****Big Little Lies Season 2*****

11,723 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Phrasing
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ItsA&InotA&M said:

Thanks. I'll go back and rewatch.

Do you know who the guy in the bar watching Ed and Lori(?) is?

Wasn't it the guy Madeline/Witherspoon had an affair with? Could he be orchestrating Ed/Adam Scott hooking up with the chick with the boob job to try and get Madeline for himself?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it was definitely the theater teacher.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Phrasing said:

I may be wrong here, but also in the scenes from next episode we hear a voice over of someone that sounds like him saying something along the lines of "they think they can get one of you to break" or similar. That leads me to believe that Jane finds out (maybe Zoe saw him there) or he just comes clean and lets her know what he has been up to.

Did anyone else catch that or am I imagining it - it's been since Sunday.....

I I caught that as well and had the same assumption.
Teddy Perkins
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, it was definitely the theater teacher.
So I just realized the girl with the boob job is the theater teacher's wife!

Quote:

At the end of the hour, Ed goes to a bar, and he's suddenly joined by Tori Bachman, Joseph's wife. She awkwardly (or flirtatiously, I suppose) tugs at Ed's jacket collar and strokes his shoulder but then she pointedly looks over at the corner of the bar, and Ed turns to find Joseph sitting at a nearby table, watching both of them.
https://tvline.com/2019/07/07/big-little-lies-recap-season-2-episode-5-kill-me/
redline248
AG
I didn't recognize the actress as the wife from last season at the hospital, but I did think why else would theater guy be there. That scene was really weird.

I also had the impression the guy was working with the police. He seemed to recognize Bonnie right there at the end and his look didn't come off as oops much as "I dare you" or something.

One thing I don't like about this show is the choppy editing. Quick (pointless) scene with Ed and Nathan on the bike path, and next Nathan is in the hospital all cleaned up.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Txmoe said:

My one hope for this season is that it ends with Meryl Streep's character getting impaled after being thrown down a flight of stairs.

Absolute worst part of this series is the dialogue they write for the male characters. I realize the men are supposed to be Cali-flaky beta males but they sound nothing like any man I've ever encountered.

Absolute best part of this series is the music. I don't know exactly how to define the sub-genre the creators are going for but they hit it perfectly every time.
The forced encounters between Ed and Madeline's ex are cringeworthy at this point. Every episode there's some stupid chance encounter where they bicker for 30 seconds and it adds nothing to the plot.
redline248
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Txmoe said:

My one hope for this season is that it ends with Meryl Streep's character getting impaled after being thrown down a flight of stairs.

Absolute worst part of this series is the dialogue they write for the male characters. I realize the men are supposed to be Cali-flaky beta males but they sound nothing like any man I've ever encountered.

Absolute best part of this series is the music. I don't know exactly how to define the sub-genre the creators are going for but they hit it perfectly every time.
The forced encounters between Ed and Madeline's ex are cringeworthy at this point. Every episode there's some stupid chance encounter where they bicker for 30 seconds and it adds nothing to the plot.

Let's hope when Ed told him to just fck off will be the last of that
chiken
AG
That. Episode. Was. AWESOME!!!!!

The director said a likelihood of three seasons isn't high because of their schedules, but I hope they agree to it. This is good summer drama!
mazzag
AG
I think Perry killed his brother, the one Ziggy looks like, and she's going to stumble across it while questioning Streep. Maybe she even covered for Perry and let this monster go free.
TCTTS
AG
Great episode overall, but that was one of the most ridiculous trials I've ever seen in a TV show. And yes, this is basically a glorified soap, so it's not that big of deal, and was entertaining, but I half expected Perry himself to appear and start relentlessly questioning Kidman's character. Still, good set up for the finale next week.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Weird, I thought the trial was well done for a tv show
pinkdog
Nice twist for Celeste to request Mary Louise as a witness. I wasn't expecting that. I am tired of Ed and big boob (tori? I forgot her name) chick having these weird moments together.
Phrasing
AG
The "stress management" scene at the bankruptcy hearing was hilarious.
chiken
AG
I watched the episode again and in the previews for next week Meryl is hugging the twins in what looks like, a goodbye. I have a feeling she opts not to testify and just lets it all drop.

And it also looks like whats-her-nuts mom dies. I loved her "can we just kill her?" question.

I really hope this show gets renewed.
DG-Ag
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

I like the guy that plays Streep's attorney. I think he does a good job in everything he's in.
chiken
AG
Agreed! He was awesome as a DHS employee in The Proposal
Phrasing
AG
chiken said:

I watched the episode again and in the previews for next week Meryl is hugging the twins in what looks like, a goodbye. I have a feeling she opts not to testify and just lets it all drop.

And it also looks like whats-her-nuts mom dies. I loved her "can we just kill her?" question.

Yeah, I saw that as well and thought at first that was her getting custody of the boys, but thinking about it some more I am with you and bet it was a good bye. I don't think the boys would go that quietly if Kidman lost custody.

"whats-her-nuts" is my preferred nomenclature for most of the characters on this show too as I can never remember their names!

I was surprised that next episode is the finale! 7 eps seems too short! Would have liked a 10 ep season, but honestly if they didn't have that much material I am glad they didn't try and string it out with pointless plot lines. I have enjoyed each episode and thought they have done a good job this season.
Urban Ag
AG
chiken said:

I bet you're right in that the MIL ends up not testifying or gets on the stand and has a breakdown. I kind of forgot that Celeste was supposed to be some high powered attorney prior to the twins being born and opting to be a stay at home mom.

My prediction for the finale':

Celeste keeps custody but is ordered to continue therapy and monitoring by CPS (or whatever CA has)

Ed doesn't cheat, but he leaves Madeline

Renata files for divorce

Bonnie's mom dies, she cuts ties with her dad, then she tells her husband their marriage is over

Jane just keeps being Jane

It ends with them sitting on the beach drinking wine. Fitting. Every guy on this show is either useless, a predator, an a-hole, or a beta.

It's well done, it's just gotten so over the top with the characters
TCTTS
AG

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/big-little-lies-season-2-andrea-arnold
TCTTS
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

It was entertaining for sure, and did a good job of breaking down Celeste, but didn't feel at all accurate, procedurally. It turned into this over-the-top character assassination / therapy session and just felt a little goofy to me in that regard.
chiken
AG
Urban Ag said:

chiken said:

Rinata divorces her husband

Bonnie's mom dies, she cuts ties with her dad, then she tells her husband their marriage is over

I was really hoping he'd bang the big hootered woman this last episode.

OMG Rinata's reaction in the car to him cheating cracked me up so much!!! Bless her socks.

Bonnie said in that little heart-to-heart with her mother that she had such low self-worth she married someone she didn't love. Right?

Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
TCTTS said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

It was entertaining for sure, and did a good job of breaking down Celeste, but didn't feel at all accurate, procedurally. It turned into this over-the-top character assassination / therapy session and just felt a little goofy to me in that regard.

Interesting, I felt that's why it was a decent portrayal. Those custody battles are ugly mother ****ers with nothing off limits
Quinn
AG
chiken said:

Urban Ag said:

chiken said:

Rinata divorces her husband

I was really hoping he'd bang the big hootered woman this last episode.

OMG Rinata's reaction in the car to him cheating cracked me up so much!!! Bless her socks.

Bonnie said in that little heart-to-heart with her mother that she had such low self-worth she married someone she didn't love. Right?

She cut herself off and said "married someone I don't...", so you can take that as love or respect.

I thought the court room scenes were gripping. Never been to court for that type of thing, but that's how I would imagine things would go.

As for the hug in the previews, I wish they hadn't shown that, but I guess it's unclear which way things end up.
htxag09
AG
Am I the only one who has to turn on the captions for this show? I can't understand a damn word they're saying.
mazzag
AG
Dude it's age. Turn on the cc and get readers.
TopFlightReject
htxag09 said:

Am I the only one who has to turn on the captions for this show? I can't understand a damn word they're saying.
I do it for most of the HBO shows. I don't know if its HBO or me (probably me) but their sound programming seems to project a lot lower than other stations. But i do notice that you'll pick up more little things here and there. Especially if someone is talking offscreen/on a phone the CC will usually pick up the name of the offscreen voice.
SkiMo
AG
I've never had a big problem with BLL. Sharp Objects was a different story though. I couldn't see or hear it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I really really really hope that Celeste bends Mary Louise over in court. It's probably predictable or a trope or whatever but sometimes you just want to see the bad guy get got.

See Ramsay Snow.
Carlo4
AG
In a few episodes, Renata went bankrupt, lost every dollar she earned, lost a magazine spot, and found out her husband was having an affair with the nanny during a hearing. Her over the top has been so awesome to watch.

The husband's reaction when the nanny stood up was priceless.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
mazzag said:

I think Perry killed his brother, the one Ziggy looks like, and she's going to stumble across it while questioning Streep. Maybe she even covered for Perry and let this monster go free.
Perhaps wanted mommy, "all to himself"???
Kate Beckett
AG
Just watched this week's episode. So intense. Anticipating the finale.

Also, Renata with the tissues and the whole rant in car. It's a mood.
KidDoc
AG
Trial and Renata were good. Hated the ending.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chiken
AG
What? Why did you hate the ending?

That was Great. I'm sad to see it over.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Loved the end.

I said to my wife before the trial got started, "I know it would be terrible writing if Celeste just beat her on the stand (metaphorically) with a baseball bat, but it would sure be satisfying."

I guess I just picked the wrong lady....

beanbean
Yeah, I think the only redeeming thing about this season was Renata. Laura Dern killed it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.