Terminator: Dark Fate

32,312 Views | 286 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TXAG 05
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Skynet needs to send a Terminator back through time to kill this thread.
cbr
AG
i dont know how to put spoiler protection in, so i'll be vague

finally saw this.

it was pretty good. overall - its a 'do go see' movie.

it was a good group of characters but of course they had to take it from 'good protagonists other than straight white males' which was an enjoyable story in which i did not even notice was a racial agenda, until the moment of:

'we must clearly express our moment of hatred of straight white males loud and clear just for the record'

other than that there was a general total lack of explanation or background about the new terminator, along with some serious physics fails - i like action, it doesnt have to be totally realistic, but ffs, at least don't put gratuitous physics fails in movies for no reason at all, in contexts where it doesn't even help the story.

underwater hummvees for instance. I know exactly what happens when you sink a Hummvee, and that's not it at all folks.

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
I'm surprised you'd think it was a must see, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I felt upset that John Conner was replaced only to use the SAME story line and SAME mcguffin as before. But now we have a Latina John Conner and an androgynous Kyle Reese w/ an internal chip like Arnold's.

Why the change up?

If your curve ball is working you don't switch to a slider.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
HollywoodBQ
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

TCTTS said:

HollywoodBQ said:

TCTTS said:

Otherwise, it *is* mostly people who simply want to "show different people as protagonists."
For the record - my original comments regarding races shown in the Terminator Dark Fate movie weren't about the protagonist(s). It was the fact that of the supporting characters who had screen time, almost all were minorities (meaning not white male). And, of the approximately 3 white male characters (who weren't Arnold), at least one of them was essentially a cartoon character (a la Homer Simpson type).

I've got no problem with setting the movie in Mexico and having it show Mexicans. Duh. But, when we start to involve American agencies - USAF, CBP, Texas DPS, etc. you're going to tell me that every person they interact with from those agencies just randomly happens to be a minority.

So you're looking for 100% racial accuracy in a movie about time-traveling robots?

Seriously, though, I get what you're saying, it's just that, personally, I don't see it as that big of a deal. Those scenes were so minor, and for all we know those were friends of the director or something. I'm not going to go looking for agendas in such a minuscule part of a movie like this.

Well Hollywood served and over his life he's lived all over the world, so he's seen these places and these agencies like I have and it all stores up in your unconscious database.

So when you see things misportrayed in movies it's like a picture hanging crooked on the wall (for me at least). Your frustration isn't necessarily political, but those crooked hanging pictures start to really distract you from the conversation and if you know somebody hung those pictures askew on purpose you're like,

"You're making me nuts here, hang it straight."

Thank you for the picture hanging analogy. That's a great description.

I'm posting this from the Shinkansen on the way to Osaka. I think I'm the only non Japanese person on the train

I wonder if they had Terminators in Japan?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
rhutton125
AG
For what it's worth, Tim Miller also clashed with / fought for power with Ryan Reynolds on Deadpool 2. That's why he eventually left that project.

Curious. I'm sure there are a lot of power struggles like that in film. 2-for-2 isn't a good look, but then again, no matter how successful Deadpool 1 was, I guess I can see a studio deferring to its star actor or famous producer over Miller.
samurai_science
Saw the movie....its time to let the franchise die.

I appreciate Salvation more these days. We needed a sequel to that!
TXAG 05
AG
Finally saw this. It was ok, but never need to see it again. It's an entertaining movie if you get past all the stuff that makes no sense. Don't like that it basically makes the events of all the movies irrelevant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.