Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dual purpose backpack

1,636 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by JeremiahJohnson
FriscoAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All knowing OB. Anyone have recs on a backpack that could be used for both multi-day trips to Europe as well as hunting/fishing trips? Want something without a ton of external straps and preferably black or some other muted color. For reference, I'm not packing out elk - just need a travel pack for routine hunting/fishing trips that may involve air travel and wouldn't look out of place on an international vacation.
TIA!
Furlock Bones
AG
not sure how many times we have to go over this. do not mix a hunting bag with a travel bag. you are bound to forget there's a gun in there or at least a cartridge or 2 and put yourself into a bad but preventable situation.

in fact, I was having this very chat with a coworker yesterday afternoon. his buddy got arrested for forgetting his pistol in his carry on.

my buddy's dad who is one of those crazy flies every week work travelers did the same last year.

just don't do it.
AggieT
AG
https://eberlestock.com/products/switchblade

I have an Eberlestock that would work. Great bag.

Edit: agree with the above.
Tumble Weed
Furlock Bones said:

not sure how many times we have to go over this. do not mix a hunting bag with a travel bag. you are bound to forget there's a gun in there or at least a cartridge or 2 and put yourself into a bad but preventable situation.

in fact, I was having this very chat with a coworker yesterday afternoon. his buddy got arrested for forgetting his pistol in his carry on.

my buddy's dad who is one of those crazy flies every week work travelers did the same last year.

just don't do it.
I am not worried about forgetting a pistol, but 6 Americans got thrown in jail for having a little bit of ammo in TCI. These backpacks with 500 pockets could easily hide a round or two.

My Euro bags will never be the same as my hunting bags.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I just did 3 weeks using this bag. I travel pretty light and this bag fits a lot, and is a great carry on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6GCHWW2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
aggie_wes
AG
Furlock Bones said:

just don't do it.

100% this. I bought a gun from a guy at work, he forgot to bring the mags that day, so he handed them to me a few days later and I put them in my work backpack to take home and promptly forgot about them.

About a month later going through airport, I was reminded when they pulled my bag aside and pulled out two 30 round mags. Thank goodness they were empty or it would have been a really bad day.

I share this to reiterate, don't mix a work/travel bag with a gun/hunting bag.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Appreciate the replies - for the record I have a dedicated bag I check with all the pokey/boomy type things.
This would just be for clothes/laptop, etc that is both durable and doesn't scream I'm a tourist.
mpl35
AG
Yep. I missed a shotgun shell in my backpack. TSA in San Antonio was kind enough to confiscate it for me.
mpl35
AG
FriscoAggieFan said:

Appreciate the replies - for the record I have a dedicated bag I check with all the pokey/boomy type things.
This would just be for clothes/laptop, etc that is both durable and doesn't scream I'm a tourist.
I appreciate your attempt to find a dual purpose bag. For me it is a compromise that forces you to give up something. I like by hunting backpack with a place to easily access some items but my travel back pack to be more about internal storage and simplicity without a lot of bells and whistles. Like you say - something nondescript.

ShinerDunk93
AG
AggieT said:

First, very cool pack.......I don't need one but I want one.

I also recommend Salomon packs. Lightweight, well designed and built and without a bunch of stuff hanging off. Reasonably priced. They make quality stuff.

Second on the being carful about ammo for travel bags.

I few years ago my family booked and cruise out of Galveston and we all got pulled out of security because I had a single .22 round in my checked bag that worked it's way into the lining of my bag. Spent about 45 mins talking to security and the Port Authority police and filling out forms that I wasn't a terrorist. We still were able to board, but is sure was a hassle and it kind of traumatized my kids.
TexAgs: as long as we have each other, we will never run out of problems.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community
Furlock Bones
AG
now as far as bags go. Yeti bought Mystery Ranch. the rumors are they are either going to dump the Hunting/Outdoor bags altogether or at least rebrand them to Yeti and focus Mystery Ranch on Military and Government. So, there could be some deals to be had soon.
mpl35
AG
Osprey Daylite 44L Carry-On Travel Pack, Black

That is probably my next one. Current one has transitioned to full time day pack for simple hiking.....because it is stained with sweat.
big ben
AG
mpl35 said:

Yep. I missed a shotgun shell in my backpack. TSA in San Antonio was kind enough to confiscate it for me.

Here….20 rounds in a side pocket at Hobby by accident.

Now i have hunting/outdoors bag in camo, business/travel bag in black (which I still double check to this day)
SoTxAg
AG
I had a smaller pack that i used for dove hunting which held a bunch of loose ammo for a long time. I emptied it one time to use as a carry on but still got flagged by TSA at the SA airport cuz they said there was enough powder residue or something in there that set off the machine. I dont cross the streams anymore.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Never, never, NEVER have the same backpack for hunting as you do for travel.

Have one for hunting.

Have one for travel.

You will leave a round (or two), a knife, or even a pistol in the bag from your last hunting trip when you go to the airport.
OverSeas AG
AG
AggieT said:

I have carried my eberlestock switchblade around the world. Best packs I have ever had.

That said I have two of these. One for hunting/adventure and one for travel. My hunting pack has a big orange tag on the top carry handle. I only take that off when in the field and it goes back on the moment i get back to my base. Every time.

I never ever carry both on a trip.

But eberlestock makes great products. Mystery ranch as well.

DON'T TREAD ON ME
Independence H-D
ShinerDunk93 said:

AggieT said:

First, very cool pack.......I don't need one but I want one.

I also recommend Salomon packs. Lightweight, well designed and built and without a bunch of stuff hanging off. Reasonably priced. They make quality stuff.

Second on the being carful about ammo for travel bags.

I few years ago my family booked and cruise out of Galveston and we all got pulled out of security because I had a single .22 round in my checked bag that worked it's way into the lining of my bag. Spent about 45 mins talking to security and the Port Authority police and filling out forms that I wasn't a terrorist. We still were able to board, but is sure was a hassle and it kind of traumatized my kids.

Was using my tactical bag on a cruise. Security stopped me. I had two bottles of whiskey and there that I had modified the labels of to make them look like wine bottles. I had done this before and didn't have any problems. So TSA is going through my bag and they pull out a collapsible baton that it worked its way down into the bottom. Wife and kids were mortified.

To make the long story short. I thank them for believing that I could take over a cruise ship with a collapsible baton like I was Steven seagal or something. Apologize for my mistake. Ask them to dispose of it. Put my bourbon back in my tactical bag and went on my cruise.
Tx95Ag
AG
Furlock Bones said:

just don't do it.

I have a friend who did this. It sucked for his family. Just don't.
SandyHookVA
AG
One that's good for one, maybe not so good for another.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/dragonfly/

ULA's stuff is bombproof.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
GoRuck GR2 is the best I have found.

I have 2 one in Black for travel and one in Woodland Camo. Because I am too stupid to check my backpack before I fly and nearly got arrested last time something was in there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.