Horror Movie October

6,867 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by gggmann
mandevilleag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nothing to add for the horror movies. Some excellent choices here.

But for the reprieve, the list is not complete without Young Frankenstein.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
New ones seen so far:

Creep (Good, if slow, indie horror movie.)

Creep 2 (Same basic premise, but a little bit of a better movie imo.)

The Guest (Honestly surprising how much I enjoyed it. It's not really scary, but I love the Halloween "feel" of this one, especially in the final act.)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I've never been more scared in my life.

Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Guest (Honestly surprising how much I enjoyed it. It's not really scary, but I love the Halloween "feel" of this one, especially in the final act.)

I ****ing LOVE The Guest... recommend it to everyone. Dan Stevens is awesome in it. It's like three genre movies in one.
jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

I've never been more scared in my life.

Great, now I won't be able to get to sleep tonight.
Tibbers
Here are a couple that need to be added for the sheer what the **** factor:

Mystics in Bali

The Seven Golden Vampires

Tibbers
Here are a couple more that I love

Mr. Vampire

Magic Cop
TXAG 05
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah, but his non horror adaptations have given us two of the greatest movies ever: Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me.

Don't forget Running Man. One of the all time greats.
Silky Johnston
Don't know why I didn't think of this, but a PERFECT reprieve movie is Ernest Scared Stupid. Absolute masterpiece!
TresPuertas
AG
Has anyone seen the Babadook? Heard someone talking about it on the radio today and said it was pretty good. Curious to know if anyone here had caught it
Proposition Joe
Well above average. Didn't love it the first time I watched it, but seen again through the depression lens and it's a lot heavier hitting.
AustinAg2K
Almost three weeks in, and I'm curious if the OP had started sharpening his axe or bought a new chainsaw yet.
Punked Shank
AG
TresPuertas said:

Has anyone seen the Babadook? Heard someone talking about it on the radio today and said it was pretty good. Curious to know if anyone here had caught it

Garbage movie
astros4545
AG
Horror reprieve option

The Babysitter on Netflix is a fun horror comedy
They also put out a sequel last month
chilimuybueno
AG
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken with Don Knotts.
Maacus
jkag89 said:

Proposition Joe said:

I try unsuccessfully every year but making another go this year to watch 1 scary movie every day/night of October. Having to sprinkle in some light-hearted stuff this year for the SO, but looking for some of you horror gurus to give some suggestions on additions and possibly modifications.

Definites:

Cabin In the Woods
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Shivers
The Thing
Night of the Living Dead
Psycho
Hereditary
Event Horizon (wouldn't normally be on my list but she has work friends that have talked about it so want her to see it)
New Nightmare (she has seen the original NOES countless times, but I want the series to still get it's due and this is the next best thing IMO)
Suspiria
Deep Red
Don't Look Now
Candyman
The Shining
Halloween

The "Give the girlfriend a reprieve" list:

Ghostbusters
Nightmare Before Christmas Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Hocus Pocus Shaun of the Dead
Addams Family

Still need to fill out 11 from this group, or any suggestions:

Let The Right One In
It Follows
Jason X (like NOES above I want to give F13th series it's due, and this is the most fun one of the bunch)
Rosemary's Baby
The Birds

Drag Me To Hell (am I remembering this one too fondly?)
Carrie
The Conjuring
The Exorcist
The Omen
An American Werewolf In London

Scream
Phantasm
The Vanishing
The Ring / Ringu (worth going Japanese subtitles if we're already having to go with both of Argento's films subtitled above?)
Curse of the Demon (wanted to throw in something old that I've never seen)
And my suggestions in addition to the two replacements I made to your reprieve list
Trick 'r Treat
The Innocents (1961)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Haunting (1963)

I have to watch Trick 'r Treat. Thank you!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Creepshow 1 and 2. Love both, haven't seen the third.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I see that you were thr first to post Train To Busan.

Just watched it. Holy ****, that was FANTASTIC. Easily one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen.

Highly recommend to watch it in Korean and not dubbed. (Currently on Crackle.)
Max Power
AG
It might not be horror but Free Solo is one of the scariest films of all time. It's white-knuckle film making at its best. My heart was pounding.
BrownDeerAggie
AG
Not gory, but two really good ones with great actors and lots of suspense which builds throughout are The Changeling (1980, starring George C. Scott) and Ghost Story (1981, starring Fred Astaire and some other great actors like John Houseman).
TAZ99
AG
Watched Haunt last night, a haunted house movie produced by Eli Roth. Had a few of his usual touches and was a fun watch. Anyone else seen it?
dreyOO
Another vote for Emily Rose, especially since you're making this interesting for the SO.

We watched the original Fright Night last night...ha. Cool little flick if you do any old school ones...although it was a good bit cheesier than I remembered.
MW03
AG
dreyOO said:

We watched the original Fright Night last night...ha. Cool little flick if you do any old school ones...although it was a good bit cheesier than I remembered.
Campy horror is the best for Halloween. Fright Night, They Live, The Leprechaun, anything with Bruce Campbell. All excellent choices.
Max Power
AG
If you like horrifying horror, like omg wtf is happening?!?!?!?! I would recommend The Void, it's bonkers. The Ritual is on Netflix and I liked that one as well.

COVID pissed me of because Antlers has been delayed until sometime next year. I was really looking forward to that one. The short story it's based on, The Quiet Boy, is a really good read if you enjoy reading horror.
Philo B 93
Why do people like horror movies? There's no laughs or warm fuzzies. There's no calvary or love conquering a bad situation. There is murder, violence, and fear. Why do people seek that out?
TXAG 05
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Why do people like horror movies? There's no laughs or warm fuzzies. There's no calvary or love conquering a bad situation. There is murder, violence, and fear. Why do people seek that out?

Because they are fun
Tibbers
Philo B 93 said:

Often horror films end on good conquering evil or at least escaping evil. Most slashers, for example, end this way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Philo B 93 said:

ChrisTheClassic
AG
We watched the Autopsy of Jane Doe last week. Pretty solid movie with really good acting, and it is pretty creepy. Highly recommend if you are looking for one you havent seen yet.

One that isnt exactly horror (more sci-fi but still creepy) that we really enjoyed was The Endless on netflix.
Proposition Joe
Philo B 93 said:

They can be very raw and make the viewer feel vulnerable whereas most people don't have to experience fear like that in every day life.

It's like skydiving.
gggmann
AG
Philo B 93 said:

For the same reason people ride rollercoasters and go to haunted houses - they get to flirt with "death" in a safe manner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.