickie's fate.
YouBet
AG
mazzag said:

I'm on episode two. You're so right about Diana. They nailed it. Her hair, clothing and mischief in her eyes. My complaint about Thatcher is how skinny the actress is. Maybe Thatcher was as well but the square jaw made her seem thicker and more of a presence. I'm loving it so far. A bit slow but that's ok. Who is the actor that plays Mr. Thatcher? He's my favorite so far.

Oh wow. It's is Gillian Anderson! She's doing a phenomenal job, IMO.
"Two menopausal women. That should go splendidly."
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
2 episodes in. Absolute nails.

Casting of Diana and Thatcher are both perfect. Performances across the board are superb as we've come to expect. The actor for Charles is great, Phillip too.....it's not the Queen Elizabeth show any more like S1 and S2. Anne is an intriguing character because I think she has been less of a public figure than any of the rest of them. Fascinating.

Helena Bonham Carter is nearly wasted - but has her moments - but I said that in season 3 and then she had that final episode centered on Margaret and she was so damn good. Nominated for the Emmy and should have won it.

Production value once again off the charts.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I made the mistake of googling Lord Mountbatten literally minutes before THAT scene and seeing the year he died. Still, definitely wasn't expecting that.
mazzag
AG
The f ing paparazzi never left her alone.

Edit to add, I'm guessing the PM was grateful for this distraction.
YouBet
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Casting of Diana and Thatcher are both perfect. Performances across the board are superb as we've come to expect. The actor for Charles is great, Phillip too.....it's not the Queen Elizabeth show any more like S1 and S2. Anne is an intriguing character because I think she has been less of a public figure than any of the rest of them. Fascinating.

Helena Bonham Carter is nearly wasted - but has her moments - but I said that in season 3 and then she had that final episode centered on Margaret and she was so damn good. Nominated for the Emmy and should have won it.

I still miss the first Princess. She was awesome. Carter was good in that last episode though. The sheer heartbreak on her face was painful.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I made the mistake of googling Lord Mountbatten literally minutes before THAT scene and seeing the year he died. Still, definitely wasn't expecting that.
And was then surprised by the letter although I guess I shouldn't have been considering how history played out. Had it in my head it was going to be one of those what could have been letters for Charles.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
YouBet said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

I still miss the first Princess. She was awesome. Carter was good in that last episode though. The sheer heartbreak on her face was painful.

Agreed. This show has the awful necessity of replacing most of the main cast members every 2 seasons.

But they handled it really well.

S1 and S2 Margaret and Elizabeth were so so so very good. Seemed an impossible task.

And while the new Queen is good, she is not Claire Foy (imho). However the show changed and the Queen is not the focus so it works out ok. But the character of Margaret transformed dramatically and Helena fits that better for this time period. I had my doubts too early in S3 when Margaret was still kind of a young charismatic enigma. But she lost all her light hearted and wild spirit it seems. Helena is better at the grief and loneliness,

While the original Phillip was good this current Phillip is amazing really. And as terrible of a character as Charles is - dour, sullen, weak, etc. - the actor is just incredible. Of all the characters I think I am watching Charles.and not an actor.

This Lady Di is a breath of fresh air - as was Di herself.

And this Thatcher is great - Gillian is really good - her mannerisms and expression here are just perfect and she is such a great counterpart to the Queen and her commentary on them is biting yet spot on.

mazzag
AG
"While the original Phillip was good this current Phillip is amazing really"

He is. And I've read they're replacing the cast going forward for aging.
Big Al 1992
AG
3 episodes in and this season was way worth the wait. So good! Love the early 80s soundtrack - Stevie Nicks, Ultravox, Duran Duran - ironic that Diana later became friends with a lot of those musicians.
Diana is perfect - looks, accent, mannerisms.
Charles is a major peen and the actor playing him does a good job.
Need to read up on the IRA/Sunday Bloody Sunday/ 18 for Mountbatten- that was a crazy time.
Big Al 1992
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Casting of Diana and Thatcher are both perfect. Performances across the board are superb as we've come to expect. The actor for Charles is great, Phillip too.....it's not the Queen Elizabeth show any more like S1 and S2.

It mirrors real life - once Diana was on the scene, the universe (and the tabloids) focused primarily on her. The show is doing the same thing in episodes 2 and 3. Focus shifts from Elizabeth and Charles to Diana.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet
AG
With Thatcher in this and the Cold War prominent, are we going to see Reagan?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
YouBet said:

With Thatcher in this and the Cold War prominent, are we going to see Reagan?

Reagan went to the UK and met the Queen 3 times the first in 1982. The Queen also went to his ranch once. Reagan was kind of fascinated with the royal family really.

As for Thatcher I would imagine the Falkland Islands would come up and our neutrality in that was a sore spot for the public. And after that conflict Thatcher was pissed at us for selling arms to the Argentines and sent a scathing diplomatic letter to the US......Reagan quipped "Well that's Maggie". They really saw eye to eye on conservative issues and economic policy so there was never much tension but there could have been if they were not so similar minded. But I imagine that will play a part somewhere. Whether we see Reagan in person or just via news reports is questionable. they did the Kennedy's so they certainly could. Reagan is such a caricature it is not difficult to play him.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Max Power
AG
Three episodes in, damn this show is so good. Charles was really sympathetic last season but he sure as hell isn't now. They knocked the Diana casting out of the park.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Episode 4: So who was the favorite?
YouBet
AG
Finished E2. The casting in this show across all seasons has been nigh on perfect. I mean, just f'ing perfect.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AverageJones
AG
Ep 4 spoiler: Seems like they really **** on Andrew for the Epstein ties
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep. No way that conversation wasn't intentional.

And yeah, I guess he was the favorite seeing how he was the only one she seemed to smile with.
Big Al 1992
AG
Funny that all I remember about the Falkland Islands is what I read in Bloom County during that time. All the cartoons about Maggie and Ronnie and Opus looking for his penguin buddies.
AgShaun00
AG
S3 bored me. Do I need to watch it or just watch this season?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You could probably skip it, but if S3 bored you, I don't see S4 holding your interest either, tbh.
Ag Since 83
AG
He was also the only one he seemed enthusiastic about his duty, eager to go serve in a war. Anne was too caught up in moping about her personal life, Edward was quite the prep school *******, and Charles was, well, Charles. They established in S2 she just views him as a reminder she's gonna die
aTmAg
AG
I just got to the episode about the break in. Since it didn't pass the smell test (was just too politically perfect), I looked up the real events. Turns out the dude almost certainly did not have a conversation with the queen, didn't do it "for the common man" or any of that BS. Guy was royal fanatic, was high oh shrooms, and wanted to feel "naughty". The queen reportedly hauled ass as soon as she saw him and another dude distracted him whiskey until authorities arrived. The guy was certifiable nutcase. Once he broke in, he considered cutting his wrists in front of the queen. Of course he didn't. He later got arrested for indecent exposure, fighting cops, and dealing heroin.

Secondly, even IF the story was how the Crown presented it, it STILL would be BS. If you are a normal (not insane) 31 year old dude, then you had PLENTY of opportunity to acquired more skills in life than that of a painter. It shouldn't be on everybody else to subsidize you because you refuse to get off your ass and make yourself more productive. Furthermore, the government shouldn't let the British taxpayers in the Falklands get overrun and screwed over because you want the government to pay you off while you sit on your ass. If some foreign country invaded Puerto Rico, we'd for damn sure come to their rescue.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jesus, dude. Are you gonna do this for every show?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jesus, dude. Are you gonna do this for every show?
Only when they ruin themselves with BS political views.
Tanya 93
Yes

He is what he is

Someone you cannot discuss shows with
aTmAg
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Yes

He is what he is

Someone you cannot discuss shows with
You can always not read my posts, if you prefer your safe space.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.