*** 1917 *** (Spoilers)

36,534 Views | 291 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Counterpoint
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We got a teaser trailer for this back in August, but an awesome new poster and a great behind-the-scenes featurette released today, one that chronicles just how insane of an undertaking this movie is, as it's all going to be presented as ONE TAKE, in real time. So, between all of this, with the full trailer imminent, I figured it was time to get a thread going.

1917 hits theaters on Christmas day...

Aust Ag
AG
Why would they release a movie on Christmas Day? What about the 2 weeks prior or whatever to take advantage of the big holiday box office?
TCTTS
AG
Aust Ag said:

What about the 2 weeks prior or whatever to take advantage of the big holiday box office?

In short... Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Release Date: December 20, 2019.

But even outside of that, multiple big movies like this release on Christmas day every year. And some of them don't even go wide until the first half of January. For the first six weeks or so of the year, there's hardly ever any legit competition anyway. That, and for movies like this it's also about Oscar exposure, and December 25th is usually the last viable day of the year to release one or two big Oscar hopefuls vying to be the freshest of the bunch of voters' minds.
brew82
That looks really good! I can't even imagine how nerve racking that mission would be for a young man to have to carry out.
oragator
I think wide release is Jan 10. Christmas is limited.

It is allegedly a partially true story, something told to the director by his grandfather,
bearamedic99
AG
Cautiously optimistic.

I sort of hate that this might steal thunder from They Shall Never Grow Old but the first had its time.
Malachi Constant
AG
I can't wait for this especially since I'm almost done with dan Carlin's hardcore history podcast.

That and wasn't 1917 the year TAMC went undefeated and unscored upon? What happened to that thread with the plot idea for a film?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, same year. 1917 and 1919. The thread lasted a good while, and we had some great discussion, but then naturally died off. I've got it book-marked for future reference, though, when and if I get around to writing the script itself...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3037271/
HeadGames
AG
Ok... that's cool
FancyKetchup14
AG
When TC disavows my previously created 1917 thread
TCTTS
AG
I did a Google search and nothing came up! Apologies!
TCTTS
AG
Just searched again and TWO threads came up this time (one on the History board). Don't know how I missed it...
FancyKetchup14
AG
All good! Just giving you a hard time.

Really looking forward to this movie. Hoping Sam Mendes can work some magic on it

The poster has a "Dunkirk" feel to it
AgGrad99
AG
Really looking forward to this one
schmendeler
AG
I saw the first teaser a while back, but didn't catch on to the "one take" aspect. that looks pretty incredible.
Stupe
S
bearamedic99 said:

Cautiously optimistic.

I sort of hate that this might steal thunder from They Shall Never Grow Old but the first had its time.
I don't see how it could.

They are two completely different types of films.
jeffk
AG
HOLY CRAP THIS LOOKS AMAZING.

WWI is one of my favorite periods of study - just such an amazing amalgamation of past and present technology and thought and tactics coming together at once.

Now I need to go play BF1 some more.
wangus12
AG
Really looking forward to this one
Gigem314
AG
jeffk said:

HOLY CRAP THIS LOOKS AMAZING.

WWI is one of my favorite periods of study - just such an amazing amalgamation of past and present technology and thought and tactics coming together at once.

Now I need to go play BF1 some more.
Yeah it really is incredible period that combined new technology and weapons of 20th Century warfare with old tactics and strategy (straight up charging directly at the lines into enemy fire). A brutal conflict that so often gets overlooked in our history due to the enormity of WWII.

I would imagine charging out of those trenches blindly into machine gun fire and gas was every bit as terrifying as the Allies landing on the beaches of Normandy. And that was a regular WWI battle strategy. Unreal.

double aught
AG
Looks really good.

I'm curious as to how they blend shots to appear as one take. I presume some of it involves the lens being obscured at times by smoke/debris/darkness etc.
JABQ04
AG
I'm glad WWI is getting some respect these. It's something I've been interested in ever since I was younger and watched The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Can't wait to see this one.
wangus12
AG
New trailer.

TCTTS
AG
This looks incredible.
Hey Nav
AG
Doubtful most can fathom the casualties (US) in that war.

Just think if , in 2019, we lost 190,0000 KIA in one year.

Just think if, in 2019, we had 410,000 soldiers die from all causes.

Just think if, in 2019, we had 715,000 wounded soldiers.

Those are approximate ratios to today's population of the US.

And those stats are miniscule compared to GB, France, Germany, Russia, and several other countries in Europe.

Just think - the US had a population of about 100 million around that time. Australia had a population of about 5 million.

Australia had more KIA in that war. So, too, Canada.

This is back when wars were wars.

It was brutal. The US was a minor player in the carnage.

It truly boggles my mind.

I don't really know how film can even come close to showing the magnitude of war.

FancyKetchup14
AG
This has been stated before, but if this interest you listen to Dan Carlin's hardcore history: the blueprint for Armageddon.

It's insane when you think about he 10's of thousands of men killed in one day. And how that happened multiple times.
jeffk
AG
I've read where the average height of men in GB and other nations decreased from before and after the war. Also, because of how they populated units in their militaries back then, when a battle went badly, all adult men in a particular village or town were killed. Mind-boggling to think about. Modern nations don't have the stomach for losses like that (for good reason).
jeffk
AG
And *then* the world endures one of the most deadly pandemics in human history with the influenza outbreak of 1918.
JABQ04
AG
jeffk said:

I've read where the average height of men in GB and other nations decreased from before and after the war. Also, because of how they populated units in their militaries back then, when a battle went badly, all adult men in a particular village or town were killed. Mind-boggling to think about. Modern nations don't have the stomach for losses like that (for good reason).

The British institutes "Pals" battalions in 1915. The idea being you join up with your friends, neighbors, co-workers.... and you all get to serve together. Worked as a great tool too to get numbers. However, the majority of these Pals Battalions first action was on July 1, 1916. Approximately 20K dead and another approximately 40K wounded, all on the first day of the Somme. I don't think there was any extreme as every male being killed in a village or town, but it was pretty bad with some battalions reporting casualties in the 80% range and a few higher. These are all broad facts off the top of my head, good info out there on these units. For us in WWII look at the town of Bedford, VA. Most of their men who served were A conpany 116 Infantry, 29th Infantry division. First wave at Omaha. Out of a town of 2000 something like 18 of their men died in one morning.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Belton Ag
AG
Excited to see this one. WW1 is a fascinating backdrop for a movie, it even made Wonder Woman more interesting.
annie88
AG
Aust Ag said:

Why would they release a movie on Christmas Day? What about the 2 weeks prior or whatever to take advantage of the big holiday box office?

Christmas releases are actually a big deal. A lot of people like to go Christmas day and the days around the holidays. It's a very targeted release date.
annie88
AG
Belton Ag said:

Excited to see this one. WW1 is a fascinating backdrop for a movie, it even made Wonder Woman more interesting.

It looks fantastic. Thought midway was good, this looks even better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.