Charlies Angel's Reboot - Why is this a good idea?

12,481 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nai06
TresPuertas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be the first one to tell you that I lurk and occasionally post on the politics board and I posted this here because I think its the place that will get the best discussion.

Anyhow, why is this movie getting made? It feels like there wasn't a need or desire for this at all and the casting of Kristen Stewart, is.... well, curious.

The original CA was based on extreme femininity and they used it to their advantage. I know this isn't out yet, but is there any way this does anything but bomb? Again, I'm not 100% sure that anyone wanted to see this

Thoughts?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It will bomb.
UnderoosAg
AG
If they aren't using trans men then its sexist.
TresPuertas
AG
UnderoosAg said:

This is kind of my question. I'm 1000% sure this thing is going to absolutely bomb.

I guess my curiosity stems from the following question:

Is hollywood aware that not many people want to see this woke-ertainment and willing to lose money to make their political points.

or.....

are they stupid and actually think people want this?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Jim01
AG
Why is this "woke-ertainment" as you say? Charlie's Angels has always been female driven.
TresPuertas
AG
Jim01 said:

Why is this "woke-ertainment" as you say? Charlie's Angels has always been female driven.

Have you seen who they cast as the "lead"

Its a,... um..... butch lesbian. I really don't have any problem with that but it kind of goes against what Charlies Angels was really based on. Using femininity as an advantage against men.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
CapCityAg89
AG
Absolutely a thread I would expect from a politics board guy. The movie won't bomb because "people don't want to see 'woke' movies" - the movie will bomb if it's not entertaining; it will be a surprise hit if it IS entertaining. That's it. And yes, it can absolutely be entertaining with a "butch" female lead. No doubts.
CapCityAg89
AG
Quote:

I really don't have any problem with that
cough, cough bull ****, cough, cough.
TCTTS
AG
TresPuertas said:

Jim01 said:

Its a,... um..... butch lesbian. I really don't have any problem with that but it kind of goes against what Charlies Angels was really based on. Using femininity as an advantage against men.

I don't think you know what a "butch lesbian" is.
TCTTS
AG
TresPuertas said:

UnderoosAg said:

This is kind of my question. I'm 1000% sure this thing is going to absolutely bomb.

Is hollywood aware that not many people want to see this woke-ertainment and willing to lose money to make their political points.

or.....

A) Hollywood is run by executives trying desperately to keep their jobs.

B) Literally every movie is a massive gamble.

If a certain studio's slate doesn't perform well over X number of years, those execs are removed and a new team is brought in. This happens over and over and over again in Hollywood. So the best chance a team of execs has at keeping their jobs is to make as many "safe bets" as humanly possible. This is where IP - intellectual property - comes in. If a property has name brand recognition, or an already built-in audience, execs are more willing to bet on it because they know at least a certain audience will likely show up. This is how and why we get so many sh*tty reboots like this latest iteration of Charlie's Angels. Some of these IP bets are extremely smart. Some of them are extremely dumb. CA certainly seems to fall in the latter category.

It never ceases to amaze me that people - especially those who frequent the politics board - think Hollywood's business model is somehow based solely on trying to be "woke." I promise you, the people running the show are nothing more than money-hungry capitalists trying desperately to keep their jobs. That doesn't mean they're not "Libs" and that doesn't mean that diversity or "wokeness" or whatever isn't an aim from time to time.

But self-preservation, above-all, is what drives the decision-making in this town.

Not idealism.
TresPuertas
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Quote:

I really don't have any problem with that
cough, cough bull ****, cough, cough.

Sorry. Maybe I should rephrase. I really don't give a ****

Claude!
Will we still at least get the comedy stylings of Bernie Mac as Bosley?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Whenever I see something from the politics board, I think of something that Frasier Crane once said to Cliff Clavin on Cheers.

"What color is the sky in your world, Cliff?"
TresPuertas
AG
TCTTS said:

TresPuertas said:

UnderoosAg said:

or.....

If a certain studio's slate doesn't perform well over X number of years, those execs are removed and a new team is brought in. This happens over and over and over again in Hollywood. So the best chance a team of execs has at keeping their jobs is to make as many "safe bets" as humanly possible. This is where IP - intellectual property - comes in. If a property has name brand recognition, or an already built-in audience, execs are more willing to bet on it because they know at least a certain audience will likely show up. This is how and why we get so many sh*tty reboots like this latest iteration of Charlie's Angels. Some of these IP bets are extremely smart. Some of them are extremely dumb. CA certainly seems to fall in the later category.

It never ceases to amaze me that people - especially those who frequent the politics board - think Hollywood's business model is somehow based solely on trying to be "woke." I promise you, the people running the show are nothing more than money-hungry capitalists trying desperately to keep their jobs. That doesn't mean they're not "Libs" and that doesn't mean that diversity or "wokeness" or whatever isn't an aim from time to time.

But self-preservation, above-all, is what drives this town.

Not idealism.
I appreciate this response. This is pretty much why I brought this particular question here because I was trying to understand the degree in Hollywood that Politics and Capitalism intersect. I don't live there, and I know you do, so I was hoping to get to clarity on the thought processes between the creatives and the studios. I'm not an action movie guy, but in my mind, when you speak to target demographic of this type of movie, they likely aren't going to be to receptive of Kristen Stewart, and I don't see how studios don't see this? Its just kind of perplexing.

If Elizabeth Banks wanted to go that direction I personally think the place to go would have been Ruby Rose because she has some real cross over appeal, particular to female audiences.

I just can't get over Kristen Stewart. Shes universally thought of as a bad actress, isn't in any sort of demand and they have her anchoring a pretty big budget movie. The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. Hence the thought that this may be political. Its almost like someone owed her a favor.

I promise I'm not trying to be overly conservative on this issue, regardless of what you guys think. Im just trying to understand this decision and what led to it.
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough. Though, I think you're underestimating Stewart's appeal. I'm not a particularly a big fan of hers either, but critics absolutely love her. I don't know where you're getting this "universally thought of as a bad actress" thing. Again, *I* don't think she's that great, but she does tons of indie films, works with tons of name/indie directors, and still has huge name recognition from Twilight. I look at this CA cast and she's the one anchoring/legitimizing it in my mind.
Tobias Funke
AG
Quote:

I'll be the first one to tell you that I lurk and occasionally post on the politics board

My brain read this as "don't bother with the rest of this post or thread". I regrettably ignored.
birdman
Didn't they just make a reboot of Charlie's Angels? It was stupid too.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, yes... in 2000. Followed by a sequel in 2003. So... 16 years ago.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can we just talk about how hot Cameron Diaz used to be?
TCTTS
AG
There's Something About Mary = Prime Cameron Diaz

I fell in love with her in that movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Her entrance in The Mask might well have been my sexual awakening.
TCTTS
AG
Forgot about that one.
BenFiasco14
AG
Wait.. since when is Kristen Stewart a lesbian?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
expresswrittenconsent
TresPuertas said:

TCTTS said:

TresPuertas said:

UnderoosAg said:

or.....

If a certain studio's slate doesn't perform well over X number of years, those execs are removed and a new team is brought in. This happens over and over and over again in Hollywood. So the best chance a team of execs has at keeping their jobs is to make as many "safe bets" as humanly possible. This is where IP - intellectual property - comes in. If a property has name brand recognition, or an already built-in audience, execs are more willing to bet on it because they know at least a certain audience will likely show up. This is how and why we get so many sh*tty reboots like this latest iteration of Charlie's Angels. Some of these IP bets are extremely smart. Some of them are extremely dumb. CA certainly seems to fall in the later category.

Not idealism.
I appreciate this response. This is pretty much why I brought this particular question here because I was trying to understand the degree in Hollywood that Politics and Capitalism intersect. I don't live there, and I know you do, so I was hoping to get to clarity on the thought processes between the creatives and the studios. I'm not an action movie guy, but in my mind, when you speak to target demographic of this type of movie, they likely aren't going to be to receptive of Kristen Stewart, and I don't see how studios don't see this? Its just kind of perplexing.

If Elizabeth Banks wanted to go that direction I personally think the place to go would have been Ruby Rose because she has some real cross over appeal, particular to female audiences.

I just can't get over Kristen Stewart. Shes universally thought of as a bad actress, isn't in any sort of demand and they have her anchoring a pretty big budget movie. The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. Hence the thought that this may be political. Its almost like someone owed her a favor.

I promise I'm not trying to be overly conservative on this issue, regardless of what you guys think. Im just trying to understand this decision and what led to it.

It mainly seems like you really hate Kristen Stewart. But it kind of comes across like you strongly dislike all women who dont want to have sex with men and that you cant comprehend why anyone would think otherwise.

It's a crappy 70s tv show. What legacy is being harmed if this movie is pure crap? Same as the recent CHiPs movie and the less recent Dukes of Hazzard movie.
TCTTS
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Can we just talk about how hot Cameron Diaz used to be?
Never thought she was that hot.

And if the last name is Diaz, I want some smokin hot brown chica. Not her.

Urban Ag
AG
Kristen Stewart is what I love about women.

And I say that as a very happily married man and father.

I hate that so many women have been brainwashed by a shallow culture to believe they have to be perfect like a Victoria Secret model or an Instagram hooker.

She has so much appeal in her eyes and the way she holds her mouth. It's sexy.

My point is every woman is unique in their own way and sex appeal and beauty comes in many shapes and forms. She never struck me as butch, not even close. So many Hollywood women are not perfect 10's by modeling standards, same for singers, and god bless them for it.
TresPuertas
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

TresPuertas said:

TCTTS said:

TresPuertas said:

UnderoosAg said:

or.....

Not idealism.

It mainly seems like you really hate Kristen Stewart. But it kind of comes across like you strongly dislike all women who dont want to have sex with men and that you cant comprehend why anyone would think otherwise.

It's a crappy 70s tv show. What legacy is being harmed if this movie is pure crap? Same as the recent CHiPs movie and the less recent Dukes of Hazzard movie.

I'll say it again. It has nothing to do with any sort of hatred to gay women. I literally don't care what people do in their personal lives. At all.

What I started this thread about is the thought processes behind studio execs who green light these projects. Understanding there is a target demographic for some projects I am confused about the choice to cast her. It's just weird to me. She just doesn't check any boxes I can think of but TCTTS clarified that she is more marketable than I must understand and that is ok.

I don't wish for anything to fail, and I will do what I always do and just choose not to see the movie. I brought what I thought was an acceptable question to an open entertainment forum for a bit of discussion and to maybe learn something I didn't know.

From a business standpoint this one just didnt make sense. Hell, I may be wrong and it may make 3 times it's budget

And to respond to your last paragraph I don't really care. You are right it's a ***tty remake of a 70s show that will likely leave no mark in the books of history but I don't understand how these Uber wealthy people in Hollywood make these movies that seem to have a high likelihood of failure.
TXAG 05
AG
TCTTS said:

TresPuertas said:

Jim01 said:

I don't think you know what a "butch lesbian" is.

This. Kristen Stewart is anything but butch.
expresswrittenconsent
Quote:

I don't understand how these Uber wealthy people in Hollywood make these movies that seem to have a high likelihood of failure.

But do they really, though?
It sort of seems like every perception you've had here has been dead wrong.
You didnt just ask "hey, what's up with this movie", you brought a whole bag of stuff to unpack about "butch lesbians" and how you're "1000% sure this will bomb".
TCTTS
Urban Ag
AG
Don't get worked up about it. It's his schtick to patrol this board and jump on anyone he thinks is to the right of the average sensibility in CA.

This movie will suck and bomb. From a financial perspective, it's probably relatively cheap to make so overall once all avenues of distribution are met, it may turn a modest profit but likely nothing more.

And Hollywood is no different than any other industry or my tax return for that matter. Taking a dog now and then can be useful just like unloading some crap stocks to offset some income can be. It's all a shell game.

TCTTS is right though for the most part. It's all bottom line driven. Mistakes get made everyday but the pursuit of the almighty dollar sets the stage.
Carlo4
AG
Did they reverse it and get Craig Robinson, James Franco, and Chris Pine to be the angels and someone like Jennifer Aniston to be Charlie?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.