****Big Little Lies Season 2*****

11,683 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Phrasing
pinkdog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starts tonight. First season was good, we'll see how season 2 goes. I love Madeline's character.
expresswrittenconsent
pinkdog said:

I love Madeline's character.

It's like she is playing Tracy Flick (again) as a 40 yr old.
TCTTS
AG
I realized tonight that I REALLY want a season three with all five women convicted and in prison together. Tell me you wouldn't watch the hell out of that show.
TCTTS
AG
In season four the women are released from prison and return to Monterey to find that Meryl Streep's character now runs the town with an iron fist (the elementary school principal her right hand man). The women then conspire to take back Monterey and it is a battle to the death, and for the soul of the town.
TCTTS
AG
Season five sees a new challenger to the throne: Leslie Knope, who has come to win back Adam Scott's character, revealed in a "holy sh*t" moment as Ben, whom Madeline kidnapped from Indiana and brainwashed. Knope's secret weapon? Ron Swanson, who sees Monterey as the personification of all things liberal and uses that rage to help Knope ultimately vanquish the town and save Ben.

It basically writes itself.
Urban Ag
AG
Hope the hangover isn't too terrible.

That said, for the life of me I can't see why anyone wanted a second season of this other than the gratuitous money grab. The big bad from season one is dead and done so in a terrible ending to what was otherwise a decent show.
Carlo4
AG
Fianc loves the first season. She turned it off before end of episode as it was just terrible.

Really shocked me. Said she would give it one more try next week.
TCTTS
AG
I agree that this season as a whole feels kind of tacked on or perfunctory, but I didn't find last night's episode particularly bad or annoying. It just felt like the natural progression of things. Any reason why she/you reacted so negatively?
KidDoc
AG
My wife and I both thought it was pretty bad. The writing just seems terrible. There were several scenes that just seemed incredibly awkward or meaningless. The one that sticks in my mind is the lady telling Ben Wyatt about her boob job in the grocery store.

Meryl Streep seems to be playing an autistic grandmother with no social filter at all.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
In agreement about the grocery store scene (though I assume she's coming back into play to woo Ben at some point), and yeah, Streep's autistic-ish angle was weird and awkward, but I'm willing to see where it goes or if there's some larger point. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think the episode was good, but it also didn't seem that far off from everything that came before. This show was always kind of a little weird and awkward at times. The writing felt about the same to me, it's just that we're missing the central mystery now, which admittedly is a big hole too fill - probably too big, in fact. But I am kind of interesting to see how/if these women crack under pressure, can keep the secret, etc.
One Louder
AG
It had a "Mean Girls" vibe but not in a good or entertaining way.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Watching it tonight in every scene all I could think was, "Meryl Streep is going to sunny an Emmy for this **** ."
Btron
AG
What about the photo shoot with"This is my house" playing then cut to husband power drinking playing with trains. That seemed a bit out of place.
TCTTS
AG
Wasn't there literally a photo shoot at her house last season?
pinkdog
Agreed. Last season they appeared to have a supportive marriage. Not without its arguments but at least talking things out in healthy ways. I think the show is trying to highlight changes for the characters. With Bonnie's demeanor being the most obvious. And then I have this question of jane seeming too happy.
CoolAggie
AG
HBO Now has a roundtable discussion feature with all Monterey Five and Meryl Streep talking about their characters and season two. Kinda give a preview of things to come.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Every male in this series is a weak bumbling idiot,
basically the author hates men
Phrasing
AG
I'm kinda just taking this show for what it is - drama filled, housewives-ish show that can help pass the time in the summer. I was on the fence after Episode 1, but after last night I will definitely finish it this season. Really enjoyed parts of last night.

"I used to like sitting on your face - but do you think that will ever happen again!" was my favorite line of the night.

Now the husband power drinking with trains makes a lot more sense, along with the photo shoot.

I hope Adam Scott's character doesn't come back to Maddy - he needs to leave her for good. Maybe has a fling with the boob job chick from the grocery store?

Streep piecing together everything really presents the main plot point this season - along with the scene from the future episodes with her at the police station. Looks like she might be going to try and help the police put away the Monterrey 5 for their involvement.

Anyways, not going to be in my list of Top 10 shows or anything, but I enjoyed the hour and will tune back in.
DG-Ag
AG
Phrasing said:

I'm kinda just taking this show for what it is - drama filled, housewives-ish show that can help pass the time in the summer. I was on the fence after Episode 1, but after last night I will definitely finish it this season. Really enjoyed parts of last night.

"I used to like sitting on your face - but do you think that will ever happen again!" was my favorite line of the night.

Now the husband power drinking with trains makes a lot more sense, along with the photo shoot.

I hope Adam Scott's character doesn't come back to Maddy - he needs to leave her for good. Maybe has a fling with the boob job chick from the grocery store?

Streep piecing together everything really presents the main plot point this season - along with the scene from the future episodes with her at the police station. Looks like she might be going to try and help the police put away the Monterrey 5 for their involvement.

Anyways, not going to be in my list of Top 10 shows or anything, but I enjoyed the hour and will tune back in.
Agree re: Adam Scott - boob girl definitely on the horizon.

Re: Streep - I believe she will use Kidman's pushing down of one of the boys against her. Maybe claim she's an unfit mother and sue for custody?

I like the way it's all unraveling...
TCTTS
AG
Well said and am right there with you. Last season's "Who died?" / "Who killed him/her?" is nearly on par with "Will they get caught?" this season. Just as interested to see it all play out.
pinkdog
I am glad Madeline's affair is out in the open. She almost told him last season. Surely he would suspect it. I always wonder if "Steady Eddie" might eventually explode.
WES2006AG
AG
Episode 2 was much better. Gives me hope this will be a good season. We will see.
c-jags
WES2006AG said:

Episode 2 was much better. Gives me hope this will be a good season. We will see.

Finally watched it. First episode was leaving me wondering where it was headed, but this episode brought every ugly crack out in the open. Last 10 minutes were pretty guy wretching outside of the twins and Ziggy getting together as brothers.
aggierogue
AG
I could watch this show just for the hot women.
pinkdog
Perry truly scares me when he is the pretend monster. I still can't figure out Madeline's affair. What brought her to it, but maybe there is more to be reveled later on.
Carlo4
AG
The teacher's lesson on Charlottes Web and the guy going Portlandia on the fish.
mazzag
AG
Perry probably killed his brother, that Ziggy looks like.
Carlo4
AG
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner. She thought it was very stale/slow. Last two episodes have certainly been better.

JDUB08AG
AG
Really enjoying this season after the first episode. They play these characters incredibly well.
MW03
AG

Phrasing
AG
Laura Dern is killing it this season!
Carlo4
AG
When they are at the PTA meeting, the principal thanks everyone for bringing it to their attention. Laura Dern yells out "you're welcome" in the crowd.
KidDoc
AG
I thought there was still some awkward dialogue in Ep 2 but 3 was good. I agree the Dern character is stealing the show she is pretty awesome.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MW03
AG
I just hope Laura Dern's character goes full Kenny Powers with this thing.
MD1993
AG
Wife and I loved Season 1. We just finished up Episode 3 in season two and the writing is lazy. It is like they found authors from teen books and had them write a scrip. Still will watch because of the crazy story it is but a downgrade from season one.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.