Academy adds popular film category

7,969 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The technical awards were the only ones I really cared about.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller
Staff
AG

Wait so now I am really confused. This is going to begin this year....
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Looks like I was already too late!
Indeed you were.
TCTTS
AG
This is so confusing. So the 2020 telecast is moving up a month and relegating certain technical awards to commercial breaks, but the popularity award is being implemented in 2019?

This is sooooo incredibly dumb.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Still, I would be shocked if the popularity award isn't reconsidered/cancelled before then. This is blowing up in the Academy's face.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

So we can't have just ONE night to honor those people simply because Average Joe Movie Goer doesn't give a sh*t?
No problem if they want to honor these people, but why the F*** do people who enjoy movies just for sake of the entertainment but who do not share the political views of many of these people have to be told ad nauseum that they are bad, they are evil, that are x-ists, whatever? I used to watch these awards shows religiously, but I refuse to listen to any moron who gets up in front of a podium and claims that I am this or that simply because I have white skin, or I voted for this candidate or that candidate, or whatever flavor of the moment they berate.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The internet is what's killing the Oscars. Why should I watch 4+ hours of something that has always been kind of boring anyway, when I can find out who won instantly online. The days of having to wait until the next morning to find out who won if you dont watch it are over.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think they're trying to find a way to get an Oscar to Black Panther. That's what it feels like.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
TCTTS said:

Still, I would be shocked if the popularity award isn't reconsidered/cancelled before then. This is blowing up in the Academy's face.
For sure. Hopefully they come to their senses. Just go back to 10 nominees. The types of films that were nominated when that was the case were spot-on. Hit all the genre boxes, while still giving small films a place as well.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

So we can't have just ONE night to honor those people simply because Average Joe Movie Goer doesn't give a sh*t?
No problem if they want to honor these people, but why the F*** do people who enjoy movies just for sake of the entertainment but who do not share the political views of many of these people have to be told ad nauseum that they are bad, they are evil, that are x-ists, whatever? I used to watch these awards shows religiously, but I refuse to listen to any moron who gets up in front of a podium and claims that I am this or that simply because I have white skin, or I voted for this candidate or that candidate, or whatever flavor of the moment they berate.
I agree. I don't endorse all the political finger waving in this type of setting either. But if you tell them not to, it's just going to make them want to do it even more. I honestly don't know what the answer is when it comes to this issue.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think they're trying to find a way to get an Oscar to Black Panther. That's what it feels like.
But Black Panther is already a shoe-in for a Best Picture nomination. I don't agree in terms of quality, as I didn't think it was all that great (comparatively), but there's absolutely no way it's not nominated. Every Oscar pundit agrees on this point. So why is that not enough?
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller
Staff
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But Black Panther is already a shoe-in for a Best Picture nomination. I don't agree in terms of quality, as I didn't think it was all that great (comparatively), but there's absolutely no way it's not nominated. Every Oscar pundit agrees on this point. So why is that not enough?
Maybe the academy doesn't want it to be nominated for best picture, and this is the best way they can work around it. Why nominate it for best picture, where it surely won't win, when you can nominate for best "popular" picture, where it probably will win. Then its best picture slot can go to a film that "matters", like whatever Meryl Streep is in this fall.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, but it just re-iterates what a bullsh*t, second-rate award it will be, and will ALWAYS be perceived as such. No one is ever going to take that category seriously. So what's the point?
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Zip 88
Quad Dog said:

As a tangent: what categories should they add?

Best Direct-To-Video

Best Picture NOT a Reboot/Remake of an Original Released Less Than 10 Years Ago

TCTTS
AG
veryfuller
Staff
AG
They need to go back to 10, like they did in 2010 & 2011. The members had to pick their top 10 movies (instead of only 5). After 2 years of that, they went back to having the member pick 5, then nominating 5-10 depending on how many votes each had (its SUPER convoluted). Making the members pick 10 each really forces them to bring in some of the more popular movies. Limiting them to 5 means limiting the field.

I mean look at these lists:

The Hurt Locker
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

The King's Speech
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

After they changed it, it was back to indies and important movies only.
TCTTS
AG
This, all the way.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
First of all, I appreciate the kind words.

But secondly, I feel like I've made an concerted effort in the past few months to effusively praise every good movie I've seen of late, have excitedly posted more trailer threads than usual that I'm genuinely excited about, and have gone out of my way to stomp out negativity not just from myself but others in certain threads as well (such as the Star Wars threads, for example).

Save for the Who Is America? thread, where else have I been "so damn angry"?

As for this thread, I'm going to react negatively when something negative happens. It's as simple as that.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

I agree. I don't endorse all the political finger waving in this type of setting either. But if you tell them not to, it's just going to make them want to do it even more. I honestly don't know what the answer is when it comes to this issue.
Oh, I'm not telling anyone they cannot have their opinion, or share it. They are free to hold whatever opinions they wish. But I suppose indirectly I am telling them to STFU by simply not watching now for 20 years. (We see how much impact my not watching has had ... exactly zero.)
Know Your Enemy
AG
TCTTS said:

Save for the Who Is America? thread, where else have I been "so damn angry"?
This thread is overflowing with angry TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Ha, ok. I forgot about that one. Admittedly, usually like one movie a year will REALLY set me off. Last year it was Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. This year it was Sorry to Bother You.
AgPediRPh
AG
So Fast and the Furious will start winning nonstop
TCTTS
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think they should add best popular actor, so Adam Sandler can finally win an award.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Any time I see "Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" I think of Stefon using that to describe New York's hottest club.
InternetFan02
AG
They missed another chance to recognize all the contributions by women in the industry. Same old sausage fest

Best female director
Best female screenwriter
Best female cinematographer
Etc
/redstone

Best transgendered performer
Best direct to streaming film
Best faith based film
Best right wing documentary
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Best adult film would be awesome purely for the entertainment value of watching the audiences faces during the winner's speech.
TCTTS
AG
Fenrir
TCTTS said:

I mean this is a stupid thing they're doing but this is an even dumber point. If we're going to try to make racial comparisons (which is ****ing stupid in the first place), what they're trying to do is more akin to affirmative action than segregation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.