Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

13,491 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Prosperdick
BurntOrangeIsBeautiful
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Enjoyed the hell out of Eddie and Jamie. They are greatness. Just fantastic all around. Laughed out loud several times with each.
PooDoo
AG
Found it odd that they didn't bleep Eddie Murphy but they did Seth Rogan.

Jerry was kinda odd with Eddie. A lot of elbowing punchlines.
schmendeler
AG
Gervais was hilarious. The bit about Christmas at Auschwitz was excellent.
policywonk98
AG
Been watching this series since season one on crackle. Love the concept. It's funny because I went to see the Seinfeld doc, "Comedian", at the theater back in 02 or so. I left the theater thinking, going around behind the scenes of comedy talking shop with comedians is brilliant, Jerry should do something with that.

The only three episodes with females I've found entertaining were Dreyfess, Fey, and Parker. Two improv/actress/writer types and an actress. I havent liked any of the episodes with female standup comics. I'm not anti female comic either. I was genuinely excited about Ellen but I found it super boring and Ellen very uncomfortable.

So far I'm enjoying the season. The chemistry between Gervais and Jerry is so good. Makes sense they would go there again. They play off each other perfectly.

I really enjoyed the Eddie Murphy one. Eddie could do standup again, he needs to get over himself and just get out there working new material like Seinfeld did after he retired his first half of career stuff. This is a new age for stand up. At this point I bet he could get paid more for one special on Amazon or Netflix than a movie. Eddie hasn't had a hit movie where he is the central character in over 15 years.
Complete Idiot
policywonk98 said:

I really enjoyed the Eddie Murphy one. Eddie could do standup again, he needs to get over himself and just get out there working new material like Seinfeld did after he retired his first half of career stuff. This is a new age for stand up. At this point I bet he could get paid more for one special on Amazon or Netflix than a movie.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/eddie-murphy-to-make-standup-comedy-comeback-for-70m-netflix-payday-report/
policywonk98
AG
Had not seen that yet. Makes sense why he did Comedians in Cars getting Coffee. It was the publicity on ramp.

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

The only three episodes with females I've found entertaining were Dreyfess, Fey, and Parker.
The Bridget Everett episode is great for the part when Jerry says exactly what he thinks of Bobcat Goldthwait. That was some LOL popcorn.
PooDoo
AG
I was guessing he was talking about Bobcat.
91_Aggie
AG
Came here to find out who he was talking about. He really hates that guy.
Redstone
AG
Very glad to see greater Diversity this season.

When I expressed concern in threads covering previous seasons, some posters scoffed: who cares? It's comedy. Get over it. Ect.

Well, Jerry cares, and good for him.
Psychag
AG
I found it very interesting what Murphy had to say about Bill Cosby.
policywonk98
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

The only three episodes with females I've found entertaining were Dreyfess, Fey, and Parker.
The Bridget Everett episode is great for the part when Jerry says exactly what he thinks of Bobcat Goldthwait. That was some LOL popcorn.

Just finished that one last night. It was an entertaining episode. Especially this moment you bring up. No love lost between Seinfeld and Goldthwait that's for sure. I felt like Seinfeld went a bit overboard. While Goldthwait will never be considered a legend of standup, he's an accomplished artist in other areas like writing, directing, and voice acting. He's still relevant behind the camera as it where.

In terms or Everett, still uncanny. Seinfeld does another good episode with a female that is not a stand-up comic.
policywonk98
AG
Psychag said:

Yeah, sad feud that's been around for 30+ years. I found Seinfelds reaction and contribution to that topic interesting. Seinfeld has always been pretty open about his admiration for Cosby, even post rape stuff. He's also been public about how Cosby encouraged him over the years. They are from the same school of thought on things like not relying
on harsh language to build or construct a good joke.

My guess is that Murphy was overly sensitive early on to an African American comedy legend's criticisms and once he blew up big he incorporated his Cosby put down bit that become such a huge hit, that solidified the animosity between the two forever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have only seen the Seth Rogen episode so far, but it seemed like Seinfeld had zero interest in talking to him. Almost like someone told him to put him on the show.
schmendeler
AG
policywonk98 said:

Psychag said:

Yeah, sad feud that's been around for 30+ years. I found Seinfelds reaction and contribution to that topic interesting. Seinfeld has always been pretty open about his admiration for Cosby, even post rape stuff. He's also been public about how Cosby encouraged him over the years. They are from the same school of thought on things like not relying
on harsh language to build or construct a good joke.

My guess is that Murphy was overly sensitive early on to an African American comedy legend's criticisms and once he blew up big he incorporated his Cosby put down bit that become such a huge hit, that solidified the animosity between the two forever.
or maybe cosby was not a great guy?
chiken
AG
how did y'all figure out who he was bad mouthing? I looked and couldn't figure it out!
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Have only seen the Seth Rogen episode so far, but it seemed like Seinfeld had zero interest in talking to him. Almost like someone told him to put him on the show.

I only watched the car overview and man, I would be be pissed/insulted if he pulled up in that for my episode.
schmendeler
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I only watched the car overview and man, I would be be pissed/insulted if he pulled up in that for my episode.
yeah that is insult by car.
dallasiteinsa02
It was a let down. Broderick is picked up in a 2018 Lamborghini Huracan.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Murphy seemed a little subdued.

Seth Rogen was painful to watch. You'd think success or James Franco would have rubbed off on him by now. Nope.

Ricky Gervais (like in his act) is very cool until he starts talking about God. But he reigned it in this time.

Brodrick was delightful. I could see myself liking him immensely IRL.

Jamie Foxx is just ****ing cool. No two ways about it.

After that, Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Season was very top heavy.
AgPediRPh
AG
Seinfeld needling Gervais about the pronunciation of pov-er-ee (poverty) had me laughing a lot.
watty
AG
Weird that everyone seemed to dislike the Rogan episode. I loved it.
AgPediRPh
AG
watty said:

His Bill Cosby/Hannibal Buress story was just...woah
Ol_Ag_02
AG
watty said:

Rogan seemed like he was so nervous about hanging with Seinfeld that he got a wee bit too high right before the show.
policywonk98
AG
watty said:

I enjoyed the episode, but probably for negative reasons. I'm not a big Rogan fan and I did kind of see the car choice as a bit of of slight, so I thought that was funny. And Seinfeld was his normal blunt brutal self, which was funny as well. I think he respects what Rogan does to a certain degree, but thinks his comedy is a lesser comedy than what he does. I know I do.

Stuff about Cosby was intriguing and to Seth's credit he seemed genuine in describing his disbelief about Cosby as a fanboy. I could relate.

And Seinfeld and Rogan in Arbys getting people to say We Have The Meats. And then chowing down on a classic roast beef sandwich in a clunker car. That's just brilliant in my book. That's what makes this show so great.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Seth Rogen seems like a genuinely nice dude.
PatAg
AG
Finding the clip of Will Ferrell clearly contemplating going up on stage like in Seth's story was a genius ending.
PatAg
AG
watty said:

Think that's because we like Seth Rogen.
PatAg
AG
I will say, I think the quality of the conversation was a lot higher when it was on youtube. Perhaps because the concept was fresh in his mind, or maybe he just has more in common with the people from those 'episodes'.
hph6203
AG
How could (basically) the Bluesmobile be an insult or slight? The show isn't about nice cars, it's about interesting cars and people are going to remember that car more than most from this season. Seinfeld isn't bringing anyone on to the show that he doesn't respect. Look no further than his commentary on Bobcat.

They had one of the better conversations from the season.
schmendeler
AG
It's supposed to be your car counterpart. That car was a POS.
Liquid Wrench
PatAg said:

I will say, I think the quality of the conversation was a lot higher when it was on youtube. Perhaps because the concept was fresh in his mind, or maybe he just has more in common with the people from those 'episodes'.
I wasn't hip to this when it was on Youtube. Are the YT episodes the "First Cup" episodes on Netflix?
Complete Idiot
schmendeler said:

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch powerplant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, and cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. And it's on a mission from God.

hph6203
AG
schmendeler said:

It's a goofy car for a goofy dude.
texasaggie04
AG
policywonk98 said:

And Seinfeld and Rogan in Arbys getting people to say We Have The Meats. And then chowing down on a classic roast beef sandwich in a clunker car. That's just brilliant in my book. That's what makes this show so great.

This is something I didn't like, funny enough. It seems that Jerry dislikes when fans want to get photos with him. He has stated that he doesn't feel that he owes anything to people. In the Broderick episode, he even chastised a person in another car for making a joke he's heard before about swapping keys. And then he goes to Arby's and asks people to say a line that you know they've been asked to say 1000 times by drunk kids. Seemed hypocritical to me.

Edit: I should add that that's why the part where he got told off by the guy who runs the old car repair shop was interesting. Seinfeld wasn't prepared, it's like he didn't know how to handle that encounter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.