Pick one: The Simpsons season 4, 5, 6 or 7

4,763 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Burdizzo
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FXX started up with season 5 today and I was scrolling through the episodes, when I realized it was classic episode after classic episode. I was wondering if this was the single greatest overall season of the show when I started looking at seasons 4, 6 and 7 and it became tough to really say this.

Here are the episodes of each season:

Season 4
  • Kamp Krusty
  • A Streetcar Named Marge
  • Homer the Heretic
  • Lisa the Beauty Queen
  • Treehouse of Horror III (includes the evil Krusty doll)
  • Itchy & Scratchy: the Movie
  • Marge Gets a Job
  • New Kid on the Block
  • Mr. Plow
  • Lisa's First Word
  • Homer's Triple Bypass
  • Marge vs. the Monorail (maybe the greatest Simpson's episode)
  • Selma's Choice
  • Brother from the Same Planet
  • I Love Lisa
  • Duffless
  • Last Exit to Springfield
  • So It's Come to This: A Simpson's Clip Show
  • The Front
  • Whacking Day
  • Marge in Chains
  • Krusty gets Kancelled

Season 5

• Homer's Barbershop Quartet
  • Cape Feare
  • Homer Goes to College
  • Rosebud
  • Treehouse of Horror IV (the Bram Stoker's Dracula parody)
  • Marge on the Lam
  • Bart's Inner CHild
  • Boy Scoutz in the Hood
  • The Last Temptation of Homer
  • Springfield (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling)
  • Homer the Vigilante
  • Bart Gets Famous
  • Homer and Apu
  • Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy
  • Deep Space Homer
  • Homer Loves Flanders
  • Bart Gets an Elephant
  • Burns' Heir
  • Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baaadaaass Song
  • The Boy Who Knew Too Much
  • Lady Bouvier's Lover
  • Secrets of a Successful Marriage

Season 6

• Bart of Darkness
  • Lisa's Rival
  • Another Simpson's Clip Show
  • Itchy & Scratchy Land
  • Sideshow Bob Roberts
  • Treehouse of Horror V (the Shining parody...sorry, the Shinning parody)
  • Bart's Girlfriend
  • Lisa on Ice
  • Homer Badman
  • Grampa vs Sexual Inadequacy
  • Fear of Flying
  • Homer the Great
  • and Maggie Makes Three
  • Bart's Comet
  • Homie the Clown
  • Bart vs. Australia
  • Homer vs. Patty & Selma
  • A Star is Burns
  • Lisa's Wedding (maybe the worst episode of the first 10 seasons)
  • Two Dozen and One Greyhounds
  • The PTA Disbands
  • 'Round Springfield
  • The Springfield Connection
  • Lemon of Troy
  • Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part One

Season 7

• Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part Two
  • Radioactive Man
  • Home Sweet Home-Dum-Diddly-Doodly
  • Bart Sells His Soul
  • Lisa the Vegetarian
  • Treehouse of Horror VI (Nightmare on Elm St parody)
  • King Size Homer
  • Mother Simpson
  • Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming
  • The Simpson's 138th Episode Spectacular
  • Marge Be Not Proud
  • Team Homer
  • Two Bad Neighbors (may be the second worst epsisode)
  • Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield
  • Bart the Fink
  • Lisa the Iconoclast
  • Homer the Smithers
  • The Day the Violence Died
  • A Fish Called Selma
  • Bart on the Road
  • 22 Short Films About Springfield
  • Raging Abe Simpson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"
  • Much Apu About Nothing
  • Homerpalooza
  • Summer of 4'2"

I think I'd lean towards Season 5 with Season 4 a very close second. Season 6 has some outstanding episodes, but there are too many below average ones (Lisa's Rival, Bart's Girlfriend, Fear of Flying and Lisa's Wedding) that knock it down a notch. Same with Season 7.

All in all, I'd put the Simpsons seasons 4-8 as the greatest stretch of television comedy ever.

Thoughts?
oragator
I'd go with 4 probably.
I agree that the monorail episode was probably the best of the series, I would say my second favorite is the trillion dollar note, which wasn't until season 9. But my favorite upon first viewing was probably Kamp Krusty, it was just so great for its time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've had this exact debate with a buddy of mine, and I always land on four. For the simple fact that Last Exit is the best Simpsons episode, and Monorail is in contention for anywhere between #2-#5.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And seasons 3-8 are the Golden Age of Simpsons and easily the best stretch of comedy tv, bar none.
jokershady
AG
Damn that's a hard choice!

Probably have to go with season 5 though
Satellite of Love
For those that haven't seen it, here is a good video about the Simpsons downfall:
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
LeonardSkinner
It's a tangent, but the thought crossed my mind this afternoon, "where can they go from here?" Have they wrung out everything they can from Homer and his clan?

I'd be curious to see, not spinoffs, but episodes devoted to secondary characters, without the Simpsons family being involved. Kind of like the original idea behind "22 Short Films..."
Humorous Username
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've had this exact debate with a buddy of mine, and I always land on four. For the simple fact that You Only Move Twice is the best Simpsons episode, and Monorail is in contention for anywhere between #2-#5.

FIFY
TajMaballer
AG
There are talks of another Simpsons movie (along with maybe Family Guy and Bob's Burgers)

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2455662/looks-like-the-simpsons-movie-2-is-finally-happening

Just give me one more Hank Scorpio appearance. Or have the second movie be a Sideshow Bob story. That's all I want out of The Simpsons as a franchise. I'll catch an episode here and there and there are fun bits, but in the mid 90s, they were untouchable.
AustinAg2K
I think Season 4 is my favorite, followed closely by 5. Really tough choice between those two.

Anyone else remember watching The Simpsons on the Tracey Ulman Show? I would suffer through that awful piece of trash for a 2 minute short of the The Simpsons. When I found out they were doing a holiday special I think my head exploded. I realize now that I was as big of a nerd as they come, but at the time I loved quoting the Simpsons the next day at school. I've been going through watching all the old episodes on FX recently (I'm currently working through Season 4). All the episodes really bring back great memories. Now, though, when I watch the new episodes it just makes me sad.
AustinAg2K
BTW, for anyone else who loves The Simpsons as much as me, there's a great podcast called Talking Simpsons where they dissect each episode. It's a fun companion when re-watching the show.
Humorous Username
AG
AustinAg2K said:

BTW, for anyone else who loves The Simpsons as much as me, there's a great podcast called Talking Simpsons where they dissect each episode. It's a fun companion when re-watching the show.

Thanks for sharing.

I've watched the shows so much, that I've even listened to the DVD commentary for each one at least three times.

I now pay extra attention to crowd scenes in the older episodes, as they were apparently painstaking to create, and could get directors nominated for Emmys.
mazag08
AG
The Simpsons movie was great. The show had already declined but the movie brought me back to the good times. I would love for them to do another one.

Also, the George Bush moving in across the street episode is my favorite.
chipotle
Season 3 and it's not even close:

Bart the Murderer
Homer Defined
Tree House of Horror II (monkey paw)
Lisa's pony
Saturdays of Thunder
Flaming Moes
Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk
Radio Bart
Homer at the bat
Humorous Username
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

It's a tangent, but the thought crossed my mind this afternoon, "where can they go from here?" Have they wrung out everything they can from Homer and his clan?

I'd be curious to see, not spinoffs, but episodes devoted to secondary characters, without the Simpsons family being involved. Kind of like the original idea behind "22 Short Films..."

If you look at it from the perspective of the mid-to-late 90's, I think that the focus was moving away from Bart and more to Homer. Therefore, Principal Skinner getting his own spinoff would not have been much of a negative impact on Bart's still being able to have an antagonist.

I believe a four-season series wherein he rejoins the Army could have worked (imagine a Simpsons/Stripes hybrid).

A series may have also worked where he moved to Capital City to become the principal of another school, with Edna Krabappel or Willie possibly tagging along.
The Milkman
AG
You need to have season 8 in the conversation as well. Episodes with reminders of plot:

• Treehouse of Horror (Clinton/Dole one is a part of it)
  • You Only Move Twice (Hank Scorpio)
  • They Homer the Fall (boxing episode)
  • Burns, Baby Burns (Rodney Dangerfield as Burns son)
  • Bart After Dark (Bart working at the burlesque house)
  • A Milhouse Divided (Van Houtens divorce)
  • Lisa Date with Density (Lisa goes out with Nelson)
  • Hurricane Neddy
  • El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (chili cookoff)
  • Springfield Files (x-files)
  • Twisted World of Marge Simpson (Pretzel Wagon)
  • Mountain of Madness
  • Simpsoncalifragilistxcialacoous
  • Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
  • Homers Phobia
  • Brother from another Series (Frasier episode with Sideshow Bob brother Cecil)
  • My Sister My Sitter
  • Homer vs 18th Amendment (Prohibition)
  • Grade School Confidential (Skinner and Krabappel affair)
  • Canine Mutiny (Laddie the dog)
  • Old Man and the Lisa (Burns and Lisa recycling plant)
  • In Marge we Trust (the listen lady and more importantly Homer's Mr Sparkle)
  • Homers Enemy (Grimey)
  • Simpsons Spinoff SHowcase
  • Secret War of Lisa Simpson (Kids going to military school)

Any of those bolded ones could be in the conversation for top 5 episodes of the entire series. My personal #1 is Milhouse Divided, but I think You Only Move Twice and Homer vs 18th Amendment could be 1a and 1b.

The beautiful thing to me for seasons 6-8 is that it is just joke after joke after joke. Theres no letting up and the writers and showrunners for those seasons sacrificed heart-felt episodes for more jokes. I of course love seasons 1-5 as well, but that 3 year run are my favorite with it being capped by Season 8
The Milkman
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I listen each week, but it should probably just be Bob Mackey. He is actually polished and good to listen to. Henry Gilbert spends half the time giggling and giving an exasperated "I just love how...".

I've tried other Simpsons podcasts, but their content really is the best.
LeonardSkinner
TajMaballer said:

There are talks of another Simpsons movie (along with maybe Family Guy and Bob's Burgers)

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2455662/looks-like-the-simpsons-movie-2-is-finally-happening

Just give me one more Hank Scorpio appearance. Or have the second movie be a Sideshow Bob story. That's all I want out of The Simpsons as a franchise. I'll catch an episode here and there and there are fun bits, but in the mid 90s, they were untouchable.

If Elon Musk wants to break the internet, he should dress up as Hank Scorpio for Halloween (or just for the hell of it).
Humorous Username
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

TajMaballer said:

If Elon Musk wants to break the internet, he should dress up as Hank Scorpio for Halloween (or just for the hell of it).
chipotle
Quote:

A Milhouse Divided (Van Houtens divorce)

AustinAg2K
The Milkman said:

AustinAg2K said:

I listen each week, but it should probably just be Bob Mackey. He is actually polished and good to listen to. Henry Gilbert spends half the time giggling and giving an exasperated "I just love how...".

I've tried other Simpsons podcasts, but their content really is the best.
I agree regarding Bob. He's clearly the best on the show, and in my opinion one of the best podcasters out there. I also listen to his Retronauts podcast (retro video gaming) and it is also very good.
TXAG 05
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I think Season 4 is my favorite, followed closely by 5. Really tough choice between those two.

Anyone else remember watching The Simpsons on the Tracey Ulman Show? I would suffer through that awful piece of trash for a 2 minute short of the The Simpsons. When I found out they were doing a holiday special I think my head exploded. I realize now that I was as big of a nerd as they come, but at the time I loved quoting the Simpsons the next day at school. I've been going through watching all the old episodes on FX recently (I'm currently working through Season 4). All the episodes really bring back great memories. Now, though, when I watch the new episodes it just makes me sad.

Same here about the Tracy Ullman show. I'd watch it hoping they would have a Simpsons short in it. Been watching the Simpsons since then and still do, although nowhere near as religiously as I used to. It's still good and they have redone some of the plots 2-3 times but nothing compares to those first 10 or so seasons.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Humorous Username said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've had this exact debate with a buddy of mine, and I always land on four. For the simple fact that You Only Move Twice is the best Simpsons episode, and Monorail is in contention for anywhere between #2-#5.

FIFY
Solid top 10. (Probably 7-10 range.)

Last Exit to Springfield
Marge vs the Monorail
Homer at the Bat
Homer Badman
Homer the Great (Stonecutters)

Those beat it out, and maybe a couple others.
jokershady
AG
I would also say that Season 10 is where they jumped the shark and the show started to decline.
The Milkman
AG
To me, the key to the decline is because the show started making really topical references. Those first 8-9 seasons have very timeless jokes that are just as funny today 20 to almost 30 years later. I think you see that most in the increase of celebrities appearing as themselves.
The Milkman
AG
Also, question for animation nerds. Why does the Simpsons look like this now? As opposed to how it should look. Is that digital animation vs hand-drawn? I feel like the backgrounds move separate from the characters too. Its very strange and I dont like it.

LeonardSkinner
The Milkman said:

Also, question for animation nerds. Why does the Simpsons look like this now? As opposed to how it should look. Is that digital animation vs hand-drawn? I feel like the backgrounds move separate from the characters too. Its very strange and I dont like it.

UnderoosAg
AG
Added seatbelts but still no rearview mirror.

I'd guess the pre and post HD world has something to do with it.

And I still can't work on a car without yelling "Put it in H!".
Burdizzo
AG
Satellite of Love said:

For those that haven't seen it, here is a good video about the Simpsons downfall:

That was about 30 minutes of video to validate what most Simpsons fans already knew. The Simpsons started off as sharp satire of modern culture, and about 7 years into it the turnover of key staff caused a major shift in the product from satire to oafishness.

I believe that is the natural progression of most satirical entertainment enterprises. It is difficult for most of them to live beyond that transition. (See also the documentary on National Lampoon "Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead").

It would be interesting to chart that guy's data on IMDB reviews along with Nielsen Ratings. My guess is that they wouldn't have kept it running this long if no one was watching. Although, the people watching today probably are not the ones who were watching the first 10 years.

For me personally, I started losing interest about the time they killed off Maude Flanders. That was the last new original episode I remember watching start to finish. I am not a Simpsons historian, but I think that was around season 7.
The Milkman
AG
Good points in there. Just wanted to say Maude's death was Season 11.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exact same for me. Maude's death is the last one I remember watching.
Humorous Username
AG
I think we can all agree that the WORST episode is Kill the Alligator and Run, featuring Kid Rock.

Just a terrible, terrible plot line.
Satellite of Love
Good points. Prior to seeing his video I've always argued that anything past about season 12 was no longer The Simpsons. His plot proved what I have been telling people for years. He made a compelling argument that at season 8, everything changed.

After high school I lost interest in the show because it just wasn't the same. It became Simpsons and Friends in every freaking episode.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Burdizzo
AG
I will add that one of the few modern entertainment enterprises that has managed to sustain a relatively high level of satire for an extended time is South Park. And even Stone and Parker have their off days or episodes where they look like they mail it in.
Abraham Simpson
LeonardSkinner said:

The Milkman said:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/019/304/old.jpg
Stop using my picture!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.