**** THE UNOFFICIAL SOCIAL DISTANCING 1980s BEST MOVIE TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS ****

30,341 Views | 500 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Well between 3 a.m. and 10 a.m. someone voted for Karate Kid and Ghostbusters 59 straight times, so the voting is now locked. The championship between Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes back will commence tomorrow morning.

Thanks for being an anonymous ****** bag.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Well between 3 a.m. and 10 a.m. someone voted for Karate Kid and Ghostbusters 59 straight times, so the voting is now locked. The championship between Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes back will commence tomorrow morning.

3am holy cow thats some dedication.
toucan82
damn Russian bots
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What a ****ing moron. I bet it's all the same guy.
The Debt
Coog97
MuckRaker96 said:

This is why we can't have nice things.
CharlieBrown17
AG
THE COMPUTER IS VOTING FOR.... ghost busters?
Fat Bib Fortuna
Both empire and raiders have had more than 80% of the vote before captain dumb*** swooped in last night.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Reminds me of Howard Stern trying to get people to vote for the worst American Idol contestant.
ApachePilot
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I only voted for karate Kid 27 times so it wasn't me.

I'm boycotting this final contest on the grounds BTTF was and will always be the All-time greatest movie ever ever ever.

Fat Bib Fortuna
Hey guys, here's the final matchup. Thanks for the memories, although after the last couple of rounds of one or more idiots wasting my time, I kinda feel like this.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Shank Ag
I bet Harrison Ford wins
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, can we just appreciate the fact that the two best moments for Harrison Ford's two best characters/movies were both created (or co-created) by him?

This alone makes him a legend.
The Shank Ag
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, can we just appreciate the fact that the two best moments for Harrison Ford's two best characters/movies were both created (or co-created) by him?

This alone makes him a legend.
For someone ignorant of those facts... story time?
Fat Bib Fortuna
He had the runs during the filming of the scene in Raiders, which was supposed to be a longer, more elaborate fight matching his bull whip vs. the swordsman. Since he had to stay close to the porcelain, he improvised just shooting the guy.

And he came up with "I know" as a response to Leia's "I love you." Original line was "I love you too."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From the Indy wiki:

Quote:

The sequence depicting the swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark was dramatically shortened from conception. The film's script, written by Lawrence Kasdan, originally intended to have Indy fight the swordsman with lengthy choreography and demonstration of his whip, including a gag where the swordsman accidentally cleaves through a tough piece of meat from the market stall of a grateful vendor who thanks the swordsman afterwards.

However, Harrison Ford, along with most of the crew, was suffering from dysentery. Ford then suggested they "just shoot the sucker", and Steven Spielberg agreed, resulting in the biggest laugh of the film and one of its most memorable sequences.
Longer article/story: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/raiders-lost-ark-producer-reveals-backstory-films-famous-gun-sword-scene-producer-oscar-roundta
Fat Bib Fortuna
And he hilariously did the voice over in his best cheeseball voice for the original ESB trailer which has a ton of stuff not in the final version of the film.

double aught
AG
Whoa. Never knew this. Awesome!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow. News to me also.
redline248
AG
Was that a legit trailer for the movie? How much of that would be considered spoilers..haha
Fat Bib Fortuna
It was the very first trailer for ESB released in 1979. I think they wanted one of the actors to do the trailer, and wanted Mark Hamill but he had already left London, so they turned to Harrison Ford. An alternate version of the Luke/Leia kiss is prominent, as is C3PO ripping the warning off the door at the Hoth base that there were multiple Wampas behind it. Eventually stormtroopers opened that door and got eaten.

I think you see Wedge's X-Wing in the Hoth base shot and there's another shot of C3PO looking way up at something that doesn't look familiar to me.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

It was the very first trailer for ESB released in 1979.
Indeed. They re-released Star Wars the summer of 79, I think in early August. I had a scheme where I was going to re-watch the movie several times that day (a scheme that the parental units put the kibash on after only one viewing), and was sitting there listening to the music and watching the credits roll when, at the end of the credits, the screen did not go black but instead that preview started up. I had known the movie was being made, but had no idea there was going to be a preview AFTER the movie.

I honestly had no idea that was Ford doing the voice-over for that trailer. Listening to that just now, I recall a scene in Blade Runner when he did something goofy with his voice while he was tracking the first female replicant, the snake dancer gal, and his voice in the trailer sounds a bit like what he did in BR.
YouBet
AG
"It's an epic of romance!"

And then they proceed to show every shot of Han and Leia fighting.

Lol.
Mr. White
MuckRaker96 said:

And he hilariously did the voice over in his best cheeseball voice for the original ESB trailer which has a ton of stuff not in the final version of the film.

If I had seen this in a theater without warning, they would have had to call an ambulance to revive me.
G Martin 87
AG
My wife has called me "Indy" since the night we met at a DG/Fowler mixer. Have no doubt which one I voted for.
Fat Bib Fortuna
In the conclusion that was basically foretold the day this whole thing started, the Empire Strikes Back is the winner of the Best 1980s Movie TexAgs Social Distancing I Can't Believe This Is Still Going On Wow There Sure are a Lot of Whiners on Here Contest

Empire 66% of the vote, Raiders 34%. It's the only round where Empire scored less than 80%.

Here's a few gifs to celebrate. I look forward to whomever does something like this next, so I can spend my days saying how stupid your brackets are, preemptively declaring winners that then lose, and griping about my favorites not winning for days afterwards.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

It's the only round where Empire scored less than 80%.
That's because Raiders is an equally legitimate movie. My top 5 is ... Empire, Raiders, Last Crusade, Alien, and Star Wars.
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

In the conclusion that was basically foretold the day this whole thing started, the Empire Strikes Back is the winner of the Best 1980s Movie TexAgs Social Distancing I Can't Believe This Is Still Going On Wow There Sure are a Lot of Whiners on Here Contest

Empire 66% of the vote, Raiders 34%. It's the only round where Empire scored less than 80%.

Here's a few gifs to celebrate. I look forward to whomever does something like this next, so I can spend my days saying how stupid your brackets are, preemptively declaring winners that then lose, and griping about my favorites not winning for days afterwards.

Muckraker,
I would like to thank you for doing this and tell you how resentful I am of you yet in tune with you because of Big Trouble in Little China.

The rest of you can go straight to hell. Have a good Tuesday everyone!
bluefire579
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

It's the only round where Empire scored less than 80%.
That's because Raiders is an equally legitimate movie. My top 5 is ... Empire, Raiders, Last Crusade, Alien, and Star Wars.
Exactly. I voted Empire, but I went back and forth a lot. I don't regret my vote, but I wouldn't have regretted voting the other way either. Both are just so ****ing good.
Claude!
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've spoken enough on how BTTF is a perfect movie and should've been in the final.

But...

The right movie won. ESB is equally perfect. The best Star Wars movie, and the best sequel of all time.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've spoken enough on how BTTF is a perfect movie and should've been in the final.

But...

The right movie won. ESB is equally perfect. The best Star Wars movie, and the best sequel of all time.

I'm surprised you're putting ESB over ROTK.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ROTK is not a sequel. I consider LOTR a single movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.