Streaming Platform Guide

17,783 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TCTTS
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CypressAg09 said:

TCTTS said:

From people I've talked to, everyone seems to be pretty happy with both YouTube TV and AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now), in terms of streaming / cord cutting. I'm still holding onto DirecTV satellite...
I've had DirecTV/ATTnow since it pretty much first came out. It's been really nice, especially at first when it was only $35/month plus $5 for HBO. They've increased the price a few times over the past year and half, but it was still cheaper than anything else when you consider the $5 HBO. Just got notice that it's going to jump to $85 in December, so it looks like I'll be switching to something else in a month, probably a lot of other people will too.

Wow! I guess they are trying to close the gap from lost subscribers that dropped DTV satellite?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's nuts. Had no idea it was now that high.
CostanzaWallet
AG
So when is someone going to bundle all the streaming platforms for Cable part deux?

It's already too much to keep up with

please just never take my youtubetv and college football away
WoMD
CypressAg09 said:

TCTTS said:

From people I've talked to, everyone seems to be pretty happy with both YouTube TV and AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now), in terms of streaming / cord cutting. I'm still holding onto DirecTV satellite...
I've had DirecTV/ATTnow since it pretty much first came out. It's been really nice, especially at first when it was only $35/month plus $5 for HBO. They've increased the price a few times over the past year and half, but it was still cheaper than anything else when you consider the $5 HBO. Just got notice that it's going to jump to $85 in December, so it looks like I'll be switching to something else in a month, probably a lot of other people will too.

Wait, have you been on the grandfathered plan since the beginning (when it was 35)? Mine is only going up to $60, so I'm assumed that you're not...? $85 makes no sense otherwise.

Now for those not grandfathered, yeah it's time to bail and find something else like YouTube. It just no longer makes sense financially, especially since they've also cut channels. I'm only staying with DTV Now since it includes HBO at $60, otherwise I'd be trying YouTube TV. They're increasing prices pretty quickly, so that change might be happening soon regardless.
Dro07
AG
Got an email saying Hulu love is going up $10 from 44 to 54 fwiw
wangus12
AG
dromo07 said:

Got an email saying Hulu love is going up $10 from 44 to 54 fwiw
Yeah same here. They increased it twice this year.

So now we're at:

Hulu Live: 54.99
Netflix: 12.99
Disney+: 6.99
HBO: 14.99
Amazon Prime: $119/yr or. ~ 9.91
fig96
AG
Prime is sort of a different thing for me. I'd have it either way, so getting the content is just sort of a bonus (though I have really enjoyed some of their shows, super into Jack Ryan right now).
wangus12
AG
True and same for us. We'd have it whether or not video was included.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's said to be a Friends reunion in the works to launch HBO Max with. That's a huge get and precisely the kind of thing they need if they want to make a splash out of the gate.
TCTTS
AG
Except for this nugget: "Talks are currently underway for an unscripted reunion special..." which sounds like some kind of interview/retrospect with the cast or something. Doesn't sound like it's going to be an actual episode or episodes, which seems super lame...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/friends-reunion-special-works-at-hbo-max-1254331
Iowaggie
AG
Given the prices that some of the streaming platforms are now rising to, we would be fine with satellite, but the streaming platforms like youtube TV/HULU/SLING make it so easy to disconnect without penalty or pause. Most the year we're going to run with Disney+, Netflix (with T-Mobile phone plan), and Amazon Prime.

I think we have transitioned to only having those during football season and maybe again in March, but it isn't just cable and satellite that are going to be hurt by cord cutters, the NFL, NBA, and MLB need to strongly reconsider their blackout rules on their platforms because they are going to lose a lot of viewers, and out of sight will mean out of mind. Each year it is easier to not watch.
aggieforester05
AG
I'm not sure why there is even a comparison to satellite at the same price point. If you have a decent internet connection, the quality and diversity of content and the superior delivery systems of streaming make it a no brainer to me.

Sports blackouts are one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
YouBet
AG
Someone else probably already said it but we are going to quickly get back to cable/sat prices with the only difference being it's all sans contract.
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

Someone else probably already said it but we are going to quickly get back to cable/sat prices with the only difference being it's all sans contract.
But we're really not.

If you subbed to everything plus a live tv package, you'd be looking at maybe $130/mo. There are folks who pay $200+ for just cable/satellite for mutliple tv's.

And you don't need everything.
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

But we're really not.

If you subbed to everything plus a live tv package, you'd be looking at maybe $130/mo. There are folks who pay $200+ for just cable/satellite for mutliple tv's.

Based on the price increase trends we are. DTV Now is suddenly $85 by itself. These others keep increasing too. We shall see.
CharlieBrown17
AG
fig96 said:

Prime is sort of a different thing for me. I'd have it either way, so getting the content is just sort of a bonus (though I have really enjoyed some of their shows, super into Jack Ryan right now).

Mrs. Maisel
expresswrittenconsent
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

But we're really not.

I think you're kind of both right. There are some cord cutters, like coupon cutters who will see the value in the a la carte options as long as there is even $1 savings. But for plenty of others, the convenience provided by a $125 cable sub is worth more than the extra $15 it costs them for $110 of streaming. Those are made up numbers obviously but the point is that I dont really think the costs have to truly even out before lots of ppl will move back.

This accounts for the ~20mm cord cutters who dropped cable/sat, but does nothing to account for the gen y and gen z who never had a cable sub. I think you just try to keep getting them to add services and eventually hope to make subscription sharing harder.
double aught
AG
I pay $40/month for DirecTV. Not worth cancelling at that price.
MBAR
AG
I mean, yes, if you get everything and keep it at all times then you can spend as much as you do on cable. But why would anyone do that? You don't have to be some frugal master, to keep prices down because you're not going to watch everything all the time.

The moment sports contracts are negotiated with streaming in mind is the moment I don't even need something like YoutubeTV. And honestly that's not too far in the future.

Much better content, no contracts, no stupid equipment charges, no dealing with terrible customer service, and its STILL MUCH cheaper.

Other than that totally the same as cable..
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

But we're really not.

Based on the price increase trends we are. DTV Now is suddenly $85 by itself. These others keep increasing too. We shall see.
Well you're starting with probably the worst streaming option to start with that's 50% more than other similar services. But again, there's lots of options.

Regular Hulu provides most major network shows, and a lot of folks don't need a full streaming package year round. And again, no one needs to subscribe to everything, and with streaming you can easily cancel or suspend service as needed.

Even if your streaming tv package does cost 85 bucks, you'd add maybe another 75 bucks if you got EVERYTHING. If you had a traditional cable package with all the options you'd be looking at $200+.

Sure, it's possible that eventually streaming prices catch up, but what we have now is far more consumer friendly than traditional cable ever was.
double aught
AG
Anyone who is paying $200 a month for cable is doing it wrong.
TCTTS
AG
Before taxes and fees, I pay $87.99/month for the DirecTV Choice package, which is basically their mid-grade package. But I have HBO, Showtime, and NFL Sunday Ticket through them as well. Add those in, along with "access" fees, "additional receiver" fees, and a "DVR" fee, and yeah, for six months out of the year, with Sunday Ticket, I'm at $231.80/month. $165.81 without Sunday Ticket.

Throw in Netflix ($15.99), Amazon Prime ($9.92), and Disney Plus ($6.99) and I'm at $254.70 TOTAL six months a year, which is insane.

Come February, when I'm done paying for Sunday Ticket, I think I'm finally making the switch to YouTube TV. Going to drop Cinemax as well.

So, by mid-2020 or so, after HBO Max releases, I'll be looking at...

$49.99 = YouTube TV
$15.99 = Netflix
$14.99 = HBO Max
$09.92 = Amazon Prime
$06.99 = Disney+

$97.88 = TOTAL

Then, if I still want Sunday Ticket next season, it sounds like this is the last season it's going to be a DirecTV exclusive , and will probably be stand-alone from here on out, so if I still want it, I can do it that way (though I watch it less and less now and this is probably my last season).

Either way, this all seems like a no-brainer at this point. Especially since the more I use apps on Apple TV (the quality is so much better than cable), the more ancient DirecTV feels.

It's time.
MBAR
AG
Not to mention you can watch Youtube TV during a solid storm. From back when I had DirecTV (5ish years ago) it would go out during those storms.
double aught
AG
Have you tried haggling with DirecTV? I've been ready to cancel at the end of my contract for at least the last three years, and they've thrown huge discounts at me each time.
TCTTS
AG
Best I could do was get $8 off HBO and Showtime for three months a couple weeks ago when their service went out for like six hours. Threatened to leave and everything. At this point, I don't even want to keep them, though, even if they gave me a big discount. I'm ready for the simplicity of everything running through a single device, the Apple TV.
fig96
AG
MBAR said:

Not to mention you can watch Youtube TV during a solid storm. From back when I had DirecTV (5ish years ago) it would go out during those storms.
We briefly switched to DirecTV after AT&T offered a ton of incentives, and the dropping service during reasonably mild weather just killed me. Went digital soon after.
expresswrittenconsent
MBAR said:

I mean, yes, if you get everything and keep it at all times then you can spend as much as you do on cable. But why would anyone do that? You don't have to be some frugal master, to keep prices down because you're not going to watch everything all the time.

The moment sports contracts are negotiated with streaming in mind is the moment I don't even need something like YoutubeTV. And honestly that's not too far in the future.

Much better content, no contracts, no stupid equipment charges, no dealing with terrible customer service, and its STILL MUCH cheaper.

If the product sells itself why do the acolytes always intentionally misrepresent the truth (and in the same ways)? Every streaming convert talks about no contracts. Guess what, cable has had no contracts forever. Better content? That's laughable considering that every service has at least one or two limitations requiring you to either have a 2nd service or get a login from a friend or 'just pick up 'xyz' channel/package during the specific time it airs, or just watch the damn commercials.
fig96
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

MBAR said:

If the product sells itself why do the acolytes always intentionally misrepresent the truth (and in the same ways)? Every streaming convert talks about no contracts. Guess what, cable has had no contracts forever. Better content? That's laughable considering that every service has at least one or two limitations requiring you to either have a 2nd service or get a login from a friend or 'just pick up 'xyz' channel/package during the specific time it airs, or just watch the damn commercials.
Since when? Every service I've had the past several years has had a contract required to lock in the intro rate, and then generally again if you negotiate down.

Not to mention that even if you don't have a contract (which again isn't the norm) you still can't easily pause or suspend service. You've got to pack up equipment, send it back, etc., then good luck restarting that.

I don't think anyone here really cares whether you or anyone else chooses to switch, there's nothing in it for us. But lots have found it to be a better value and much more consumer friendly, which is why many folks are very positive on the experience. Not sure why this bothers you so much.
wangus12
AG
****ing internet is out. Spectrum came by today and couldn't get it fixed. Downside of cutting the cord. No access to any of it right now.

Just watching Tucker & Dale vs. Evil on the ol DVD player
YouBet
AG
wangus12 said:

****ing internet is out. Spectrum came by today and couldn't get it fixed. Downside of cutting the cord. No access to any of it right now.

When we all go to internet only and the internet goes down, rioting will ensue.

If I can't watch The Mandalorian then I will burn this city to the ground.
texasaggie04
AG
wangus12 said:

Sounds like a win to me.
MBAR
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

MBAR said:

I mean the product does sell itself. Are you arguing that stream services aren't exploding while cable is losing subscribers? I'm not sure what your point is here.

The no contract things is a big plus. Thats great if you have cable with no contract, but that isn't the case for a lot of people and it certainly isn't the case for anyone with a satellite system. As for better content, I'm referring to Netflix etc over traditional cable. Better Call Saul is probably the only thing but even that hits streaming within a year of airing. I mean, if you like watching HG Network or whatever, then you might want to keep cable. I don't.

I don't know why you think I"m trying to sell you something, but I couldn't care less what you subscribe to. That being said, cutting the cord is by far the objectively better option, which is why all of the market momentum is in that direction. I'm not sure why this upsets you, but that doesn't make me an "acolyte".
JYDog90
AG
The Rockets and Astros are keeping me on DirecTV right now. My understanding is that fubo tv is the only streaming service that carries them and it's $55/mo. Insane.
Formerly Willy Wonka
aggieforester05
AG
Fubo doesn't have SEC network, so no Aggie football. Otherwise they have a great channel lineup.
YouBet
AG
I'm still baffled that the rockets and Astros are exclusive to a network no one outside of Houston has ever heard of. At least I haven't and I'm in Dallas.

Assumed it was a soccer network.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.