*** A&M Football/WWI Film Brainstorm ***

15,380 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PatAg
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think there is an opportunity to have a nice film out of this. There really isn't much media out there for WWI, at least not since the 60s or 70s.

Peaku Blinders is the only thing I can think of offhand that addresses it, and that's mostly just referring to it.
JABQ04
AG
Warhorse was pretty good imho.
AEK
AG
TCTTS said:

So, at this point, I'm at least convinced that THIS is basically act one. Everything about this feels right...

- We open with Legal Custodian's idea of "starting at the front lines of the western front of them rushing the German Trenches, then swiftly move to the Oklahoma Drill being done in practice, then back to more fighting in France until a soldier is seen sitting down resting, and then settling back in College Station as practice is wrapping up with a player sitting on the bench getting some water or something to that affect." This basic conceit. Football in America, the rest of the world at war. Our innocence not yet lost (at least for these, specific characters, seeing as America had technically joined the war by this point).

- From here, we meet the team, but more specifically, Bible and likely Harrison (or a Harrison-like character), get a feel for who they are, etc, over the last couple games of the season, they win the SWC, everything is literally "perfect," etc.

- Overall, it's what MW03 was talking about... "Pre-WW1 American isolationism. The 'we couldn't be touched' mentality before the Germans sunk the Lusitania is kind of perfectly articulated by American youths 'fighting' in college football games compared to those in Europe fighting the most horrific and devastating warfare the world had ever seen. The US was 50 years or so removed from the Civil War and on the brink of becoming the world's economic power. We were interested in doing us, so to speak. It wasn't until the war touched American lives through the sinking of the Lusitania that Wilson and America changed directions. So maybe the conflict is the shattering of a collective national innocence, and the struggle to regain that innocence upon returning home.

- At the end 1917, our characters are "called to war," and we go from there.

... what comes after is still of course of up for debate, but I seriously cannot think of a more perfect or appropriate act one or a lens through which to view the opening of the film.
I think you have a good idea here. You could focus on the team in 1917...go to individual stories upon entering the service, going to training, and going to war in 1918...and then bring the group back together for the 1919 season.

This will give you an opportunity to focus on them becoming a team again and working through the diversity/experiences they each faced on the battlefield.

I think for Act 2 you are looking to focus on the war experience. You have some options to look at different experiences depending if they are a Pilot or a Soldier or a Marine. Each of those experiences probably had some pivotal moments that helped shape the boys/men who were involved. You could then weave the stories together to get a more comprehensive picture of the war (maybe better for a series rather than a movie).

Perhaps you follow a player who upon entering the service was assigned to the 141st Infantry Regiment in the 36th Division. Follow them from training, to the crossing of the Atlantic, and ultimately to war. At the same time, you follow Coach Bible on his journey through Austin, Dallas, and France into the skies over the western front.

You could even pick out a pivotal moment to reinforce some thematic elements. You can take an engagement like the Battle of St. Etienne-a-Arnes near Somme-py in OCT 1918. It was the first engagement of the 36th Division in the war and there were more than a few Aggies involved. It was also very brutal and involved our green troops going against very well entrenched German forces. Not to mention the miscommunication and lack of intel that caused a lot of un necessary casualties.

Bottom line is you have plenty of opportunity there to tell the stories of war (heroism, loss, love, etc.). I am sure you can find similar instances for people in the Air Corps and Marines serving on the front.

AgGrad99
AG
Quote:

I think you have a good idea here. You could focus on the team in 1917...go to individual stories upon entering the service, going to training, and going to war in 1918...and then bring the group back together for the 1919 season.

I like that a lot.
Ulrich
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

I like that a lot.

I also liked End Game.
TCTTS
AG
All very well said, and yeah, that should definitely be the basic play.

I think you pick two or three people to follow into war - Coach Bible and that Harrison guy (or a version of him) for sure, and then maybe someone else. Two or three different fronts, each story more Hurt Locker in nature, intimate/tense situations, concentrating on their psyches more than anything, etc. Keep each thread relatively small and character driven. Then MAYBE pick one character to follow back home; a girlfriend or a wife or someone. Like four or five scenes tops, just to break up the war stuff.

I think each of the two or three war threads culminates in act three, and then the last 15 minutes or so, if that, is everyone back together in College Station, and I think you could get across the "changed men" vibe pretty economically there.
MathNewman06
AG
The Aggies who went to war could also have scenes as fans in the stands at Kyle in 1917 and 1919, if there needs to be a connection between the football and war storylines for non-football players.
TCTTS
AG
If we go this general route, how would you guys feel if the war threads were slightly embellished? Like, we know Bible was a pilot. But say we never find any more info than that. Or, we know his squadron, and we research some mission that squadron went on, but we have no confirmation of exactly what Bible did or didn't do in terms of specifics. If we then find some story of a pilot in a super tense situation - or invent a super tense situation - and give it to Bible, do you guys think most everyone would be cool with that? Or is it one of those things where Aggies and other war buffs come out of the woodwork and are like, "He never did that!" I'm not talking about making him some big hero or anything, just simply putting him in a tense, intimate war scenario that we'll never know for sure if he was a part of or not. Granted, adding these layers and fudging things like this is what movies like this do, so I'm not too worried, just gauging how you guys would feel, and how you think Aggies would feel in general (because the general movie goer won't care).
'03ag
TCTTS said:

If we go this general route, how would you guys feel if the war threads were slightly embellished? Like, we know Bible was a pilot. But say we never find any more info than that. Or, we know his squadron, and we research some mission that squadron went on, but we have no confirmation of exactly what Bible did or didn't do in terms of specifics. If we then find some story of a pilot in a super tense situation - or invent a super tense situation - and give it to Bible, do you guys think most everyone would be cool with that? Or is it one of those things where Aggies and other war buffs come out of the woodwork and are like, "He never did that!" I'm not talking about making him some big hero or anything, just simply putting him in a tense, intimate war scenario that we'll never know for sure if he was a part of or not. Granted, adding these layers and fudging things like this is what movies like this do, so I'm not too worried, just gauging how you guys would feel, and how you think Aggies would feel in general (because the general movie goer won't care).
Randolph Duke will sue.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
I confess, I have no idea who Randolph Duke is (and I've seen him mentioned twice now as well)...
'03ag
Deranged horn fan who rants all over various boards about how awful A&M is. One of his favorite ramblings is about how A&M's 12th Man trademark is fraudulent and the bulk of the story is made up. Has threatened all sorts of legal action.

He'll legit lose his mind if this movie gains any traction and so much as one bootlace isn't perfectly accurate.
jeffk
AG
Heir to the mayonnaise empire.
Post removed:
by user
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

I confess, I have no idea who Randolph Duke is (and I've seen him mentioned twice now as well)...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/12th-man-tradition/

Here is a full article from Texas Monthly about the loser.
Ulrich
The most gripping, tense, memorable scene in Saving Private Ryan is either the initial beach landing, where no individual does anything but what everyone does, and the knife fight/ cowardice scene, which is completely irrelevant to the war.

I think a good writer/ director can wring plenty of drama and emotion out of scenes that are well within authorial discretion.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. And yeah, agreed.
TCTTS
AG
So how about this...

Instead of trying to research the hell out of exactly what Coach Bible did during the war (research that most likely doesn't even exist), or trying to figure exactly where each of these guys were stationed (though we seem to have a broad idea), etc., if anyone knows of any great little WWI stories or resources, post that kind of stuff instead. I'm not talking about big, sweeping battles (though I guess those are pertinent as well), rather, things that could be the WWI equivalent of the more intimate Hurt Locker type face-offs, or the knife fight in Saving Private Ryan. Tense situations - rather than big, strategic battles - that a WWI soldier might have found themselves in. Then I can pour through those stories or resources and eventually graft versions of those onto these characters. Again, I wouldn't have Coach Bible heroically taking out a bunch of planes or anything like, but what's a tense situation a pilot like himself could have easily found himself in that was consequential to his life and his psyche, but not incredibly consequential to the war itself? That seems to be the best way to go about this - kind of catering these tense war situations/scenarios to the arcs that each of the two or three main characters needs to have.
'03ag
Do you even Flyboys yo?
TCTTS
AG
maca1028
I wonder if the opening act should include something from Bible's upbringing/past which led to him to not only making the decision to step away from a successful head coaching job to serve his country but convincing his players to do the same.
I did a quick wiki search on Bible. In college he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon. One of the main chapter focuses was community service and one notable member was FDR who was a member of the Alpha chapter around 1905. Maybe there's something to build off of, maybe not.

Also, I feel like there's a title in this statement somewhere.
Quote:

we're told that they went undefeated and un-scored upon yet again
MW03
AG
TCTTS, I know you're a Dan Carlin fan, so I'm sure this is done already. But on the off chance you haven't got this on your radar, his series on WW1 (Blueprint for Armageddon) is must listen to research material for what the war was actually like. That series lit my hair on fire.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/

MW03
AG
TCTTS said:

So how about this...

Instead of trying to research the hell out of exactly what Coach Bible did during the war (research that most likely doesn't even exist), or trying to figure exactly where each of these guys were stationed (though we seem to have a broad idea), etc., if anyone knows of any great little WWI stories or resources, post that kind of stuff instead. I'm not talking about big, sweeping battles (though I guess those are pertinent as well), rather, things that could be the WWI equivalent of the more intimate Hurt Locker type face-offs, or the knife fight in Saving Private Ryan. Tense situations - rather than big, strategic battles - that a WWI soldier might have found themselves in. Then I can pour through those stories or resources and eventually graft versions of those onto these characters. Again, I wouldn't have Coach Bible heroically taking out a bunch of planes or anything like, but what's a tense situation a pilot like himself could have easily found himself in that was consequential to his life and his psyche, but not incredibly consequential to the war itself? That seems to be the best way to go about this - kind of catering these tense war situations/scenarios to the arcs that each of the two or three main characters needs to have.

For sure. In that scenario, even having your protagonists be something of the eyes of the viewer to narrate the heroics/atrocities of others could be impactful enough in a war scene.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I was going to make a joke about NDAs but thought better of it and just wanted to say this is a great OP and thread. I have nothing creative to add but looking forward to seeing where it goes.
TCTTS
AG
To be completely honest, I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks that only serve to show who a character is or where they came from. I'm of the mindset that flashbacks should only serve to move the plot forward in some way, or to cause one character to learn something that impacts their choices/the plot going forward. I would rather "character" be revealed through their choices, actions, etc. in the present day.

That said, this is all great info to know and can absolutely help to inform his character and could even be used in dialogue ("When I was in college...").
TCTTS
AG
That's a great idea. Totally forgot about Carlin as a resource.

We actually came super close to optioning his episode about The Battle of Jutland a couple years back. We had convinced him, he was all set to go - I think we were the first company he'd agreed to option an episode to - but then at the last minute his agent talked him into trying to set up his entire library/show with a studio instead. It sounded like his agent realized that we would have basically been Sony to his Spider-Man, which could have potentially gotten in the way of him selling Marvel to Disney, if that makes sense. I have no idea if he ever went through with that, but his agent saw dollar signs, and kicked us to the curb.
Liquid Wrench
I tend to think that flashbacks can work when they fill in the plot from a point of view, but fall flat and awkward when then show us something about the character's personality.
JABQ04
AG
Some tense situations a WWI soldier would find himself in:

For an infantryman; a gas attack. Jus minding your own business in your trench when someone yells GAS GAS GAS, starts clanging the warning on an empty artillery shell canister. Having to thrown on your mask as your being enveloped in a cloud of chemicals. Field of vision is suddenly reduced in half.

Being under an artillery barrage. Where the term shell shock comes from. Men just broke under artillery barrages. Their minds cracked and many were left wrecks of their former selves. For a point of reference, the British fired over 1 million artillery shells in a week in preparation of the Somme Offensive in 1916. Continuous shell explosions and the ground rumbling. Trenches collapse, men blown apart or simply vaporized if a direct hit. Men buried alive by debris raining down.

For pilots, constantly looking for enemy fighters. Not like the movies, an enemy swoops in and fires a bird or two and is gone. Hard to see and track. Pilots constantly had to be running their heads and scanning, which is why the WWI pilot is typically pictured with a scarf, to protect his neck from chafing. Weapons malfunctions, damaged planes trying to stay aloft. No parachutes for stricken planes.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Gold book, Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas; a tribute to her loyal sons who paid the supreme sacrifice in the World War.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Here's a website that has archives of letters from soldiers from WW1. Lot's of good info on day to day stuff and intimate stories of things they faced

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/resources/letters-first-world-war-1915/
jeffk
AG
Cushing Library has loads of good photos from that period at A&M and likely quite a few of the football team and coaches. I think there was a good collection of WWI stories as well.
rednecked
AG
I can't wait for this movie to come out!!! How long do we have to wait? Like a month? Cause I want it now!!
'03ag
rednecked said:

I can't wait for this movie to come out!!! How long do we have to wait? Like a month? Cause I want it now!!
I'll set the over/under at a 2028 premiere.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.