Terminator: Dark Fate

32,643 Views | 286 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TXAG 05
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
John Matrix
AG
So...this is good? Consider me surprised and kind of hyped. Of course, you can't fully trust early reviews, but this is intriguing nonetheless.
bobinator
AG
John Matrix said:

So...this is good? Consider me surprised and kind of hyped. Of course, you can't fully trust early reviews, but this is intriguing nonetheless.
Yeah no kidding, the trailer made it look awful.
CoppellAg93
AG
Thanks for the posts TCTTS !

Not that I need good reviews from critics to go see a movie - prefer to make up my own mind - but it's good to see positive press coming out. I admit I wasn't too excited after seeing the first trailer, but the later ones have me excited to see this - sounding like I won't be disappointed.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I just had to spend a few minutes remembering how many Terminators there have been since T2. I've never had a problem with T3, although Nick Stahl was a blah John Connor. I thought Arnold was great in that one, especially when he fights against his programming after the T-X zaps him.

Terminator Salvation, which I had completely forgotten, was one Shia LeBouf away from just being a Transformer movie. The robots had unbelievable technology and should have won that war decades ago.

The other one, which TC gave me the script to read before it came out somehow, is the first Terminator I didn't go see in the theater. I have never seen any of it.

Does the new one say that 3, 4, and 5 never happened?
TCTTS
AG
Funny that I gave you that script, which I never read, and didn't end up seeing the movie either. First Terminator movie I haven't seen.

And yes, this one pretends that 3, 4, and 5 never happened.
bobinator
AG

EDIT: nevermind, re-read the first page where this was answered.
jokershady
AG
Was planning on seeing this with my dad regardless of what critics said.

But now I'm SUPER PUMPED about this!!!

And to answer the question just posted....I believe there's no narrative in the film to explain the reasoning why this is a direct sequel to T2...just know it's as if those 3 films never happened.

And personally, I kinda liked Geneysis....I hated Jai Courtney or ever that actor was playing Kyle Reese....but thought the movie was good
TCTTS
AG
Despite the positive initial reaction from the first critics screening, the Rotten Tomato score opened at 67% yesterday. Not bad, but obviously not great either...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_dark_fate
aTmAg
AG
I was a huge T1 and T2 fan, but I'm gonna skip this movie. True Lies is the last good movie James Cameron made. Not giving that guy any more of my money.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

Despite the positive initial reaction from the first critics screening, the Rotten Tomato score opened at 67% yesterday. Not bad, but obviously not great either...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_dark_fate
How does that compare to T3, T4, and TG?
TV Casualty
AG
This just seems like another unnecessary soft reboot. It will tread on the same worn out ground while somewhat crapping on the original films.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
mazag08
AG
My prediction is that the good guys "win" only to realize that the future has a lot of tricks up its sleeve, thus continuing the franchise perpetually while never coming close to actually reaching a climax to the story.

At least that's the precedent I've come to expect.
TCTTS
AG
This is apparently the first in a new trilogy, if this one is successful...
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of its success, I bought a ticket last Wednesday for this Thursday's opening night showing and the theater was almost already sold out. Over a week in advance. Was not expecting that.
Geriatric Punk
AG
TCTTS said:

This is apparently the first in a new trilogy, if this one is successful...
Wow. That's embarrassing at this point. Just let it be cool for what it was.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I remember this exact line after Genisys.

Let's see if it sticks this time.
TCTTS
AG
Just rewatched T2 in-full tonight for the first time in at least a decade, if not more. It goes without saying, but what a perfect, iconic film. As weird as this sounds, even though I really don't have much interest at all in seeing Dark Fate, I bought a ticket for Thursday night just so I had a reason to watch T2 again with purpose, this time in 4K. So glad I did, too. It was not only a great refresher, but the 4K transfer is stunning (and only $9.86 at Amazon for the physical, Ultra HD Blu-ray). They cleaned it up so much that it really does look like a movie filmed today, in the best way. And now I'm least looking forward to Thursday night just a bit more.
FL_Ag1998
AG
My 10 year old son and I watched T2 last weekend, the first time for him, and as soon as the end credits started rolling he turned to me and said in complete seriousness with wide eyes, "I now have a new favorite movie."

Without a doubt one of the all-time top ten action movies.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome. You have a smart kid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
T2 is a top ten action film of all time.
Duncan Idaho
I might have to dig out my steel case copy of t2 this weekend

Like this one

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F1448930092
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
C@LAg said:

The Wachowskis brothers singularly and collectively have not done anything that was really strong in a long, long time.

Becoming the wachowski sisters is a pretty strong move in the transgender director category
HollywoodBQ
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

see this gave me the feels of T2 and that familiar chill down my spine when the T-1000 pursuit music starts

You can hear this gif.
I took my kids to the batting cages in Burbank one day (circa 2006) and I looked up and in the cage next to me is the freaking Terminator T-1000 - Robert Patrick with his son. Freaked the hell outta me.

In real life, he's got the most down home Georgia accent.
HollywoodBQ
AG
jokershady said:

So this got posted today....100% officially confirming rumors and speculation that Edward Furlong will in fact be in T3 as John Conner in a small role and not some CGI face with a voice.
Yeah, I don't know how they did that but it was convincing.
TCTTS
AG
The best compliment I can give this movie is definitely its strangest and most unexpected, but...

Arnold Schwarzenegger is hilarious in this.

I don't mean hilariously bad or hilariously awkward. Rather, he has some legit, laugh-out-loud lines delivered in perfect, deadpan tone, and is actually pretty great in this overall.

But maaaaan is his role contrived, as is basically the entire movie.

The one thing most of these "legacy sequels" (sequels that come years and sometimes a generation after the original(s), featuring a couple or a few of the original cast) have in common is that I can only think of one that didn't bend over backwards to justify its existence, and that's Blade Runner 2049. But this one is easily the worst offender of them all. In fact - and this isn't really a spoiler per se but more of a semi-vague warning - they completely undo T2 within the first two minutes of this movie in shockingly blunt and frustrating fashion, to the point where I seriously almost got up and walked out right then and there. It's really, really, really dumb, and I cannot believe that James Cameron, of all people, signed off on it. And then, for whatever reason, from that point on, any time they have the opportunity to take just an extra 20 seconds and explain/examine the "fate" of it all - anything to make this movie feel the least bit warranted - something happens to end the conversation and we're off and running again.

That said... it's not a bad movie at all. It's definitely entertaining at times, funnier than you expect, and Mackenzie Davis kicks all kinds of ass. She's going to be offered a lot of action roles after this. But overall it's nothing we haven't seen before, and is almost remarkably uninventive. You'd think the THREE writers and THREE additional "story by" credits would have been able to deliver something a little more original, but no. That, and there's waaaaay too much CGI, the actor who plays the new Terminator villain isn't the least bit menacing, and they give Linda Hamilton a few too many snarling-bad-ass lines that don't quite land (even though she has a great presence in general). I will say that they go ALL OUT for the final act, somewhat disproportionally in how insane the action and set pieces become, but it works for the most part. It's a little clunky, but the last half hour or so definitely raises what comes before.

Anyway, I don't think you'll regret buying a ticket to see it, but it's also something you can totally wait for on streaming.

It's... fine.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I saw the new Terminator movie last night in Sydney for a work event. The theatre - Event Cinemas - was showing the movie in 4DX. Here's a link to the 4DX effects

Basically the 4DX part was like watching a movie on a roller coaster that sprayed water mist at you and had strobe lights, force feedback vibration in the seats and a baseball bat to hit you in the back. when the characters took damage. It was fun for about 5 minutes and got tedious after that. Oh, it also blew wind past your ears and ankles.

I really enjoyed the movie. Watching a 60 something Linda Hamilton and a 70 something Arnold kick butt was awesome. Seriously incredible. And I need to hit the bench press and knock out some curls. Arnold is a machine.

So... while I enjoyed the movie from an action perspective, it was almost too much from a woke narrative perspective. Not spoiling anything but, there were only about 3 white male characters in the entire film (not counting Arnold). Granted it starts in Mexico but... it was noticeable. However, other than the rise of the machines, there wasn't too much spoken that reflected how evil white males are.

Since the movie starts in Mexico, I got a kick out of the Spanish dialogue and the English subtitles. The Mexican Spanish dialogue was really what people would say but, the English translations were subdued as to not offend - in my opinion. You'd really need to be exposed to some Mexican slang to really get an appreciation for this. In fact, I wondered if they used Google Translate to create the English subtitles.

Is it fun, is it scary, is there lots of violent action - YES
Is the story compelling, are there tie-ins with the original Terminator - YES

Do I recommend it - YES
TCTTS
AG
I think it's suuuuuper weird to imply that something like this doesn't have enough white males. That didn't even cross my mind, and I don't know how that would possibly matter or make it better if it did, but whatever. It's just... that sounds... you know. There's a WAY better way to phrase what you're getting at.

But yes, there is a woke-ish element to this movie that's a little too on-the-nose in a certain regard, and might rub the more, shall we say, "sensitive" of the bunch the wrong way. Though, it's not in-your-face or preachy by any means. And it is not political AT ALL, just so we can nip that potential headache of a conversation in the bud. It's just that one of the two main new leads is a Mexican woman, there's a border-crossing element, and a subtle female empowerment theme; three things that certain posters here are known to be... "perceptive' to. But no sane individual could possibly be offended by anything in this movie. If anything, it only builds on the themes established in the first two movies.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Didn't say I was offended by it at all. But it was curious.

I was surprised at the fact they would create a movie that had more Black characters than it did White characters given the population demographics of the USA. And how many Asians or Blacks work for the CBP along the Texas Border? Probably limit approaching zero.

It was just a casual observation. There was nothing verbally preachy in the movie per se but, there was definitely the woman empowerment deal which frankly, worked in the movie. In fact, I want my wife to see the movie just due to how much ass Linda Hamilton kicks. After watching Linda Hamilton, my thoughts were that we can just completely get rid of perceptions about females over 60. They can be tough if they want to be.
HollywoodBQ
AG
The only spoiler I'll give for the movie which is really only relevant if you've been in the military and had an M-1025 Humvee.

during the underwater scene - the idea that you could be underwater in a water tight Humvee had me cracking up. That thing would leak like a sieve.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, but movies like this aren't made just for the USA anymore. Blockbusters are made for a global audience, with an aim to attract as many demographics as possible. That, and three out of the five leads are white. No other characters outside of them have more than two minutes of screen time.

And sorry, that second paragraph was meant more for the board, not you directly. I didn't mean to say that you were offended.

Definitely in agreement on Linda Hamilton, though. I don't think I've ever seen a woman over 60 bring it like she does in an action movie like this before. It's pretty cool to see.
TCTTS
AG
Considering the final product, this makes a lot of sense...

https://theplaylist.net/james-cameron-rough-cut-terminator-dark-fate-20191031/
TCTTS
AG
Surely we can finally put this franchise to rest now. This installment definitely hints at further adventures, but I don't think anyone gives two sh*ts anymore, including myself. Reboot the whole thing in ten years, when you're not beholden to awkwardly cramming Schwarzenegger into every one...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.