*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

819,283 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Micah97 said:

when do you sleep? :-)

The ones I randomly read came off as "this mediocre film is paying fan service to the idiots who did not comprehend the greatness of The Last Jedi". And I generally agree with your sentiments that most people over react to these reviewers, but I hated the last Jedi and don't appreciate the condescending tone to those of us who didn't like it.

With that being said, the "soulless" tone that some of the reviewers headlines includes is bothersome.

Yep. That's the feeling I am getting.

I'm going to temper my desire to go F16 on this. But.....I am starting to get this feeling that JJ brought this thing back down to a base level where a saga is being closed out in a way that "celebrates SW" and 42+ years of fans worldwide, as opposed to SW that makes a point to well, make certain points. Spoilers I have read thus far seem to support that. If that makes any sense.

Just too many go backs lauding the greatness of TLJ, when frankly, there is not much that is great about that film. And too many quips about homage to the fandom.

At this point I am just wildly curious to see this film. Expectations have been checked. I just want to see what the hell they slapped together here. In a contrarian way I am actually kind of digging the tone of many of these reviews considering where they come from.

The Collective
AG
Given the reviews, I'll be wearing this t-shirt to the movie tomorrow night.

Urban Ag
AG
MEGA

lmao

jr15aggie
AG
Well, I guess we'll all see for ourselves very soon. Definitely a real possibility some of us walk away completely dissatisfied. I certainly did after the prequel trilogy.

I still think their biggest mistake was making the OG cast secondary characters. And not only that, they were all scattered, the gang had broken up. Terrible idea. These characters should have been front and center right from the start and they could have steadily built up a handful of new heroes and villains across 3 movies.
Micah97
AG
That or not have them in the movie at all. Maybe set three or four generations down the road with Skywalker offspring.
jabberwalkie09
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

I trust this guy's take on many movies. And he is a die hard Star Wars fan....he thinks this is the worst of 9 Star Wars films...eekk

The genuine feeling at about 1:40-2:00 minutes in the video does not make me feel good.
John Matrix
AG
TROS, based on a few smattering of reviews, sounds like what I always thought this film would be-an uneven, disorganized mess, that is still somewhat emotionally satisfying and crowd-pleasing. Sadly, I actually think this is the best case scenario regarding this franchise right now. I generally like Abrams, but he's straight up not a good enough storyteller to try and solve all of the story issues introduced in the previous films in one film. It seems like he tried, but that just wasn't going to happen in one film.
wangus12
AG
Saxsoon said:

As someone who enjoyed last Jedi, there is still nothing that concerns me in these reviews. I will be walking out of that theater tomorrow night with the biggest **** eating grin on my face. You know why? Because I *************ing love Star Wars
This is the way
bangobango
AG
Sounds like this film has the exact problems I said it would two years ago. TLJ was supposed to be the second act in a three story arc, but Johnson left everything at ground zero in TLJ. That forced the third film to have to basically cram what should've been the second movie with the third movie and do it in under three hours.

And they are trying to apologize for the TLJ, which is what I said after the first trailer came out.
Urban Ag
AG
Just watched the new trailer attached to chapter 7 of the Mando.

Holy sheet I am excited about this now.

I had a really cool marriage moment this morning. My wife has seen all seven SW films with me in the theatre going back to TPM right before we got engaged in 1999. When she was leaving with the kids this morning I told them I'd probably buy tickets today. She turns around and says maybe just get three and gives me this snarky laugh (we would need four).

She texted me 20 minutes later and said she was kidding and wouldn't think of missing this movie with me. Feels. Right in the feels.
samurai_science
TCTTS said:

Currently at 58% after 32 reviews...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker/

For reference:

93% = TFA
91% = TLJ
Then maybe it will actually be good.
samurai_science
Bo Darville said:

The very same people that loved that pile of garbage TLJ are the same ones who now hate this film.

That's all I need to know expect something I'll love.
Yoda
AG
I skipped some parts of this review from Variety, as it went down some roads giving too much information, but I think/hope it will end up representing the feelings of most fans.

"Skywalker Takes Flight"

Quote:
"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" might just brush the bad-faith squabbling away. It's the ninth and final chapter of the saga that Lucas started, and though it's likely to be a record-shattering hit, I can't predict for sure if "the fans" will embrace it. (The very notion that "Star Wars" fans are a definable demographic is, in a way, outmoded.) What I can say is that "The Rise of Skywalker" is, to me, the most elegant, emotionally rounded, and gratifying "Star Wars" adventure since the glory days of "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back." (I mean that, but given the last eight films, the bar isn't that high.)"
samurai_science
Saxsoon said:

I am listening to Binge Mode right now and got to their force awakens episode. I never realized Kathleen Kennedy was directly approached by George Lucas to shepherd Star Wars. That explains a lot honestly
A few things happened after that.....like he did NOT agree with the direction she and Abrams wanted for TFA.
The Collective
AG
Watched Grace's non-spoiler review (Beyond the Trailer). I usually like her opinion. Man... this might be a huge eye roll.
BassCowboy33
The bad reviews actually have me excited.
Sex Panther
AG
This movie sounds like its gonna be Fast & Furious meets Star Wars
samurai_science
I Have Spoken said:

Hard to believe this could be worse than AOTC

The Last Jedi already matched it.
Gangnam Style
AG
I watched both movies recently. TLJ had some really cool scenes, there was NOTHING in AotC that was remotely good.
samurai_science
Gangnam Style said:

I watched both movies recently. TLJ had some really cool scenes, there was NOTHING in AotC that was remotely good.

Same, and both are equally bad. The best scence of TLJ was the end credits.
Phat32
AG
How the **** did TLJ get a 91% on RT?
Saxsoon
AG
This movie is still gonna go gangbusters at the theater, but I don't think Disney is going to abide by these reviews. I revise my earlier comment about Kennedy out by end of 2020. I suspect she is gone a month after this leaves theaters
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Article 58-10 Offender
yukmonkey said:

are you new to the internet?
The Collective
AG
The future is the 3 Fs. Feige, Favreau, Filoni.
Joe Exotic
AG
yukmonkey said:

SJW's and beta male reviewers
samurai_science
RT is no longer relevant, and Joker sealed it.
wangus12
AG
I Have Spoken said:

The future is the 3 Fs. Feige, Favreau, Filoni.
This is the way
AMW2010
AG
I seriously don't get how people care what a critic has to say... if you love something, nothing is gonna stop you from seeing it. I don't need validation one way or the other from someone that starts their review, I don't know a lot about Star Wars but... I was personally in the middle with TLJ, but no reviews are gonna stop any of us from seeing this one. Anyone can write a good or bad review. I just don't get the critic thing...
wangus12
AG
Sex Panther said:

Oh god don't tell BES that lol
The Collective
AG
wangus12 said:

Sex Panther said:

He might actually die in the theater.
The Collective
AG
So, what's the deal with Collider? I noticed Kristian Harloff isn't on any of their Star Wars stuff... and found him on Schmoedown Entertainment Network.
jokershady
AG
wangus12 said:

Sex Panther said:

Maybe Poe will give Rey (or Finn I guess) one of these

TCTTS
AG
The "They hated TLJ so I'm going to love TROS!!!" sentiments are beginning to sounds just as tired and cult-like as the critics who worship TLJ in the first place.

I read many of these reviews, and yes, I see a decent amount of TLJ worship in them, which is telling, but on the whole, the flaws being described in this movie, by literally every single person who has seen it, come across as being tangible and fundamental - not simply a case of the respective reviewers not "getting" Star Wars or them being upset that the movie seemingly disses TLJ. At its core, the narrative sounds way too rushed, over-stuffed, and ultimately hallow, and those aren't really critiques that can be as easily dismissed as some of you want them to be with claims of "bias" and just not "getting" it.

I'm not defending TLJ or the critics who worship it - not by a long shot - and I may end up loving this movie myself, but man, the level of "*****those bias assh*les, I'm going to love this!!!" here is a level of potential denial that's ringing just as weird and bias as those who completely ignore TLJ's flaws.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just popping in to say... I'm concerned. That RT score is not good.

I haven't read any specific reviews and I won't until after the movie, but damn. This is the opposite of what I expected this movie to do. (Unite the fans.)

Oh well. Nothing to do but hope for the best.
Flashdiaz
AG
It's really all comments based on comment filler until the movie comes out. I'm looking forward to informed discussions once we've seen it (30 hrs for me but who's counting)
First Page Last Page
Page 182 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.