*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

749,781 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What if....

are you saying they are the same person or one is the mother of the other?
The Collective
AG
Kylo turns to Rey... great grandmother?
twilly
AG
So interdimensional great-grandmother to great-grandson coupling?

I mean we've had brother-sister love, shoot, lets just go the whole nine yards on this one.
TCTTS
AG
We had this convo when we went deep on the potential time travel element. Yeah, the idea would be that Rey travels back in time and is ultimately Shmi's mother, grandmother, or an ancestor from even further back, and chooses the name Skywalker as her last name to honor Luke, but basically ends up being the reason Luke exists in the first place.
bobinator
AG
The only real option for the Jedi Temple would be the 'high council chamber' right? (got that name from a google search.)

It would meet my baseline requirements I've been working from:
- recognizable without CGI
- not outdoors
- not in the desert (I assume most of these shots are on location)
- something important/memorable happened there involving one of the Skywalkers
bobinator
AG
Yeah, this theory has been floated before, but it involves too many absolutely insane stretches, even for a wild theory. Namely the most powerful natural force user we've ever seen dying at the hands of Tusken Raiders.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

What if....

are you saying they are the same person or one is the mother of the other?
Rey goes back in time and becomes Shmi.

Making Luke the grandson of a clone of himself.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I just can't see Star Wars delving into that sort of time travel environment where person from now is actually also person from way back then. Sounds like Dark Helmet's speech to Lone Star in Spaceballs.

The one rule they must follow is not doing anything that discounts Vader being redeemed by Luke and defeating Palpatine.

I remain hopeful that Rey is more Obi-Wan Kenobi to Kylo Ren's Anakin in this movie (minus the terrible acting) and helps him do something incredible to redeem himself and start the Jedi Order over again, preferably on Coruscant in the old council chambers in a 5 years later epilogue featuring the two of them and multiple new Jedi along with a few friendly ghosts looking on unseen.
cbr
AG
TCTTS said:

I started thinking of old planets and Naboo was one of the first that came to mind. Then I remembered that Palpatine is from Naboo. So what if Naboo has something to do with Palpatine's return? It would be kind of cool to bookend all nine movies with Naboo beginning and ending the saga in some way
naboo was a cartoon. no sets.
Flashdiaz
AG
No way Rey would be taken out by sand people so not shmi.
TCTTS
AG
All of the Naboo interiors were sets. The had digital extensions, but the actors were sitting in actual chairs, walking on actual floors, etc.
TCTTS
AG
Btw, all of this time travel talk stemmed from Muck's Lucasfilm contact who coyly hinted at a primitive species potentially naming someone with Jedi powers a "Skywalker" - because that's what a Jedi would look like to them: a literally sky walker. So some of us hypothesized that could involve time travel, and thus where the name "Skywalker" originated, via Rey traveling back in time and using the name Skywalker in some form or fashion, and a primitive tribe running with that. I seriously doubt that happens, though.

I've since come around to the prevailing theory that after this movie, going forward, there will be no more "Jedi." That word goes away. Rey is going to establish a new "Jedi" order, which she likely names "Skywalker." So, if you're the modern-day equivalent of a Jedi from here on out, trained by Rey and her followers, etc., you're a "Skywalker." And that's what the title is referring to; the "rise" of this new type of Jedi order. In that scenario, it would still bug me that a present day primitive tribe would also just so happen to come up with the term "Skywalker" for Rey or Jedis, but whatever. I'm sure there's a way around that.
bobinator
AG
Is there a room on Naboo that you can picture in your head? Or that if you walked into a set you'd be like 'HOLY **** IT'S THAT BALCONY WHERE ANAKIN TALKED ABOUT SAND' or whatever?

I think Naboo is possible, but not particularly likely as a final shot location.
bobinator
AG
I go a little further there in that I think the movie is also going to address the origins of Anakin Skywalker. The movies have hinted that he's the product of something that Palpatine did, so I think his role in this movie (as a ghost or whatever) will have something to do with that.

Thus the title refers to both the rise of Anakin Skywalker AND the new order of Skywalker.
TCTTS
AG
That's the problem. I really can't. I just sort of like the idea of Naboo being in both the first and last movies of the saga, as a kind of bookend. But I agree that there's not a memorable enough location there.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I really dig that. I so hope that's the case.
Malachi Constant
AG
TCTTS said:

We had this convo when we went deep on the potential time travel element. Yeah, the idea would be that Rey travels back in time and is ultimately Shmi's mother, grandmother, or an ancestor from even further back, and chooses the name Skywalker as her last name to honor Luke, but basically ends up being the reason Luke exists in the first place.
Star Wars: The Bootstrap Paradox
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

All of the Naboo interiors were sets. The had digital extensions, but the actors were sitting in actual chairs, walking on actual floors, etc.
And Anakin's infamous sand line was said in a real location at Lake Como in Italy. But Naboo really is pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things for me. Even with Palpy and Padme both from there, when I think "Star Wars epic set" Naboo is probably about 80th on my list. And yes, I have a list.
TCTTS
AG
I agree. Again, I just like the idea of the bookend nature of it, even if it makes a five-minute appearance. And that maybe, since Palpatine is from there, it could play some small part in his resurrection. But I agree that there's not a memorable enough set there to serve as the final scene of the saga.
bobinator
AG
Honestly can't believe the final shot isn't going to be on/of the Falcon.
twilly
AG
Wasn't there a rumor that came our several months ago about the name of the movie being "A New Order" and some website domain alluding to that was bought by Disney? I mean that would kinda fall right into the prevailing theory being mentioned on this thread?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No iconic Naboo locations?

TCTTS
AG
That would actually be pretty dope. I just can't see it as a final *shot*, though.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bobinator said:

Honestly can't believe the final shot isn't going to be on/of the Falcon.
Maybe it's on the Tantive V? Maybe Kylo Ren has been keeping it in deep storage as a birthday present for his mom.

I understand what you're saying TC. If you ever played Star Wars Galaxies, there was an incredible secret base on Naboo called the Emperor's Retreat with all sorts of defensive structures and then this waterfall and stuff. You could take missions from Thrawn, Vader, and the Palpinator himself there. I wish there was something like that in these movies. The time of Vader and Palpy seemed to have so many secrets, but the only thing we've seen in the new movies is Vader's castle in RO.

Thrawn working the Kid n Play hair cut.

General Veers before he became a Grand Maester

SpreadsheetAg
AG
My guess:

Back where she began (clone theory)

Alderaan graveyard to say goodbye to Leia
/revision/latest?cb=20170222024238

Death Jar Jar theory
/revision/latest?cb=20130124031053
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Alderaan theory I like even better than my own, although how that would be a set IDK. That would be a beautiful tribute to Leia and to CF as well.

How about back to the Mos Eisley Cantina and Pondo Baba has finally saved up enough credits to get a prosthetic arm. Just as he's signalling the barkeep for a round of drinks for the house, Rey walks in, slices his other arm off and says "Luke Skywalker sends his regards!"

It's a head scratcher. Having it somewhere that would be instantly recognizable just by seeing it really eliminates a lot of outdoors places and CGI places as someone else said.

Yavin IV award ceremony room seems to tick all the boxes, but I'm not sure I enjoy that without the big 3 there. Death Star Throne Room II because of the trailer. Cloud City because of Lando. Other than the Jedi Council High Chamber I can't think of anything from the trailers that would fit for the last scene.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm wondering if something got lost in a game of telephone here. Could be the last *scene* and not the last shot, or it could even simply be from the last act. It's quoting someone quoting Abrams, so who knows...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Could it be as simple as the couch and game table on the Millenium Falcon?
TCTTS
AG
That's been in each of the last two movies, though.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, I'm wondering if something got lost in a game of telephone here. Could be the last *scene* and not the last shot, or it could even simply be from the last act. It's quoting someone quoting Abrams, so who knows...
Right, and I'm not sure I can believe Kevin Smith isn't just trying to make it a bigger deal than it might have been.

Jeez, already August. This year has gone remarkably fast or I'm just getting older and older at a really high rate of speed. 2015, 2016 and 2017 felt like it took forever to get to Christmas. Now we're within 3 months of the full-on trailer.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

Right, and I'm not sure I can believe Kevin Smith isn't just trying to make it a bigger deal than it might have been.

Jeez, already August. This year has gone remarkably fast or I'm just getting older and older at a really high rate of speed. 2015, 2016 and 2017 felt like it took forever to get to Christmas. Now we're within 3 months of the full-on trailer.
So Silent Bob has a flair for embellishment?
bobinator
AG
Just trying to think outside the box and zig another direction, it could be a place we know exists, but that we haven't actually seen before. We've been locked in on super recognizable locations, but what if it's completely the other way.

Some kind of Temple of the Sith or headquarters of the Knights of Ren. Or like Kylo Ren's boyhood home which has some artifacts of Han and Leia's adventures and they're taking Leia's body there?

Just spitballing some wild ideas.
TCTTS
AG
I like where your head's at, but how would anyone know what any of those are if they simply just walked in and saw the set?
TCTTS
AG
If "melt your mind" is, indeed, accurate, that implies something that instantly doesn't make sense. Which, to me, implies time travel; that it's a set that's as it was in the OT, and when you see it you immediately ask yourself, "Wait, how does this still exist? How are we back here?" I don't think there's *actual* time travel in this movie, but if we're dealing with Force ghosts and Force powers, it's not out of the realm of possibility that if Luke can project his likeness to another part of the galaxy, his Force Ghost can potentially do something similar through time. So maybe no one actually travels through time in the sense that they can affect the past, but what if Luke or Rey or someone simply observes the past? And that's somehow tied to the final shot? Maybe Luke simply goes back and observes a moment in his life when he was the happiest, with his friends, etc., that has some deeper meaning set up within the narrative of the movie?
Flashdiaz
AG
Still think it's the Yavin temple.. with Rey teaching a new crop of Jedis/skywalkers
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.