Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

13,504 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Prosperdick
Redstone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You didn't see the beginning of the show? Most of this thread has been fans who were with it from the start.

To best participate most fully in the conversation, that would have been useful.

edit: this is possibly the best season. Jerry is casting a wider net for his guests, and finally seems to have taken the points people have made about Representation to heart.
schmendeler
AG
texasaggie04 said:

policywonk98 said:

And Seinfeld and Rogan in Arbys getting people to say We Have The Meats. And then chowing down on a classic roast beef sandwich in a clunker car. That's just brilliant in my book. That's what makes this show so great.

This is something I didn't like, funny enough. It seems that Jerry dislikes when fans want to get photos with him. He has stated that he doesn't feel that he owes anything to people. In the Broderick episode, he even chastised a person in another car for making a joke he's heard before about swapping keys. And then he goes to Arby's and asks people to say a line that you know they've been asked to say 1000 times by drunk kids. Seemed hypocritical to me.

Edit: I should add that that's why the part where he got told off by the guy who runs the old car repair shop was interesting. Seinfeld wasn't prepared, it's like he didn't know how to handle that encounter.
I assumed the arby's bit was a promo.
Flashdiaz
AG
the first Sebastian Maniscalco episode was good... this season, not so much. They kept cutting in with that silly Italian commercial and kept cutting off Sebastian. He was about to go into a bit if other males like being at couple functions and Jerry cuts him off and it goes to that Italian commercial.
watty
AG
Flashdiaz said:

the first Sebastian Maniscalco episode was good... this season, not so much. They kept cutting in with that silly Italian commercial and kept cutting off Sebastian. He was about to go into a bit if other males like being at couple functions and Jerry cuts him off and it goes to that Italian commercial

I'm a huge Sebastian fan and agree it was a disappointing episode. It didn't give him a chance to show his humor very much. That said, I appreciated that they showed the "company" bit and talked about that a little.

I do think the show now has shifted a bit to where it doesn't do as good a job as it used to of just capturing the humor of the conversations, the musings, the rabbit trails. It seems to be more focused on bopping around from one location to another, much more editing. I still love it though.
watty
AG
Just finished Jamie Foxx. That was one of the greatest episodes of the entire series.

To relate it to what I said in the post above, Foxx was so dang good that Seinfeld and crew had no choice but to just drop all the editing tricks and instead focus on 10 straight minutes of genuinely hilarious and/or interesting conversation. That's the epitome of what the show can be.
hph6203
AG
Might've been a promo, might've been a minor callback to Puddy and Elaine.
policywonk98
AG
91_Aggie
AG
It seems like Jerry is always trying to talk about how important his craft is, or how he defines what he believes it should be. Sometimes it feels like he's trying to teach the people he is interviewing, and many times bragging about himself.

I cringed when he started telling John Mulaney how he was the reason there was a Black Amex card in the previous season.

He's got all the fame and wealth, yet he still seems insecure.
watty
AG
I get what you're saying, but I see it differently. He is like the only guy out there that doesn't bother with false humility. We all know he's rich, he knows he's rich, he knows we know he's rich, and he's secure enough to just talk about reality without tiptoeing around or pretending it isn't reality. I like that. Why shouldn't a rich person be able to talk about being rich? Just my opinion, I think it's entertaining because it's real.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have you seen the interview with Larry King where he gets super defensive when Larry mentions (not even a question) that Seinfeld wasn't cancelled?

The guy is definitely insecure, and incredibly full of himself.
watty
AG
Yeah I've seen it many times. I don't know, he's a comedian, he's being funny. He clearly chooses to take the "yes I'm famous and we all know it" angle. Maybe he's insecure, maybe not. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I mean on some level, I'd say all these famous people are insecure and that's why they have to have constant validation.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Have you seen the interview with Larry King where he gets super defensive when Larry mentions (not even a question) that Seinfeld wasn't cancelled?

it was an asinine statement by Larry to even insinuate it. It was widely known it was by far the most popular show making the most money at that time. To ask if it was cancelled just shows Larry is either an idiot that did no research on his guest or just says stuff to illicit a response.

it's like asking the Game of Thrones creators if they got cancelled or what.
Counterpoint
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

it was an asinine statement by Larry to even insinuate it. It was widely known it was by far the most popular show making the most money at that time. To ask if it was cancelled just shows Larry is either an idiot that did no research on his guest or just says stuff to illicit a response.

it's like asking the Game of Thrones creators if they got cancelled or what.

In a different interview, Larry even calls himself stupid for asking that question. To me, Jerry didn't seem THAT upset. He just started talking in that tone he used on his show when something really dumb happened.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To me, it seemed like real anger that he tried to pass off a bit, but who knows. I never watched Seinfeld.
91_Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I actually like that response from Seinfeld.
PooDoo
AG
hph6203 said:

How could (basically) the Bluesmobile be an insult or slight? The show isn't about nice cars, it's about interesting cars and people are going to remember that car more than most from this season. Seinfeld isn't bringing anyone on to the show that he doesn't respect. Look no further than his commentary on Bobcat.

They had one of the better conversations from the season.

I guarantee you he doesn't respect that Miranda Sings girl.
GIF Reactor
AG
That was an ass whipping of an episode.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

He's also definitely a comedic genius, and it's fascinating to hear him and his guests discuss what they find funny and gain insight into their thought process. No one cares what a humble, confident comedian has to say
Liquid Wrench
Yeah, the whole point of the show is to take as much time and coaxing as it takes to get comedians talking in a way they wouldn't on a formal talk show, and then edit it down to the stuff Jerry wanted where they talk about "the craft." If somebody wants carpool karaoke, then they don't have to watch Jerry's show.
Bunk Moreland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're a Spurs fan right? If a sit down interviewer asked Pop after his career about ultimately being fired when he actually retired, or be off by 1 or 2 titles when describing his career total, do you think Pop wouldn't correct the interviewer and then have fun at their expense in a very blunt way?

It's a personality trait. Not a sign of insecurity imo.
Big Al 1992
AG
91_Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I actually like that response from Seinfeld.

That was Jerry realizing what most people already knew - Larry King was waaayyy past his prime, didn't do his homework or prepare for guests. Jerry has talked about he always prepared for Carson, Fallon etc. Very reminiscent of Kathy Lee asking Martin Short how he and his wife kept the spark going in their marriage - even though she had passed away a year and a half earlier.
Big Al 1992
AG
How good would the following have been on Jerrys's show -
Robin Williams
Sam Kinison
John Candy
Chris Farley
maca1028
That's a tough list to choose from but I'm going with John Candy.
Counterpoint
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're a Spurs fan right? If a sit down interviewer asked Pop after his career about ultimately being fired when he actually retired, or be off by 1 or 2 titles when describing his career total, do you think Pop wouldn't correct the interviewer and then have fun at their expense in a very blunt way?

That's a great analogy. Also because you know how Pop always gives those really gruff, terse in-game interviews? The interviewers know that is mostly just an act, he's not actually as mad as he seems.
policywonk98
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

How good would the following have been on Jerrys's show -
Robin Williams
Sam Kinison
John Candy
Chris Farley

This list reminds me. I would really like Seinfeld to have Jim Belushi on the show. And I would add John Belushi to your list. And yes, everyone on your list would have been fantastic. Thinking of your list also makes me think of others like Harold Ramis and John Hughes. My goodness I would have loved to hear from those guys in this format.

Throw Lenny Bruce in there as well. Seinfeld had Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks in one of the first seasons. Bruce was born around the same time as both of them and Jerry Lewis and Bob Newhart. I don't know if Newhart does anything public anymore, but Newhart would be great if he could talk with him. Its actually pretty insane all the comedic talent born in the 1920s.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I picture it going one of two ways:

or

Complete Idiot
policywonk98 said:

I don't know if Newhart does anything public anymore, but Newhart would be great if he could talk with him.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/bob-newhart/

Enjoy
policywonk98
AG
You are my new best friend. Thank you! I cant beleive I havent come across this.

And for anyone on this thread that only thinks of Bob Newhart in terms of the Bob Newhart show, do yourself a favor and search for his old stand up. In my mind he does not get talked about as much as he should when it comes to stand up legends. I think it was Seinfelds documentary back in 2002 that put the idea in my head to seek out Newhart stuff because Seinfeld and other comedians talked about him.
Liquid Wrench
Hugely influential album:

Recorded at the Tidelands club in Houston. Think I heard my parents' copy as a kid.
Professor Frick
AG
And remember, that Newhart album won Album of the Year that year at the Grammys. Not Comedy Album, ALBUM album. Like, beat all the music.
hph6203
AG
PooDoo said:

hph6203 said:

How could (basically) the Bluesmobile be an insult or slight? The show isn't about nice cars, it's about interesting cars and people are going to remember that car more than most from this season. Seinfeld isn't bringing anyone on to the show that he doesn't respect. Look no further than his commentary on Bobcat.

They had one of the better conversations from the season.

I guarantee you he doesn't respect that Miranda Sings girl.

https://www.vulture.com/2014/11/jerry-seinfeld-interview-youtube-star-miranda.html
Quote:

Jerry Seinfeld: Well, I remember sitting in my daughter's room. She said, "Hey, you want to see something funny?" I said, "Okay." And she hands me her phone, and it's this video of Miranda responding to hate-mail. I mean, she was just laughing and laughing at this and said, "You've got to see this." I said, "Is this something that you and your friend watch?" She said, "Yeah, it's really popular." I watched it, and I laughed, and I didn't think that much more about it. And then she would say, "You want to see another one?" And I would watch another one. I started to see that there was a very well-developed character there, and a very talented performer. I became very interested in that it was just as funny to me as it was to my daughter, who is 13. Normally I'm not a big fan of the crap that they watch, but this was really making me laugh. I've been around a bit, and I can tell when someone's really funny. This was on a different level comedically for me.

Seinfeld is worth nearly a billion dollars, he doesn't need this show and he isn't the type of person to allow a studio to tell him what to do. He left his own show when he got tired of doing it despite his co-stars wanting to continue. No one is telling him to have Seth Rogen on.
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

He may be full of himself, but in no way is he insecure. He is one of the all time great comedians and created the best sitcom of all time, and he knows it. Anyone who thinks Seinfeld was cancelled immediately outs themselves as someone who doesn't know what they were talking about.

Professor Frick
AG
Yep, no way a 40 year old dating a 17 year old kid is at all insecure.
BBRex
AG
I like this show primarily for discussions just like the one with Eddie Murphy, where they talk craft or tell old stories. That said, the show has not changed the image I've always had of Seinfeld that he's insecure and kind of a d!ck. It's just that often those personality traits often make for a good comedian.
Liquid Wrench
I love how people say "insecure" like it's some sort of damning judgment. Is there anyone who isn't insecure at times? I mean, I guess there are some homeless people or rural tribesmen who look completely comfortable in their own skins, but comedy generally comes from everyday insecurities and neuroses.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.