Academy adds popular film category

7,965 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
veryfuller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Here is the story:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/academy-sets-three-hour-broadcast-adds-popular-film-category-1202899382/

Thoughts? Does anyone even watch the Oscars anymore?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Curious what the criteria will be. Box office numbers, audience ratings?

But not that I really care. I have not watched the Oscars since probably 1998, and I only watched that year because Saving Private Ryan was heavily nominated and was (still is) a fantastic movie. Even back then, I was tiring of all the political crap (nearly all of which I fundamentally disagreed with); I can only imagine how bad it is now.
LeonardSkinner
They could call it something like the people's choice award. Unless that name is already taken, or whatever.
TCTTS
AG
These are the dumbest two changes the Academy could have possibly made. The "popular" award is meaningless, pandering bullsh*t, while choosing to relegate certain technical awards to commercial breaks is a slap in the face to the unsung few who get to share the spotlight with the stars for one night.

That said, I haven't seen an eruption like this in quite some time from the film community, to the point where the Academy will surely reverse at least one of these decisions. People are IRATE right now and these changes are not going over well at all.

Anyway, as most Oscar threads on this board go, this will quickly devolve into a bunch of people bragging about how long it's been since they've watched/cared about the Oscars, others will let us know that it's a bunch of elite, political BS anyway, so I'm just getting my two cents in before people start showing up in an entertainment board thread to complain about awards given for entertainment.
Flashdiaz
AG
will that be presented before or after the lecturing award?
TCTTS
AG
Looks like I was already too late!
SteveA
AG
Most people that watch the oscars don't care about any of the technical awards.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I also think this is a stupid decision. Instead of educating the older Academy members on how to expand their idea of what "best" means for best picture, or allowing the rapid influx of new members to show how their tastes will change the oscars, they are throwing in an award that will basically be a ghetto for movies that aren't "important" enough.

Loved this^^
TCTTS
AG
So we can't have just ONE night to honor those people simply because Average Joe Movie Goer doesn't give a sh*t?
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller
Staff
AG
This news just came out as well:

https://ew.com/awards/2018/08/08/producers-guild-new-award-streaming-televised-movies/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

That is VERY interesting. How long before they just allow these to be combined with the theatrical releases? I guess it will take a few years of the streaming movies being considered "important" as well.
White Liberals=The Worst
Hollywood is so out of touch they keep nominating artsy little niche films for best picture. I saw Shape of Water even though I knew it was about Alien bestiality going into it (Wife didn't believe the mute fornicates with the Alien beast and insisted we watch it), and it was just as ho-hum as I predicted. Extremely overrated. But you just knew Hollywood was going to trip over itself to give this movie the award.

Hollywood basically comes across as uber elite hipsters..."Only WE know true art when we see it".

I always think of Hollywood as the Maude Lebowski of the world.
White Liberals=The Worst
TCTTS said:

I get his point, and there's some truth there...but some of the best pictures have been ridiculous over the years.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
I agree completely. But I don't think that the fix is to create what essentially amounts to a fake, runner up award for blockbusters.
White Liberals=The Worst
Best way to improve ratings is for Hollywood to tone down the preachy narcissism and quit rambling about politics like a bunch of obsessed psychos. That has driven countless people away who use entertainment, sports etc as a form of escape from the constant politics and other drama in their lives.

Hollyweird will NEVER figure this out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Basically an award for Marvel movies?

Gotta think it goes to IW. (Though Fallout deserves it IMO)
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Also, just FYI, this doesn't take effect - IF it takes effect - until the 2020 awards. So no Black Panther, IW, M:I6 consideration.
White Liberals=The Worst
TCTTS said:

I agree completely. But I don't think that the fix is to create what essentially amounts to a fake, runner up award for blockbusters.
I agree...seems like a cheesy fake approach.

Do they weigh in popularity at all when determining best film? If not, maybe they could implement that as just one additional judging factor out of the many already in place? Honestly, I have no clue what the judging consists of so that may be stupid as well.

veryfuller
Staff
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, just FYI, this doesn't take effect - IF it takes effect - until the 2020 awards. So no Black Panther, IW, M:I6 consideration.
Black Panther is getting a BP nod anyway....imo

Also, this is a great point:

TCTTS
AG
That seems to be the easiest alternative fix I'm seeing mentioned elsewhere. Just make the BP category ALWAYS ten movies (sometimes it's eight or nine based on some stupid voting rule/outcome). And then expand the criteria / encourage voters to include at least one blockbuster on the ballot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Probably. But if BP gets the nod in place of MI6, that'll just piss me off.
TCTTS
AG
Excellent point.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Probably. But if BP gets the nod in place of MI6, that'll just piss me off.
Ha I hear that. They are both excellent. Black Panther feels like a more complete film to me, as in all the categories are at the top of their game (including the set production, the costumes, acting, etc.) so it makes more sense as a BP nominee to me. All the branches will love it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why isn't there an Oscar for stunts?
Quad Dog
AG
As a tangent: what categories should they add?
Best Voice Acting
Best Motion Capture Performance
Best Stunt
Stuntman and Stuntwoman
TCTTS
AG
One of the many reasons a lot of people are pissed. It's been widely acknowledged for a few years now that if the Oscars ever added categories, this would be the first to add, and deservingly so.
TCTTS
AG
Best Casting Director
TCTTS
AG
As for stunts, it would be more of a team thing, not an individual.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Quad Dog said:

As a tangent: what categories should they add?
Best Voice Acting
Best Motion Capture Performance
Best Stunt
Stuntman and Stuntwoman

For the acting categories, maybe add a slot or two and allow for an expansion on what best actor/actress can be. Voice acting and mo-cap are still acting.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Whenever mocap becomes a category or becomes eligible in the acting categories, a Special Achievement one should be immediately given to Andy Serkis.
Quad Dog
AG
The interesting twist could be that Motion Capture and Voice Acting are gender neutral.
Fenrir
TCTTS said:

So we can't have just ONE night to honor those people simply because Average Joe Movie Goer doesn't give a sh*t?
Not so long as they care more about making money off the event and its TV ratings than the actual event itself.

They're going to have to come to grips with it eventually. Ratings for an annual 4+ hour ceremony are probably not going to improve any time soon regardless of what they do to its format. Outside of sporting events, I'm not sure most people are that hung up on watching things live when they can go watch clips the next morning that show anything worth seeing.
TCTTS
AG

(means to say "co-accepted")
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.