*** 1917 *** (Spoilers)

36,540 Views | 291 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Counterpoint
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bump. I missed this in theaters and it's available to rent on iTunes now. It was amazing.
FNG
I meant to see this in theaters. My son went with a bunch of buddies right before the semester started up. Loved it. Talked a lot about the flares at night.

Maybe I'll stream it and go to work while nobody is there and use one of the big projectors and watch it there.
YouBet
AG
Watched last night. Good movie and absolutely beautiful. Not the year's best for me. I didn't read all the posts so not sure if anyone else said this but this was basically like watching someone else play a newer gen video game. Thus, this movie actually didn't feel all that novel to me.

My first thought was "this is Tomb Raider in WWI; I've played this game before." Maybe that's more a testament of how advanced games have become and are now influencing movies? I don't know.
double aught
AG
Finally saw this today. Loved it.

One small question: Why did they fire off the flare after making it through no mans land? I thought the lieutenant told them to use it only if they got wounded and stranded out there.
_lefraud_
AG
Quote:

Lieutenant Leslie: If you do get shot, try to make it back to the wire. We won't come after you, not until it's dark. And, if by some ****ing miracle you do make it, send up a flare.
double aught
AG
Thanks. I must've misheard him. Those guys all talked funny for some reason.
PharmD4
AG
Watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago.

Great movie. This may have been pointed out numerous times (I haven't read all 9 pages of the thread), but it's rare to see a movie follow a single character start to finish in linear time.

I bet that is a big risk for writers/directors...but so well executed in this case.
gggmann
AG
PharmD4 said:

Watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago.

Great movie. This may have been pointed out numerous times (I haven't read all 9 pages of the thread), but it's rare to see a movie follow a single character start to finish in linear time.

I bet that is a big risk for writers/directors...but so well executed in this case.
That was the novelty of the film - that it was shot to simulate one continuous take (minus the time cut in the middle). I thought it worked well, but I found myself watching for the cut points in the film (like when the camera pans across a tree or rock in the foreground).

On a tangent - the first film I remember doing this was Snake Eyes w/ Nicolas Cage. The first 10 or so minutes is a continuous shot. I remember one episode of the X-Files did it as well around that same time.
YouBet
AG
If I'm not mistaken Children of Men was one take as well. Incredible movie also.

Or maybe it was the shootout scene?
TCTTS
AG
Two sequences I can recall... the sequence in the car where they're being attacked and then yeah, the shootout sequence at the end.
KCup17
AG
Watching Gallipoli at the moment and didnt know where else to post this but the utter incompetence of the leadership at that campaign astound me. Literally sending line after line to their death. I cant help but get pissed as I watch.
cbr
AG
Finally saw this brilliant movie. Loved it. A great movie. Great War movie. Great ww1 movie, of which there are far too few.

I honestly think deep down, we knew ww1 was the beginning of the end of many wonderful things. A prelude to the end of honor. Everyone just wanted to forget it.

But it should not be forgotten.
Counterpoint
AG
Amazing movie, amazing score! But did anyone catch the Westworld theme near the end of the movie (when he left the brother and starting walking toward the tree to sit down)? I was worried it was all going to be a fake robot battle when I heard that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.