*** A&M Football/WWI Film Brainstorm ***

15,368 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PatAg
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found this article on the actual teams (highlighted returning players):

https://www.myaggienation.com/athletics_history/football/year_by_year/article_50963f1c-f6f6-11e2-9da7-001a4bcf887a.html

• M.H. "Ox" Ford at tackle
  • Heine Weir at quarterback
  • Jack Mahan (Fullback)
  • Higginbotham (running back)
  • J.D. McMurrey (Tackle)
  • Jim Kindrick
  • Wilson & McKnight at Guard
  • Gouger & Alexander at End
  • Anderson (center)
  • Griesenbeck
  • Elam (2nd qb)
  • Gilmore
  • McClintock

.https://www.myaggienation.com/athletics_history/football/year_by_year/article_9d4f68d0-f6f4-11e2-b761-001a4bcf887a.html
  • Jack Mahan (Fullback)
  • E.S. Wilson (Defense)
  • Weir (QB) / Elam (QB)
  • Wilson (Guard)
  • Alexander (End)
  • Gouger (End)
  • Knickerbocker
  • Dwyer

Notables that can be incorporated:
  • 1919 QB broke his shoulder, though, and was lost for the year
  • Higginbotham scored the team's lone touchdown in a 7-0 victory over Texas
Quad Dog
AG
All of the old yearbooks are online. I'll have to look through them later for information.
1918 Long Horn Football Section
1919 Long Horn Football Section
1920 Long Horn Football Section
Legal Custodian
AG
It sounds to me the main story theme you're going for is the innocence of finishing the 1917 season so well and almost easy and contrasting the dichotomy of the hardships of war.

1st Act is as you said. Then the second act builds the story of how you can go undefeated and unscored upon in football, but in War/Life you are destined to lose some battles. Its shown in the fact of them losing some of their buddies in the war, getting shot down, etc. but eventually prevailing in their mission in honor of their fallen friends. Then in Act 3 theyre getting ready for the first game with serious almost determined looks on their faces (some might even be holding a token of their fallen friend while listening to Coach Bible talk) and then it ends with them running out of the tunnel like you said.

Or it could be pretty cool to see it end as a flashback to one of the guys in the trenches talking to Pinky as he writes the War Hymn and him asking Pinky about it. Ending with Wilson revealing the name of the song.
CCAg95
AG
We are missing the obvious connection of Pinky and Dana both vying for the love of Kate Beckinsale. Pinky goes off to war first and therefore Kate won't commit to Dana while Pinky is in France. This is the driver for why Dana then goes off to war.
TCTTS
AG
caleblyn said:

Love the idea. If it never comes to be, I highly enjoyed the read. However, I think you have something mainly because...I enjoyed the read.

You need a base...an author! Need someone to write the book or the screenplay. I know this is what you are asking, but these people are special with wonderful gifts.

I would think you would need to start researching the newspapers from old. Might have to go to micro fish.

Wish I could help but this is not my gift.
Great to hear. And yeah, doing a book first would definitely be the way to go. But it would require either paying someone to write the book, or finding someone who could pitch it to publishers, both of which would be extremely tough.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

That's quite a story to tell and a lot to bite off. I tend to oversimplify, and it can be a strenght and weakness of mine.
If you wanted to tell it chronologically it would be best as a mini-series.
But that might be too much for a feature length movie. What if for a movie the 1919 season is your backdrop? The 1917 isn't really seen, but talked about and the record shown a few times as if it were a myth and another lifetime ago. The struggles of the 1919 season to live up to the 1917 season could be told through flashbacks to the war. Give some of your players what we would call PTSD now, but would have been "shell shock" back then. They struggle to find purpose in football and life after the war. But use their experiences in WW1(told through flashback) to help them find meaning and reason to push through. Your last Braveheart moment would be in the Texas game at the end of the year. If you've got 3 hours to tell this story that's 5 mins for 1917, 5 mins for your Braveheart ending, and about 30 minutes each for 5 stories (15 minutes of 1919 struggle, 15 minutes of WW1 flashback)

Logistically for this story you would want to find some contact to get WW1 service records for every player. When and where did they serve? What battles? Who didn't make it home? From there you could research those battle and (maybe fictitiously) insert your protagonists into those battles.
Does anyone have that kind of contact?
Not a bad idea at all. I need to wrap my head around it, but it's definitely an option to consider.
TCTTS
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

Like the idea.

My only (albeit uneducated) opinion about the story structure is I agree Dana X. Bible has to be the center of the movie. May need a brief introduction into his upbringing or something at the beginning of Act 1 to show who he is and why he is such a man of valor (or whatever character trait you want to define him).

I'm imagining a similar story arc as what was in the Dennis Quaid movie "The Rookie". Introduce hero coach, have the team building season with winning a championship, coach leaves to go off to majors (or in this case, war), come back a changed man and go back into coaching which was his true calling all along.

Name of the movie: "Bible Studies"....or maybe we can workshop that one a bit.
"The Rookie" is a good model. But yeah, it's feeling more and more like this would be from Bible's perspective, and that maybe the research should focus more on him than anything.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
TCTTS said:

Quad Dog said:

Logistically for this story you would want to find some contact to get WW1 service records for every player. When and where did they serve? What battles? Who didn't make it home? From there you could research those battle and (maybe fictitiously) insert your protagonists into those battles.
Does anyone have that kind of contact?
Not a bad idea at all. I need to wrap my head around it, but it's definitely an option to consider.
As far as I can tell from the records of the team vs this site, none of the team members fell during the war

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/148592/world-war-i-gold-star-aggies/
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

To me for this to work, you are going to have to focus a little bit on the 1917 season, because the hook here is really how motivation, leadership, etc changes.

I can envision something like:

(Note, I have no idea of the historical accuracy of this, just basically talking in general plot notes)

Act I: 1917

We drop into the celebration after beating Texas in 1917. This is where we meet our main characters, celebrating victory over their rivals. Then we see a practice before the final game of the season. The coaches and players are doing your typical 'this is the most important game of our lives' sports-as-war type stuff. "Finish them off," etc etc.

Act 2: War

Our characters are all doing important stuff, but through various ways they're showing that they miss the simplicity they had before. Sports aren't anything like war, because sports are simple. You know who the opponent is, and you know what they're trying to do and why they're trying to do it. You're also face to face with your opponent. Sports have a humanity to it that the first truly modern war has stripped away from the battlefield. I think to drive this point home we never really see the enemy. Bombs/gunfire/etc are just coming from a vague 'beyond.'

I think this sets up a moment of why he'd write the war hymn. He's not only remembering a time where life was better, but where it was simpler.

I think to make this work you're going to have to have someone in his outfit that's a Longhorn fan and they give each other crap all the time but also help each other out of some sticky situations. They're rivals, but also friends. And he writes the 'War Hymn' because he thinks it will be funny to the other guy. He doesn't really intend for it to become a school song later on. But it sort of hearkens back to that desire for the simplicity before.

Act 3: 1919

They come back, and now the focus of practice isn't on 'destroying the opponent,' it's more about improving yourself. The focus is no longer on the external, but the internal. For those that went to war, they don't worry about the opponent as much, even though the fans do. It's a different approach, but it's just as effective and they're perfect again.

- I think you have some modern relevance here because how often these days do we see people define themselves by the external? Everyone always wants to shoutout the haters, or talk about how nobody believed in them, etc. So much of what people talk about as motivation is external, but the most effective motivation is always internal.

Anyway, those are some random thoughts.
Good stuff, and matches my basic structure in the OP.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

Was Pinky Wilson on the football roster?
If not, is this a Wilson movie or a football movie? Because if he's not on the team then he's in two scenes in the movie. One scene at A&M watching a game and one writing the War Hymn. If he's not on the team would he and Bible have ever interacted?

If he was on the team, then he's your protagonist and this is a Wilson movie.
The Wilson thing wouldn't be set it stone. If it somehow works out, great. If not, I'll find a different title.
TCTTS
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

I found this article on the actual teams (highlighted returning players):

https://www.myaggienation.com/athletics_history/football/year_by_year/article_50963f1c-f6f6-11e2-9da7-001a4bcf887a.html

• M.H. "Ox" Ford at tackle
  • Heine Weir at quarterback
  • Jack Mahan (Fullback)
  • J.D. McMurrey (Tackle)
  • Jim Kindrick
  • Wilson & McKnight at Guard
  • Gouger & Alexander at End
  • Anderson (center)
  • Griesenbeck
  • Elam (2nd qb)
  • Gilmore
  • McClintock

.https://www.myaggienation.com/athletics_history/football/year_by_year/article_9d4f68d0-f6f4-11e2-b761-001a4bcf887a.html
  • Jack Mahan (Fullback)
  • E.S. Wilson (Defense)
  • Weir (QB) / Elam (QB)
  • Wilson (Guard)
  • Alexander (End)
  • Gouger (End)
  • Knickerbocker
  • Dwyer

Notables that can be incorporated:
  • 1919 QB broke his shoulder, though, and was lost for the year
  • Higginbotham scored the team's lone touchdown in a 7-0 victory over Texas

Awesome finds, and good to have confirmation on these names. Higginbotham seems to be emerging as THE guy, player-wise.
TCTTS
AG
Legal Custodian said:

It sounds to me the main story theme you're going for is the innocence of finishing the 1917 season so well and almost easy and contrasting the dichotomy of the hardships of war.

1st Act is as you said. Then the second act builds the story of how you can go undefeated and unscored upon in football, but in War/Life you are destined to lose some battles. Its shown in the fact of them losing some of their buddies in the war, getting shot down, etc. but eventually prevailing in their mission in honor of their fallen friends. Then in Act 3 theyre getting ready for the first game with serious almost determined looks on their faces (some might even be holding a token of their fallen friend while listening to Coach Bible talk) and then it ends with them running out of the tunnel like you said.

Or it could be pretty cool to see it end as a flashback to one of the guys in the trenches talking to Pinky as he writes the War Hymn and him asking Pinky about it. Ending with Wilson revealing the name of the song.
Very well put, and I like the flashback idea at the end. Could be a creative way to involve him.
'03ag
I'm having a hard time figuring out how the football ties in and makes the war more compelling, and vice versa. But then that's why there are people in Hollywood who do this for a living. There have been bigger stretches made into good movies I'm sure.
AgGrad99
AG
That's why I'd originally suggested it being about two guys (bible and a close friend). 1917 (football) establishes the relationship.
TCTTS
AG
'03ag said:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how the football ties in and makes the war more compelling, and vice versa. But then that's why there are people in Hollywood who do this for a living. There have been bigger stretches made into good movies I'm sure.
You might be right. Another reason I wanted to post all this is to stress test the concept. It simply might too much of a challenge to try and connect all the dots.
MW03
AG
The motto for the 1919 season was "They Shall Not Pass". It was a reference to not being scored upon, but in the context of WW1 is has an obvious second meaning: Americans entered the war in part to help stop the German Spring Offensive of 1918.

If you find yourself in need of a protagonist, consider Richard Henry "Chicken" Harrison Jr. You might even reach out to his great grandson. Harrison may have been on the 1917 team, but he served in 1918. He received a recruiting letter from Dana X. Bible before the 1919 season which told returning service men that they'd be welcomed back to participate in athletics:

Quote:

Dear "Chicken,"

Guess you are beginning to show symptoms of the "Pigskin Fever," if not get around some of the "Old Farmers," catch a bad case and come back this Fall and get fifteen hundred others infected with it. Every one is expected to put politics, business, and even their best girl aside and report September 15th, for duty at College Station. Blot out everything that will interfere with this arrangement.

All Men who left school to enter the service are eligible to participate in Athletics this Fall, also Freshmen will be permitted to play their first year.

"Many changes have been made at A. and M. which will, I am sure, make your stay with us more pleasant and profitable. Our outlook for a successful season is indeed encouraging. The old stars among the Alumni have promised to come back from time to time and give us systematic help. A re-birth of college spirit has come into the hearts of ever A. and M. man, and I am convinced that the team that beats us will be champion of the Southwest.

If any information is desired I shall be glad to furnish it. Let me have a letter at once stating you will report September 15th, ready to fight for victory, fair and square, hard but clean.

Remember September 15th, and also remember, we want you, we need you, must have you.

This is the motto for 1919: "They Shall Not Pass."

Cordially your friend,

D.X. Bible.

He returned and played, graduated in 1920 and became one of the very first veterinarians from A&M. He then served as the team doctor for 25 years, and was the team doctor on the 1939 National Championship team. He then served in WW2.

I don't know the reasons why Harrison struggled with returning to football after his service in WW1. That might be an angle for your conflict.

Additionally, I am imagining some shots of 18-20 year olds playing football in 1917 juxtaposed against 18-20 years fighting in WW1 before the US entered the war. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "battle in the trenches" though.

TCTTS
AG
And yeah, for sure. I probably should have reiterated that character no doubt comes first in all of this. At its heart, it need to be a personal story/journey. It's not a movie about A&M. It's not a movie about football. It's not a movie about the war. All of that would just be the backdrop for whatever the main character's journey/arc is.
TCTTS
AG
GREAT find. That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I think you could still actually tell this from Bible's point of view, but Harrison is maybe the second lead, and after the war, he has PTSD (or something along those lines), and part of the story is about Bible trying to help him in whatever way he can, and through football is one of the ways he does that. Let me think on this, but good stuff for sure.
'03ag
TCTTS said:

'03ag said:

You might be right. Another reason I wanted to post all this is to stress test the concept. It simply might too much of a challenge to try and connect all the dots.
I have no doubt it can be done and several here have made good suggestions already.

I think the challenge will be to do it in a way that's compelling outside the Aggie family. Making it too esoteric and overly Aggie is going to put it at risk.
TCTTS
AG
"They Shall Not Pass" is actually an awesome title, too. Or would everyone and their dog go straight to Lord of the Rings?
MW03
AG
Another angle is Pre-WW1 American isolationism. The "we couldn't be touched" mentality before the Germans sunk the Lusitania is kind of perfectly articulated by American youths "fighting" in college football games compared to those in Europe fighting the most horrific and devastating warfare the world had ever seen. The US was 50 years or so removed from the Civil War and on the brink of becoming the world's economic power. We were interested in doing us, so to speak. It wasn't until the war touched american lives through the sinking of the Lusitania that Wilson and America changed directions.

So maybe the conflict is the shattering of a collective national innocence, and the struggle to regain that innocence upon returning home. Maybe shown through the eyes of Chicken Harrison who very personally felt the changing of the World following 1918 as a larger call to duty.

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, for sure. And trust me, I'm the last guy who would go all "Aggie" with this. It HAS to have mass appeal first and foremost. I almost typed up a big disclaimer about how this can't be one, big Aggie circle-jerk of a movie, but I didn't want to offend anyone.
Legal Custodian
AG
Kinda funny that Tolkien got a lot of his material from his experience in WW1. Some might think it's a movie about him and WW1.
TCTTS
AG
MW03 said:

Another angle is Pre-WW1 American isolationism. The "we couldn't be touched" mentality before the Germans sunk the Lusitania is kind of perfectly articulated by American youths "fighting" in college football games compared to those in Europe fighting the most horrific and devastating warfare the world had ever seen. The US was 50 years or so removed from the Civil War and on the brink of becoming the world's economic power. We were interested in doing us, so to speak. It wasn't until the war touched american lives through the sinking of the Lusitania that Wilson and America changed directions.

So maybe the conflict is the shattering of a collective national innocence, and the struggle to regain that innocence upon returning home. Maybe shown through the eyes of Chicken Harrison who very personally felt the changing of the World following 1918 as a larger call to duty.

Love that. I think this is basically what I was trying to get at with the thematic "perfection" stuff I was touching on in the OP, but this much better said. Football, via the prism of this movie, is merely the way in which we display America's innocence pre-war. That's a great, thematic reason for including football and war in the same movie.
Know Your Enemy
AG
TCTTS said:

"They Shall Not Pass" is actually an awesome title, too. Or would everyone and their dog go straight to Lord of the Rings?
I love it. Then again, I'm not a LOTR person.
AgGrad99
AG
TCTTS said:

And yeah, for sure. I probably should have reiterated that character no doubt comes first in all of this. At its heart, it need to be a personal story/journey. It's not a movie about A&M. It's not a movie about football. It's not a movie about the war. All of that would just be the backdrop for whatever the main character's journey/arc is.
Oh yeah..no doubt.

I was just suggesting that in an effort to 'connect the dots' between the backdrops.

What about tone? This going to be a serious story?

What about a funny/odd tone..like O Brother Where are Thou, or Leatherheads? War might be an odd subject to have lighthearted, but since he was only involved a year, I wonder if it could be a more lighthearted adventure?
AgGrad99
AG
Quote:

Everyone is going to go straight to LOTR. not saying that means it's a bad title....but they will.
JABQ04
AG
TCTTS said:

"On ne passe pas" was the French motto at Verdun at 1916. That was a ****ing meat grinder
Legal Custodian
AG
Yup, that can easily be done in the first couple of minutes of the movie by starting at the front lines of the western front of them rushing the German Trenches, then swiftly move to the Oklahoma Drill being done in practice, then back to more fighting in France until a soldier is seen sitting down resting, and then settling back in College Station as practice is wrapping up with a player sitting on the bench getting some water or something to that affect.

Sorry, TCTTS, I know all these ideas we're throwing out are pretty annoying. But thanks for appeasing us by saying we have good ideas
TCTTS
AG
You just came up with the opening! Seriously, that's THE perfect way to open this.
Legal Custodian
AG
AgGrad99 said:

TCTTS said:

Oh yeah..no doubt.

I was just suggesting that in an effort to 'connect the dots' between the backdrops.

What about tone? This going to be a serious story?

What about a funny/odd tone..like O Brother Where are Thou, or Leatherheads? War might be an odd subject to have lighthearted, but since he was only involved a year, I wonder if it could be a more lighthearted adventure?
I feel like a lighthearted adventure in what is considered widely as the worst war experience of all time wouldn't the most well received.
FarmerJohn
AG
Not really a movie guy, so just some thoughts.

1. Excellent backdrop and you could take this a number of different places. Like the coach getting fired in the middle of 1916, losing to Texas and 1917 being played under the threat of war and going undefeated. Surely people from the 1916 team were in the Army by 1917, and with war declared in April, the timeline works. Pressure builds on Bible from multiple sides.

2. It's either a documentary or "based on a true story". While the important things to us Aggies would be Bible and the War Hymn, if that doesn't fit in the story, they have to be cut. But there will be a lot of upset Aggies if it isn't a documentary. But half of those would be upset no matter what the outcome is, so make what you want.

3. Higginbotham sounds like an excellent point of view. But he needs to serve in France in 1918. Again, "based on a true story" might be able to add that detail if real life doesn't have it.

4. If you are going to span the 1917 team to the 1919 team, you need a gold star on the 1917 team, who ideally would have been playing in either 1918 or 1919. Is Anderson the center from 1917 Farris Anderson '18, killed in action October 1918 in France? If this is a fictional story, you need someone to remind the audience the seriousness of the situation. Anderson blocks for Higginbotham in 17, makes some aside comment about sacrificing for the team while Higginbotham gets the glory. Anderson doesn't come home. Maybe keep the details accurate to Farris Anderson.

5. Bible would be great for the fighter pilot side, but I can't imagine it's cheap to film vintage flight sequences. With the infantry in the trenches, that hole in the ground is a pretty cheap set.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Either way, that's the film's title...

"THE WAR HYMN"
Chills.
MW03
AG
TCTTS said:

GREAT find. That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I think you could still actually tell this from Bible's point of view, but Harrison is maybe the second lead, and after the war, he has PTSD (or something along those lines), and part of the story is about Bible trying to help him in whatever way he can, and through football is one of the ways he does that. Let me think on this, but good stuff for sure.

The PTSD scenario checks a huge box for hard men coming back from that war "shell shocked" and trying to wrap their heads around the frivolity of daily mundane life, even if that daily mundane life is competing at the highest collegiate level for championships (the 1919 team was ultimately awarded a retroactive national title by the National Championship Foundation).

In three acts, that process would be:

Act 1 - the thrill of playing undefeated football in 1917
Act 2 - Conflict, literally depicted by fighting the WW1 in 1918, and then personal conflict in coming to grips with the frivolity of life at home
Act 3 - Resolution of the personal conflict by finding meaning again in daily life through the lens of service, and articulated by attaining perfection of the football
MW03
AG
MW03 said:

TCTTS said:

The PTSD scenario checks a huge box for hard men coming back from that war "shell shocked" and trying to wrap their heads around the frivolity of daily mundane life, even if that daily mundane life is competing at the highest collegiate level for championships (the 1919 team was ultimately awarded a retroactive national title by the National Championship Foundation).

In three acts, that process would be:

Act 1 - the thrill of playing undefeated football in 1917
Act 2 - Conflict, literally depicted by fighting the WW1 in 1918, and then personal conflict in coming to grips with the frivolity of life at home
Act 3 - Resolution of the personal conflict by finding meaning again in daily life through the lens of service, and articulated by attaining perfection of the football
In other words, The Hurt Locker, only with grocery shopping replaced by two-a-days and instead of returning to war, they return to their lives with Bible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.