Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

13,395 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Prosperdick
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm always surprised they don't just get mobbed walking everywhere. They get the occasional shout out in traffic, but nothing I'd expect. Do they just cut all those scenes out ? I imagine they go into the store first and tell everyone what to expect and keep things pretty well locked down during the shoot and then afterwards people get to take photos or say hi or maybe it's hired extras ?
Liquid Wrench
You can occasionally see police or staffers in the background. In some parts of LA or NY I think it might actually be required to have police on site for street filming (not really sure about that though).

For the most part, I think they're just selective about where they go and the production staff probably plans it with the restaurants and venues. It's probably not a big deal in affluent, non-touristy spots around LA or NY.

One of the best moments is in the Jimmy Fallon episode when his car stalls and they're getting heckled by two old broads and you can see how uncomfortable Jerry is. I imagine they carefully plan to avoid too much of that.
WestAustinAg
AG
I absolutely loved the Gervais episode.

When Jerry picks him up at Ricky's high rise. FIrst he asks Jerry to film a second more dramatic entrance into the building's lobby and Jerry shows both the request and the faux entrance. Second he leaves Ricky in the lobby while he hits the bathroom. This leaves Ricky in the uncomfortable position of standing in his own huge lobby with cameras rolling - so Ricky looks around and then starts an impromptu explanation that this grandiose marble lobby with the huge chandelier and the security guard isn't really a lobby but is just a part of his apartment. That he has been finishing out the apartment and it just lacks a bed and it will all be finished.

It was genius...and it showed just how a insecure comic in front of an open mic and a running camera REQUIRES a comic to ad lib and entertain...i cried laughing.

Then the Chinese joke followed by the discussion for the next 20 minutes about whether it will go into the show or get cut out. Gervais teases Jerry several times about doing such a racist joke and how he had the self control not to go for the obvious laugh.
JCA1
AG
It wasn't on Comedians in Cars. I think it was a Reddit chat Seinfeld did, but he was taking questions. Someone asked something about crazy/weird fame experiences or something like that and he told an awesome story. Right when Seinfeld was going off the air, he was literally the biggest TV star in the world and was looking to just get away from everything. One of his longtime buddies had just bought a car, but the car was several states away. He was going to fly out, pick up the car and drive back and invited Seinfeld along for the ride. Seemed like a good way to get away so Seinfeld went along for the ride. They spent several days basically driving cross country and just stopping in little towns to eat. They're walking through some small town downtown in the middle of nowhere and some guy passes them on the sidewalk and says "Hi, Jerry" but never breaks stride and just keeps walking.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm so glad they left the China joke in. Seinfeld is racist.
91_Aggie
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Gervais teases Jerry several times about doing such a racist joke and how he had the self control not to go for the obvious laugh.
I think Gervais was teasing Jerry about with the framework of "I had the self-control to not say something so racist out loud while you actually said it and confirmed that you are a racist"... not about an "obvious laugh".

Silky Johnston
Is Jerry a Scientologist? Read an article that said part of why he hates Bobcat is because he called him out once for dating a 17 year old and being a scientologist. I realize he was raised Jewish.
Duncan Idaho
The "you had to be there" joke was the most perfect joke ever told.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was brilliant. Gervais should have taken credit for it.
schmendeler
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've seen it on reddit multiple times in last few years. it's a great one, but I'd heard it before, obviously.
schmendeler
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Is Jerry a Scientologist? Read an article that said part of why he hates Bobcat is because he called him out once for dating a 17 year old and being a scientologist. I realize he was raised Jewish.
I have a hard time seeing him as a scientologist. he doesn't seem like he believes in anything
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Himself
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've seen it on reddit multiple times in last few years. it's a great one, but I'd heard it before, obviously.

Ypu forgot to log in to your redstone account
schmendeler
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

schmendeler said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ypu forgot to log in to your redstone account
ha! well I didn't think reddit was ******-y enough to qualify as redstone post.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
schmendeler
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

you should check out r/jokes. it's good for a laugh usually.
Jim01
AG
The interview with Eddie Murphy and Seinfeld is on the NetFlix YouTube page now.

Is it just me, or at the 35:41 mark is that Yvette Nicole Brown asking a question? And sitting next to JB Smoove!
Redstone
AG
Thanks for posting the video.

Very glad to see Seinfeld has paid increasing attention to the Diversity of his programming.
Prosperdick
AG
Jim01 said:

The interview with Eddie Murphy and Seinfeld is on the NetFlix YouTube page now.

Is it just me, or at the 35:41 mark is that Yvette Nicole Brown asking a question? And sitting next to JB Smoove!
That's definitely her, no doubt about it. I think that's JB as well but couldn't tell for sure. This was almost funnier than the actual episode.

I loved Seinfeld talking about Redd Foxx in Vegas deciding not to do his act, that was great.

Is it just me or is something up with Eddie's left eye, it looked a little off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.