*** A&M Football/WWI Film Brainstorm ***

7,798 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TCTTS
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Potential dialogue for that final scene:

Setting: Pregame speech before 1919 season opener (inside Aggie locker room):

• BIBLE: Men, we have all been through a lot since we last stepped onto the gridiron. Compared with our long trip to Europe, this is but a child's game we're playing...

(looks around room at the by-now-familiar faces of the veterans of the 1917 season and 1918 war) (pauses longer on the faces of our protagonists)

• BIBLE: Now, we may not know much about the future, but we know two things. No one can top what we did in 1917 - undefeated and unscored upon in eight games just doesn't happen, men. You willed it into being, and I can't expect any more from you than that.
  • BIBLE: We also know that what we went through in Europe won't ever happen again. It truly was the war to end all wars. Thank God that's behind us.

• BIBLE: Now go out there and show the nation what Fightin' Texas Aggies are all about. Strive for perfection, and make your families proud!

VOICEOVER: Bible was wrong on both counts - - in less than 20 years, the world was at war again, and less than 4 months later, the Aggies had done the unthinkable - bettered their 1917 team results with a record of 10-0, once again, UNBEATEN and UNSCORED UPON.
meatsweats
AG
Just to give a little feel for the era this is happening and maybe provide some background or B footage
Audio Radio broadcasting at this time wasn't out yet, however there was an amateur radio club on campus and a Ham Radio transmitter in Bolton Hall. I have seen both where our 1919 and 1921 tu games were the first radio broadcast of a college football game anywhere. Creative liberties gives us 1919. Now this radio broadcast was MORSE Code based since voice based radio wasn't out yet. So the students and faculty developed a code for simple plays. Ie: T" represented Texas, "A" Aggies, "B" ball, "Y" yard line, "FP" forward pass, "G" gain, and "L" loss. So "TB A 45Y" translated to "Texas ball on the Aggie 45 yard line." You could even maybe incorporate some flashback scenes of a Morse code operator on the battlefield under fire, going back to his operator job in the press box. This era is fascinating to me.

Or Imagine a student , dirty with a cigarette hangin out his mouth, trampling thru a muddy campus field laying down a wire from cable reel. He is going from the press box all the way to the 3rd floor of Bolton Hall getting ready for our big game. An option for opening credits?

http://www.brazoscountyhistory.org/sites/default/files/EarlyFootballBroadcast.pdf
TCTTS
AG
Wow, this would be awesome. GREAT little nugget.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
jeffk said:

Also, TCTTS - can we get at least a passing mention to the Influenza Pandemic of 1918? One of the scariest disease outbreaks of recorded history and it never gets any mention.
Knew a man who was at A&M then. At a meeting they were asked if anyone had

experience working at a funeral home as they needed help . 5 0r 6 including my friend

volunteered .

He said he helped bury ALL of these volunteers! FLU !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
I bleed maroon
AG
meatsweats said:

Just to give a little feel for the era this is happening and maybe provide some background or B footage
Audio Radio broadcasting at this time wasn't out yet, however there was an amateur radio club on campus and a Ham Radio transmitter in Bolton Hall. I have seen both where our 1919 and 1921 tu games were the first radio broadcast of a college football game anywhere. Creative liberties gives us 1919. Now this radio broadcast was MORSE Code based since voice based radio wasn't out yet. So the students and faculty developed a code for simple plays. Ie: T" represented Texas, "A" Aggies, "B" ball, "Y" yard line, "FP" forward pass, "G" gain, and "L" loss. So "TB A 45Y" translated to "Texas ball on the Aggie 45 yard line." You could even maybe incorporate some flashback scenes of a Morse code operator on the battlefield under fire, going back to his operator job in the press box. This era is fascinating to me.

Or Imagine a student , dirty with a cigarette hangin out his mouth, trampling thru a muddy campus field laying down a wire from cable reel. He is going from the press box all the way to the 3rd floor of Bolton Hall getting ready for our big game. An option for opening credits?

http://www.brazoscountyhistory.org/sites/default/files/EarlyFootballBroadcast.pdf
Of course, that same student could be pictured in an interspersed one-year 1918 flashback to him laying down communication wire on the western front of WWI, with similar imagery. That would also be a way to have the student body represented in addition to the football team. Could even be one of the main characters that's followed in both settings. Outstanding.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Rip Collins played on the 17 team - "pronounced by many to be the best kicker alive " per yearbook.

Averaged 62 yds in one game - there is a picture of his extra point - drop kick !

I played in 10th grade against his son- saw these sky high punts in warmup and couldn't

believe my eyes . He later tried out at A&M but only made B team.

Rip '17 became Sheriff of Travis County - 60s probably.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Bockaneer
AG
Bible always seemed an enigma to me with his success at A&M but then known for Nebraska and Texas... seems like going to war with his team would've been enough to keep him here so now I'm even more intrigued by his departure.

and the "they shall not pass" puts me straight to Monty Python and the Holy Grail - probably the only movie I've seen in the double digits
A.G.S.
AG
Just saw this, but after reading through the last 6 pages it's definitely an interesting idea.

Given the time period and character development lines postulated, I think I have the perfect movie title:

"Legends of the Fall Football Seasons"

Be awesome if the main protagonist had a rival on the Baylor team he hated....
Rex Racer
AG
Dana X. Bible wrote a book that you can get used on Amazon for between $20-$30. It might have some insight into his personality and philosophy on life. I'm not sure.

Championship Football: A Guide for Player Coach and Fan

TCTTS
AG
One step ahead of you...

Rex Racer
AG
Ha ha! Nice!
'03ag
TCTTS said:

One step ahead of you...

Are you the one that gave it a 5 star review ?
Blatant Disregard
TCTTS
AG
Ha, not me. Strangely enough, my mom, of all people, had this copy for years. I come from a big Aggie family, with a deep Aggie history, and my parents and my grandparents have always had tons of Aggie books and what not all over their houses. This was one of them, and she gave it to me years ago when I first brought up the idea of this project.
Page 6 of 6

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.
Only 2 days left to sign up for the Early Signing Day Special!
The 2019 regular season has wrapped and we’ve officially entered the early signing period stretch as the Ags hope to sign most of their elite 2020 recruiting class. In other words, it's a great time to try out TexAgs Premium! Sign up today and you can give TexAgs Premium a try until December 21st for only $1. The last chance to take advantage of this offer is Saturday, December 7th.