early 90s still dominates rock radio

7,259 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 62strat
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What service do you use to create playlists?
Philo B 93
I'm old school. I use the iTunes music app (not the iTunes music subscription) and songs burned from cds a few decades ago. If I don't have it, I drop the $1.29 on iTunes.

I own around 15,000 songs after scrubbing out what I consider to be trash. I buy maybe 40 or 50 songs a year to feed the beast.
bigcat22
AG
mazag08 said:

Green Day is playing the NHL all star game.

Have to admit, it's 10x better than whatever pop star plays the Super Bowl.

Green Day still sucks though.

For me, I'm a bit torn on Green Day. I like pre- American Idiot Green Day, but not American Idiot to present Green Day.
PatAg
AG
I totally get not liking any of the bands listed, but if you go out to any packed bar and play the hits od these bands, you will find most people liked it and still do.
Gigem314
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Collective Soul and Green Day are both great bands with a lot of great songs IMO. They kind if bleed into Matchbox Twenty, Hooty and the Blowfish, and Everclear. I haven't heard any of these bands on modern rock in a while. But the playlist I'm building as a result of this thread is growing.
Matchbox Twenty puts on a GREAT live show. Rob Thomas is such a dynamic front-man. They are one of the late 90's early 2000's bands that get better with age and will stand the test of time.

I saw Hootie when they came to The Woodlands last year and they were great too.

Though, again, by today's mainstream standards...neither of those bands fit in anymore.

Hootie would fall under country...even without Darius Rucker's country career. Sister Hazel is another one that falls under country...even though they haven't changed their sound at all.
Pahdz
They really were a hit machine, and like you said most of the songs still hold water.
KidDoc
AG
I've been in the rocker show hole for a while until recently. What changed for me was making friends at the 80s in the Sand event then listening to bands and podcast per their recs. This is coming from a mid 40s white dude whose top three are Rush, Iron Maiden, and Van Halen.

First check out the Growin up Rock podcast. Specifically their top 10 new albums off the year.

Now for some new bands putting out good stuff. This is mostly melodic hard rock and metal NO SCREAMO which I hate.

Eclipse- my absolute favorite new band. They are amazing
Greta Van Fleet- amazing late 70s vibe
Caleb Johnson and the Ramblin Saints- southern blues rock
Edge of Forever- amazing band out of Italy
Pretty Maids- they start in very late 80s but have great new stuff. Lead singer just got diagnosed with lung cancer.
The Struts- Queen vibe
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
just throwing out a couple more.... they are out there but you gotta find them.

Dirty Honey - new band out of LA, old sound some 70s influence for sure, younger say GnR+Crue+Tesla but for me it's a little older sound than that era exactly. maybe some early Aerosmith+Zep+some gritty roadhouse blues

Wolf Jaw (was formerly Bad Flowers but changed name cuz a band called Badflowers was too close to the same) - a really heavy sounding UK 3 piece band, and a real old school dirty (not pretty looking) hard rock band, sounds like Black Sabbath crossed with Queens of the StoneAge maybe.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I'm old school. I use the iTunes music app (not the iTunes music subscription) and songs burned from cds a few decades ago. If I don't have it, I drop the $1.29 on iTunes.

I own around 15,000 songs after scrubbing out what I consider to be trash. I buy maybe 40 or 50 songs a year to feed the beast.

I have about the same....FYI I just converted to Apple Music fully although I maintain my own library still saved in the background. I did it for the entire family on a share plan. It's actually awesome. But make sure you do back up your own catalogue so if you ever lose anything or unsubscribe from Apple Music you won't lose what you had before.

Also... save yourself A LOT of money if you insist on buying. Use www.goldenmp3.ru

Russian site but it $0.10 per song instead of $1.29. I used it for many many years. It works. the interface is clunky but you can find 90% of what you want to buy on there. Buy it download and then drag and drop into your itunes app and you're golden. And then back it up. they maintain your buy list forever though so you can also recover anything bought there. You gotta prepay like a spending balance - paying the $30 option gives you a $10 bonus - then you deplete from that balance. That amount usually lasted me for many months or a year. $40 is 400 songs that way. Don't have to give credit card use Paypal - I've never had any payment issue or account issue.

fig96
AG
Saw The Struts open for Foo Fighters a year or two back and they were really good. And to back up your Queen vibe observation, their lead singer came out during the Foo set and nailed the Freddie part of Under Pressure with Taylor Hawkins.
KidDoc
AG
Link for my favorite Eclipse song:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Apache
AG
Quote:

many of the records of mainstream rock charting is from post 2000 bands. Three days grace with most #1s, disturbed with most consecutive #1, breaking Benjamin with longest charting song, etc.

I don't think you can read too much into this at all. They happen to be charting in an area with extremely limited competition.
Philo B 93
Apache said:

Quote:

many of the records of mainstream rock charting is from post 2000 bands. Three days grace with most #1s, disturbed with most consecutive #1, breaking Benjamin with longest charting song, etc.

I don't think you can read too much into this at all. They happen to be charting in an area with extremely limited competition.

Agreed. At some point between 1955 and 2019, the charts became meaningless. The question is do these bands have any great songs that will stand the test of time? Back to the original subject, it seems that the early 90s bands have proven that they do.
Geriatric Punk
AG
KidDoc said:

Link for my favorite Eclipse song:

So, a more rock version of My Chemical Romance?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
mazag08
AG
Those of you looking for modern bands that riff really well and don't mindlessly blend in with generic cock rock..

Rivals Sons.

The Parlor Mob

And those of you that haven't heard any of Thrice's recent offerings..

62strat
AG
As much as they are still kind of tied to the metal world, Ghost is pretty much a kickass riffin and anthemic chorus writing modern rock band.

Jasomania
AG
Quote:

There definitely needs to be a revival of rock music. But the music market is so saturated, I don't know that anything like that can happen. It's almost impossible to break through the noise unless corporate decides to make it happen.

It's not some conspiracy of the record labels deciding what people listen to. Rap is the most popular genre or music and it's what the kids are into these days. When some of y'all grew up classic rock was the most popular genre out there the same way when I grew up punk rock / numetal was the dominate genre. It's not wrong, its just different, and each generation is going to do their own thing. There are kids right now that will some day be in their 40's talking about Drake and Future the way some of us talk about Led Zeppelin or Blink 182. What this really means is that for the first time Rock is actually the cool and underground thing you thought it was growing up when it was actually the most popular music in the country.

Rock is 100% in a decline in popularity but there are hundreds of new bands doing great work right now and its literally never been easier to find them. Spotify is something I would have killed for as a teenager who was saving up all the money I made to drop on 20 dollars on a CD that if I was lucky had a radio single and if not I was going off blind faith when I bought it. Finding new music now takes so very little effort. Spotify straight up makes a weekly playlist of new music tailored to what you listen to with Release Radar and Discover Weekly. I grew up in the late 90's / early 00's so Punk Rock is encoded in my DNA and I am finding new bands every single week. These new punk bands aren't blowing up on the radio but they are out there putting out great music and are literally, at any moment, just a couple clicks away. If you feel like "they aren't making it like they used to" or that "there's no good new music out" it's because you aren't putting in any effort to find them, full stop.
mazag08
AG
Quote:

Rock is 100% in a decline in popularity but there are hundreds of new bands doing great work right now and its literally never been easier to find them. Spotify is something I would have killed for as a teenager who was saving up all the money I made to drop on 20 dollars on a CD that if I was lucky had a radio single and if not I was going off blind faith when I bought it. Finding new music now takes so very little effort

So much this.

But people are more lazy now than ever before. And they have extremely closed minds.
Cibalo
I had a similar thought the other day. I have realized that the point when you know you are old is when you give up listening or trying to find new music and just go back to the era you enjoyed the most. I listen to a lot of Lithium since that music was the soundtrack to my high school and college years.

One observation I made was there were are lot of female lead band back then compared to now; Hole, Garbage, Verruca Salt, 4 non blonds, No Doubt, Cranberries, etc. that had a lot of hits.

I also feel that if bands like REM or Smashing Pumpkins came out now they would be largely unknown. The level of lyric writing has declined so much in the last 30 years as things get pushed to general cords/beats and lyrics for the lowest common denominator.

Around the end of college I started moving towards metal as I found that to have a more unique sound, complex lyrics, and full of raw energy. Some of it can be generic but there are lot more out there that do their own thing and are not trying to suck up to corporate radio.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think it's actually HARDER to find new bands today because there is too much available and most of it is crap. Any idiot with a computer can release music these days.Hell, you could probably record a full album on your iPhone. I don't have time to sift through all the nonsense to find the good bands, assuming there are some out there.
mazag08
AG
Cibalo said:

I had a similar thought the other day. I have realized that the point when you know you are old is when you give up listening or trying to find new music and just go back to the era you enjoyed the most. I listen to a lot of Lithium since that music was the soundtrack to my high school and college years.

One observation I made was there were are lot of female lead band back then compared to now; Hole, Garbage, Verruca Salt, 4 non blonds, No Doubt, Cranberries, etc. that had a lot of hits.

I also feel that if bands like REM or Smashing Pumpkins came out now they would be largely unknown. The level of lyric writing has declined so much in the last 30 years as things get pushed to general cords/beats and lyrics for the lowest common denominator.

Around the end of college I started moving towards metal as I found that to have a more unique sound, complex lyrics, and full of raw energy. Some of it can be generic but there are lot more out there that do their own thing and are not trying to suck up to corporate radio.
There are TONS of female lead bands now. I think that category actually blew up more. You don't hear it with generic rock as much anymore because most of the females front indie rock (Echosmith, Mistwives, ChVrchs, Florence) bands or metal bands (Nightwish / Epica / Lacuna Coil / Amaranthe). There's even a ton that are in hybrid folk/indie bands (Pretty Reckless / Honey Honey) as well as on the electronic side (Sleigh Bells, Phantogram, NERO). Most of these categories were so small or non-existent in the 80's and 90's that you saw all female bands practically exist in the same sphere. Notable female led bands in the modern era..

Evanescence
Within Temptation
In This Moment
Flyleaf
Amaranthe
Nightwish
Lacuna Coil
Halestorm
Paramore
Sleigh Bells
Dead Sara
Eisley
62strat
AG
Cibalo said:

I've discovered tons of bands way after the early 90s that are high on my list of favorites and have lots of rotation in my listening. Even in my 30s, I have continued to come across stuff that really grabs a hold of me.
Apache
AG
There's a band called Dorothy that opened for Greta Van Fleet last year.... pretty solid female vocalist for a rock band.
Cibalo
I'm sure you can find lists of all kinds of bands lead by female singers today, but as far as the music that was played on the raido in the 90's by female leads that were mainstream hits there are less now. I didn't even get to Ace of Base, C&C Music Factory, and Technotronic as I wouldn't consider them to be 90's rock.

Evanescence was formed in 95 and their biggest hit was in 2003. they are probably the only band on your list I would say reached the same popularity as the bands I mentioned.

And if you are going to list metal bands with female leads they you have to start with Arch Enemy, and put Otep on the list.

AustinAg2K
I actually think our entertainment is at a very similar place to where it was in the late 80s/earlier 90s just before Nirvana flipped everything on its head. There are of course alternative bands out there. There always have been, but in the 90s alternative became the mainstream. It stayed that way for a long time, until pop was actually the alternative. Not just in music, but in all forms of entertainment. About the same time as the grunge movement, Pulp Fiction came out and rocked the movie world. All of a sudden everyone was going to see indie movies at the Angelica. I really think our entertainment has gotten back into a state where the mainstream has very little originality. Something in the next 3-5 years is going to come along and blow the whole thing up again. It may not be rock music. It could be some form of electronica, or some new form we've never heard before. It could be started from the movies (super hero movies will eventually lose their appeal) but I strongly believe we are ready for a major culture shift.
mazag08
AG
The electro swinging 20's?
62strat
AG
Cibalo said:

I'm sure you can find lists of all kinds of bands lead by female singers today, but as far as the music that was played on the raido in the 90's by female leads that were mainstream hits there are less now. I didn't even get to Ace of Base, C&C Music Factory, and Technotronic as I wouldn't consider them to be 90's rock.

Evanescence was formed in 95 and their biggest hit was in 2003. they are probably the only band on your list I would say reached the same popularity as the bands I mentioned.

And if you are going to list metal bands with female leads they you have to start with Arch Enemy, and put Otep on the list.

arch enemy was a supergroup with male singer in the beginning. Easy to swap in a good looking female(s) and keep or boost popularity when you're dealing with death growl vocals. (Meaning you cant even tell it's a chick)

Don't forget about jinjer, they are pretty hot right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.