Ken Burns' Country Music documentary starts tonight!!!

17,705 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Joe Exotic
sonnysixkiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could use another 4 or 5 hours on the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s great characters making some badass music.
Schall 02
AG
It was great. Just great.

I wanted more George Strait, but I can only assume he didnt consent to an interview. Garth did, hence lots of Garth.
sonnysixkiller
AG
Schall 02 said:

It was great. Just great.

I wanted more George Strait, but I can only assume he didnt consent to an interview. Garth did, hence lots of Garth.
I agree still should have more George than Brooks but this documentary was great I enjoyed every minute of it still wish johnny Horton would have got a mention.
Liquid Wrench
I want Peter Coyote to live long enough to tell people I died.
jschroeder
They kind of glossed over that entire "neo-traditionalist" era entirely. Reba did the interviews and was relatively ignored as well.
DG-Ag
AG
I'm a little behind so I just watched Ep 6 last night - "Will the Circle be Unbroken?" Wow. This thing just keeps getting better and better. But this one struck an emotional chord for me. I was 8 in 1968 so I was just really starting to pay attention to music. My wife will tell you that I keep my emotions pretty bottled up. But there were times during that episode that I was getting pretty misty. Especially, for some reason, during the last segment where they focused on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and the album they were putting together with Mother Maybelle Carter and other Nashville luminaries. I started listening to that album this morning on the way to work. Made me smile. What's really cool is the chit-chat and banter between songs. Hearing Maybelle and Acuff talk. Listening to Maybelle singing is like my grandmother singing to me. I HIGHLY recommend this album.

And I think I could just listen to Willie talk for a couple hours straight. It was especially meaningful to me that they played "Me and Paul" in the background and then during the credits. One of my all time favorites that you rarely hear.

And Kristofferson - really got goosebumps during this part. The story of Bobby McGee. Going to the rail at that church and then writing "Why Me." Wow.

And the stuff about Johnny Cash. My favorite uncle who died a few years ago was the one who got me started with Johnny. I couldn't help but think of him during those segments. I had a Johnny Cash greatest hits album that I would just play over and over. Wore that thing out. When CD's became a thing that was one of the first ones I bought.

And I don't know about the rest of you but what I wouldn't give to hang out and talk about music and hear stories with Vince Gill, Marty Stuart and Roseanne Cash. Man I think she's really cool and absolutely love to hear her talk.

I could go on and on. Never has a show - TV or movie - struck me the way this series has. I would love to sit at the Chicken with all of you guys and just talk about this series over some cold beers.
rbtexan
S
Everybody in Nashville laughed at Fred Foster for wanting to release "Why Me Lord" as a single on Kristofferson. It broke every rule in the book. A religious song, a waltz, by a singer who in his own words sounded like a frog.
Fred always went with his gut, and what he thought would touch people. He didn't believe in rules.

That's why he was brilliant, and that's what is so desperately missing on Music Row today.
Jimbo Franchione
DG-Ag
AG
rbtexan said:

Everybody in Nashville laughed at Fred Foster for wanting to release "Why Me Lord" as a single on Kristofferson. It broke every rule in the book. A religious song, a waltz, by a singer who in his own words sounded like a frog.
Fred always went with his gut, and what he thought would touch people. He didn't believe in rules.

That's why he was brilliant, and that's what is so desperately missing on Music Row today.
Fred Foster! Love that guy. Talk about a guy that talks like a frog. Giamatti will play him in the biopic.
rbtexan
S
He was one of closest, dearest friends. Miss him every day.

I've told this story before, but in the summer of '85 I was struggling as a songwriter in Nashville, when my father passed back in TX. I was flat broke, driving a truck that barely made it around town - there was no way I could make it home. I went to tell Fred what had happened, because he and I were close, and he extended his condolences and asked me when I was leaving to go to TX for the funeral. I told him I wasn't going because I didn't have the money. He got up, told me "sit there and don't move", and left for about 15 minutes. When he came back, he told me that he had bought me a plane ticket to San Angelo, and he then gave me $500 cash for the trip. All of this while his record label was in bankruptcy. For years, I tried to pay him back, and he never would let me - always just said "I don't remember doing that".

I'm too old for this sort of thing, but I'll fist fight anyone who says anything bad about that man.
Jimbo Franchione
Big Cat `93
AG
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see/hear much about Eddy Arnold. That's odd.

Fred Foster's interviews were great. I loved the stuff with him and the other people behind the scenes.

This whole thing was A+.
DG-Ag
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

Fred Foster's interviews were great. I loved the stuff with him and the other people behind the scenes.

This whole thing was A+.
They talked about Eddy a little in either 4 or 5. I think it was when they were discussing the "Nashville sound."
Burdizzo
AG
Here is my take after on 1.5 episodes.

If AP Carter did today what he did in the 1920s he would probably end up in court for theft of intellectual property. And I say that with all due respect to the Carters.
rbtexan
S
Burdizzo said:

Here is my take after on 1.5 episodes.

If AP Carter did today what he did in the 1920s he would probably end up in court for theft of intellectual property. And I say that with all due respect to the Carters.
No question. Infringement suits are out of control.
Jimbo Franchione
Aggies76
AG
I noticed that too. Back in the early days of country music, musicians would often just borrow a tune that they liked and set new lyrics to it. Could never happen today of course!
88Warrior
My only complaint is there was too much focus on Cash...He certainly has his place as one of the all timers but focusing on him in nearly all the episodes gets old...There were so many in the 60's era that got left out or were barely covered.....just one guy's opinion...
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I haven't had the chance to watch yet but I definitely intend to. Can anybody think of a Johnny Cash song with a shuffle type beat that you'd dance to in an old school Texas Dancehall? By that I mean something with a Ray Price or Johnny Bush type beat. I can't think of one and was curious.
DG-Ag
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

I haven't had the chance to watch yet but I definitely intend to. Can anybody think of a Johnny Cash song with a shuffle type beat that you'd dance to in an old school Texas Dancehall? By that I mean something with a Ray Price or Johnny Bush type beat. I can't think of one and was curious.
You raise a good point. "Jackson" maybe?
Burdizzo
AG
88Warrior said:

My only complaint is there was too much focus on Cash...He certainly has his place as one of the all timers but focusing on him in nearly all the episodes gets old...There were so many in the 60's era that got left out or were barely covered.....just one guy's opinion...

I haven't gotten that far in the series yet, but my opinion of Cash is like the Beatles. They did a lot of great things and had epic careers for a lot of reasons, but let's not get carried away to the point of overshadowing a lot of other great artists. Quite honestly I have been so overexposed to them that I have lost interest and turn them off when I hear them.
Bunk Moreland
Hard not to feature Cash so prominently when he was so large, had that many #1 singles on various charts, crossed over with other music titans, and had so many country stars during his era and after basically credit him as the reason getting into the industry.

I personally wish there was a little less time devoted to that (or better, more time with an additional episode that allowed space in the history to be devoted to some others), but I really can't complain about it. There are so many folks and we all wish someone here or there got some or a little more time. It's just so tough to do.
88Warrior
Burdizzo said:

88Warrior said:

I haven't gotten that far in the series yet, but my opinion of Cash is like the Beatles. They did a lot of great things and had epic careers for a lot of reasons, but let's not get carried away to the point of overshadowing a lot of other great artists. Quite honestly I have been so overexposed to them that I have lost interest and turn them off when I hear them.

Yes sir...I agree.
rbtexan
S
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Two different styles of music really. Cash came from more of a rockabilly/hillbilly music background. The Ray Price/Johnny Bush shuffle music was different than that. I can't recall Cash every doing a shuffle, maybe he did, but if so it would have been just a few, if any.

You also have to remember that in that era, artists had their own "sound". The really successful ones didn't sound like anyone else. Don Williams didn't sound like Waylon Jennings. Ray Price didn't sound like Jim Reeves. Patsy Cline didn't sound like Loretta Lynn, etc.
Jimbo Franchione
AggieChemist
AG
Burns' working paradigm for this series was that country music was a great melting pot of Americana music styles.

Johnny Cash was fascinated by all kinds of music, was influenced by all kinds of music, and played all kinds of music. He fit/illustrated the narrative perfectly. Add in that he was one of the single most influential artists of all time and it really wasn't a stretch to see why he was featured so prominently.
Bunk Moreland
Good point. I also forgot to mention above that his entire life and everything that went with it is probably the most complete story of country music and many of the subjects/themes of songs themselves than any other person.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
rbtexan said:

CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Two different styles of music really. Cash came from more of a rockabilly/hillbilly music background. The Ray Price/Johnny Bush shuffle music was different than that. I can't recall Cash every doing a shuffle, maybe he did, but if so it would have been just a few, if any.

You also have to remember that in that era, artists had their own "sound". The really successful ones didn't sound like anyone else. Don Williams didn't sound like Waylon Jennings. Ray Price didn't sound like Jim Reeves. Patsy Cline didn't sound like Loretta Lynn, etc.
Many thanks for the reply. I'm especially appreciative of the each artist had their own sound part. In my old age, most of what passes for country music these days sounds so much the same to me.

I was driving down the road with my wife one day and a classic Cash song came on. As we listened to the music I asked my bride if she could ever remember us dancing to a Johnny Cash song & she came up blank as well. We've danced to a lot of Willie Nelson songs, but they were usually written by him and recorded by someone else. The difference between the Willie and Johnny Bush versions of Whiskey River (written by Bush) and Undo the Right (written by Willie) are quite stark even though I can appreciate them all.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Dennis Miller has a podcast called "The Dennis Miller Option".

Today's episode had a really great long form interview with Ken Burns about this series.

Worth a listen.
Stive
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

This whole thing was A+.

They talked about him a decent amount in episode 3 (same one as Hank Williams). His run of hits in the late 40's, the romantic ballads, his good looks, etc. I think they had his grandson on talking about him as well.
sonnysixkiller
AG
Seemed like Maybelle Carter was everywhere what a talented and interesting person. I will be watching this documentary again very soon.
Claude!
rbtexan said:

You got to learn to sing like Waylon or pick like Jerry Reed
Yodel like Jeannie Shepard, write songs like Tom T
Put a cry in your voice like Haggard, learn Spanish like Johnny R
Whisper like Bill Anderson and you'll be a country star
Liquid Wrench
I've seen the criticisms about Johnny Cash elsewhere, and it surprises me. I do not think the documentary exaggerates or overstates his significance to country music.

More importantly, this is a documentary - not an anthology of everyone who ever recorded a country song. It's telling a narrative story, to which Cash is pretty central.
chico
AG
rbtexan said:

He was one of closest, dearest friends. Miss him every day.

I've told this story before, but in the summer of '85 I was struggling as a songwriter in Nashville, when my father passed back in TX. I was flat broke, driving a truck that barely made it around town - there was no way I could make it home. I went to tell Fred what had happened, because he and I were close, and he extended his condolences and asked me when I was leaving to go to TX for the funeral. I told him I wasn't going because I didn't have the money. He got up, told me "sit there and don't move", and left for about 15 minutes. When he came back, he told me that he had bought me a plane ticket to San Angelo, and he then gave me $500 cash for the trip. All of this while his record label was in bankruptcy. For years, I tried to pay him back, and he never would let me - always just said "I don't remember doing that".

I'm too old for this sort of thing, but I'll fist fight anyone who says anything bad about that man.

Sounds like the start to a great country song
gggmann
AG
I don't listen to country music much, but I really enjoyed Ken Burn's WWII and Vietnam documentaries, so I watched Episode 8 of this one last night - pretty good. I'll probably go back and watch the rest of them.
Seven Costanza
AG
I haven't watched the documentary and don't really know anything about the history of country music, so this may be a dumb question. There seems to be some similarity that I can't describe between norteno music and old school country music. Did these branch from a common tree, or one influenced the other, or are they not at all similar and I'm imagining things?
rbtexan
S
Yes.

It's discussed in episode 2.
Jimbo Franchione
Liquid Wrench
It's not your imagination. The documentary only touched on it briefly when Johhny Rodriguez said he was drawn to country music because it was close to the corido music he grew up with. Both English and Spannish folk music had ballad traditions.

In the AM radio days there were a handful of clear channel stations around the country with huge ranges, like the border blasters, and radio stations generally had less rigid formatting, so there was a little more bleedover in musical influences than the FM radio most of us grew up with.
JCA1
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

In the AM radio days there were a handful of clear channel stations around the country with huge ranges, like the border blasters, and radio stations generally had less rigid formatting, so there was a little more bleedover in musical influences than the FM radio most of us grew up with.

Not to derail, but this made me think of something that I've often wondered. Why aren't their more radio stations that are era-based as opposed to genre based? I'd kill to have a 70s station where you could hear Willie, followed by the commodores, followed by Bob Seger, then Waylon, etc., etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.