*** LOVECRAFT COUNTRY *** (HBO Series)

17,826 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bluefire579
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, that about sums it up. I find it entertaining, and a lot of great callbacks to the pulp era (not just Lovecraft), but I wouldn't put it as must watch.
Duncan Idaho
Your time would be better spent watching dark
Righteousgemstone
Just when I thought I was about to stop watching. This last weeks episode was amazing. Those little black girls were so creepy.
Duncan Idaho
They were well done. And we're effects they could afford to do
fig96
AG
I need to catch up, other shows have taken precedence over this one for me.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Nearly finished the first season. I came in expecting a True Detective, Breaking Bad-type drama that dealt with racism metaphorically through Lovecraftian horror. It looks like what we got is Ash verses Evil Dead with racism. I'm still greatly enjoying it, but it's campy B movie stuff. Caught me way off guard.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Duncan Idaho
The Saturday night live sketch was pretty perfect.

TCTTS
ramblin_ag02
AG
This thread also cracks me up. Sure sure, Jordan Peele who was raised by his white mother and has a white wife is totally trying to start a race war
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Duncan Idaho
You do realize that some of those people believe the things you describe are how the a race war is being waged.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

You do realize that some of those people believe the things you describe are how the a race war is being waged.

Some of those people are ridiculous
Duncan Idaho
Oh I agree.
Tobias Funke
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The Saturday night live sketch was pretty perfect.

Who is the main girl in that sketch? She is terrible
Duncan Idaho
That is the chick from HBO's Insecure.
MBAR
AG
fig96 said:

The fraction of shows that you're complaining about is kind of fascinating.

I'd bet easily 75% of mainstream tv is shows about white suburban/middle class characters, much less not shows that focus on racial division. And of that remaining 25%, maybe a handful are focused on race and portraying primarily negative events.

Even then, it's really sad that I learned about an event like the Tulsa Wall Street Massacre from an HBO show and not a textbook. Just because a show deals with inflammatory topics doesn't mean it serves to divide people. We learn through allegory and storytelling, and a story needs to show both the ugly side and the successes to be effective.

And even then, this is a show focused on a group of African American characters in the 50s. Should it be whitewashed and show them just living a wonderful life with no problems, or should it show some of the struggle these characters would have gone through?

Recent events have shed light on things that lots of people haven't ever really thought about because it doesn't affect them in our day to day lives. Your concept of just ignoring those things and all getting along makes it easier for those people, but it doesn't serve to help people who are still dealing with those issues every day.

So yeah, sometimes we do need shows that don't just show us as all getting along despite our minor cultural differences, because oftentimes the world isn't like that.

I know this is an old post, but I just watched this show this weekend and just found this thread so I just found this post but ****ing THANK YOU. My mind was just blown earlier in this thread when someone complained about this show becasue HBO had just done Watchmen as if having a WHOLE TWO SHOWS take this approach to race relations in this country was just TOO MANY.

The first time I ever heard about Tulsa was Watchmen. LC did it even better. Everyone in this country needs to know about Tulsa. Its criminal that its never taught.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

Tibbers said:

I alluded to city of angels, a great show that focused on race in a meaningful way. It's just a pattern of behavior across most entertainment outlets. As I mentioned earlier, it's being incentivized and encouraged in film school.

As to why its a problem, I think the best way to deal with race issues is to show that they are only mental constructs. We are all the same except for cultural differences. When we can learn to laugh about those differences and not be inflamed by an incredibly small percentage of bad actors (racists), we can grow beyond focusing on color.

Now, and this is devoid of sarcasm, I'm sure your show will handle the subject matter gracefully. I have great confidence in your ability and think you will knock it out of the park.

Seriously, congratulations dude! That's an incredible accomplishment! I will watch your show as well.

Re: my show, I appreciate the support. I really do. At the very least, it'll be different from anything you've seen, and will tackle some of these themes in a way that's completely fresh and unique.

As for your race-as-a-problem explanation, however, we simply have a fundamental disagreement there.

I know you and others mean well with the "I don't see color! We're all the same!" sentiment. I get it. I do. But the more I've listened to people of color, the more I've come to understand how dismissive that sentiment can be. Because the fact is, in many instances, we ARE different. Beyond just the color of our skin. Our experiences, our history, our traditions, the way we're treated, etc, can at times be very distinct and separate, sometimes in very tangible and horrific ways. So, in that sense, certain black people don't want to hear the platitude that race - i.e. their history, traditions, the way they're treated, etc - is merely a "mental construct." Because it's not. It's so much more than that. Black people are instead saying, "We ARE different, and we want you to accept us ANYWAY." And only when we realize that - when we stop dismissing their experiences and point of view as nothing more than a "mental construct" and "victimhood mentality" - will they be validated in the way they're seeking. But that validation can only come from empathy on our part, which, as I spoke to earlier, is what they're ultimately seeking in these stories they're telling.

In other words, as long as people like you keep saying, "Race doesn't matter, get over it," the more people like them are going to keep making race a priority in the stories they're telling, as a means to try and get you to understand that it *does.* Yes, the goal is to eventually "grow beyond color." But we can't do that until our differences our first acknowledged, and then truly reckoned with.
And while I'm dredging up old posts that are good, this one nails it too.
MBAR
AG
Sad that discussion on this show died off so early. I think the early episodes were worse, but it definitely hit its stride somewhere around the Korean episode, IMO. The second to last one, where they visit Tulsa, was as powerful for me as the Watchmen episode memory pills episode. I think these are amazing ways to tell a story that has been utterly erased for this nation, but not for a segment of this nation.

Michael K Williams deserves an Emmy for his work here.
Duncan Idaho
I enjoyed this take on the book.

bluefire579
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I enjoyed this take on the book.

Neat perspective. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the book is a very good read, and I definitely recommend it, especially for anyone who's a fan of pulp works
West Point Aggie
AG
I rarely go over most of such a long thread. However, i appreciate it when it helps me decide whether to watch, re-watch or avoid something on TV. Thanks Texags!!
AgfromHOU
AG
Holy ****. I watched the first three episodes and wanted to check out the discussion.

Apparently it's a racist version WW84 according to the first 6 pages of this thread.

I'm loving it and its strangeness so far. I've had a thing for strange lately (Doom Patrol), so that helps.

End of episode 2 hit hard with Uncle George dying.

The line about white people owning magic, too was absolutely hilarious.

I'm so glad that the white wizard lady is back! I feel like the scene with her giving birth to the vampire monster meant something that will play out later.

I'm really enjoying the show so far, and aside from the sci-fi stuff it's been cool to see a different point of view.
bluefire579
AG
https://deadline.com/2021/07/lovecraft-country-canceled-no-season-2-hbo-1234785811/

I wasn't expecting a second season since they pretty much covered the book in one, but looks like HBO confirmed it's a one and done

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.