Revisiting Gladiator

7,634 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by pdaddy
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I watched Gladiator last night for the first time in several years. It hit me last night that the visuals in that movie are amazing. Also the emperor role was perfect for Joaquin Phoenix. Still enjoyable for me 20 years later. (Good Lord has it really been 20 years)
Fat Bib Fortuna
Unbelievable soundtrack. Unbelievable fights. Lots of great supporting performances. Joaquin Phoenix channeling some really creepy tendencies. That opening battle scene, him charging through the flames with his dog right there, the freaking rage he channels when he takes the helmet off in the arena, man that is one bad ass movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Everything Muck said.

The music alone gives me chills, especially in the opening battle and in the first Colliseum fight.

"My name is Maximus..." scene is a top 10 all time "badass good guy" scene.

Commodus was one of the best villains of the 00's. Up there with Ledger's Joker. 20 years later, I'm still asking myself if he was sexually attracted to his nephew in that one scene, or if he was just trying to intimidate his sister.
wcb
AG
Easily makes my top 5 list
Fat Bib Fortuna

I've always wanted a football team to use this the first time their defense goes on the field. But like a good team, not A&M.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Top 10 movie of the decade
YouBet
AG
Just an incredible movie. May watch this weekend.

One of my more stressful movie moments was praying that dog didn't get killed in battle.
The Collective
AG
I have watched is so many times. My favorite movie. I used to watch it each time my wife and kids left town without me.
Big Al 1992
AG
I'm vexed. I'm terribly vexed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PatAg
AG
Bunk Moreland
don't know if there's ever been better timing of the perfect role matching up with an actor entering the exact peak of their career like there was with Maximus/Crowe.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

20 years later, I'm still asking myself if he was sexually attracted to his nephew in that one scene, or if he was just trying to intimidate his sister.
Im pretty sure he was just hinting that the boy is in danger to his sister...threatening her because he suspected her working behind his back (busy little bees).

I dont think they were insinuating attraction.
AgGrad99
AG
It's also a great movie to watch in surround sound. The opening battle scene especially.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Probably. It's just weird. He gets...really close to his face.

Edit: I believe I conflated two scenes - the "busy little bee" scene, and when Commodus was getting pretty grabby with his sister on the bed.

There was definitely incestuous undertones there, but it wasn't towards Lucius.
powerbelly
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

20 years later, I'm still asking myself if he was sexually attracted to his nephew in that one scene, or if he was just trying to intimidate his sister.
Im pretty sure he was just hinting that the boy is in danger to his sister...threatening her because he suspected her working behind his back (busy little bees).

I dont think they were insinuating attraction.

I don't think it was attraction as much as power thing. It would have brought great shame on his sister and her son.
The Collective
AG
The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end.
AgGrad99
AG
Right. I just mean, I dont think he was insinuating sexual stuff with the nephew....just that Lucius was in danger if Lucilla kept meddling.

Commodus was definitely attracted to his sister though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

This has gotta be one of my favorite movie endings ever.

"Go to them." Picking up Maximus' body and leaving Commodus dead on the ground.

"We will see each other again. But not yet. Not yet." And that amazing final track by Lisa Gerrard.

About as perfect as movies can get, really.
AgBQ-00
AG
I love the stunned silence of the previously roaring crowd as Commodus dies. It is so sharp a moment.
MW03
AG
Proximo was underrated. It's a shame he died before they could do reshoots.
ChipFTAC01
AG
It's really a credit to Joaquin Phoenix that I don't like him because he was so good at playing Commodus as such a terrible *******.

I feel similar about Elizabeth Moss, except she made Zoey Bartlett so annoying I'm transerferd that to her personally.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Eh, it really drags in some spots. If you crank the sound up and just watch the fight scenes it is great. Not saying it has to be shallow and just a kill fest, but it bored me through lots of parts and I don't fully get all the love this movie gets. I guess you can say 'I am not entertained'.
aggiepaintrain
AG
With that remark

"I will have my revenge in this life or the next"

Gladiator is fcking AWESOME
AgBQ-00
AG
PatAg said:

pdaddy
AG
Went to the Coliseum two years ago...first thing I said was "You knew Marcus Aurelius!"

Love that movie. All time great along with Spartacus!
Ulrich
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Probably. It's just weird. He gets...really close to his face.

Edit: I believe I conflated two scenes - the "busy little bee" scene, and when Commodus was getting pretty grabby with his sister on the bed.

There was definitely incestuous undertones there, but it wasn't towards Lucius.

Undertones?
Fat Bib Fortuna
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Eh, it really drags in some spots. If you crank the sound up and just watch the fight scenes it is great. Not saying it has to be shallow and just a kill fest, but it bored me through lots of parts and I don't fully get all the love this movie gets. I guess you can say 'I am not entertained'.
This post is the epitome of the Entertainment board. Guy makes a post about enjoying a movie 20 years later, other people enjoy it and respond in kind, then someone has to come along and let the world know "oh wait, I didn't like it, WAHHH WAHHH WAHHH".

I would like to now quote the most essential movie of all time, Father of the Bride 2, when I say,

Every party needs a pooper.
That's why we invited you.
Milwaukee Best Light
Milwaukee Best LIght

staff, please revoke ag tag and delete user.

The Collective
AG
I guess I don't have an issue with it. If we are revisiting a film, would that not include commentary from someone who did not enjoy it?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I Have Spoken said:

The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end.
This should be said to Redstone any time he posts.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Eh, he wasn't an ass about it which is more the Entertainment board thing. If he came in and just trashed the movie and anyone who liked it as is common I'd agree.

That said, he is terribly, horribly, hilariously wrong.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Decided to watch the extended cut after reading this thread.
Fat Bib Fortuna
If i remember the DVD had a half-finished animatic where there was supposed to be another fight scene in the coloseum with rhinos.

One of the first 3 DVDs I ever bought along with XMen and Jar Jar Bink's Big Adventure
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Think that tiger they used belonged to Carole F'in Baskin?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't think that's included in the extended cut. I'm trying to remember if it has the scene where they feed Christians to lions and tigers in the Colosseum.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.