Revisiting Gladiator

7,577 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by pdaddy
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Think that tiger they used belonged to Carole F'in Baskin?
I'm surprised that whole fight hasn't been redone with their faces on it
Keegan99
AG
Wasn't until recently that I learned that the filmmakers faked the final few scenes they needed after Oliver Reed (Proximo) died during filming.

One of the first films to use CGI in that way.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ranger #007 said:

I don't think that's included in the extended cut. I'm trying to remember if it has the scene where they feed Christians to lions and tigers in the Colosseum.
yeah im saying it was a DVD extra.

aTmAg
AG
I was told going into this movie that it was bad and predictable. So I had low expectations. About halfway through, I decided, "<my friend> is full of crap. This movie is pretty damned good" I called him afterwards and told him so.
YouBet
AG
aTmAg said:

I was told going into this movie that it was bad and predictable. So I had low expectations. About halfway through, I decided, "<my friend> is full of crap. This movie is pretty damned good" I called him afterwards and told him so.

Your friend is Milwaukee's Best Light who not only had a bad take on this movie but also apparently likes terrible beer.
SACR
AG
I watched the Spartacus series on Netflix, then came back and watched Gladiator, and kept seeing holes in their defenses.
rhutton125
AG
pdaddy said:

"You knew Marcus Aurelius!"

I did not say I knew him, I said he touched me on the shoulder once!
Pignorant
AG
Shadows and dust, Maximus!
Gigem314
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Think that tiger they used belonged to Carole F'in Baskin?
It might have been the tiger she fed her husband to...
Gigem314
AG
Keegan99 said:

Wasn't until recently that I learned that the filmmakers faked the final few scenes they needed after Oliver Reed (Proximo) died during filming.

One of the first films to use CGI in that way.
And did it well, for the technology for of time. I never even realized they did it until reading about it years later.

Just an incredible film all-around. One of the modern-epics. Crazy that it's 20 years old now!

That film also introduced me to Joaquin Phoenix. Incredible actor. Thinking about the diversity of some of his major roles....Commodus, Johnny Cash, The Joker, and Jesus. Weird guy, but one of the best actors I've ever seen.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

That film also introduced me to Joaquin Phoenix. Incredible actor. Thinking about the diversity of some of his major roles....Commodus, Johnny Cash, The Joker, and Jesus. Weird guy, but one of the best actors I've ever seen.

You forgot tin foil hat wearing washed up baseball player alien killer.
TXAG 05
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I'm vexed. I'm terribly vexed.

Never liked this line, but otherwise great movie.
MW03
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

I'm vexed. I'm terribly vexed.

Never liked this line, but otherwise great movie.

MW03
AG
Swarely
First R rated movie I snuck into.
Redstone
AG
The film is not historically accurate.

I prefer the HBO series, Rome. John Milius took the research seriously. He was in financial trouble at the time, one reason he did so, but he also is genuinely interested in crafting realistic historical portrayals.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Watch History channel.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The **** is this?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/05/gladitor-ridley-scott-russell-crowe-best-picture-oscar
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The **** is this?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/05/gladitor-ridley-scott-russell-crowe-best-picture-oscar
Quote:

But the best picture designation has been an odd stain on Gladiator's reputation over the years: a film that might have been remembered as a satisfying revenge spectacle instead looks like a second-rate prestige picture.

Lolwut?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly. What a moron. And especially considering Titanic won 2 years earlier. Blockbusters can be good.

Others that should've won:
Star Wars over Annie Hall
The Dark Knight over Slumdog Millionaire
Rex Racer
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

If i remember the DVD had a half-finished animatic where there was supposed to be another fight scene in the coloseum with rhinos.

One of the first 3 DVDs I ever bought along with XMen and Jar Jar Bink's Big Adventure
This was my very first DVD that I bought when I got my first DVD player.
MGS
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

...and kid who's robot friend initiated a shuttle launch to get him into space.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Space Camp?
GoAgs92
AG
Redstone said:

The film is not historically accurate.

I prefer the HBO series, Rome. John Milius took the research seriously. He was in financial trouble at the time, one reason he did so, but he also is genuinely interested in crafting realistic historical portrayals.

It's no I Claudius
Ulrich
There was a movie that was almost made in the 1940s that would have been the best ever, you all probably haven't heard of it.
Robert C. Christian
AG
MW03 said:

Proximo was underrated. It's a shame he died before they could do reshoots.
Holy ****, what a way to go.

Quote:

Oliver Reed died from a heart attack during a break from filming Gladiator in Valletta, Malta, on the afternoon of 2 May 1999. According to witnesses, he drank eight pints of German lager, a dozen shots of rum, half a bottle of whiskey and a few shots of Hennessy cognac, in a drinking match against a group of sailors on shore leave from HMS Cumberland at a local pub. His bar bill totaled a little over 270 Maltese lira (about 594.72 USD). After beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling, Reed suddenly collapsed, dying while en route to hospital in an ambulance. He was 61 years old.
The Collective
AG
Ultimately, we're all dead men. Sadly, we cannot choose how but, what we can decide is how we meet that end, in order that we are remembered, as men.
EMY92
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Watch History channel.
I don't remember any pawn shops in Gladiator.
Gigem314
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

Swing away...
abileneag09
AG
MGS said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This just blew my mind. I watched Space Camp dozens of times as a kid. Had no idea Max was Joaquin Phoenix.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Love the movie. Could have maybe trimmed 10-15 min from the final cut bc it does drag in a couple places but has some of the best action pieces ever. The first battle is epic and the chariot sequence is an another level. The wheat touching flashes are a little heavy handed and over the top for me, but otherwise, such a damn good film. Probably 2a in my Ridley Scott rankings, just behind Blade Runner and tied with Alien (although i did re-watch the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven recently and that version is SO MUCH better than the theatrical version and i would put it up there in RS's pantheon)

Crazy how the action scenes still hold up and, in many cases, are even better than a lot of the **** we get now. Cast was perfect (supposedly Crowe pushed for Chris Plummer instead of Richard Harris? which would have been good, but Harris is a GD icon and perfect for Marcus Aurelius). Phoenix should have won Best Supporting for this role (BDT for Traffic?? c'mon man...) Crowe is perfect and nails the role. dont think there is an actor right now that could pull off the character in the same way. You have to believe people will gravitate to him as a leader, is a badass on the battlefield yet not herculean, but can also pull off the anguish and torment Maximus experiences.

It was a bummer about Reed. Their forced CGI of him is probably the weakest part of the movie, but its not completely distracting an not overused. would have been curious ho their fall back was if they had to recast? Supposedly, one of the original script versions had Proximo and Maximus fighting in the arena (cant remember if it was bc he betrayed him, or that was how Commodus struck at him rather than the stabbing in the back CGI scene we got) with Maximus having to kill Proximo, prior to the final fight with Commodus. Obviously, Reed's death prevented that from happening and they had to re-write the script. Would have been entertaining seeing Reed have that action scene. He just steals some of the scenes hes in.

----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Ultimately, we're all dead men. Sadly, we cannot choose how but, what we can decide is how we meet that end, in order that we are remembered, as men.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Gigem314
AG
abileneag09 said:

MGS said:

Ag_07 said:

Quote:

This just blew my mind. I watched Space Camp dozens of times as a kid. Had no idea Max was Joaquin Phoenix.
Whaaaa? I watched that as a kid. Had no idea! "Use the force, Luke!"
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Exactly. What a moron. And especially considering Titanic won 2 years earlier. Blockbusters can be good.

Others that should've won:
Star Wars over Annie Hall
The Dark Knight over Slumdog Millionaire
Raiders of the Lost Ark over Chariots of Fire
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.