Streaming Platform Guide

17,757 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

With NBC/Universal finally announcing "Peacock," their new streaming platform, this morning, we now have a complete list of every major streaming platform currently in operation or set to release over the next few months (12 in all). This will be the streaming landscape for the foreseeable future, in terms of scripted content, and will no doubt mark a paradigm shift over the next year or so. I mainly wanted to break all this down for myself, and start figuring out which ones I'm going to keep/buy, but I figured it'd make for a handy guide for everyone else as well. I've omitted a ton of smaller titles below, but let me know if I've missed any major titles and I'll add them to their respective platforms...

Amazon Prime Video
$12.99/month

With their Lord of the Rings series (most likely) premiering in 2021, Amazon is attempting to amp up their TV output not only in terms of volume but in scope, so expect even more splashy titles as they continue to expand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Video

Apple TV+
$4.99/month (November 1)

If there's one platform Apple TV+ seems to be striving to emulate it's HBO, only the blandest/safest version possible. Nothing incredibly exciting here yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV%2B

CBS All Access
$5.99/month

TV
The Good Fight, Twilight Zone, Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_All_Access

Disney+
$6.99/month (November 12)

All things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. I feel like everyone has a pretty good handle on this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%2B

Hulu
$5.99 - $11.99/month

Considering Disney now owns Hulu as well, this will soon be where most of Disney's recently acquired 20th Century Fox fare will live, along with their more dramatic/mature series. If Disney+ is exclusively PG/PG-13, Hulu is mostly PG-13/R.

TV
FX's entire library + 24, Castle Rock, The Handmaid's Tale, The Simpsons, Veronica Mars, The X-Files, etc.

FILMS
Alien, Avatar, Die Hard, Kingsman, Night at the Museum, Planet of the Apes, and X-Men franchises + all other Touchstone Pictures and 20th Century Fox films/franchises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulu

HBO Max
$14.99 - $16.99/month (April 2020)

All things HBO / TBS / TNT / Warner Bros.

TV
HBO's entire library + Friends, The Big Bang Theory, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, etc. + new original series, chief among them most of J.J. Abrams'/Bad Robot's output from here on out.

FILM
All DC films, along with the Conjuring, Godzilla, Harry Potter, LEGO, Mad Max, The Matrix, Ocean's, and Rocky franchises + all other WB films/franchises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBO_Max

Netflix
$8.99 - $15.99/month

No need for a Netflix breakdown - most of us are beyond familiar with their offerings by now - but it's worth noting that in the wake of losing both Friends and The Office, Netflix just landed a deal this week for Seinfeld that will begin in 2021.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix

Peacock
Price TBA (April 2020)

All things NBC / USA / Bravo / Universal Pictures / Focus Features

TV
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Cheers, Downton Abbey, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Parks & Rec, Mr. Robot, This Is Us, and all seasons of Saturday Night Live, etc., along with "revivals" of Battlestar Galactica, Punky Brewster, and Saved by the Bell + all Bravo reality content.

FILM
American Pie, Back to the Future, Bourne, Fast & Furious, Jurassic Park/World, and Shrek franchises + all other Universal Pictures and Focus Features films/franchises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacock_(streaming_service)

Quibi
Price TBA (April 2020)

Unlike other streaming video platforms, Quibi's content is made specifically to be only viewed on mobile devices and can be viewed in either horizontal or vertical video, with the user able to shift to one or the other within the same video. Instead of typical half-hour TV episodes or two-hour movies, content on Quibi will be delivered in episode chapters of 10 minutes or less.

Series coming from Paul Feig, Peter Farrelly, Steven Soderbergh, and Steven Spielberg, with a reimagining of The Fugitive from Keifer Sutherland as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quibi

Showtime
$10.99/month

Currently staying with their tried and true formula/offerings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showtime_(TV_network)

Starz
$8.99/month

Currently staying with their tried and true formula/offerings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starz

YouTube Premium
$11.99/month

In addition to ad-free videos and downloads, YouTube Premium also offers "YouTube Originals" such as Cobra Kai, documentaries, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube_Premium

All in, all 12 platforms will run you roughly $100 - $110 per month.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
double aught
AG
I really like that Peacock logo. Has a retro feel.
Redstone
AG
We have Prime, Hulu Plus, and Netflix.

Were in early on all.
TCTTS
AG
I think I'm for sure going with these four at launch...

$12.99 = Amazon Prime
$06.99 = Disney+
$14.99 = HBO Max
$15.99 = Netflix

And then potentially adding these two depending on reviews of their original content...

$4.99 = Apple TV+
$TBA = Peacock

Everything else I can probably do without, as I currently watch nothing on any of those platforms.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
I can see CBS All Access and Showtime potentially merging into a single app at some point since CBS owns Showtime. Then someone maybe swallows up Starz. I can also see Apple eventually dropping out if they still aren't making a splash after 3-5 years or so - or - they just straight up buy Netflix. In other words, I think the number dwindles to 7 or 8 platforms eventually, but yeah, it's going to be super interesting to see how they all stay competitive and how this all shakes out.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
redd38
AG
That's what I do for HBO. I just subscribe for 1 month a year and catch up on anything new.
TXAG 05
AG
Before long, "cord cutting" will be more expensive than cable
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. I think we're discovering that cord cutting won't be cheaper, and that it might even cost more in the end. But what it *does* give you - for now - is the freedom to "cheat" the system, so to speak. Because you're not locked into a cable contract, you can subscribe one month out of the year as mentioned above, or use your parents' logins, neither of which cable allows. That said, the more prominent these steaming platforms become, the more rules they're likely going to put in place. I can see it reaching a point where the big dog platforms eventually force year-long contracts and restrict accounts to one household, etc. So we're more than likely going to be right back where we started, only we're watching TV over WiFi instead of a cable box/satellite, have more on-demand-options, and aren't bound by air times. Otherwise, the price will be relatively the same, all things considered.
fig96
AG
Right now we sub to Amazon Prime by default along with HBO Now, Netflix, and Hulu (which I could do without). Definitely adding Disney+ and I'm looking at a new iPad soon so we'll have AppleTV+.

Is HBO Max replacing HBO Now or is something entirely different/additional? Price point is very similar.
TCTTS
AG
There hasn't been official word yet, but the prevailing thought seems to be that HBO Max will replace HBO Go/Now and it'll just be one app. That said, it'd be nice if there was still a way to access *just* HBO, but that's not sounding likely.
fig96
AG
Gotcha, thanks. I don't know that I need all the additional content, but I'll be subscribed to at least their base service one way or the other.
TCTTS
AG
So I did some more digging and other reports are saying that HBO Go and Now will still exist. I've listened to a couple of podcasts that said otherwise, but it makes sense that something called "Max" will be "in addition to" and not the only thing offered. It's the heavily rumored price point that's throwing me off, though, seeing as, yeah, it's the same as a current HBO subscription. But maybe HBO Go/Now drop to $10 or $12 and Max is around $15?
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Exactly. I think we're discovering that cord cutting won't be cheaper, and that it might even cost more in the end. But what it *does* give you - for now - is the freedom to "cheat" the system, so to speak. Because you're not locked into a cable contract, you can subscribe one month out of the year as mentioned above, or use your parents' logins, neither of which cable allows. That said, the more prominent these steaming platforms become, the more rules they're likely going to put in place. I can see it reaching a point where the big dog platforms eventually force year-long contracts and restrict accounts to one household, etc. So we're more than likely going to be right back where we started, only we're watching TV over WiFi instead of a cable box/satellite, have more on-demand-options, and aren't bound by air times. Otherwise, the price will be relatively the same, all things considered.
One other change that seems likely is the eventual demise of most of those cable channels that hardly anyone watches but are subsidized by packages. I barely knew thee, Oxygen.
bearamedic99
AG
Maybe edit to add what matters to most of us, options for watching college football whether live or DVR.

I hear sling, Hulu, and YouTube tv are the popular choices and the last may be the best
MGS
TCTTS said:

Not to mention that the ISPs will jack up rates for internet service to make up for lost cable TV revenue.
Pendragon12
AG
Of those, the ones that I'll likely always be subscribed to:

Hulu (get it with Spotify)
Amazon Prime

Ones I could see being rotational:

Netflix (I've never canceled since I got it in college, but if they keep raising the price, I may)
Disney
HBO Max
Peacock
Showtime
Starz

Ones I likely will never use unless they up the game:

CBS
Apple TV
Fenrir
Imo, cord cutting will only be more expensive than cable if people literally want everything and can't figure out how to take advantage of the lack of contracts by rotating services. Even then, only a handful of those services are even cable replacements anyway. The others are supplemental that many consumers will pick up regardless of cord cutting.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

I can see CBS All Access and Showtime potentially merging into a single app at some point since CBS owns Showtime. Then someone maybe swallows up Starz. I can also see Apple eventually dropping out if they still aren't making a splash after 3-5 years or so - or - they just straight up buy Netflix. In other words, I think the number dwindles to 7 or 8 platforms eventually, but yeah, it's going to be super interesting to see how they all stay competitive and how this all shakes out.
I think you're right here.

This is like wireless telecom 20 years ago. Everyone was getting in the game. Two decades later the mergers have essentially left us with AT&T, Verizon, TMO, and Sprint. And Sprint and TMO are merging. See that same thing happening over time.

The obvious big difference is you only need one telecom carrier. If the content is good and the prices stable, middle income households could like be paying for multiple streaming services.

The Lost
C@LAg said:

<angry face>
and we still do not have a la carte channel selection on cable.
</ angry face>.

This will never happen either so don't waste your time dreaming.

I can't wait until the lag time on streaming tv like sling or whoever catches up to cable/antennas. That is by far the worst part about sports/texting friends about a game. Everyone is a minute apart.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

So I did some more digging and other reports are saying that HBO Go and Now will still exist. I've listened to a couple of podcasts that said otherwise, but it makes sense that something called "Max" will be "in addition to" and not the only thing offered. It's the heavily rumored price point that's throwing me off, though, seeing as, yeah, it's the same as a current HBO subscription. But maybe HBO Go/Now drop to $10 or $12 and Max is around $15?
Interesting, I don't personally see myself needing more than the base subscription so I'm intrigued to see what happens with that.

Bigger picture question/observation, it sounds like the main gist of all this is that studios/providers will now be hoarding more (all?) of their content for themselves, i.e. we won't be getting Disney/Marvel or DC films on Netflix.

Does this start to present a more challenging landscape for Netflix in particular? We've seen them shift to more of a focus on originals over time, but they've always had lots of other films and series from other networks to choose from as well. I wonder if moving forward it's going to be tougher for them to air non-original episodic content in particular with all of these networks wanting to keep their series for their own streaming services.
fig96
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Maybe edit to add what matters to most of us, options for watching college football whether live or DVR.

I hear sling, Hulu, and YouTube tv are the popular choices and the last may be the best
PS Vue is solid as well (my current choice). But I think the live services are a different beast than what we're talking about here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is HBO Now becoming redundant once Max launches? I assume so.

I plan on cancelling Now as soon as Succession ends, in any case.

Edit: Didn't read the thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is Youtube Premium not considered a real streaming platform?

I certainly don't have it or know anyone who does, but they do have Cobra Kai, one of the biggest streaming shows of all time.
fig96
AG
I've always felt like YouTubeTV and YouTube Red/Premium should probably be a combined service? I couldn't tell you another original they have other than Cobra Kai and ad-free YouTube just isn't worth that much to me, though maybe that's a different case if you have kids that watch it 247.
mazag08
AG
should you add Youtube to the list? They have original content..
62strat
AG
TCTTS said:

or use your parents' logins, neither of which cable allows.
Wrong on this. My brother has used my dish log in to watch grammys/oscars many times. Cable companies use apps, too..
TCTTS
AG
I was talking about traditional cable since cable apps are a form of cord cutting, but okay...
TCTTS
AG
Added YouTube Premium (formerly YouTube Red) to the OP. Good call from you and Spilner. Their catalogue looks to be extremely thin, but it should be included as well...
TCTTS
AG
Also updated Peacock to include all things Bravo.
TCTTS
AG
bearamedic99 said:

This gets way too complicated for me. Then I'm basically having to list a sh*t ton of service providers and all of their various plans and what not. That should be a Premium or Football thread. I should have been more clear, but this list primarily concerns providers of scripted content.
TCTTS
AG
The Lost said:

C@LAg said:

<angry face>
and we still do not have a la carte channel selection on cable.
</ angry face>.

This will never happen either so don't waste your time dreaming.

I can't wait until the lag time on streaming tv like sling or whoever catches up to cable/antennas. That is by far the worst part about sports/texting friends about a game. Everyone is a minute apart.

Yeah, the lag time is the big thing holding me back from fully cutting the cord at this point. I don't know much about 5G, but I wonder if that will help or if the lag is due to a more complicated issue?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

All in, all 11 platforms will run you roughly $100 - $110 per month.
Surprisingly, not as bad as I would have thought. Of course, you still gotta pay internet on top of this.

Still, the average cable subscriber probably pays in the $150 range or so?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.