Ken Burns' Country Music documentary starts tonight!!!

17,604 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Joe Exotic
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should be excellent.
Aggies76
AG
Been waiting for this!
Belton Ag
AG
Here's a preview: It starts with Hank Williams and ends with Florida Georgia Line. A similar story arc to Game Of Thrones.
Rock1982
AG
Absolutely
GIF Reactor
AG
Belton Ag said:

Here's a preview: It starts with Hank Williams and ends with Florida Georgia Line. A similar story arc to Game Of Thrones.

Please tell me Dewey Cox makes an appearance.
ElCheAg
AG
Episode 1 was excellent, simply excellent.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

Belton Ag said:

Please tell me Dewey Cox makes an appearance.
In my dreams you're blowin' me
A kiss
BCSWguru
He needs more blankets and he needs less blankets
The Collective
AG
Belton Ag said:

TwoTimeAg
AG
Nice to see Bob Wills get recognized!
Spore Ag
I like Merle Haggards comments
OCEN99
AG
There's an accompanying Spotify playlist.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Belton Ag said:

Gomer95
AG
Will this be available to stream later? I would love to see it and don't get PBS on PS Vue.
SquirrellyDan
AG
The PBS app is free and you can stream it there.
Aggie12B
AG
Just finished watching Episode 3 "Hillbilly Shakespeare." It was an awesome episode. The series has been great, so far. I'm looking forward to the remainder of the series, but it's really going to be hard for any of the remaining episodes to top this one. Ken Burns has done a Really good job.
Liquid Wrench
I missed ep. 2, but some great stuff so far. Aside from the interviews, there are some great color photos and home movies I've never seen before. I'm familiar with most of the broad narrative information, but the research that goes into these things is awesome.
Duckhook
AG
Thought this episode, 3, was really great. Maybe because they're getting to more names and music I recognize. Great story on Hank Williams. I had always thought he died in a drunken car accident. Learned something new.
Liquid Wrench
I wonder when Burns started doing interviews for this. Haggard died in 2016. The Jimmy Key guy that talks about Hank Sr. died in 2014 - https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music/e-jimmy-key-biography
Aust Ag
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

I wonder when Burns started doing interviews for this. Haggard died in 2016. The Jimmy Key guy that talks about Hank Sr. died in 2014 - https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music/e-jimmy-key-biography
I kept thinking, "I thought Haggard died?". So thanks for the clarification.

I'm not much of a fan of Country music, but I just watched the "Hillbilly" episode and it was great. Loved following the Hank W. saga. Really liked the origins of Bluegrass section...that's always been my favorite sub-genre of country, so when the guy compared Lester Flatt to what/how we think of Eddie Van Halen, I totally connected the dots at that point. Dude was just a great guitar player, and playing faster than anyone else.

Also, loved seeing Flatt and Scruggs show up on the Beverly Hillbillies when I was a kid. I was like, "Damn, these dudes are good!"
Reno Hightower
Ep.4 meets and maybe exceeds Ep.3. The series has been fantastic! Hats off to Ken Burns!
Liquid Wrench
It's fun watching a Ken Burns documentary in which I actually know who most of the speakers are, and they're giving contemporary accounts from their lives.

I think I've seen 6 of the guest experts live: https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music/biographies
rbtexan
S

One of my closest friends, a 2nd father to me, was interviewed for this documentary. Fred Foster,he'll likely be in one of the next two segments. I know that he was interviewed several years ago. He was telling me about it a year or so ago and said that he had asked them when it was going to be finished/be on TV. He was told then that it would be fall of '19, and he laughed and said "Well, good luck with it...I doubt I'll still be around to watch it."

He passed away February 20th of this year.
Jimbo Franchione
Liquid Wrench
He was in last night's Hank Williams episode. He talked about going into a diner and breaking down crying when he heard that Hank had died.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music/fred-foster-biography
rbtexan
S
Thanks, I've only had a chance to watch the 1st episode so far. He'll probably have a bigger presence in the episodes about the late 50s-70s
Jimbo Franchione
Aggie12B
AG
Episode 4 was just as good as episode 3. Looking forward to the remaining 4 episodes. The concert at the Ryman auditorium from March 27, 2019 that follows along with the episodes with excerpts from the episodes is awesome as well. I'm really enjoying this series.
oragator
The three things that Burns dies better than anyone:

Copious detail

With that detail, he is able to Let the story tell itself.

But at the same time, his stories always show the fabric of who we are as a country.

It's a great combo.

Big Cat `93
AG
I had no idea Chet Atkins got his start with the Carters, or that they wouldn't go to the Opry without him. One of the many things I've learned watching this. Very interesting stuff.
JCA1
AG
I'm always amazed at how much "home movie" footage there is from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I was born in 1974 and there basically no video footage of my childhood.

Edit-40s, 50s, and 60s is probably more accurate.
Big Cat `93
AG
Johnny Cash's first wife looked like she could have opened a can on June if she wanted to.
Liquid Wrench
JCA1 said:

I'm always amazed at how much "home movie" footage there is from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I was born in 1974 and there basically no video footage of my childhood.

If you're any kind of baseball fan, there's a great doc called "When It Was A Game" that uses home movies from players and fans from the 30's to 50's. First time to ever see a lot of legends in color, joking around and looking like real people.

Home movie cameras were a bit more of a luxury in those days.
Txmoe
AG
In case you're interested, Ken Burns created a companion playlist on Spotify that features songs and interviews from the documentary. Been listening to it all week and it's great.

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2019-09-10/ken-burns-country-music-enhanced-playlist-experience-comes-to-spotify/
OldArmy71
AG
I've watched 1-4. It's excellent. I enjoy the old photos as much as the music, and the music is great.
Mort Rainey

JCA1 said:

If you're any kind of baseball fan, there's a great doc called "When It Was A Game" that uses home movies from players and fans from the 30's to 50's. First time to ever see a lot of legends in color, joking around and looking like real people.

Home movie cameras were a bit more of a luxury in those days.

Used to have these on VHS! Very cool footage, I think they've got color home videos going back as far as 1939!
Aggie12B
AG
I have really enjoyed the series so far. Episodes 3&4 were especially good. Looking forward to episode 5 tonight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.