Streaming Platform Guide

17,795 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TCTTS
HvilleAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCG Disciple said:

Looks like I'm in the market again.

My biggest issue with Vue, and it seems to be with all streaming services, I don't think the quality is there on sports broadcasts. I still think my old direct tv and dish signals produced a better HD stream. Is there a service that is best, or does it completely depend on bandwidth?

I noticed this when I watched Thursday night football on my fire stick and it was eye-poppingly better. After watching the world series I'm convinced that PS Vue is not streaming HD
Sex Panther
AG
Any Vue refugees figured out what they're gonna do yet? I'm still pissed...
MW03
AG
Sex Panther said:

Was leaning Hulu until I read about the stupid DVR crap and not being able to fast forward without upgrading. That pisses me off on a fundamental level.
TCTTS
AG
From people I've talked to, everyone seems to be pretty happy with both YouTube TV and AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now), in terms of streaming / cord cutting. I'm still holding onto DirecTV satellite...
Jim01
AG
I just got a notification that my phone comes with a free year of AppleTV+. Does every iPhone get it? Nice surprise.

Note: I have an iPhone X that is two years old.
fig96
AG
Sex Panther said:

Probably YTTV, doing a trial now and I actually really like the interface. From what I can tell the lineup covers all my needs.
GIF Reactor
AG
We have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and were considering adding Philo or Hulu or YouTube TV along with an antenna and Tivo to cut the cord. We are moving and just found out that the neighborhood only has AT&T BASIC 5Mbps internet available, so we may not be even able to cut the cord. Truly first world problems, but for a brand new neighborhood, why the hell weren't provisions for high speed internet put in the original development? Sorry, just venting because I don't know if that speed will even be fast enough for multiple streams.
BIMS O1
AG
I just left att tvnow and switched to YouTube tv. The YouTube interface is better and the unlimited cloud storage is pretty great. Also, the interface for pausing live shows is seemless on YTTV, which was not the case on attTVNow. So far, big thumbs up for YouTube tv
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hph6203
AG
PS Vue is best for sports for the time being due to the multi-view. YouTube TV is second best, because their interface is superior to the other offerings. Hulu Live TV is the worst.
aggieforester05
AG
Philo + Fubo would be a great combo if philo had SEC Network. Guess I'll have to get Youtube TV instead of philo. Won't be able to get univision that way for my wife. Would be nice to have one service with access to everything, instead of having to make compromises anyway you go.
TCTTS
AG
DirecTV is currently suffering a nation-wide loss of most HD channels today. Been down for at least the past three hours. On college football Saturday. Customers are losing their minds online. My patience with satellite is nearing its end...
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

DirecTV is currently suffering a nation-wide loss of most HD channels today. Been down for at least the past three hours. On college football Saturday. Customers are losing their minds online. My patience with satellite is nearing its end...
Wow. Not seeing that here in Dallas.

Edit: AT&T probably doing it on purpose because they are evil m'fers.
YouBet
AG
We are still on DTV Satellite but I have outfitted TV's with Roku sticks and have been trialing Hulu Live. I think I'm going to actually, finally cancel DTV tomorrow. Been talking about doing it for months but I've been too scared to pull the trigger for some reason.
AustinAg2K
One thing that I find fascinating is that these services all spending billions creating new content, and most of that content is some sort of high end drama, but the most watched shows are sitcoms from 20 years ago.
YouBet
AG
AustinAg2K said:

One thing that I find fascinating is that these services all spending billions creating new content, and most of that content is some sort of high end drama, but the most watched shows are sitcoms from 20 years ago.
My wife almost solely watches shows that are old on Hulu. Right now, she's basically rewatching the entire Top Chef catalog.
expresswrittenconsent
AustinAg2K said:

I don't believe that your presumption is correct regarding most content being created is high end drama. What I think is that what you *hear* the most about from these channels/services/etc is high end drama.
Which explains the whole idea behind branding for the channel/service. Back end catalog is important (and some of that content is more valuable than others) but stuff that wins awards and gets podcasts dedicated to each episode and generates long threads on places like here are important in building a brand and generates new subscribers (the success of these shows and different kinds of bundles, and the previously mentioned back catalog can be what keeps subscribers).
aggieforester05
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I may be in the minority, but I don't understand the desire to spend time watching cheesy sitcoms with the wealth of incredible dramas and documentaries available today.
YouBet
AG
aggieforester05 said:

AustinAg2K said:

I may be in the minority, but I don't understand the desire to spend time watching cheesy sitcoms with the wealth of incredible dramas and documentaries available today.
That's part of the problem I think. There are so many shows to choose from you can get analysis paralysis and just give up and watch something you've seen before.

I actually do this more often than not now. Feel dumb doing it but I do.
claym711
AG
I'd be willing to bet that >50% of tv watching is background noise while scrolling phone.
Southlake
Great thread. Thank you for unconfusing me to some point.

My wife got an iPhone X a few months ago; does that give us a year of Apple TV? Not sure I'm even interested in using it.

We are going with You Tube TV with Netflix and Prime.

From this platform I'll just roll with the changes REO style...
BEaggie08
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Before long, "cord cutting" will be more expensive than cable
This is silly. The user has the control. You can only watch so much at once. The ideal model from a user's perspective would be to cycle between services to control cost.
aggieforester05
AG
I have been a cord cutter for five or six years now. In the past, I had sling for a couple of years and basically only watched Aggie games on it so I ended up cancelling it. I primarily watch Netflix, Prime (Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, Starz), and on rare occasion HULU (wife watches cheesy crap on this a lot). I decided to give youtubeTV and Philo a trail period, just to see if I would watch it.

I just can't get into it. I hate the format of limited episodes. For instance, I just looked at treadstone on youtubeTV to see if it's something I might want to watch. Episodes 1, 3, 4, and 5 are available, but not 2. Why the hell would I want to watch a show when a critical episode is missing?

That's a recent release, older shows are much worse and only have certain episodes from certain seasons available. It makes these shows unwatchable for anyone that wasn't there DVRing from the start.

I don't get this model and why it's worth $50+ a month unless it's your only option for sports. Sure, it's cheaper, but they've managed to keep the worst parts of cable/satellite. If competition ever gets strong enough that the networks put all of their content on demand, then I'll look at it again. For someone that is so accustomed to the modern on demand platform these fragmented shows have no appeal to me.

Flame away
expresswrittenconsent
BEaggie08 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Before long, "cord cutting" will be more expensive than cable
This is silly. The user has the control. You can only watch so much at once. The ideal model from a user's perspective would be to cycle between services to control cost.

That doesnt make his point silly or untrue.
MW03
AG
Does anyone know if there's going to be a Hulu Live/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle?
WoMD
MW03 said:

Serious unrelated question...but does anyone actually use espn+? Aside from Europeans and hipsters (when they want to pretend to be part of the trend) watching soccer and other crap sports no one really watches?
Ferg
WoMD said:

MW03 said:

Serious unrelated question...but does anyone actually use espn+? Aside from Europeans and hipsters (when they want to pretend to be part of the trend) watching soccer and other crap sports no one really watches?
I used to make fun of Soccer. I got ESPN+ to watch Johnny in the CFL, but I started watching a little soccer during world cup, and the watched a series on ESPN+ about LAFC, and gradually got hooked on MLS. They also have some boxing and UFC. I'm not a hipster by any stretch. If you like Soccer there is a ton on it. Any out of market match that isn't on National TV will be on ESPN+ for MLS and the two top levels of the United Soccer League(think AAA and AA baseball).

Once the bundle becomes available next Tuesday (Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu add supported for $13), ESPN+ subscriptions will probably take off.
fig96
AG
WoMD said:

MW03 said:

I'm impressed you could be that condescending in only two sentences.
WoMD
fig96 said:

WoMD said:

MW03 said:

I'm impressed you could be that condescending in only two sentences.

Thank you. I've learned from the greats on here. And living in sf I have an unnatural and unhealthy hatred of hipsters and all they stand for.

I always appreciate well-earned compliments.
fig96
AG
Yeah, wasn't at all intended as a compliment.
JD Shellnut
AG
Just got an email from att now saying my bill is going up to 70 dollars next month. Time to switch to something else. The main reason I have not yet is because I think I get free hbo being an att unlimited cell phone customer.
BIMS O1
AG
You can still get free hbo through att, just have to use the hbo now app to access.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rhutton125
AG
FYI for next year, seemed applicable to these threads:

https://deadline.com/2019/11/disney-fx-hulu-streaming-cate-blanchett-disney-earnings-1202780657/

FX coming to Hulu in March, it seems
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Best me to it. Must have been posting mine as you were posting yours.
CypressAg09
AG
TCTTS said:

From people I've talked to, everyone seems to be pretty happy with both YouTube TV and AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now), in terms of streaming / cord cutting. I'm still holding onto DirecTV satellite...
I've had DirecTV/ATTnow since it pretty much first came out. It's been really nice, especially at first when it was only $35/month plus $5 for HBO. They've increased the price a few times over the past year and half, but it was still cheaper than anything else when you consider the $5 HBO. Just got notice that it's going to jump to $85 in December, so it looks like I'll be switching to something else in a month, probably a lot of other people will too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.