*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

750,665 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeBoss said:

That's exactly what I'm asking about. Why are his eyes red? Is he being turned by Kylo?

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The C3PO answer is out there if you know where to look.

I'm officially taking any and all clone Rey bets, cuz I don't think she is one.
redline248
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The C3PO answer is out there if you know where to look.

I'm officially taking any and all clone Rey bets, cuz I don't think she is one.

God, I hope she isn't
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

If Rey does have a double bladed lightsaber, I don't want to see it until she ignites during the movie while I'm sitting in the theater.

You clarivoyant SOB!
redline248
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

redline248 said:

If Rey does have a double bladed lightsaber, I don't want to see it until she ignites during the movie while I'm sitting in the theater.

You clarivoyant SOB!
TCTTS
AG
I'll take that bet, but I think we need to define "clone" first.

My guess is that she was somehow "genetically created," with the Force at play, via Palpatine.

Now, whether or not Palpatine used some of Luke's or Anakin's DNA, I don't know, and am not prepared to say. I don't know if Rey is a clone of someone else before her. Is it even possible to "clone" a male into a female? I'm not even sure how all that works, so I'm simply going with "genetically created via the Force/Palpatine." And there may or may not be other "Reys" in this scenario.

Overall, not only has it been hinted that Palpatine had a hand in potentially creating Anakin, Palpatine's entire master plan involved clones. The war itself - the primary galactic struggle of the Skywalker Saga - is named after and fought by clones. In that sense, I feel like the clone thread has to come back around in some way, shape, or form. Clones (and potentially genetic manipulation via the Force) are Palpatine's thing.

Further, the whole clone thing could be the perfect (but admittedly somewhat heavy handed) metaphor thematically.

Rey's last great fight... is with herself.

Only when she literally and figuratively conquers herself can she truly become who she was meant to be.
redline248
AG
For the sake of argument...

I don't think it's safe to assume Palpatine had anything to do with Anakin. His plan for using the force to create a life (to be his powerful apprentice who would help takeover the galaxy and destroy the jedi?) relied on
1) that life showing up on a random planet he didn't know about (otherwise he would go get it himself?)
2) a Jedi randomly being forced to land on that planet due to a busted hyper drive
3) the jedi randomly encountering that life during a sandstorm to discover his ability to use the force
4) the jedi betting on that life winning a random pod race
5) and that life actually winning the race

If he was that powerful or clairvoyant to predict or cause all that, he would have never needed the clone army
TCTTS
AG
But why does any of that have to be part of a plan? What if Palpatine had a different plan? What if he was going to go pick up Anakin himself (or have Maul do it), say, the very next year? What if Qui-Gonn & co was an unforeseen hiccup and Palpatine just rolled with it? I admit that it might be somewhat of a stretch, but it's not as complicated as you're making it out to be either.
COOL LASER FALCON
I'm confident in the Rey is a clone theory and I'll actually be surprised if that's not the case. I think this may actually be one of the only things that they had planned out since TFA. The weird throw away line about clones in TFA always stood out to me. My guess was that she was a Leia clone after TFA, but a Luke clone/ genetic creation makes more sense.

It also would mean Kylo was telling her the truth about her parents.

I also don't really get why people are eyerolling about the theory. It could be cheesy, but no reason it couldn't be done well and really wrap up all 9 movies.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.

Re: her parents, both Abrams and Ridley have said that Rey's parentage is going to be addressed again in this movie. I still hold that "Your parents are nobodies." / "Wait, no, Kylo was lying. You're actually [Important Character X]'s daughter." is a road they won't go down. I think Abrams knows better than to jerk the audience around like that. That said, the "genetically engineered" route fits nicely in that sweet spot of Kylo not lying (her "adoptive" parents still could have been losers who somehow ended up with her and then dumped her), but also necessitates revisiting in this movie. Otherwise, what else could possibly be said/revealed? At this point, if her parents were nobodies, why would we need to know anymore about them? Why would we need to learn their identities? Given all that we know, the clone angle is the only angle that actually makes sense in that regard.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

She's the Luke of this generation, but instead of Lucas shutting it down for 30 years and leaving all the stories to fan fiction, Disney will squeeze every last dollar out of the new cast for the next decade.
#NOTMYSKYWALKER
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

AverageJones
AG
Hot Take: They Rey we know is a clone that Luke created from the original (evil) Rey we see with the red lightsaber
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think I found Muck on youtube.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think I found Muck on youtube.

I'm about 10 years older,a foot taller, and 100 pounds heavier than that dude.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

I'll take that bet, but I think we need to define "clone" first.

My guess is that she was somehow "genetically created," with the Force at play, via Palpatine.

Now, whether or not Palpatine used some of Luke's or Anakin's DNA, I don't know, and am not prepared to say. I don't know if Rey is a clone of someone else before her. Is it even possible to "clone" a male into a female? I'm not even sure how all that works, so I'm simply going with "genetically created via the Force/Palpatine." And there may or may not be other "Reys" in this scenario.

Overall, not only has it been hinted that Palpatine had a hand in potentially creating Anakin, Palpatine's entire master plan involved clones. The war itself - the primary galactic struggle of the Skywalker Saga - is named after and fought by clones. In that sense, I feel like the clone thread has to come back around in some way, shape, or form. Clones (and potentially genetic manipulation via the Force) are Palpatine's thing.

Further, the whole clone thing could be the perfect (but admittedly somewhat heavy handed) metaphor thematically.

Rey's last great fight... is with herself.

Only when she literally and figuratively conquers herself can she truly become who she was meant to be.
You're really hedging your bets by saying clone = genetically created by the Force. The clones in Star Wars are clearly defined in AOTC based on how they are created. Anakin is created by the Force, is he a clone? No way.

I think the marketing is designed to make you have a million questions about Rey, but this isn't her movie. This is the story of Kylo Ren/Ben Solo - last of the Skywalker bloodline - Heir to Darth Vader and Darth Vader's single-greatest act - saving his own son to continue the Jedi Order.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

saving his own son to continue the Jedi Order.
What? Nevermind, thought you were talking about Kylo.

I think Kylo could possibly be redeemed, and I agree he's one of the most interesting characters in this trilogy, but ultimately I think it is Rey's story, not his.
The Collective
AG
That guy didn't need the little blue pill while watching that trailer.
redline248
AG
I'm just saying, there are so many, many different things that could have gone wrong. Anakin could have been killed in a pod race, by a tusken raid, some of Watto's junk fall on his head....
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I also think that the scene from Preview #1 with Rey/Leia hugging and Rey crying is her telling Leia about never knowing her parents and Leia revealing that she herself was adopted and never knew her real parents, but that she (Leia) would be proud to call Rey her daughter - giving Rey permission to view Leia and Han as her adoptive parents.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

I'm just saying, there are so many, many different things that could have gone wrong. Anakin could have been killed in a pod race, by a tusken raid, some of Watto's junk fall on his head....
I think the overarching theory is that it's "the will of the Force" that brings Anakin to Palpatine. It's not that Palpatine specifically engineered all these events, but rather that destiny set them in motion. Qui-Gon says "nothing happens by accident" in TPM - when Sidious really ramps up his plan by blockading Naboo and sending Maul into the fray, the Force tips one way, then balances itself the other way when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are deployed and wind up on Tatooine.
redline248
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

redline248 said:

I think the overarching theory is that it's "the will of the Force" that brings Anakin to Palpatine. It's not that Palpatine specifically engineered all these events, but rather that destiny set them in motion. Qui-Gon says "nothing happens by accident" in TPM - when Sidious really ramps up his plan by blockading Naboo and sending Maul into the fray, the Force tips one way, then balances itself the other way when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are deployed and wind up on Tatooine.
I'm ok with the will of the force pushing events in a direction...

I'm not buying into the force pushing a dark side created lifeform in the direction of the very person who created him

edit: there's just too much justification or whatever required to make it happen. If you were creating life, why wouldn't you create it in your basement science lab? How would you even know if it worked if after you got done with the ritual or whatever it just popped up in some random woman's womb on some random planet?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

redline248 said:

I'm not buying into the force pushing a dark side created lifeform in the direction of the very person who created him

edit: there's just too much justification or whatever required to make it happen. If you were creating life, why wouldn't you create it in your basement science lab? How would you even know if it worked if after you got done with the ritual or whatever it just popped up in some random woman's womb on some random planet?
Then you won't like this, which is from Darth Vader #25 released in December 2018.

And the accompanying text:
https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/12/21/star-wars-darth-vader-anakin-skywalker-father-palpatine/
redline248
AG
we've talked about it before...

My opinion is the comics are glorified fan fiction.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Unfortunately, the creators of Star Wars don't agree with you.
redline248
AG
You mean Lucas?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I mean they're syncing continuity between movies/books/TV shows/comics, so you have every right not to believe in Palpatine creating Anakin, but that's the official company line.
twilly
AG
redline248 said:

You mean Lucas?
Nope. It's this guy's universe now:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Muck, what's the name of the book you said confirmed the KoR?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Muck, what's the name of the book you said confirmed the KoR?
The Secrets of the Jedi - on this page under Kylo Ren's section you can read where it says he "slaughtered the students who didn't follow him to the Dark Side."

Aggie_Journalist
AG
Maybe JJ Abrams talked to the Game of thrones guys who will be in charge of the next trilogy and they told him everyone would love it if their favorite badass heroine went psychotic at the end and started murdering everybody.
bobinator
AG
Yeah this is pretty straightforward:

A clone is a copy of someone's genetic material

What Anakin was (and I think Rey is) is the product of someone manipulating the force to create life

And what my theory from a few pages back is is that Rey isn't the only one out there.

And the "why abandon Anakin thing" is easy. Maybe he wanted this kid to grow up with a hard life, it would ultimately make it easier to turn them to the dark side. It would also make it easier for them to infiltrate the Jedi if they were found instead of randomly appearing at the temple doorsteps or whatever.

We're talking about one of the most powerful force users of all time, he would know that eventually this kid would find his way into the main story of the galaxy.
redline248
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Maybe JJ Abrams talked to the Game of thrones guys who will be in charge of the next trilogy and they told him everyone would love it if their favorite badass heroine went psychotic at the end and started murdering everybody.
I'll be honest...part of me really hopes this happens so I can completely write off this trilogy
exitone
AG
redline248 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

redline248 said:

Check out the Darth Pageius book. It builds the back story on the experimentation that Darth Plageius did in trying to create new life, and really hinted at him creating something that was linked with the Hutts. I dont remember all the details, but I did a small review probably two months ago on the Star War thread. I will try and find it.
bobinator
AG
Also I think the last movie made it pretty clear that Rey is going to flirt with using the "dark side" of the force, so I think we can definitely expect that in this movie. After all that's kind of a key part of the journey of every Jedi we've followed on screen is them being tempted by the dark side and either falling to it or not.

Put dark side in quotes because I think maybe there's a chance that Rey is going to bridge the gap of what has previously been thought of as light and dark with the force.

Rey is going to be tested the same way. That's another one of the few things about this movie I'm almost certain about.
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.