Sorry To Bother You

6,515 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LouisHerbertWong
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well that was awesomely unexpected.

Has anyone seen this?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Saw it yesterday. That was some crazy ***** It won't go over well with the fine people of TexAgs, though.
AggieOO
Junkhead said:

Saw it yesterday. That was some crazy ***** It won't go over well with the fine people of TexAgs, though.

This seals it. I was on the fence...I now want to see it.
Quinn
AG
What is it about?
Know Your Enemy
AG
It's about an hour and 45 minutes.
Duncan Idaho
I don't know how you could see the trailer and not say "oh damn. This is either going to be the best movie or the words movie of the year, but I am going to ****ing see it."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quinn said:

What is it about?

Go see it to find out. The less you know, the better.
Quinn
AG
Don't have the opportunities to see rando movies, but this looks pretty intriguing (after watching the trailer). Will be a good one for an iTunes rental in a few months.

TajMaballer
AG
This is my favorite movie of the year. I think it's going to be THE movie to talk about this year.

First time director's are having a great two year run between Jordan Peele, Greta Gerwig, Boots Riley, and Bo Burnham, the future of cinema is in good hands!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This might be better than Get Out.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I don't know how you could see the trailer and not say "oh damn. This is either going to be the best movie or the words movie of the year, but I am going to ****ing see it."

I went in completely blind. I recommend it instead of watching any trailers.
TajMaballer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I loved Get Out and every rewatch has made that movie better.

Sorry To Bother You is a different experience, but I have to say after only one watch, it was a more entertaining movie.

Again, I can't wait for more people to see this!
AggieOO
I didn't think get out was that great, maybe it was all the hype.
boy09
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

When I saw the trailer I thought "this looks like the worst movie of the year and I'm definitely not going to see it." But apparently it's good, so maybe I will see it.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

[
my bad
jock1020
AG
Have you not seen the movie?
Living Legend
AG
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ni**a s**t ni**a s**t ni**a ni**a ni**a s**t
that's low Spilner

you basically just called out your Aggie brethren as racist scum. Small thinking.

This country is in turmoil right now. No question. But these things are complicated and never as "black and white" as the "whoke" entertainment establishment may want them to appear to be.

hmmm.

lol wut?
Urban Ag
AG
It looks like I read that wrong and no, have not seen it. will delete. My bad.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't know how you interpreted that, but you're in for a laugh once you see that in context.
The Collective
redd38
AG
The movie alternated between f'ing weird and boring, but more boring than weird.
beanbean
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Get Out is so damn overrated.
gus1390
AG
I'm still processing this movie. The last third of the movie was really weird to me. I understand the allegory, but still weird.
TCTTS
AG
Debating wether or not I should see this tonight. On one hand, it's one of the most well-reviewed movies of the year - so many people have it as their top movie of 2018 so far - but on the other hand, I just have absolutely no desire to see it as it looks way too zany for my taste. That, and I and get the impression that I'm going to think it's trying way too hard and I'll mostly fall in line with redd38's reaction above. Still, I almost feel obligated, and I try to see everything with reviews this good, but man, I'm so conflicted.

Tonight is the only window I have for the next week or so. Yay or nay?
MarkItZero
AG
Naaaaaaaayyyy!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm honestly surprised and a little confused as to how it's a debate for you.

It's a really fresh, original movie which is a departure from the usual summer fare, and you usually (as far as I recall) criticize how Hollywood has turned into a blockbuster machine, especially in the summer time.
TCTTS
AG
Just got out and, no exaggeration, that was, without a doubt, literally the worst movie I have ever seen.

It's like they somehow gave a college film student millions of dollars to shoot his very first feature, told him to do whatever the hell he wanted, and then he somehow blackmailed a handful of movie stars to be in it. It's so poorly conceived, so ineptly made, features so much cliched dialogue, and goes off the rails in the third act like no movie I have ever seen before (seriously, it's the dumbest, most random, '80s sci-fi climax of a movie imagineable).

It's like Idiocracy except not at all clever. The antithesis of clever, in fact. Yet it somehow makes you believe the premise of Idiocracy even more than that movie itself because only in a world that is inching ever closer to a real Idiocracy could this movie not only exist, but actually be getting good reviews. I like to think that I'm usually fairly in-line with the zeitgeist when it comes to movies like this, or can at least understand where the enthusiasm is coming from, even if whatever it is doesn't necessarily work for me. But this? I'm utterly dumbfounded by its current 95% RT score. I get the satire and I understand what it's trying to say, but it just says it in the most inept, unfunny way imaginable.

Yes, I want fresh and original - which this absolutely is - but not when paired with bush-league commentary masquerading as deft satire. I just... I'm truly stunned at how bad this is. It tries so hard to be Get Out's zany cousin, but makes that movie look like The Shinning in comparison.
TCTTS
AG
MarkItZero said:

Naaaaaaaayyyy!

I should have listened to you.
TajMaballer
AG
Man, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, TC. As much as I still really enjoy the movie, I will agree that it was definitely a first time director's movie in terms of editing and pacing.

I wouldn't say this is a complaint for me, but understand if it is for others, but this movie was essentially an episode of live action South Park stretched out over an hour and a half. Which is funny because IMO the South Park movie was more cinematic than this.

But the movie had an energy around it for me that I just loved. The humor landed perfectly for me. The characters were so enjoyable and the chemistry between Stanfield and Thompson worked for me.

It's always frustrating being in the minority of the Rotten Tomato ratio though. I've recommended this movie to all types of people and they have all really enjoyed it.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I thought Stanfield and Thompson had pretty good chemistry. The acting all around wasn't the issue for me at all (even though, again, I thought the dialogue was cliched). Even the basic story set up was fine. I just thought the execution of it went from amateur hour to how-the-hell-did-so-many-people-agree-to-this status in a hurry. Granted, I'm probably more critical of certain filmmaking aspects than most, but even on a basic technical level, I couldn't believe what I was watching.

As for the humor, there was one guy cackling like an idiot at the call center assistant manager, but other than that, there were hardly any laughs from the audience or myself. So much of it fell so flat in the moment and then there was just this stunned silence in the end. It was pretty obvious that the out-of-no-where third act was increasingly sobering everyone up, to the point of near shock by the time the title came up.

But look, as much as I hated it, I don't begrudge anyone for liking it either. I understand the appeal of its originality, I just can't, for the life of me, figure out how it's at 95% on RT.
TCTTS
AG
This movie also puts a pet peeve of mine front and center with Stanfield's character, one who everyone is constantly praising for how brilliant and clever and amazing he is, yet we never actually see him be any of those things. He just magically/naturally has the best "white man" voice in the game, without any practice or effort, and what we hear from him in terms of skill on his calls is never anything special or worthy of the immense praise he's receiving. I just really, really hate when movies do that. When the writer doesn't do the heavy lifting to actually show the character being good at what he does and wow the audience with a skill on screen. Instead, it's just glimpses of conversations cut short or alluded to or people saying how much he's killing it. Granted, this movie isn't necessarily about telemarketers, per se, but that is a hugely prominent aspect, one that propels Stanfield's character throughout the narrative. Overall, it just cut so many corners in that regard.
TCTTS
AG
Actually, it features TWO pet peeves of mine, the other being really terrible in-movie viral videos that somehow become smash sensations. Granted, this is a heightened world, so it isn't that big of a deal, but the incident in the video that plays a fairly prominent role in the plot during the second half - to the point of becoming a meme - is so incredibly dumb, simple, and tame, relatively speaking, it just makes no sense whatsoever that that becomes such a "thing." One of the many instances that feels like some college film major's half-assed idea in which zero effort was put into it beyond the 15 seconds it took to initially come up with.
Presley OBannons Sword
I don't think TCTTS cared for it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Mildly surprised you didn't like it but not for one second do I believe this is literally the worst movie you've ever seen. Not a ****ing chance with as many movies as you see.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.