Terminator: Dark Fate

32,510 Views | 286 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TXAG 05
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jokershady said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

On Reddit, Schwarzenegger apparently posted it to r/movies himself. And then the comments section became an unofficial AMA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/bs2n3o/were_back_heres_your_terminator_dark_fate_trailer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
seriously y'all need to read this...pretty ****in awesome

I'd heard an interview years ago about Arnold wanting this to happen. I believe he eventually pulled it off in The Running Man.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fixed.
see this gave me the feels of T2 and that familiar chill down my spine when the T-1000 pursuit music starts
Cromagnum
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fixed.

Substantially better although the Texmexinator does not look menacing in any way, shape, or form.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Terminator is on Netflix.
jokershady
AG
Cromagnum said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fixed.

Substantially better although the Texmexinator does not look menacing in any way, shape, or form.
who knows at this point.

Terminators like this take the shape of the best person to get close to their target....so unlike in T2 where it was a cop this could be someone who actually knows our protagonist and it actually be a pretty cool reveal and character.

Have to wait and see....but I agree on the surface the T-1000 from T2 still makes me uneasy with how ruthless he is
jokershady
AG
Ok I've been rewatching the trailer....noticed a few things...

1. Hard to tell but appears the bad terminator driving the big truck is the same guy in the small truck...could be wrong but does seem like he's taking the form of a character we've already been established with.

2. I thought the bad T had morphed out of the drivers seat into the hood of the truck....but nope....there's apparently 2 of them as there's still a terminator sitting in the chair driving while he's outside the truck...thought it was funny the bad T let in the truck shifts gears while the other T is separating himself from him

3. When Linda shows up and starts blasting human bad T, he starts running but not towards his target original target....my guess is that he's running back towards the exoskeleton T and if so guessing that their abilities are weakened when they separate from each other

4. Good girl T looks like she beats the hell out of some cops naked so must be right after she travels back in time.

5. The lines, "why do you care what happens to her?" "Because I was her." Sounds like something happens to John Conner but after judgement day is prevented.....then something else swing into play causing the fate of judgement day to re-occur and this new woman they're protecting is who will carry the baby of the new resistance leader

What I don't understand is....how are they going to explain Arnies back? He can't be the same terminator from T2 because of this scene that no man ever cried at ever....

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, if these new terminators are coming from a new future and timeline, I guess they could easily explain that another T-800 was sent to find/protect Sarah Connor, but maybe couldn't find her as she had already gone into hiding post 1997?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

see this gave me the feels of T2 and that familiar chill down my spine when the T-1000 pursuit music starts

You can hear this gif.
jokershady
AG
True but then this is just a rehash of the plot from T3
C Loves L
I love these movies. I've been a huge fan since watching T2 in the theater. I was also terrified of the playground scene being torched and those images still haunt my thoughts.

Salvation was my least favorite. No Arnold is a no-no. It also didnt feel like the other Terminator movies. I do like it however.

I thought T3 was pretty good as was Genisys.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
C Loves L said:

love these movies. I've been a huge fan since watching T2 in the theater. I was also terrified of the playground scene being torched and those images still haunt my thoughts.

Salvation was my least favorite. No Arnold is a no-no. It also didnt feel like the other Terminator movies. I do like it however.

I thought T3 was pretty good as was Genisys.
Man, I was 17 when T2 came out. It was all we talked about all summer. I liked T3, although Nick Stahl wasn't a very good John Connor, and it felt more like a TV movie than a followup to Judgement Day.

T3 does beg the question of which early 2000s big action movie introduced the hotter blonde who went on to do absolutely very little else as an actress, is it:

Kristina Loken as the T-X from Rise of the Machines?

or Estella Warren as quasi-love interest from the 2001 Planet of the Apes aka Marky Mark and the Monkey Bunch?

CapCityAg89
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

jokershady said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

On Reddit, Schwarzenegger apparently posted it to r/movies himself. And then the comments section became an unofficial AMA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/bs2n3o/were_back_heres_your_terminator_dark_fate_trailer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
seriously y'all need to read this...pretty ****in awesome

I'd heard an interview years ago about Arnold wanting this to happen. I believe he eventually pulled it off in The Running Man.

From that thread, I REALLY want a King Conan movie. Also REALLY want a True Lies 2. I mean how have those not been made in this age of sequels??!!
C Loves L
I was 11 and my mom took me. We ended up having it on VHS and it was played almost as many times as Goonies.
jokershady
AG
spag.ag2003 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Where does T2 rank among action movies, all time?
It's #1 for me - absolutely relentless and despite the T-1000 CGI I'm guessing it's 90%+ practical effects.
i watched a great clip about the final chase scene involving the t-1000 chasing them down in the police helicopter and about how the stunts were coordinated.

IIRC there was a mistake and near catastrophic accident that made it in to the film....or the pilot did something he shouldn't have....something like that I'll see if I can find it
jokershady
AG
About 3.5 minutes of great commentary on this scene

Al Bula
AG
Brainscan was a great Edward Furlong movie

The Debt
TCTTS said:

Nothing will ever top the T-1000 liquid metal. That movie is 28 years old. How do the effects still look better than this? How have they not been able to top even the concept of liquid metal in all that time?

Simplicity. No one cares about an android that can R2D2 devices (T3) or human/terminator hybrids (salvation/genysis/darkfate).

The beauty of T1 and T2 is the imperfection of the machine. In T1 Arnie's model just had to look like a human. The social skills were limited. But by T3 machines understood psychology and sexuality. As the franchise continued on, the "power creep" of bad guys continue to escalate. This escalation tends to mirror the technological advances in RL. Its almost to a God-like level in Dark fate where it looks like he absorbs the iron and through nanotech and 3d printing, he creates a terminator to drive while he reassembles himself to jump at his target.

The threat of the film isnt the walking/slashing villain, it's really advanced technology that is murderous. And that premise is more cerebral/scifi than an action film can convey. If the sequels remained "low tech" like the Sarah Conner Chronicles they would be more enjoyable for audiences.
TCTTS
AG
New trailer tomorrow...
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

New trailer tomorrow...
please be good!

The Debt
I was thinking on the "low-tech ternimators" possibilities of the franchise.

Terminator = T-800
T2 = T-100
[Imaginary franchise-enhancing film] = ___________

I think to myself why doesnt James Cameron just James Cameron the fk out of it and do what he did to Alien.

Alien = humanoid xenomorph
Aliens = hundreds of humanoid xenomorphs + queen
Alien 3 = canine xenomorph

Guess which one Cameron directed. Take the premise and add scale to it. If this means not filming it in modern times, or not focusing on the lore of John Connor so be it. Terminator salvation, despite its problems is more intriguing than t3, genysis, or dark fate.

At some point you have to grow past the cat&mouse formula if you want to hold audiences. I think the best example of this is fast&furious which started out with cops busting street races and a loner american highschooler in Japan to now having dwayne Johnson and Jason statham fighting a superpowered Idris Elba.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Even better, it's rated R
TCTTS
AG
An R rating might actually get me in the theater...
TCTTS
AG
I can't embed the tweet (it's not sharable), but this would be a really interesting idea...

"I don't mean this is an unkind way, but if Furlong is John Connor in the new TERMINATOR I'm assuming part of his story is that he's fallen on hard times and is coming to terms with never being the messiah?"
TCTTS
AG
Ugh, please no not this...

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I want this now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, it looks like Paramount is holding the trailer for public release for another couple of hours. 3 PM PST, apparently...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did they end the Terminator panel with a Top Gun trailer? Or just release them in different order online?
TCTTS
AG
- Terminator trailer played for audience.
- Panel ended.
- Cruise came out and surprised the audience, gave a quick speech.
- Top Gun trailer played for the audience.
- Top Gun trailer released online.

Seems they wanted to go all the way with the Top Gun surprise, but then not double dip with Terminator and debut two trailers online at once. So they're holding off for a couple more hours.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So are you saying Top Gun trailer was a complete surprise to everyone? Insider info?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.