*** A&M Football/WWI Film Brainstorm ***

15,389 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PatAg
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

MW03 said:

Another angle is Pre-WW1 American isolationism. The "we couldn't be touched" mentality before the Germans sunk the Lusitania is kind of perfectly articulated by American youths "fighting" in college football games compared to those in Europe fighting the most horrific and devastating warfare the world had ever seen. The US was 50 years or so removed from the Civil War and on the brink of becoming the world's economic power. We were interested in doing us, so to speak. It wasn't until the war touched american lives through the sinking of the Lusitania that Wilson and America changed directions.

So maybe the conflict is the shattering of a collective national innocence, and the struggle to regain that innocence upon returning home. Maybe shown through the eyes of Chicken Harrison who very personally felt the changing of the World following 1918 as a larger call to duty.

Love that. I think this is basically what I was trying to get at with the thematic "perfection" stuff I was touching on in the OP, but this much better said. Football, via the prism of this movie, is merely the way in which we display America's innocence pre-war. That's a great, thematic reason for including football and war in the same movie.

For thematic purposes, I really like the whole pre-war innocence imagery of "our lives were such that we had to create conflict through sport because we were so removed from conflict, and then when we learned what conflict was it broke our notions of what our lives had been, and what perfection means."
TCTTS
AG
So, at this point, I'm at least convinced that THIS is basically act one. Everything about this feels right...

- We open with Legal Custodian's idea of "starting at the front lines of the western front of them rushing the German Trenches, then swiftly move to the Oklahoma Drill being done in practice, then back to more fighting in France until a soldier is seen sitting down resting, and then settling back in College Station as practice is wrapping up with a player sitting on the bench getting some water or something to that affect." This basic conceit. Football in America, the rest of the world at war. Our innocence not yet lost (at least for these, specific characters, seeing as America had technically joined the war by this point).

- From here, we meet the team, but more specifically, Bible and likely Harrison (or a Harrison-like character), get a feel for who they are, etc, over the last couple games of the season, they win the SWC, everything is literally "perfect," etc.

- Overall, it's what MW03 was talking about... "Pre-WW1 American isolationism. The 'we couldn't be touched' mentality before the Germans sunk the Lusitania is kind of perfectly articulated by American youths 'fighting' in college football games compared to those in Europe fighting the most horrific and devastating warfare the world had ever seen. The US was 50 years or so removed from the Civil War and on the brink of becoming the world's economic power. We were interested in doing us, so to speak. It wasn't until the war touched American lives through the sinking of the Lusitania that Wilson and America changed directions. So maybe the conflict is the shattering of a collective national innocence, and the struggle to regain that innocence upon returning home.

- At the end 1917, our characters are "called to war," and we go from there.

... what comes after is still of course of up for debate, but I seriously cannot think of a more perfect or appropriate act one or a lens through which to view the opening of the film.
Quad Dog
AG
The 1920 Long Horn has a picture of the team with the caption "Undefeated and Unscored Upon" which is a little long for a title, but "Undefeated" could work.
TCTTS
AG
MW03 said:

TCTTS said:

GREAT find. That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I think you could still actually tell this from Bible's point of view, but Harrison is maybe the second lead, and after the war, he has PTSD (or something along those lines), and part of the story is about Bible trying to help him in whatever way he can, and through football is one of the ways he does that. Let me think on this, but good stuff for sure.

The PTSD scenario checks a huge box for hard men coming back from that war "shell shocked" and trying to wrap their heads around the frivolity of daily mundane life, even if that daily mundane life is competing at the highest collegiate level for championships (the 1919 team was ultimately awarded a retroactive national title by the National Championship Foundation).

In three acts, that process would be:

Act 1 - the thrill of playing undefeated football in 1917
Act 2 - Conflict, literally depicted by fighting the WW1 in 1918, and then personal conflict in coming to grips with the frivolity of life at home
Act 3 - Resolution of the personal conflict by finding meaning again in daily life through the lens of service, and articulated by attaining perfection of the football

Bingo.
TCTTS
AG
MW03 said:

MW03 said:

TCTTS said:

GREAT find. That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I think you could still actually tell this from Bible's point of view, but Harrison is maybe the second lead, and after the war, he has PTSD (or something along those lines), and part of the story is about Bible trying to help him in whatever way he can, and through football is one of the ways he does that. Let me think on this, but good stuff for sure.

The PTSD scenario checks a huge box for hard men coming back from that war "shell shocked" and trying to wrap their heads around the frivolity of daily mundane life, even if that daily mundane life is competing at the highest collegiate level for championships (the 1919 team was ultimately awarded a retroactive national title by the National Championship Foundation).

In three acts, that process would be:

Act 1 - the thrill of playing undefeated football in 1917
Act 2 - Conflict, literally depicted by fighting the WW1 in 1918, and then personal conflict in coming to grips with the frivolity of life at home
Act 3 - Resolution of the personal conflict by finding meaning again in daily life through the lens of service, and articulated by attaining perfection of the football
In other words, The Hurt Locker, only with grocery shopping replaced by two-a-days and instead of returning to war, they return to their lives with Bible.
YES. Perfect comparison.
TCTTS
AG
For those counting at home, MW03 might not only be setting himself up for some kind of credit, he might eventually be writing this thing...
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

I feel like a lighthearted adventure in what is considered widely as the worst war experience of all time wouldn't the most well received.
Something more like Inglorious Bast@rds, was my thought...not slapstick.

But I hear you.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
What about "The Thrill of Victory" for a title. Since that always makes me think the agony of defeat as well. We won the war and the games. the agony is the rest...
'03ag
What is the conflict y'all see post return? Like specifically. Is it, do I really want to keep playing this dumb sport? With other people pressuring them to play, but it seems pointless? Maybe one of their teammates is dead and no one seems to care.

Maybe Bible thinks all the rah rah stuff he talked about pre war was sleazy now. Maybe he feels like a player died because he made them feel invincible.

This is the stuff that hangs me up, and without it being really well done it turns into bad football movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

"They Shall Not Pass" is actually an awesome title, too. Or would everyone and their dog go straight to Lord of the Rings?
Not a terrible thing. Can one of our characters run into Tolkien on the battlefield?

(Yes, I just watched Tolkien.)
TCTTS
AG
The more I think about it, The Hurt Locker comp solves a ton of issues. The war aspects of that movie weren't about big, strategic, heroic battles that turned the tide of the war or anything like that. The war aspects were incredibly personal and contained. It was all about Renner's character's psyche, and everything was in serviced of his psyche. So as long as you have tense little moment or standoffs or skirmishes for two or three of these characters - scenes that are strictly in service of their respective psyches - it all works perfectly. And no need for them to be part of any big, memorable, bigger-picture war moments.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

"They Shall Not Pass" is actually an awesome title, too. Or would everyone and their dog go straight to Lord of the Rings?
Not a terrible thing. Can one of our characters run into Tolkien on the battlefield?

(Yes, I just watched Tolkien.)
There and back again, a football tale
Luke Smith
So... I found this article

https://www.insitebrazosvalley.com/lifestyle/aggies-in-the-great-war-who-lives-who-dies-who-tells-their-story/

At the bottom it says
Quote:

For more information visit www.brazoscountyworldwar1.com
Which then takes you to a sex website. So. Don't do that
jeffk
AG
CoachRTM said:

jeffk said:

Ok, fine! I'll be in your movie.

You and I could be un-named assistant coaches. Need to start researching 1917 position and conditioning drills.

Sounds good. I'll try to locate some tighter shorts.
Ulrich
This is going to sound overly aggie, but stick with me because that's not the point.

Have you considered some sort of "many years later" scene at the end (or beginning)? If so, I really like the idea of using the century tree. It was already a good size tree in 1917 (see the link below), so it could figure as a sort of pastoral/peaceful location before and after and WAY after the war. I also like the idea of using footage of old interviews, or maybe a descendent reading a diary or secondary source, during the beginning credits. Combine the ideas, and you potentially fade from this huge, gnarled tree back in time to a more youthful (innocent) tree. Or vice versa during ending credits.

Does that provide a visual cue of a theme of growth and change, weathering storms and time, turning from just another tree into this incredibly sheltering/protective tree, etc.? Or is this laying it on too thick?

https://www.aggienetwork.com/century-tree-125/
FightinTexasAg15
AG
These could be used for scenes
Quote:

The university administration excused nearly all of the class of 1917 and other students from classes so that they could enter an officer training course at Camp Funston (later redesignated Camp Stanley), in Leon Springs, Texas. Graduation was also relocated to the training camp that year, and the faculty handed out Honor War Certificates, which did not serve as diplomas, but were given to students in good academic standing.
Quote:

During the war, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas served as a federal army training base. By September 1918, it had trained 4,000 soldiers in specialized skills such as auto mechanics, radio signaling, meteorology, horseshoeing, blacksmithing, carpentry, surveying and topographical drafting. Cadets were getting their normal schooling at an accelerated rate with direct ties to what was going on in the war. Simultaneously, thousands of regular army soldiers were undergoing training on campus.

https://leadbyexample.tamu.edu/story-ww1archives.html

Quote:

In 1920, Live Oak trees were planted around what is now known as Simpson Drill Field. During a simple ceremony in February of that year, they were dedicated as living monuments to the Aggies who paid the ultimate sacrifice in service to their country. Markers that listed the name, class year, site and date of death of the fallen Aggies were added to the trees later.
I also feel like this could be used for something. Maybe planting the trees is one of the final scenes, and then in the credits you sow the trees today?
Ulrich
TCTTS said:

Is this about Franchione's defensive recruits' academic struggles?
nickstro66
AG
I wrote a couple of papers on Texas A&M's involvement in WW1 for one of my history seminar classes. I'm going to go back through them and see if there are any connections to the football team. There might also be some professors worth talking to as well.
Liquid Wrench
Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but have you considered reaching out to War Hymn Aggie? He's Pinky's grandson (or great-grandson?) and has a lot of his personal items and stories. https://texags.com/account/profile/23186

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2624717/replies/42993708
'03ag
Ulrich said:

This is going to sound overly aggie, but stick with me because that's not the point.

Have you considered some sort of "many years later" scene at the end (or beginning)? If so, I really like the idea of using the century tree. It was already a good size tree in 1917 (see the link below), so it could figure as a sort of pastoral/peaceful location before and after and WAY after the war. I also like the idea of using footage of old interviews, or maybe a descendent reading a diary or secondary source, during the beginning credits. Combine the ideas, and you potentially fade from this huge, gnarled tree back in time to a more youthful (innocent) tree. Or vice versa during ending credits.

Does that provide a visual cue of a theme of growth and change, weathering storms and time, turning from just another tree into this incredibly sheltering/protective tree, etc.? Or is this laying it on too thick?

https://www.aggienetwork.com/century-tree-125/
I thought of something similar, but in the end you're right, it feels overly Aggie. This movie would end up starring Kirk Cameron.

Ulrich
I'm trying to think of additional layers of visual symbolism to help tell the story of how and why they changed but also endured, and went back to what they were doing before. What might be some other ideas to show that theme without a character coming out and saying it?
tx1c
AG
I have nothing to add yet.
Just want to have a presence here until I do.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome. All good stuff and yeah, ripe for a scene or two.
TCTTS
AG
Nice!
TCTTS
AG
That's a good idea. Let me see where the story goes first. Before approaching anyone like that I'd just want to have at least a slightly better idea of what this is all about, what's going to be included, etc.
Ulrich
As long as there is a scene where a bookish soldier with an exaggerated British accent starts scribbling madly in his journal when he hears Pinky say "they shall not pass", everything is cool.
TCTTS
AG
'03ag said:

What is the conflict y'all see post return? Like specifically. Is it, do I really want to keep playing this dumb sport? With other people pressuring them to play, but it seems pointless? Maybe one of their teammates is dead and no one seems to care.

Maybe Bible thinks all the rah rah stuff he talked about pre war was sleazy now. Maybe he feels like a player died because he made them feel invincible.

This is the stuff that hangs me up, and without it being really well done it turns into bad football movie.
Yeah, I'm going back and forth between that "struggle" being a big plot point vs. something relatively "simple" at the very end. Structurally, the third act of film shouldn't be when everyone's sitting around grappling with their emotions. It obviously needs to be a climax of sorts. That said, I need to watch The Hurt Locker again and see how they approach the third act. I can't remember. I just remember the final scene being Renner going back to war, which means he was at home in the third act, same as this would be.
TCTTS
AG
Ulrich said:

As long as there is a scene where a bookish soldier with an exaggerated British accent starts scribbling madly in his journal when he hears Pinky say "they shall not pass", everything is cool.

A "tolkien" British white guy, if you will.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's what I'm tolkien about.
FarmerJohn
AG
All the flags on the top of Kyle Field represent someone that fell in WWI. The protagonist, having been through the innocent 1917 team and then the 1919 team might have some interest in those, though they were surely put up sometime later. Not sure how melancholy you want to go with the end, but the fact is a lot of people attending games there 100 years later don't know why they are up. Or you could go the other way because a lot of people do know why those flags are flying a century later.
MW03
AG
TCTTS said:

For those counting at home, MW03 might not only be setting himself up for some kind of credit, he might eventually be writing this thing...
HA! It just so happens I hate my job today is all.
AgGrad99
AG
you should find some old A&M football practice film, slow it down, and dub in audio, and include it as part of the movie.

It would be like "They shall not grow old", but with a slightly different title.
MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

The more I think about it, The Hurt Locker comp solves a ton of issues. The war aspects of that movie weren't about big, strategic, heroic battles that turned the tide of the war or anything like that. The war aspects were incredibly personal and contained. It was all about Renner's character's psyche, and everything was in serviced of his psyche. So as long as you have tense little moment or standoffs or skirmishes for two or three of these characters - scenes that are strictly in service of their respective psyches - it all works perfectly. And no need for them to be part of any big, memorable, bigger-picture war moments.
I think this is the right way to go (smaller/more personal struggles as opposed to grand/dramatic battles). If so, I think that would obviously require more focus on the individual as well so the audience would connect with the psyche more. I know I'm not saying anything you aren't already thinking, but going this route would require the story to be even more character focused on one or very few individuals as opposed to the overall struggle of a group. Hurt Locker receives a lot of hate for a bunch of different reasons, but this structure is immediately what popped into my mind.
Big Al 1992
AG
TexAgs posters lining up for residuals and back end money.
bobinator
AG
FarmerJohn said:

All the flags on the top of Kyle Field represent someone that fell in WWI.
This is actually not true, though a lot of people think it is. Probably one of the more widespread 'urban myths' about Texas A&M. (We tried to verify that tale when writing a new version of the campus tour about 10 years ago and the university archivist couldn't find that anywhere either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.