*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

809,308 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there a book that goes into detail of how the sublight thrusters work on the Millennium Falcon or other space craft? All of these years of watching the movies and I never really thought of how anyone could survive within the vicinity of the Falcon blasting out of the hanger.
TCTTS
AG
Here's the Empire article in full, transcribed by a Twitter user from the magazine, which is a pretty great read. Not a lot of new information, if any, but there's some nice insight into how everything came together. Definitely worth the read. Unfortunately, no new photos other than the two we've already seen (all other photos are from the Celebration panel in April), but I'll post screen shots from the article in the next post, linked to from reddit...

Quote:

IT ALL STARTED with a Jane Campion retrospective. The Lincoln Center in New York was entering night two of an in-depth celebration of the Kiwi filmmaker's work when, during a sold-out screening of The Piano, one member of the audience received a text message. He then received another. And another. Hunched down in his seat towards the middle of the auditorium, screenwriter Chris Terrio glanced furtively at his mobile as yet another text pinged to life on his screen. It was from J.J. Abrams. Just like the last. And the dozen or so before that.

It was 10 September 2017, and several hours earlier Terrio had received the first in what would become a torrent of communication. "I've just signed on to Episode IX," it read. "We're gonna write a new script. Would you consider writing it with me?"

"He didn't even say the words 'Star' and 'Wars'," recalls Terrio, with a laugh. "He didn't have to. I'd been about to go off and direct a small movie, but when you hear Star Wars, everything else goes away."

Terrio agreed on the spot, planning to join Abrams in California as soon as his schedule would allow. But the texts kept coming. Throughout the afternoon, thoughts, ideas and questions popped up one after the other; Abrams' frantic thumbs tapping out the first seeds of story and flinging them across the country to his newfound partner. And so, with Michael Nyman's haunting score swelling around him and a still-buzzing handset in his grasp, Terrio stood up, shuffled apologetically along a row of seats, and walked out of the cinema, leaving Campion's Oscar darling behind.

[Above image caption: "Director J.J. Abrams, cast and crew confront Klaud, the Resistance's newest addition, at Pinewood studios"]

"J.J. is constantly brimming with ideas and, in the very best way, he's very impatient about them! So we just started getting into it then and there. I got on a plane to LA the next day."

Less than a week earlier, however, Episode IX's future hadn't looked nearly as certain. In development for the past two years under the auspices of Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow, the film had abruptly flown off the rails on 5 September, when it was announced that Trevorrow was off the project. Rumours of script disagreements circled, but regardless of the reason, Lucasfilm had a serious problem: arguably the most important film in Star Wars' history suddenly had no director, no story and a release date drawing nearer by the day. So Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy sent up a flare to the one man she knew without any doubt could safely take Star Wars over the finish line.

"Getting involved in IX came as a bit of a shock," recalls J.J. Abrams. "I had completed VII, Rian [Johnson] was doing VIII, and I was not meant to do IX at all. But the opportunity to not just finish the trilogy, but to finish the story that George began this trilogy of trilogies was too compelling and too tempting to reject."

After delivering The Force Awakens, then the third-biggest movie in history, Abrams had taken a bow and walked away, returning to Bad Robot and a pair of TV pilots he'd been meaning to write. It was here, in his self-imposed exile, that Kennedy sought him out. Sure, it was an office just over a mile from Santa Monica pier rather than the grassy bluffs of Ahch-To, and Kennedy hadn't so much climbed 500 hand-carved steps as punched ten digits into her phone but, like a vision of Episode VII's final moments, there she was. Unexpected. Holding out something Abrams had thought lost and daring him to take it back.

"It's exponentially the most daunting thing I've ever been involved with," Abrams admits, eyebrows raised as if he still can't quite believe the magnitude of the task. "But it was more exciting than it was anything."

The director sits across from us in his suite at Beverly Hills' Montage hotel, not far from where we last met, six years previously, when he'd just started work on a treatment for what would eventually become The Force Awakens. Abrams' return as Star Wars' Supreme Commander was announced just one day after Trevorrow's departure, allaying the fears of both fans and shareholders alike: voices just a day before crying out in terror, now suddenly silenced. But with only two years to end a saga that had been four decades in the telling it was clear from the outset he was going to need some help. And so he composed a text (then several more) and sent them flying towards a movie theatre 3,000 miles away, where the Oscar-winning screenwriter of Argo was attempting to watch a film.

"I've admired Chris Terrio's writing for a long time. I called on him because I knew it would be a challenge. But I didn't know it would be quite as challenging as it was."

[Above image caption: "Top: Martial art experts put Daisy Ridley through her paces. Above: Abrams with Oscar Isaac in Jordan"]

In a time when vast, interconnected stories have become commonplace, and breadcrumbs to the payoffs in Avengers: Endgame can be traced back ten or even 20 films, it's hard to believe that the Star Wars sequel trilogy didn't have its course firmly locked in before Episode VII ever left the spaceport. But, just as Abrams himself left neither chart nor compass for Rian Johnson to navigate with, so he began work on The Rise of Skywalker with nothing to guide him but his wits. It is, by Abrams' own admission, his preferred method of working. An instinctive storyteller by nature, his impulse is to do what feels right in the moment, rather than slavishly adhere to some pre-ordained master plan. Very appropriately for a franchise so rooted in this exact philosophy, Abrams' inclination has always been, as Alec Guinness once safely advised, to stretch out with his feelings.

"You can't plan everything in advance which my 'Revenge Of The Jedi' poster proves," he says. "You have a better idea and then you implement it. When I was working on VII, I'd be lying if I said I knew everything that was gonna happen in VIII and IX. I had some ideas, but we had a release date the required us to work on VII!"

So Abrams and Terrio started from scratch. They spitballed ideas during the day, swapped rapid-fire texts at night and, piece-by-piece, set about exploring the fundamental questions this movie had to address. Not least of all the aftermath of The Last Jedi, in which Rian Johnson, continuing Abrams' story, had made some rather significant changes.

[Death Star section break]

[Above image caption: "Really big space dog just out of shot"]

THERE'S A WELL-WORN dramatic principle most commonly ascribed to Anton Chekhov that insists if you see a gun in the first act of a play, it must go off by act three or you're simply wasting the audience's time. The same, it appears, is true of dark side degenerates as, despite being sidelined in The Last Jedi, Chekhov's Knights Of Ren will finally go off in The Rise Of Skywalker.

The Knights from which Kylo draws the latter part of his name are a nightmarish squad of enforcers who do the bidding of the former Ben Solo. A rag-tag band of thugs and killers decked in black just like their leader, though far more battleworn. Armoured in disparate styles one sports a cowl, one an angry welders mask, another a checkered draughtboard faceplate they pack a similarly eclectic arsenal, from multi-barrelled assault cannon to oversized, anime-style sword, poleaxe and a wicked-looking mace.

Referenced so portentously in The Force Awakens and glimpsed so very briefly during Rey's vision on Takodana, the Knights and their role in Kylo's fall from grace were set up as a major piece of the Star Wars puzzle. That is until Johnson, who clearly didn't share Abrams' interest, dropped the idea, sweeping them briskly under the rug next to the mystery of Rey's parentage and the bisected corpse of Supreme Leader Snoke. "Let the past die," instructed Kylo Ren in The Last Jedi. "Kill it, if you have to." A sentiment, one could argue, that cut to the very heart of Johnson's film.

"We thought about that line a lot," says Terrio. "Rian did something that any good second act will do, which is create the antithesis. In The Force Awakens Luke Skywalker is a myth Rey's obsessed with and there's a warm embrace of the past. What Rian suggested is the past is a mixed bag and you can't rely upon it to tell you where to go in the future. What we're doing with Episode IX is trying to create a synthesis between those two points of view."

And so, just as the investigation into Rey's lineage looks set to be reopened, so too are the Knights back with a vengeance (not to mention Abrams talisman Greg Grunberg as pilot Snap Wexley). With Johnson's tenure over, we're playing in Abrams' yard once more, although our suggestion that he might somehow be trying to course-correct is given short shrift.

"I never found myself trying to repair anything," Abrams interjects. "If I had done VIII, I would have done things differently, just as Rian would have done things differently if he had done VII. But having worked on television series, I was accustomed to creating stories and characters that then were run by other people. If you're willing to walk away from the thing that you created an you believe it's in trustworthy hands, you have to accept that some of the decisions being made are not gonna be the same that you would make. And if you come back into it, you have to honour what's been done."

And what has been done is significant. Luke Skywalker is dead, passing on his knowledge and the mantle of last Jedi to Rey; The Resistance has been all but wiped out; Snoke is gone; and Kylo Ren now Supreme Leader Ren is more broken than ever, riven by conflict through the unlikely bond he forged with Rey. Bold and decisive, Johnson's directions changed the board entirely, his sharp turns and gear shifts delighting some while earning the ire of others.

"Any time you are telling a story that people deeply care about, there is bound to be discussion and debate," says Kathleen Kennedy. "That is something that has always been fundamental to the fabric of Star Wars."
For Abrams and Terrio, meanwhile, the new landscape also brought with it new possibilities.

"Some of the most interesting scenes in The Last Jedi are the conversations between Rey and Ren," says Terrio. "We've tried to pick up that complicated relationship that really has been present ever since the interrogation in Episode VII. When Ren takes off his mask, there's a nakedness about him with Rey that he doesn't express to anyone else. Rian developed that in fascinating ways and we've been able to develop it even further."

Ren, left pointedly bare-faced by Johnson throughout VIII, now hides his face once more. It's a development that, while not a rebuke to The Last Jedi, demonstrates the different touchstones that resonate with each director. Although, Abrams expands, reuniting Kylo with his mask is about more than just sinister aesthetics.

"Having him be masked, but also fractured, is a very intentional thing. Like that classic Japanese process of taking ceramics and repairing them, and how the breaks in a way define the beauty of the piece as much as the original itself. As fractured as Ren is, the mask becomes a visual representation of that. There's something about this that tells his history. His mask doesn't ultimately hide him, and his behaviour is revealed."

Ren's temptation by the light, like Rey's temptation by the dark, forms the spine of a moral ambiguity that Johnson build on in VIII and very much carries over to IX, bringing with is a sense that George Lucas' more clearly defined duality might be a relic of a simpler time. Neither light nor dark, The Rise of Skywalker and its characters exist more within what could be considered the grey side of the Force something underscored by the tantalising footage of 'Darth Rey' (complete with cowl, hangover pallor and double-bladed red lightsaber) that closed Abrams' D23 Expo footage presentation in Anaheim in August.

"I'd rather let that one lie," he deflects, when pressed on the subject. "But I will say that the movie has a number of things that you wouldn't expect to have happen and you wouldn't expect certain characters to do. There are surprises along the way." He smiles, mischievously. "And that's one of them."

[Death Star section break]

[Image captions: "Top to bottom: Rey (Ridley), Finn (John Boyega), Chewbacca (Joonas Suotamo), and BB-8 listen intently to C-3PO (Anthony Daniels); Billy Dee Williams returns as Lando Calrissian; Joonas Suotamo, in Chewbacca's threads, plays with his son on set."]

THE VALLEY OF The Moon in Southern Jordan has seen its share of action. Cut into the red sandstone cliffs near Aqaba, the striking lowlands known in Arabic as Wadi Rum have been visited by both real and fictional Lawrences of Arabia, stood in for the face of Mars, been the birth place of the Alien in Prometheus, and will next year double as the eponymous desert planet in Denis Villeneuve's Dune. It's no stranger to stormtroopers, either, having played host to the ill-fated Jedha outpost in Gareth Edwards' Rogue One. Today, though, Wadi Rum is a different part of the galaxy entirely, standing in for Pasaana: a new locale in the canon, and home to the bedouin-like Aki-Aki: a nomadic race of walrus-lie aliens with twin tentacles dangling from their maws in place of tusks.
Pasaana, along with the nippier climes of snow planet Kijimi, is one of several new worlds visited by The Rise of Skywalker. But most importantly, it's a place where the heroes we've become acquainted with over the past two films will come together at last.

"The heart of Star Wars for me is the group of unlikely bedfellows on a breakneck adventure," says Abrams. "And in Rise Of Skywalker it's the biggest and most dastardly threat the galaxy has seen. The opportunity here was to have this group that has now become a surrogate family have to deal with this massive horror: the war to end all wars. Not just on the outside, but one the inside, which is to say it's meant to be as much of a challenge personally as it is physically."

Abrams' war of wars has been well equipped: The First Order is stacked with new brass in the form of Richard E. Grant's Allegiant General Pryde, neo-fascist ranks swollen by triangular-winged TIE Daggers and blood-red garrisons of newly commissioned Sith troopers, their angular crimson armour giving a fresh twist on the faceless squaddies much to Hasbro's delight. The Resistance, too, will see its share of reinforcements, including Billy Dee Williams' Lando Calrissian reprising the role after 36 years. Even General Leia Organa will return: the late Carrie Fisher making an appearance thanks to the discovery of unused footage that somehow fit the narrative perfectly.

The action itself has been teased in the barest glimpses: Rey and Kylo duelling on the wreckage of a Death Star; Rebel X-Wings and blockade runners fleeing destruction; a sky bristling with Imperial Star Destroyers, their numbers great enough to block out the star.

The presence of Old Empire firepower, easily overlooked, points to The Rise Of Skywalker's biggest curveball to date. Back in April, when Abrams showed the first trailer at Star Wars Celebration in Chicago, the reveal of the film's title was almost eclipsed by the familiar cackle of the original Emperor echoing over those final frames. When Ian McDiarmid himself walked out to demand, in full Palpatine rasp, that the projector "roll it again", all present lost their **** in unison. How could this be? Is he a clone? A Force projection? Did he survive that fateful plummet down the Death Star shaft" Could Palpatine have been telling Anakin the truth when he spoke of Darth Plagueis The Wise's cure for death? Irrespective of the fine print, Star Wars' biggest of bads is officially back in business.

"Some people feel like we shouldn't revisit the idea of Palpatine, and I completely understand that," Abrams concedes. "But if you're looking at these nine films as one story, I don't know many books where the last few chapters have nothing to do with those that have come before. If you look at the first eight films, all the set-ups of what we're doing in IX are there in plain view."

The sheet scale of the task he's undertaken cannot be overstated. Star Wars has been, by far, the most enduring and influential story of the modern era. Having to put the capstone on a saga that has shaped both childhoods and adult lives for several generations is something neither Abrams, nor producer Kathleen Kennedy, looking ahead to what the future holds for Star Wars, take at all lightly.

[Above image description: "Is it time for now Supreme Leader Ren (Adam Driver) to fulfill his destiny?"]

"We don't have a crystal ball," says Kennedy. "We tried to look at Solo and see if we could do two movies a year, and we found, 'Hmm, that's not going to work.' So we backed off of that a little. But that doesn't mean we don't think about lots of different stories. That's the exciting thing about this universe.

"It's been an honor to inherit and continue this iconic saga that has touched audiences for so many years, and we feel the weight of that every time we set out to tell these stories."

The wider universe will, of course, live on. Whether through The Mandalorian on TV, or all-new movie sagas currently in development by Johnson and Game of Thrones' David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. But for the core story, what for so many people is Star Wars, the final destination is now in sight.

"I've always loved the start of something," says Abrams, "because of what it promises. Endings are hard. A great ending not only needs to honour everything that's come before but, whether it's a novel, a series or a film, you want to have it feel like it could end no other way."

And so it comes back to feeling. In a world of meticulously planned franchises and strategic, multi-phased rollouts, Star Wars, as its core, has always trusted in The Force. Abrams had not expected to be here, had not expected to finish this tale. But now, as he places the final pieces of the puzzle, he feels like it was always meant to be. There's a symmetry to him being the one to deliver The Rise Of Skywalker, just as there is in the fact that, faced with this near insurmountable challenge, his impulse was not to assemble story groups or worry about the top-down view, but to switch off his targeting computer, let go his conscious self and act on instinct.

"This story is alive, and you have to listen to it," he says. "When you land on something that gives you the chills, that's the only way you know if it feels right. You can deconstruct it all you want and try and make sense of how you found it, but somehow it finds you."

He pauses, reflecting for a moment. "I don't know how to explain it. Just the way I can't quite explain how we had this footage of Carrie that we're using. You can say, 'Oh well, it's just luck, it just happened to be,' but it feels like something else. And I neither can nor want to explain any of it."

Just as every saga has a beginning, so too will this one find its end. Abrams and Terrio have taken Lucas' vision to its conclusion, and the story that began on 25 May 1977 will end on 19 December 2019.

"It's been a pretty crazy ride," reflect Terrio. "When I was a kid watching Return Of The Jedi on loop, I felt like I was the only person Yoda was speaking to. And then there I was all these years later, sitting in a tent in Jordan doing this film. You have this highly personal relationship to Star Wars, and then, suddenly, you find yourself right in the middle of it. That feeling is sort of indescribable."

It's one that, at the very least, is almost certainly worth having a movie interrupted for.

STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER IS IN CINEMAS FROM 19 DECEMBER
TCTTS
AG

jokershady
AG
Starting tomorrow ima be all like.....

TCTTS
AG
Meaning you're going off the grid until release or keeping a look out for the new trailer/marketing materials?
jokershady
AG
October trailer
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
In that case, going into October, everyone place your bets...

When do we see the trailer?

A) Monday, 10.07 - MNF, Browns at 49ers
B) Monday, 10.14 - MNF, Lions at Packers
C) Monday, 10.21 - MNF, Patriots at Jets
D) Monday, 10.28 - MNF, Dolphins at Steelers
E) Other

The full trailers for the past two saga films released in October during halftime of Monday Night Football games...

10.19.15 = TFA Final Trailer / Tickets (MNF, Giants at Eagles)
12.18.15 = TFA Release Date

10.09.17 = TLJ Final Trailer / Tickets (MNF, Vikings at Bears)
12.15.17 = TLJ Release Date

Personally, I'm going with Monday, October 21st, seeing as it's exactly two months minus one day until the release date, though a week from tonight wouldn't surprise me either...
TCTTS
AG
I just looked it up, and we didn't know about the TLJ trailer premiere until the day before. I was going to say we might know by now if it were next Monday, but that's clearly not the case.
The Collective
AG
10/14
Flashdiaz
AG
i'm going with

A. 10-7

TCTTS
AG
Full, high-quality version of this art finally released...

The Collective
AG
****ing Maz
Flashdiaz
AG
Threepio holding chewys weapons and Reys staff and bag...
DB Coach
AG
I don't know if it's already been discussed, but that new creature Klaud looks eerily like a character from Farscape. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187636/mediaviewer/rm280020480?ft0=name&fv0=nm0362682&ft1=image_type&fv1=still_frame
TCTTS
AG
CJS4715 said:

****ing Maz

Ol' Butthole Eyes...

tk for tu juan
I'm going with a 10/7 trailer release along with a The Mandalorian trailer to draw casual fans to Disney+
TCTTS
AG
Both on the same day??? No way that happens.
Fat Bib Fortuna
EDIT: i COPY PASTED THIS FROM THE FORCE.NET ALL PRAISE TO THE FORCE.NET MAY THEY LIVE FOREVER AND MAKE LOTS OF MONEY

Good excerpt from upcoming book Resistance Reborn that shows how the Resistance is using the year between films.

A sharp pain in her temple brought Leia's thoughts up short. She squeezed her eyes shut in sudden agony. These headaches were a side effect of the healing process, the medical droid had said. She was to expect them to last for a few weeks, but between the headaches, the nightmares of being lost in space, and the grief of losing her friends and family, Leia was exhausted. What she wouldn't give for just a moment of relaxation, of safety; a few days or even a handful of hours of knowing everything would be all right.

"General Organa?"

The voice came from behind her and Leia turned to find Rey standing in the doorway. The girl wore a version of the same scavenger garb style Leia had first seen her in the previous day, only now Leia recognized touches of Jedi influence in her ensemble. She's changing, Leia thought, but there's still some Jakku there that she hasn't let go. But perhaps that wasn't fair. Perhaps Rey simply clung to the simple things she knew in a sea of chaos, the way they all did. Speaking of simple, Rey held a steaming cup of something in her hands and when she saw Leia notice, she proffered it forward.

"I brought you a cup of Gatalentan tea," Rey said.

Leia smiled. "Do you read minds?"

"What, like a Jedi? I . . . I'm not"

"I was just thinking about how much I would love a cup of tea," Leia said, saving Rey from her awkward scramble. "Nothing Jedi about it. Just"she motioned Rey forward"a welcome surprise. Thank you. And please, call me Leia."

Rey nodded, looking relieved, and hurried forward. Leia took the tea from her. The fragrance immediately filled her nose, and she could feel the muscles in her shoulders loosen.

"I could get you something stronger if you like," Rey said, pointing back toward the galley from which she'd obviously come. "I think Chewbacca keeps some caf in there."

Leia blew across the hot beverage, sending small tendrils of steam floating through the air. "I'm surprised he had this." Ah, but it probably wasn't Chewbacca that kept a stash of Gatalentan tea on the Millennium Falcon, but Han. Oh, Han. Gone, too.

"And I've made you sad," Rey said, noticing the look on Leia's face.

"Not you," Leia corrected her. "Life. This war. You are a light in the darkness." She gestured to the seat across from her.

"I didn't mean to stay. I just heard your voice in here and thought you might need the tea."

"Well, you were right, and I insist you stay. I could use the company, and you're making me nervous standing there. Please." She gestured toward the seat again and this time Rey sat, sliding her hands under her thighs and smiling awkwardly. "There," Leia said, patiently, hoping to put the girl at ease, "isn't that better?"

Rey nodded. The two sat in silence as Leia sipped her tea and Rey made a show of looking around the room, gaze floating across the communications board. Leia followed her wandering regard.

"Why aren't you asleep like everyone else?" Leia asked.

"Oh, me? I haven't slept much these past few days," Rey said quietly. "Too much on my mind."

"I know the feeling."

Rey shifted in her seat, eyes on everything but Leia. My, but this girl was nervous. She hadn't seemed this nervous when they'd met earlier. But so much had happened since then, or maybe she just had something on her mind.

"Rey" she started.

"I heard you talking to someone," Rey said hastily. "Did you finally get through to our allies?"

"Not yet," Leia confessed. "That call was from a couple of pilots I have scouting, but, and I hope this doesn't come out wrong, we need more than pilots. We need leadership. Pilots are crucial, but the First Order took Holdo, Ackbar, others." She sighed, the grief heavy in her bones. Leaders she had called them, yes, but also friends. People she had known most of her life, now gone. "We need strategists, thinkers, those with the means and will to lead us forward. To inspire others to do the same."

"I didn't know them," Rey admitted. "I'm sorry for your loss."

Leia nodded. "We've all experienced loss."

Finally Rey met her gaze, a question lurking there. Perhaps she wants to talk about Luke, Leia thought. We spoke of him, but briefly. Just an acknowledgment that he was at peace in the end. But then Rey said . . .

"Kylo Ren. He's your son . . ."

Ah. Leia nodded and drank from her now cooling cup. Rey squirmed uncomfortably in her seat.

"What happened to him?" she finally asked. "I mean, how did he turn to the dark side? He started in the light, didn't he? He told me a story about Luke, about his training." She exhaled. "I guess I just want to understand."

"I do, too."

"So you don't know?"

"I think you would have to ask Ben what happened to him."

"He wanted me to join him, but I couldn't. I thought I could help him, but he only wanted me to become like him."

Rey's face fell, and Leia could see the pain etched there. The girl cared about Ben, and he had disappointed her. "Ben has made his choices," Leia said. "No one can save Ben but himself. And I don't know if that is what he wants."

Rey nodded, a sharp dip of her chin. "I know that. I mean, rationally I know, but I guess I held out hope."

"Hope is good," Leia said, her voice gentle with understanding. "Hope is important, and sometimes it is all we have. But," she said, smiling, "what does hope have to do with being rational?" She held out her hand and Rey leaned forward and took it, pressing her palm to Leia's and squeezing.

"I don't know how I'm going to do this," Rey whispered quietly.

"But you will do it," Leia said, her voice a little louder, filled with a little more steel. "And you won't be alone. We will be here with you."

Rey seemed to steady, and a smile blossomed briefly, her first since she'd arrived.

A buzzing on the console and Leia answered. "Hello?" she called into the mike. "Identify yourself."

"General Organa! It's Poe!"

"Poe." She turned slightly away from Rey. "Where are you? What's your status?"

"Ikkrukk. It was close, but Black Squadron pulled through. Zero casualties although Jess and Suralinda were pretty banged up. But I can report that Grail City is secured. We sent the First Order running."

Finally a small bit of good news. "Wonderful, Poe. And the prime minister, Grist? Is she well?"

A moment of static and then Poe was back. "Can confirm that yes, Prime Minister Grist survived. And she's invited us to a party."

Leia exchanged a look with Rey, who gave her a small grin.

"Poe, can you do something for me?"

"Anything, General."

"Go to Grist's party and tell me what the attitude is there among the guests about the First Order."

"Well, considering the First Order attacked them, I imagine they're none too happy right now."

"Maybe not publicly. You will need to look past their words, Poe. Be alert for the subtler things. Note who still won't criticize the First Order, or who criticizes too loudly, as if to prove their loyalties. Notice who's not at the party. Did anyone declare themselves openly with the separatist faction?"

A moment when Poe was clearly talking to someone else and then, "Cannot confirm. But I'll keep an eye out."

"You do that. And see what Grist is willing to commit to the Resistance. That was the reason Black Squadron was there to begin with. Your timing ended up being fortuitous, so let's see if that buys us anything."

"Okay. Anything else, General?"

"Yes. Have fun. You survived the battle and you're all still alive for another day. Make sure to enjoy it."

"Flying's all the joy I need, but I hear you, General. Copy that."

"And let me know where Black Squadron will head next. Grail City is a good win, but we have so much farther to go."

"Copy that," he repeated. "Okay, Poe out."

The transmission clicked off and Leia leaned back, the worn chair creaking under her weight.

"Well, that's good," Rey said, startling Leia. She'd forgotten the girl was there, she was so quiet.

"Yes, it is," Leia agreed. "But it's barely a drop in the bucket of what we need."

"But every drop counts, right? A drop here and there and before you know it, you have an ocean."

An ocean. What did a girl who'd grown up on Jakku know about oceans? But Leia said, "I like the way you think, Rey. Yes, you're right. No need to minimize what Poe and his Black Squadron accomplished. Now, why don't you get some rest?"

As if on cue, Rey's jaw cracked in a yawn. "Yeah, maybe I should. I was working on the compressor. The humidity on Ahch-To caused the condensation to build up in the casing. I need to clean it out, find the leak, and seal . . ." She pressed her lips together. "I'm sure you don't care." She stood.

"On the contrary, I'm glad you're taking such good care of Han's ship." Leia lifted the cup. "Thank you again for the tea."

Rey gave her a quick nod and left.

Ahch-To. Of course. That was where Rey had found Luke. Maybe the girl did know something about oceans after all. And perhaps there was a lesson in there for Leia, too.

She shook her head, rueful, and turned back to the communications console. One more attempt, she told herself, and then she'd follow her own advice to Rey and try to get some sleep. Today it was droplets, she thought, and tomorrow it would be a river. And perhaps, eventually, a mighty sea that could stand against the First Order. It seemed improbable, but improbable was all she had.

She ran through her list of allies again, starting at the beginning.
bobinator
AG
tk for tu juan said:

I'm going with a 10/7 trailer release along with a The Mandalorian trailer to draw casual fans to Disney+
If I were doing it, I'd put a Mandalorian trailer on MNF and then at the end of that trailer say there's going to be a TROS trailer exclusively on Disney+ with the premiere of The Mandalorian.
bobinator
AG
Isn't this basically stealing? If people want to read the Empire article and it's not available online, they need to buy the magazine.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
bobinator said:

Isn't this basically stealing?

Fat Bib Fortuna
EDIT: I APOLOGIZE FOR USING THE TERM "INTERNET" WITHOUT AL GORE'S PERMISSION.

First day on the Internet?
bobinator
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

First day on the Internet?
No, it isn't, and anyone that knows me from the basketball board knows that I always post this kind of stuff.

I know some people don't think it's a big deal, but it is a big deal.

I'm sure if TCTTS had a movie showing, he wouldn't want people coming into the theater and recording the movie on their phones and then posting it on the internet for everyone to see. This is the exact same thing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well damn.

TC:
twilly
AG
bobinator said:

Isn't this basically stealing? If people want to read the Empire article and it's not available online, they need to buy the magazine.
bobinator
AG
When people say "It's not a big deal, nobody cares"

Flashdiaz
AG
I think of this one:

bobinator
AG
When you think you've found the best possible Star Wars image for the situation and then someone finds a better one

Fat Bib Fortuna
Next time I'm in california for Galaxy's Edge I'll make a citizen's arrest of TC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Waiting for TC's response...
Fat Bib Fortuna
EDIT: I APOLOGIZE FOR USING THE TRADEMARKED NAMES MAUL, OBI-WAN, AND QUI-GON WITHOUT PERMISSION OF DISNEY OR DIRECT REFERENCE TO THOSE NAMES. ALSO FOR BEING TOO LAZY TO USE HYPHENS, APOSTROPHES OR CAPITALIZING QUI-GON BECAUSE HE DESERVES BETTER.

Mauls swagger is one of my favorite parts of tpm- quigon desperately trying to center himself. Obiwan beside himself with anxiety trying to get back in the fight and maul so smug and vicious. I could have watched that fight for an hour
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He's like a predator getting ready to attack. It's awesome.
TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

First of all, let me get this straight... out of the two, massive, copied-from-another-source posts above you, you chose mine to call out? The one that will most likely be online officially in a matter of days, over what Muck posted, which is an excerpt from a book that will never be online? Yes, Muck's excerpt is from the official site, but why not gripe at him for not just posting the link? Is he not robbing starwars.com of clicks and even potential book sales, seeing as they provide a link to purchase the book at the top of their post? (Btw, Muck, I could not care less that you posted that, just using it as an example.)

While you're at it, I assume you're working your way through all the various trailers posted on the board over the years that weren't from official YouTube studio sources and calling out the posters who robbed the studios of clicks, and thus potential ad revenue? Or what about all the breaking news posted over the years that didn't link directly back to the original source, thus robbing those outlets of clicks and potential ad revenue as well?

Point is, at least be objective in your finger-waving.

That said... sure, yes, it's stealing. But comparing a bootlegged movie to a copied-and-pasted magazine article is a little much. It's not the "exact" same thing. I wouldn't call it a "big deal," either. Wrong? I'll cop to that. But it's a freaking magazine article from a European outlet. I seriously doubt my post kept anyone here from running out and purchasing the magazine itself.

If this is something that truly upsets you... maybe the internet isn't for you?
First Page Last Page
Page 111 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.