early 90s still dominates rock radio

7,288 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 62strat
PneumAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mazag08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I feel like System of a Down often gets overlooked, probably because they were only around for about 10 years, but man, they were HUGE for kids of my generation. I basically had Mezmerize on my car stereo for my entire senior year of high school.

Kind of sucks they've mostly fallen off the face of the Earth. Really hoping they get back together and put out another album.
The early 2000's were full of "nu metal" bands that kids of that era had the same connection as kids in the grunge era to grunge.

Disturbed, Mudvayne, Seether, Nonpoint, POD, Linkin Park, Korn, SOAD, Godsmack, Drowning Pool, Sevendust, Chevelle, Papa Roach, 3 Days Grace, Hoobastank..etc

These bands were huge in the early 2000's. But angsty rock doesn't last long, just like grunge only lasted long enough to inspire most of these bands. The ones that have made it long term have either commercialized their sound or matured their sound, just as their fans grow up and mature their preferences.

Dude, that's like the who's who list of cool bands from when I was in middle school and high school. 2000-2006. Add in Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, and a few others.

I might put SOAD in a category of its own, and Korn had already been around for a while. But the entire roster of the 30-40 popular nu-metal bands of the 2000s can basically be traced back to Deftones, Tool, and Rage Against the Machine.

Every single one of those nu-metal bands would tell you they had a hard on for one of those three bands. Maybe Nirvana and Soundgarden to a lesser extent.

There definitely needs to be a revival of rock music. But the music market is so saturated, I don't know that anything like that can happen. It's almost impossible to break through the noise unless corporate decides to make it happen.
TXAG 05
AG
bigcat22 said:

As someone who graduated high school in 05, most of the rock we listened to was hardly ever played on the radio. I'm curious how history will judge some of the bands I loved, bands like Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World, etc.

Those bands sucked then and suck now
62strat
AG
AIC, Nirvana, PJ, SG, TOTD, Smashing Pumpkins, Pantera, Tool, Rage, Korn, STP, Green Day, Weezer, Radiohead, Sublime, Goo Goo Dolls, MB20, 3EB... and the omnipresent world domination era of Metallica.

Oh, and the musical Siskel and Ebert of my generation, Beavis and Butthead.

RIP my teenage years...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
88 bro
superunknown
AG
I love this thread and have some perspective on it since i was very much involved in rock radio in the 90s and 00s but one band i havent seen mentioned in 3 pages had the most radio spins across all formats (mostly active rock/AOR, alternative and mainstream rock) ...if you're thinking of Collective Soul, pat yourself on the back.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

bigcat22 said:

As someone who graduated high school in 05, most of the rock we listened to was hardly ever played on the radio. I'm curious how history will judge some of the bands I loved, bands like Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World, etc.

Blink really came on when I was a senior in HS back in 1997, They were the sheet because what 18 year old doesn't like high energy songs about urinating on yourself or basic immaturity? After a couple of years of "growing up" the love for the band fades because, well, you don't really relate to fart jokes as much anymore. Cheshire through Enema were fun and I will always enjoy them for where they take me in my memory.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
King moto moto
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Queens of the Stone Age needs to be on the list for best bands of the last 20 years.

Hybrid Foo Fighters! Approve.
Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
Philo B 93
Geriatric Punk said:

Cstrickland05 said:

bigcat22 said:

Blink really came on when I was a senior in HS back in 1997, They were the sheet because what 18 year old doesn't like high energy songs about urinating on yourself or basic immaturity? After a couple of years of "growing up" the love for the band fades because, well, you don't really relate to fart jokes as much anymore. Cheshire through Enema were fun and I will always enjoy them for where they take me in my memory.

I call that the "Warrant" factor. Those bands are designed for a short lifespan, unless they age their music appropriately. I call that the "Greenday" factor.
cc10106
Moto Moto said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Queens of the Stone Age needs to be on the list for best bands of the last 20 years.

QOTSA is the best American band of the last 20 years, and I'm not sure it's close.
Bruce Almighty
AG
cc10106 said:

Moto Moto said:

Bruce Almighty said:

QOTSA is the best American band of the last 20 years, and I'm not sure it's close.
I think I would put them second behind The White Stripes
62strat
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Cstrickland05 said:

bigcat22 said:

I didn't care for the 80s feel good rock lyrics, so I had zero attraction to blink. Honestly I don't know how any young teen that got sucked into grunge could be of the happy go lucky, immature mind set lol.

I connected more to the Pantera, AIC, SG, and Type O lyrical themes in my teens lol. Really anything with actual lyrical substance, like 90s Metallica, and a lot of the metal of the 90s.

So no, not every 18 year old wanted songs about urinating on himself. In the 2000s I remember seeing live videos of them with their stage banter and just cringing.
62strat
AG
superunknown said:

I love this thread and have some perspective on it since i was very much involved in rock radio in the 90s and 00s but one band i havent seen mentioned in 3 pages had the most radio spins across all formats (mostly active rock/AOR, alternative and mainstream rock) ...if you're thinking of Collective Soul, pat yourself on the back.
I preach their radio power to many people. I've seen them several times, as recently as a few months ago, and you hear songs you've heard on the radio for a solid 90-100 minutes.
fig96
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

cc10106 said:

Moto Moto said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I think I would put them second behind The White Stripes
Or behind Foo Fighters.
Geriatric Punk
AG
62strat said:

Geriatric Punk said:

Cstrickland05 said:

bigcat22 said:

I didn't care for the 80s feel good rock lyrics, so I had zero attraction to blink. Honestly I don't know how any young teen that got sucked into grunge could be of the happy go lucky, immature mind set lol.

I connected more to the Pantera, AIC, SG, and Type O lyrical themes in my teens lol. Really anything with actual lyrical substance, like 90s Metallica, and a lot of the metal of the 90s.

So no, not every 18 year old wanted songs about urinating on himself. In the 2000s I remember seeing live videos of them with their stage banter and just cringing.

Funny, one of my best friends was big on metal back then. I dug some of it, especially Panterra since that was the home town band. But, it I was pretty laid back and happy for the most part. Rocking metal was good in short bursts when you needed to get pissed and break stuff, which was a rare occasion for me. My buddy, though, was always angry back then. He still is. Still listens to mostly metal. Just sayin'.
double aught
AG
62strat said:

superunknown said:

I preach their radio power to many people. I've seen them several times, as recently as a few months ago, and you hear songs you've heard on the radio for a solid 90-100 minutes.
I went to Rockfest at TMS back in '97. Some of you were probably there. I was much more excited about pretty much every other act and was indifferent about Collective Soul. But they really impressed me. Very good show.
Geriatric Punk
AG
double aught said:

62strat said:

superunknown said:

I went to Rockfest at TMS back in '97. Some of you were probably there. I was much more excited about pretty much every other act and was indifferent about Collective Soul. But they really impressed me. Very good show.
I lived about 10 miles away. I remember it took over 2 hours to get there. Ridiculous. Sugar Ray on the small stage was great. That was right when they started to transition from being a great band to being full on pop. No offense to pop fans. Just a bummer because Lemonade and Brownies was a great album.
62strat
AG
Quote:

My buddy, though, was always angry back then. He still is. Still listens to mostly metal. Just sayin'.
I never left the metal world no doubt. I have been to dozens of metal shows. But I'm a content 40 year old livin the burbs with two kids lol.

Gigem314
AG
62strat said:

Gigem314 said:

Mainstream rock lost its identity post-2000.

These days, modern bands have been pushed into smaller niche rock categories or thrown into pop or country because there was no place for them in the mainstream.
yet many of the records of mainstream rock charting is from post 2000 bands. Three days grace with most #1s, disturbed with most consecutive #1, breaking Benjamin with longest charting song, etc.
True, and I'm certainly not saying that modern rock hasn't had success.

But there's just not as much of an identity as decades prior to 2000. There wasn't as much of a distinct sound or movement. It's not as culture-centric either.
Woomfy
AG
Am I the only one who hates hearing Enter Sandman over and over and over on the radio?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Woomfy said:

Am I the only one who hates hearing Enter Sandman over and over and over on the radio?

As with most bands, the most played song is rarely among their best.
Forum Troll
AG
This thread is depressing.
mazag08
AG
Gigem314 said:

62strat said:

Gigem314 said:

Mainstream rock lost its identity post-2000.

These days, modern bands have been pushed into smaller niche rock categories or thrown into pop or country because there was no place for them in the mainstream.
yet many of the records of mainstream rock charting is from post 2000 bands. Three days grace with most #1s, disturbed with most consecutive #1, breaking Benjamin with longest charting song, etc.
True, and I'm certainly not saying that modern rock hasn't had success.

But there's just not as much of an identity as decades prior to 2000. There wasn't as much of a distinct sound or movement. It's not as culture-centric either.

The lack of identity is because there's only so much you can do with rock that hasn't been done, and done really well.

That's why I'm such a big fan of thrice. They started as a punk band and have dabbled in pretty much every flavor of hard rock over their career. No two albums are anywhere close to the same and all are enjoyable in their own way. I love Tool, but there's no doubt they stick to a specific sound and vibe. I love a lot of 80's stuff, but my god it bores the hell out of me if I don't give it a good long break every once in a while.

Rock today sucks because the formula that consistently ends with the band making money is generic cock rock along the lines of what Seether and Shinedown we're doing 15 years ago.

That's also why I mostly stick to metal when I listen to rock. You still get creativity and new movements, and the classic stuff is so much more interesting than bland chugga chugga with raspy vocals. Give me Iced Earth any day over anyone from the grunge era.
Philo B 93
Some bands from the 80's are doing stadium tours. Metallica, Guns n Roses, U2, Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Poison. I'd rather see a band at house of blues over NRG, but somehow these geriatric rockers can sell out NRG.

In 20 years will any of the early 2000s bands be selling out stadiums? Or has the music and fan landscape changed too much?
62strat
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Some bands from the 80's are doing stadium tours. Metallica, Guns n Roses, U2, Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Poison. I'd rather see a band at house of blues over NRG, but somehow these geriatric rockers can sell out NRG.

In 20 years will any of the early 2000s bands be selling out stadiums? Or has the music and fan landscape changed too much?
Maybe not stadiums, but arenas for sure. Muse do arenas. Slipknot just did an arena tour as well. Bands like godsmack or disturbed can carry that weight too, especially if you throw in another big one on the tour like BB, three days grace, etc.

Actually, I think rammstein is doing an nfl stadium tour this year in America. That was surprising to me.

Metallica doesn't do stadiums on their own (though maybe they could). Only 3 times and it was with gnr, them linkin park/limp bizkit, then ax7/volbeat
bigcat22
AG
Fall out boy is currently on a stadium tour, but it helps when the other acts are Green Day and Weezer
TXAG 05
AG
62strat said:

Philo B 93 said:

Maybe not stadiums, but arenas for sure. Muse do arenas. Slipknot just did an arena tour as well. Bands like godsmack or disturbed can carry that weight too, especially if you throw in another big one on the tour like BB, three days grace, etc.

Actually, I think rammstein is doing an nfl stadium tour this year in America. That was surprising to me.

Metallica doesn't do stadiums on their own (though maybe they could). Only 3 times and it was with gnr, them linkin park/limp bizkit, then ax7/volbeat

Agreed that Metallica easily could. I was at their last show at NRG, it was completely full and no one was there for Avenged or Volbeat.
62strat
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

62strat said:

Philo B 93 said:

Agreed that Metallica easily could. I was at their last show at NRG, it was completely full and no one was there for Avenged or Volbeat.

It had also been nearly 10 years since they toured last. If they played a stadium tour every 2-3 years like their normal tour circuit, who knows. Not doubting them, they are my favorite band of all time. But they simply don't do it for normal cycles. They do basketball arenas.
TXAGBQ76
AG
This "old" listens to nothing but satellite radio! Now I do listen to the music of all time "oldies like" Classic Rock, Classic Vinyl, Deep Tracks, Red, White and Booze, Bluesville, Soul Town, Watercolors, Classic Live, The Message. Oddly they never play any of that "dominating" 90's music!
Apache
AG
The Darkness still plays regular rock n roll.
mazag08
AG
Green Day is playing the NHL all star game.

Have to admit, it's 10x better than whatever pop star plays the Super Bowl.

Green Day still sucks though.
Bunk Moreland
mazag08 said:

Id rather watch Shakira's ass than listen to green day.
mazag08
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

mazag08 said:

Id rather watch Shakira's ass than listen to green day.

Good point
superunknown
AG
They cranked out an album every 18 months for a while and every damn one of them went 3-5 deep on radio singles. And to me their music holds up. Live was on that level for a few years but i hear them now and i just change the station.
tremble
AG
I really enjoyed the period where Audioslave and Velvet Revolver were kicking it.
Philo B 93
Collective Soul and Green Day are both great bands with a lot of great songs IMO. They kind if bleed into Matchbox Twenty, Hooty and the Blowfish, and Everclear. I haven't heard any of these bands on modern rock in a while. But the playlist I'm building as a result of this thread is growing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.