The Wire

13,056 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Serious Lee
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agree. I have definitely thought that in re watches about season 5. The season overall was good but Simon's vendetta bled thru the script too much.

The funny thing is people (rightly) call some of the storyline outlandish and crazy, yet absolutely love a show like Ozark and are willing to dismiss way more outlandish stuff in virtually every episode.

But then again nobody is comparing Ozark to a top show of all time so I get that...but I still have to chuckle.
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dragmagpuff said:

My top 4 (in no particular order) is The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad.

The Sopranos is the first great prestige TV show. The mafia plot points are good, but not what makes it great. The character study of Tony Soprano showed that you could make essential TV of a man talking to his therapist or two people lost in the woods if the writing was great.

The Wire should probably be required watching to graduate high school just to teach people that real life issues are complicated and nuanced, but that nuance doesn't get you promoted or elected. The show is probably some of the best social commentary of all time. (If you like The Wire and how David Simon approached real world issues, you would also probably like "Show Me a Hero", a miniseries about public housing development in Yonkers in the 80s)

Mad Men is the fully character-driven evolution of The Sopranos, IMO. It might be the greatest show of all time that doesn't rely on a dark/crime premise. I also can understand why some people may not have it high on their lists.

Breaking Bad is probably the best plot-driven show of all time. I've never seen a show ramp up the tension as consistently and believably as this show while still relying on excellent characters.
dis a good ass post.
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. The Shield

I'm not sure why people have such a problem with season 5 of The Wire. Sure it was the weakest of the five but still had some amazing moments and the series finale is a masterpiece imo.

Agreed. People act like it's awful, but its still really good and very entertaining. It just had the impossible act of following season 4, and the fact that it was the last season of maybe the greatest show ever is a bit of a bummer.

But the series finale and final scene is amazing.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dragmagpuff said:

My top 4 (in no particular order) is The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad.

The Sopranos is the first great prestige TV show. The mafia plot points are good, but not what makes it great. The character study of Tony Soprano showed that you could make essential TV of a man talking to his therapist or two people lost in the woods if the writing was great.

The Wire should probably be required watching to graduate high school just to teach people that real life issues are complicated and nuanced, but that nuance doesn't get you promoted or elected. The show is probably some of the best social commentary of all time. (If you like The Wire and how David Simon approached real world issues, you would also probably like "Show Me a Hero", a miniseries about public housing development in Yonkers in the 80s)

Mad Men is the fully character-driven evolution of The Sopranos, IMO. It might be the greatest show of all time that doesn't rely on a dark/crime premise. I also can understand why some people may not have it high on their lists.

Breaking Bad is probably the best plot-driven show of all time. I've never seen a show ramp up the tension as consistently and believably as this show while still relying on excellent characters.

good post and i agree on all of that.

interestingly to me this illuminates just how good Justified is though - it excels in all of these areas, not as much as each of those for their respective strengths but perhaps more than any other show it achieves all of those at a high level.

Justified:
- has some of the character study of a prime character, although Raylan is nowhere near as complex as Tony but the same kind of family loyalties etc. are being tested.
- it has the serial season kind of thing that the Wire did where each seasons is nearly a subplot arc unto it's own with some different characters and theme of sorts. again not on the level of the Wire but still strong.
- it has some great character driven development - Boyd of course, Wynn Duffy, Quarles, the Bennets, Arlo, the Crows just a bunch of great character driven elements. Maybe not the level of Mad Men but again very strong.
- and then it has great plot development and tension ala BB with the escalation of stuff. Of course like BB it is drug centric so it has that similarity.

It just struck me when reading those that Justified isn't the best in any of those areas necessarily but I think it's great overall because it is very very good in all of them.


Van Buren Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just started watching Justified based on this thread (on episode 7 of season one). So far I'm failing to understand the hype. I was expected more of a gritty cop drama ala the wire or the shield. So far every episode has been really hokey, reminding me of burn notice. I'm going to see the series through because I love Walton goggins, even though I can't help hearing Venus van damm.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

I just started watching Justified based on this thread (on episode 7 of season one). So far I'm failing to understand the hype. I was expected more of a gritty cop drama ala the wire or the shield. So far every episode has been really hokey, reminding me of burn notice. I'm going to see the series through because I love Walton goggins, even though I can't help hearing Venus van damm.
I'm not sure I was completely hooked until the end of season 1..... maybe even into season 2 because i wondered where it would go after season 1.
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

I just started watching Justified based on this thread (on episode 7 of season one). So far I'm failing to understand the hype. I was expected more of a gritty cop drama ala the wire or the shield. So far every episode has been really hokey, reminding me of burn notice. I'm going to see the series through because I love Walton goggins, even though I can't help hearing Venus van damm.

I tried watching live when it first came out. I was really excited for it but ultimately felt the exact same way. I think I quit after 5 episodes because it was just too cheesy.

Obviously it picks up because I trust the judgment of this board, but I have never had a desire to go back and try again.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think The Shield and The Americans get short changed in these discussions. Not enough eyeballs?

My unpopular take: I was a Day 1 Justified guy. Enjoyed it a ton, especially the dialog, but can't put it at the same level as Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Shield, and The Americans. Maybe it was because, as someone who used to live in Kentucky, I had the subconscious "he's driving 500 miles a day! It isn't possible to go all the places this quickly!" going through my head.
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've never seen Shield. The Americans is a top 10 show, Justified top 15.
dragmagpuff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I think The Shield and The Americans get short changed in these discussions. Not enough eyeballs?

My unpopular take: I was a Day 1 Justified guy. Enjoyed it a ton, especially the dialog, but can't put it at the same level as Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Shield, and The Americans. Maybe it was because, as someone who used to live in Kentucky, I had the subconscious "he's driving 500 miles a day! It isn't possible to go all the places this quickly!" going through my head.
After Breaking Bad ended, I had The Americans as the best show on TV. Now I would give that mantle to Better Call Saul. Of course, there is so much great TV that it is impossible for anyone to watch it all.
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Justified struggled Season 1 to find its place. Definitely had many more stand alone episodes, then became more serialized in Season 2. Definitely in my Top 10.

One I really enjoyed, but got real bored of last season (and haven't finished) is The Americans.

My Top 10:
1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. The Shield
4. Game of Thrones
5. The Sopranos
6. Justified
7. Mad Men
8. Banshee
9. Better Call Saul
10. Bosch

Others that I liked but had flaws (and maybe I didn't finish or wish I didn't) in no particular order:
Ray Donavan
Dexter
Homeland
Ozark
Narcos
The Americans
Goliath
Treme
True Detective
House of Cards
Scientific
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Corner Boys vs Walter White. Marlo vs Gus. Snoop vs the Salmanca Cousins.

It'll always be hard to pick between the two.
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chris was better than Snoop, imo
Scientific
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The way she took her cabbage getting split like it was due? How she spoke in detail to the hardware store clerk? Chris was willing to sort through New Yorkers to avoid a mistake, but Snoop didn't bother to apply a filter.
Greeze06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought Deadwood was great.
Van Buren Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ORAggieFan said:

CJustified struggled Season 1 to find its place. Definitely had many more stand alone episodes, then became more serialized in Season 2. Definitely in my Top 10.

One I really enjoyed, but got real bored of last season (and haven't finished) is The Americans.

My Top 10:
1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. The Shield
4. Game of Thrones
5. The Sopranos
6. Justified
7. Mad Men
8. Banshee
9. Better Call Saul
10. Bosch

Others that I liked but had flaws (and maybe I didn't finish or wish I didn't) in no particular order:
Ray Donavan
Dexter
Homeland
Ozark
Narcos
The Americans
Goliath
Treme
True Detective
House of Cards
I love Natalie Zea though. Loved her since I first saw her in the shield. Soo hot.
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

Chris was better than Snoop, imo
Chris Partlow really was the scariest looking dude in the whole series.
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

PatAg said:

Chris was better than Snoop, imo
Chris Partlow really was the scariest looking dude in the whole series.

Since I read this I've been turning it over in my mind and I think you're right.

My other candidates were Bird, Weebay, Omar, Snoop. Bird was too short lived in the series even though he was nuts. Weebay wasn't scary especially after season 4 and his circle came full circle. Omar has too many "human" moments that balance out his "scary ones. Snoop was too funny and didn't seem scary in Chris' presence.

Outlier and wildcard candidate might have been Lawanda.
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Greeze06 said:

I thought Deadwood was great.
Can't believe it took to page 2 for Deadwood to be brought up...perhaps because the 3rd season was so uneven although it still had some great performances but man, that show is fantastic with some of the best ****ing dialogue ever written for a TV show.
Removed:09182020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm surprised Battlestar Galactica (Olmos version) isn't making more lists. Mine:

1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. Battlestar Galactica
4. Seasons 4-9 Simpsons
5. Game of Thrones
Bodie Broadus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Wire!!!
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm still upset that a) Michael Hogan never won any awards for his work and b) he never hit it big afterwards though he has had roles in Fargo and 12 Monkeys.
Emotional Support Cobra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The X files, while dated, belongs on this list somewhere.
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just to add to the thread my three favorite characters in television history have to be:

Omar Little, Vic Mackey, and Walter White.

Honorable mention to Jimmy McNulty.

There was a poster earlier that listed a ton of amazing shows but left out Peaky Blinders. I wonder if they've seen it.

Lists are fun.
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Side note-my ol' gf in 2009 got me this Omar wallet. 1/100.

She never even watched The Wire which is probably why we're not together a decade later but it's still one of my favorite things.

I'm pretty pumped for the OP. Hell, this thread is making me want to go back through it all for a fourth time.


ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
johnnyblaze36 said:

Just to add to the thread my three favorite characters in television history have to be:

Omar Little, Vic Mackey, and Walter White.

Honorable mention to Jimmy McNulty.

There was a poster earlier that listed a ton of amazing shows but left out Peaky Blinders. I wonder if they've seen it.

Lists are fun.

D'oh! That's definitely in my top 10!
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Updated after leaving one of my favorites out, Peaky Blinders.

My Top 10:
1. The Wire
2. Breaking Bad
3. The Shield
4. Game of Thrones
5. The Sopranos
6. Peaky Blinders
7. Justified
8. Mad Men
9. Banshee
10. Better Call Saul


Others that I liked but had flaws (and maybe I didn't finish or wish I didn't) in no particular order:
Ray Donavan
Dexter
Homeland
Ozark
Narcos
The Americans
Goliath
Treme
True Detective
House of Cards
Bosch
BCSWguru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I made the mistake of watching The Wire and Boardwalk Empire back to back. I get my Omar characters confused.
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Peaky FCKIN Blinders
beatlesphan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sooo does The Wire pick up the pace at some point? I'm 11 episodes into season 1 and it seems pretty slow. It's taken me 3 separate attempts at watching the show to even get this far.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ever since completing the Wire back in 2010, every 2 years or so, I start to think another show might potentially be making a run for the title of greatest show ever, then I see a few clips or rewatch the series and realize that no other show comes close. For me, the Wire is head and shoulders above every other show. Its the depth of the show, it's the realness, it's the tragic characters (Dukie, Frank, String, Michael, D), it's the Bubbles character arc, it's "Natural Po-lice", it's the absolutely amazing social commentary, and the shows social impact, as well. While it sounds silly, I've seen and met many people who point to this show as the reason they decided to get involved in rehabilitation medicine or volunteering in their community providing clean needles as well as education for addicts. I've also heard from many people who cite this show as what helped them open their eyes to the plight of the poor, urban population. Not only was it a great show, it was an important show, and I think there are very few shows, if any, that can make that claim. This is obviously just my opinion, however.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm probably a bit biased since it's what I'm re-watching right now... but the character progression is just unmatched. Watching Kema turn into a female McNulty is just tough.
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
beatlesphan said:

Sooo does The Wire pick up the pace at some point? I'm 11 episodes into season 1 and it seems pretty slow. It's taken me 3 separate attempts at watching the show to even get this far.


I started watching the first episode a few times before I made it thru the whole thing. Season 1 is kind of a slow burn until about 10-11. It's not an action packed cop show if that's what you're asking.
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
beatlesphan said:

Sooo does The Wire pick up the pace at some point? I'm 11 episodes into season 1 and it seems pretty slow. It's taken me 3 separate attempts at watching the show to even get this far.

I think you'd like it if you keep going... but at this point I'd say, it ain't for you
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The main story of Peaky Blinders is great, but a lot of the smaller stuff that makes up the show just doesn't do it for me. A lot is more like the Spartacus tv show, where it can be fun to watch but not really top 10-15 quality
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.