*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

739,972 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sex Panther said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

TPM and AOTC definitely win in this category. Both are great. TPM is simply iconic. One of the best posters ever.

AOTC - the one with Padme and Anakin back to back?? That's lame as hell.

I pretty much hate everything about the prequels, but I do agree on TPM... That is an incredible poster and absolutely iconic.
I think where he is going with that is Portman looks like you want to take her home to meet your mom and then knock her up. At least that's what it does for me.

I mean, geez, just look at the symbolism of Anakin's "sabre"
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Best posters from those based on the poster alone:

1. TPM - simply iconic, really told the story in one clever pic with shadow and the SAND. So much anticipation then.
2. ESB - it's easy to downplay it now, but at the time after only SW had been released with what we knew about Vader going into ESB it was menacing and iconic.
3. TLJ - the colors just evoked something so dark and sinister, and the two sides split by Rey, too bad the film let that down. But great visual.

double aught
AG
I like the ROTJ poster. Most likely because I vaguely remember seeing it as a child.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got the D23 trailer in front of Ad Astra. Nice.
TCTTS
AG
Ad Astra thoughts in the official thread?
Ag Since 83
AG
Got the trailer as well
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Got the D23 trailer in front of Ad Astra. Nice.

That's awesome, but I'm wondering if that potentially pushes back the release of the final trailer? For the past two saga movies, the cycle has been teaser trailer in April, final trailer in October. But now with IX, we've had a teaser trailer in April, a second teaser trailer in September (theatrically, even though it released online in August)... and then a final trailer in October? We know it's likely going to be a Monday night in October (with Monday Night Football), but I was originally thinking either October 7th or 14th. Now I'm thinking it might be October 21st or 28th so as to distance itself a bit from this latest one.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
It will probably be timed for when tickets go on sale, which is 2 months out right?
TCTTS
AG
It's not always exactly two months out...

10.19.15 = TFA Final Trailer / Tickets
12.18.15 = TFA Release Date

10.09.17 = TLJ Final Trailer / Tickets
12.15.17 = TLJ Release Date

... in other words, it could be as early as Monday, October 7th or as late as Monday, October 21, based on the pattern of the past two releases. Seeing as TROS releases on December 20, October 21 would probably make the most sense for the final trailer. But again, really any Monday in October is in play, all things considered.
TCTTS
AG
I've said this before, but Monday, October 7th is Browns at 49ers, and the San Francisco angle would make a lot of sense, considering the Lucasfilm connection. I could see them getting some of those back-from-commercial shots of Skywalker Ranch, and doing a whole tie-in thing, but who knows. October 21st is Patriots at Jets, and any Monday night game with the Patriots is obviously a big deal, so I could just as easily see that one, and again, the timing probably works better. Hopefully we hear something relatively soon, either way...
TCTTS
AG
Upcoming advent calendar imagery, followed by the right half in-full on the cover of Star Wars Insider...

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I hope Kylo kept his receipt for the helmet repair guy.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

I've said this before, but Monday, October 7th is Browns at 49ers, and the San Francisco angle would make a lot of sense, considering the Lucasfilm connection. I could see them getting some of those back-from-commercial shots of Skywalker Ranch, and doing a whole tie-in thing, but who knows. October 21st is Patriots at Jets, and any Monday night game with the Patriots is obviously a big deal, so I could just as easily see that one, and again, the timing probably works better. Hopefully we hear something relatively soon, either way...
They won't risk the 21st because the Jets' franchise might have folded by then.
Phat32
AG
Really could have sanded and repainted
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He should've jusy started wearing Vader's.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Wonderful concept art from TFA

TCTTS
AG
So apparently a new TV spot just aired during Sunday Night Football??? I've been switching over to the Emmys at commercial breaks and missed it. Anyone catch it?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nothing on YouTube yet.
Flashdiaz
AG
Just saw it and it wasn't new footage... it was the d23 trailer unless there is another.

Queue the 'there Is another'
double aught
AG
If there was new footage, I didn't notice.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, found a recording on YouTube. Looks to be just the TROS footage from the latest trailer (i.e. no classic footage beforehand).
TCTTS
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B2s3Q34FjyR
Malachi Constant
AG
How should I feel about this? It seems lazy, but maybe there is no photo available of Sidious since he's not physically in TROS.
5 Keys to Victory: 1. Out Hit 2. Out Hustle 3. Out Execute 4. Win the Kicking Game 5. Play with Emotion
TCTTS
AG
Or, it could mean that he *is* physically in the movie, but they never got a pic/shot of him exactly how they wanted for the poster, since the poster was probably designed long after production wrapped. Hard to say...
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I feel like that is dumb. We have seen people make better looking posters with actual images of Sidious from the other movies. Why wouldn't they just do that?
TCTTS
AG
I'm usually the first to complain about stuff like this, but for whatever reason I'm not nearly as annoyed by this poster as many here seem to be. All the teaser posters for the sequel trilogy have basically been crap. Feels like they gave up trying to do something truly cool/unique long ago, so I don't see the point in getting all worked up over this one, in particular.
The Collective
AG
He looks like Thanos in the poster.
twilly
AG
Would any of you known it was a doll if it wasn't Twittered?

On a side note, the detail on those Sideshow dolls are amazing, That photo likely has better HD details than any actually Palps photo out there.
TCTTS
AG
The reason I posted it is because there *were* a number of complaints that he looked CGI or cartoony when the poster first dropped. Turns out, those complaints were right that it wasn't based on a real pic...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I dunno, I guess I'm a big poster guy. The prequel posters spoiled me.
TCTTS
AG
IMO, even only one of those is good (TPM). Like I said the other day, the ATOC one looks like the designer made it after taking just one photoshop course - it's the most basic, stock-photo-looking poster ever - and then the Vader/cape thing in the ROTS poster is just a rehash of the TPM poster concept, only it looks super goofy and weird. I do think the final posters for the prequels were pretty great, and probably top the final sequel posters so far, but nothing compares to the vintage look/feel of all the OT posters. Even the bad ones have charm.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hard disagree. The sequel ones all seem pretty amateur to me. (TLJ is the least bad.)

TFA might be the worst. It's too busy and looks like it was made by someone trying to do too much in a newly learned skill. And the angle is weird and looks bad.

I guess what it comes down to is I really like minimalism.
TCTTS
AG
I wouldn't call that a "hard" disagree as we both agree that all the sequel teaser posters kind of suck. I'm just saying the prequel teaser posters aren't much better, save for TPM, which is obviously the best of the bunch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Point taken.
First Page Last Page
Page 109 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.